PDA

View Full Version : New pics of Cyclonus and Cheetor

FFN
28th October 2008, 08:17 PM
This version of Cyclonus appears to be the final one judging by the different colours on Nightstick.

http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89

EDIT: More pics of Cyclonus!
http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91

kup
28th October 2008, 08:30 PM
This version of Cyclonus appears to be the final one judging by the different colours on Nightstick.

http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89

It is indeed an improvement when it comes to Nightstick but that Cyclonus still feels very cheap. The sore point there is the base plastic gray bits and they neglected that.

If Henkei comes with a better version, I will get it. If they don't I will buy this one and paint the silver bits myself as I intend to do with Galvatron's pink bits.

On the plus side, Cheetor is looking a lot better in the paint department.

loophole
28th October 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm still gonna wait and see with Cyclonus.

I like the different coloured eye gimmick(whatever you wanna call it) in Cheetor's beast mode and his robot face looks too beast like otherwise i quite like it

kup
28th October 2008, 08:38 PM
I'm still gonna wait and see with Cyclonus.

I like the different coloured eye gimmick(whatever you wanna call it) in Cheetor's beast mode and his robot face looks too beast like otherwise i quite like it

Yeah I was thinking that with the robot face, they went over board a little there.

Gutsman Heavy
28th October 2008, 09:52 PM
looking better

FFN
28th October 2008, 09:59 PM
If Henkei comes with a better version, I will get it. If they don't I will buy this one and paint the silver bits myself as I intend to do with Galvatron's pink bits.
I don't think you'll be seeing Tomy painting all the grey plastic silver, probably different shades of greys. I would expect them to colour it like the cartoon rather than Hasbro's G1 toy-based colour scheme.

Hey, why not get both and pretend one is his Armada (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cyclonus%27s_Armada)? :D

kurdt_the_goat
28th October 2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah, i'm thinking the ideal colour scheme would be if they just left the Hasbro purple the same (more evil!), but painted his grey parts silver (Henkei Prime has those beautiful silver legs compared to Classics Prime's grey+blue).

I bet the Henkei will use a shade of purple similar to their Henkei Galvatron... which might be cool anyway. Might just get both :)

Pulse
28th October 2008, 10:15 PM
Nightstick looks much better - I'm glad they saw the error of their ways

I like the different coloured eye gimmick(whatever you wanna call it) in Cheetor's beast mode

+ 1! It's a nice touch :)

kup
29th October 2008, 01:55 PM
I don't think you'll be seeing Tomy painting all the grey plastic silver, probably different shades of greys. I would expect them to colour it like the cartoon rather than Hasbro's G1 toy-based colour scheme.

Hey, why not get both and pretend one is his Armada (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cyclonus%27s_Armada)? :D

I am fine with that too. What I hate is the cheap 'bare plastic' gray that Hasbro now has a tendency to try to pass as Silver.

I have also noticed TakTom doing that a bit too but they are more subtle at it than Hasbro but I hope its not a growing trend.

i_amtrunks
29th October 2008, 02:24 PM
I hope the ordinary grey of Cyclonus is paintable plastic, he needs a coat or two of any colour painted there to improve his looks.

The Cheetor eye gimmick is fine, if not a little too fan orientated, it's not what I'd call a selling point to the kids. :D

MV75
29th October 2008, 02:33 PM
Cyclonus looks miles better. And all it took was to make the nosecone purple, and to change nightsticks colours.

I do wish they did use a darker shade of grey on the wings (that particular colour on the whole thing), though.

kup
29th October 2008, 03:36 PM
I hope the ordinary grey of Cyclonus is paintable plastic, he needs a coat or two of any colour painted there to improve his looks.

The Cheetor eye gimmick is fine, if not a little too fan orientated, it's not what I'd call a selling point to the kids. :D

I don't care for it at all (Cheetor's eye gimmick). I don't see the point.

Lord_Zed
29th October 2008, 03:51 PM
They both look much better in these pics, good enough to buy localy even. Unless the Henkei's have enough improvement to warrant the current price difference.

