PDA

View Full Version : The movie thread

gamblor916
29th October 2008, 01:41 PM
Due to the discussion in another thread I thought it appropriate to start a general movie thread. I like my movies and am always looking for recommendations.

I'll start off with Gone Baby Gone. I rented this the other day and I have to say this is a great film with a strong cast. I was a bit skeptical at first as it stars Casey Affleck and is directed by Ben Affleck but both the acting and direction was top notch. The plot is non-linear but solid. The main plot point revolves around the disappearance of a child in a low-socio economic neighbourhood. The ending will prompt lots of discussion and there's a boatload of profanity to boot.

blackie
29th October 2008, 02:03 PM
i went to see burn after reading yesterday, and i can say that it was more superfluous than male nipples. There was no hard storyline whatsoever, only a mishmash of random crap throughout the whole movie. The only funny bit was the Brad Pitt character.

dvd movie if that..

TheDirtyDigger
29th October 2008, 02:04 PM
Just watched a good Chinese (Cantonese) film.
Koma.
Mainly about two chicks. There's kidney thefts, some good twists and some booby shots.

Recommended viewing.

Tober
29th October 2008, 06:39 PM
Just watched a good Chinese (Cantonese) film.
Koma.
Mainly about two chicks. There's kidney thefts, some good twists and some booby shots.

Recommended viewing.

I'll check it out :)

If you're really into kidney thefts and some booby shots give "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" a try. Korean movie by Chan Wook Park and the first part of his 'Vengeance Trilogy" - the other two are the much acclaimed "Old Boy" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance".

A strong stomach and very black sense of humour are recommended tho.

Fungal Infection
29th October 2008, 08:34 PM
For asian cinema fans, I'd recommend Shinobi (Jap), Bittersweet Life (Kor) and SPL (HK) and for western audiences, I've recently seen and liked Smoking Aces, Be Cool and don't forget the 2 greatest films ever made, Pulp Fiction and Fight Club (in that order).

Eruntalon
29th October 2008, 08:46 PM
I keep putting off going to see the movie version of Max Payne due to generally being too busy and not agreeing with the directors choice of casting Mark Walberg as Max. Has anyone been to see it recently? How true to the games is it?

gamblor916
29th October 2008, 08:56 PM
I'll check it out :)

If you're really into kidney thefts and some booby shots give "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" a try. Korean movie by Chan Wook Park and the first part of his 'Vengeance Trilogy" - the other two are the much acclaimed "Old Boy" and "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance".

A strong stomach and very black sense of humour are recommended tho.

I've heard good things about Oldboy and the Sympathy films, I really have to track them down.

hungta
29th October 2008, 09:48 PM
I saw Max Payne the other day. I found it ok not having played the games myself.

My friend that I went to watch it with said the story was pretty close but there wasn't much of the bullet time thing in it.

I'm more of an action junkie myself watching movies like Commando and such, more for the lame one-liners and impossible action sequences.

I saw Total Recall the other night. Surprisingly it's decent movie that doesn't really stop with things happening here and there.

Lord_Zed
29th October 2008, 11:02 PM
I saw Max Payne, never played the games but the movie did nothing for me it was totaly forgetable. After watching Shoot Em Up regular movie gun fights seem tame.

If you like action movies with lame one liners than don't forget Shoot Em Up. it's a B-grade movie through and through, but it's also an amusing parody of the gunfighting action film that makes a point of making every action scene even more ridiculous than what's come before, and its got em all. And none of that CG bullet dodging junk, just lots of guns and grunt.

I'm prety sure it now has the record for the highest bad guy kill count for one gunslinging character (although i haven't seen the new Rambo which may well have eclipsed that). It definately holds the record for the most badguys killed during a sex scene.

But don't just take my word for it, here's your imposible action scene complete with lamer than lame one liner.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HR32n50dIxY&feature=related

Pulse
29th October 2008, 11:39 PM
I'm prety sure it now has the record for the highest bad guy kill count for one gunslinging character (although i haven't seen the new Rambo which may well have eclipsed that).

& in the genre of Rambo, I recommend "The Condemned" (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=U0w3vKgka_Y) with Stone Cold & Vinnie Jones. The amount of creativity in the death scenes is mind-blowing... :D

Bartrim
30th October 2008, 02:15 PM
I'm more of an action junkie myself watching movies like Commando and such, more for the lame one-liners and impossible action sequences.