I didn't like Cheetor at first, but he is growing on me. His beast mode is closer the the cartoon, and his face while a beat to beastly is still as much like his cartoon visage as the old one.

Paulbot
29th October 2008, 04:55 PM
I don't care for it at all (Cheetor's eye gimmick). I don't see the point.

The colour of Cheetor's eyes was a huge deal once upon a time. *nostalgic* :)

Stompy
29th October 2008, 05:24 PM
Both looking great actually. I'm over the whole Cyclonus colour issue and I think it's looking fine, if a little bare on the paint apps side of things.

Cheetor looks great. Is there any relevance to the eye colour changing inr egards to canon or lore?

Now the wait for local release.

MV75
29th October 2008, 05:28 PM
Yea, in the show itself, his eyes change colour between green/yellow/red.

kup
29th October 2008, 05:32 PM
If Reprolabels comes to the rescue when it comes to Cyclonus as they did Sunstreaker and Prowl, I may buy the local version.

Autocon
29th October 2008, 05:34 PM
must say im not liking cheetor but will still get him

he doesnt look smooth enough

SilverDragon
29th October 2008, 05:52 PM
I really like how Cheetor looks. I'll be picking him up if I get the chance.

Cheetor looks great. Is there any relevance to the eye colour changing inr egards to canon or lore?

According to the TF Wiki's entry on Cheetor:

There are several variations of this toy. The initial "rocky bubble" version of the toy features blue cheetah eyes and was incredibly hard to find due to delayed shipping. The "smooth bubble" release later in the year gave him red cheetah eyes. He was released again in 1997 (what with being a popular show character) in Beast Wars's second year, this time with bright green cheetah eyes.

So, evidently, the colour-changing eyes homages the toy's variations. Obviously they had to limit themselves in the number of colours it could change to due to the size class limits and probable engineering issues.

Stompy
29th October 2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks MV and Silver for the info. At least the engineers are honouring something for the fans.

FFN
29th October 2008, 08:26 PM
More pics of Cyclonus!
http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91

I am fine with that too. What I hate is the cheap 'bare plastic' gray that Hasbro now has a tendency to try to pass as Silver.

I have also noticed TakTom doing that a bit too but they are more subtle at it than Hasbro but I hope its not a growing trend. In my experience, Takara rarely paints silver plastic silver.

As for fully-painted prototypes used for packaging and promotional photos, check out Galaxy Force. All the protos in that were fully painted, so you had Galaxy Convoy pics with shiny silver paint on all his silver/grey plastic, which of course, would have never made it onto the final toy due to budget.

Both companies have been doing this for years, so I don't see why it's such an exception for Hasbro to be doing business as usual now.

MV75
29th October 2008, 08:57 PM
It's still amazing what the purple nosecone alone does for that figure.

blackie
29th October 2008, 09:34 PM
what i cant understand is how the arms and the legs can have 2 different shades of gray, one being a more brown colour, common kids, colour matching isnt that hard is it?????

FFN
29th October 2008, 09:38 PM
I think it's supposed to be a gold-bronzey colour to match his stomach grill.

kup
29th October 2008, 09:50 PM
I think it's supposed to be a gold-bronzey colour to match his stomach grill.

Major Edit: I had a good look at it (Before I only saw the first pic) and it is indeed a vast improvement. I can't deny that. The Bronzey bit looks distracting with a yellowed look to it but it could be flash based on this latest pics but the different shades on the leg is a big deterrent and very distracting. It brings the figure down considerably..

Yep, I concede, I was wrong as there is a great improvement based on the orignal pics we saw but I still think it could be better so I will continue to play the waiting game to see what TakTom does with it and that will be the decider.

dirge
30th October 2008, 12:28 PM
I remember the storm surrounding Cheetor's eye colour. The blue eyed variant was in such demand, especially after Cheetor's released was held back from the very first wave of BW toys to the second... after the year drought of no Transformers at all, the held-back Cheetor had an almost mythical status for a while!

GoktimusPrime
30th October 2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I remember the different eye variant Cheetors being listed separately on price guides with different prices for them. The blue eyed was the most expensive followed by the red eyed and the cheapest being the green eyed, which is the one I have! :p Doesn't bother me... IMO the green-eyed one looks the nicest, but I do enjoy looking at other people's variant Cheetors too.

MV75
23rd November 2008, 09:45 AM
Are out in singapore:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/transformers-universe-classics-cheetor-starscream-and-hound-found-in-singapore-166261/

lcz128
24th November 2008, 12:24 PM
Are out in singapore:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/transformers-universe-classics-cheetor-starscream-and-hound-found-in-singapore-166261/

I really like Cyclonus!
Yes, there's the grey plastic that will be changed to silver(with some extra paint), but otherwise I still think that they did a great job with that.
Cheetor - I'm just not that big a fan of the design of the toy (saw the review by peaugh - the backpack that's part of the cheetah mode just doesn't work for me... So probably going to skip the Universe release :)

GoktimusPrime
24th November 2008, 12:47 PM
I'm also reasonably satisfied with Cyclonus. I do like how Universe Cyclonus is going for the more G1 toy-accurate darker purple instead of the show-like lighter purple that Henkei Cyclonus has. The lack of chrome isn't really bothering me on this mould so I think I'll be going with the Universe version for this toy.

kup
24th November 2008, 12:51 PM
I will have to see it in person as the plain 'Hasbro silver' on the wings looks cheap and awful in pics.

Pulse
24th November 2008, 03:08 PM
Hopefully BBTS will have these badboys in very soon... *crosses fingers* :)

GoktimusPrime
24th November 2008, 04:08 PM
I'm not sold on Cheetor atm... not sure if this toy is really a significant improvement over the original or not. Hrmm...

kup
24th November 2008, 04:24 PM
I'm not sold on Cheetor atm... not sure if this toy is really a significant improvement over the original or not. Hrmm...

I am not sure on which is better...but Henkei is supposed to have chrome blue for his robot parts.

Gutsman Heavy
24th November 2008, 06:39 PM
nah, chromed helmet and weapons

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=11104

GoktimusPrime
24th November 2008, 07:22 PM
...still not convinced. There are some parts that look even worse than the original toy IMO... it's more like a trade-off than an 'upgrade' like G1-->Classics/Universe/Henkei

kup
24th November 2008, 07:59 PM
nah, chromed helmet and weapons

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=11104

It still has a better look to universe....However I am not sure if its worth the extra cost specially when I am not a fan of the mold.

Pulse
24th November 2008, 08:43 PM
I don't know if you guys have seen this review (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=i3QL0h6WWnI) of Cheetor but it's persuaded me against the mould for good... I mean, all the backpack kibble, the spindly arms... I don't think so...

Robzy
25th November 2008, 07:41 PM
Yeah... pass!

jaydisc
25th November 2008, 08:24 PM
Both Hound and Cyclonus are notably improved from their test shots to retail equivalents.

Detailed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?sdig=1&v=PWkMNwhPda8

kup
25th November 2008, 09:45 PM
Both Hound and Cyclonus are notably improved from their test shots to retail equivalents.

Detailed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?sdig=1&v=PWkMNwhPda8

I didn't know about storage for the BFG in the City Commander armor in robot mode. Awesome!

STL
25th November 2008, 11:08 PM
I didn't know about storage for the BFG in the City Commander armor in robot mode. Awesome!

+1! Runs off to try it!

kup
26th November 2008, 10:58 AM
+1! Runs off to try it!

Its a bit difficult to push it in place as you have to play with it until you find the right spot but its doable. However its difficult to play with it as it falls off a bit too easy.

The Scream Man
29th November 2008, 01:13 PM
cheetor looks ok...Ill probably get it. But hes not perfect.

roller
30th November 2008, 10:31 AM
have they explained cheetors flashing eyes?

Cyclownus looks good

lcz128
30th November 2008, 03:02 PM
Flashing eyes?
Do you mean the opened jaw = one colour, closed = other colour?
Least that's what it is if I recall right :)

GoktimusPrime
30th November 2008, 03:18 PM
they had that gimmick on Beast Machines Supreme Cheetor. It sucked. That toy was all kinds of suck really (and suckers like me paid full RRP for it). :(