If you like over the top action and bad comedy you can't beat Bad Boys 2 in my opinion. That is one of my favourite movies where I can just shut my brain off and laugh myself stupid (The scene in the electronics store still makes me laugh so hard I almost cry)

Also along these lines although it doesn't have as much action but it has some classic one liners "The adventures of Ford Fairlane" is an absolute classic.

"Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life" :D

gamblor916
3rd November 2008, 04:17 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/underworldriseofthelycans/

This looks like it might be a fun flick. I enjoyed 3/4 of Underworld 1, gave part 2 a pass but this prequel I'm really looking forward to. Werewolves vs vampires with swords and armour, how can you go wrong? Rhona Mitra looks good in chainmail :) She was smokin hot in Doomsday, which is a fun flick as well. I'd call it a futuristic post-apocalyptic, plague, action movie, with some mediaeval elements. Yes there are plot holes and some serious WTF moments but it's an enjoyable 2 hours.

jacksplatt11
3rd November 2008, 04:26 PM
No Kate Beckinsale? Hmmm she made the first 2 bearable, for obvious reasons ;)... They were ok movies while not being great, might check it out when it comes out on DVD..

STL
8th January 2009, 01:54 AM
Having finished the write up of the latest Melbourne meet, I'm off to watch the original Batman movie with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson in it. I haven't seen it in over 15 years I'd wager but have only fond memories of it. Found it today on the way to my mate's place to watch the cricket despite looking for it for the last week at Big W and Target who advertised it yet didn't have it at any. So excited but I am worried about how the movie has withstood the test of time. Thoughts tmrw or later. :D

Omega Supreme
8th January 2009, 08:13 AM
The other day I got a chance to watch The Forbidden Kingdom with Jet Li & Jackie Chan, its kind of a family oriented movie but it did have many great fight scenes. Without spoiling the movie for you, its worth mentioning that this movie has the character "Monkey" from the old "Monkey Magic" show in it, he looks very different but it was great for me personally being a fan of the original show to see the character brought back to life.

i_amtrunks
8th January 2009, 09:30 AM
The other day I got a chance to watch The Forbidden Kingdom with Jet Li & Jackie Chan, its kind of a family oriented movie but it did have many great fight scenes. Without spoiling the movie for you, its worth mentioning that this movie has the character "Monkey" from the old "Monkey Magic" show in it, he looks very different but it was great for me personally being a fan of the original show to see the character brought back to life.

Forbidden Kingdom, where the traditional Chinese Story "Journey to the West" meets the Hollywood film "Karate Kid".

There is a 4 or 5 minute segment about halfway through the film that is really worth watching, the rest of the movie will not enrich your life in the slightest.

However it still looks like Forbidden kingdom is a far better movie than the upcoming Dragonball Movie will be, both movies are based off the same story (Journey to the West).

heroic_decepticon
9th January 2009, 01:22 AM
*maybe spoiler warning*

These are my thoughts...

The curious case of Benjamin Button is about symmetry.

B is the second letter of the alphabet, 2.
Benjamin Button is 2 and 2.

2 and 2 = 4. The 4th letter of the alphabet is 'd'. Daisy starts with 'D'.

A button usually has 4 holes to thread through. 2 on top, 2 at the bottom. This brings us back to 2 - 2, Benjamin Button.

His father bequeaths him a factory - Button's Buttons, B and B again, 2 and 2.

The film is symmetrical.

Benjamin Button is at any one time both x years young and x years old. He is at any one time, young and old. In the beginning, he was physically old but mentally young; in the end, he was physically young and mentally old.

A doctor was there in the beginning; a doctor was there at the end.

The humming bird was seen twice, both times at the death of people dear to him.

The lady swims the English channel twice, once before she meets Benjamin and once after.

He left Caroline when she was 2; he returned when she was 12 (the first number is 1/2 the second, the second number is 2 times the first).

The clock at the railway station was mentioned once in the beginning and once at the end.

Halfway through the film, Benjamin and Daisy were both 48, divisible by 2, and the first number is 1/2 the second and the second is 2 times the first.

The entire narrative is a story within a story; and there are stories within the story (eg: the stories of the man struck by lightning, which is within Benjamin Button's story, which is within the present day story of Caroline and Daisy, which is within the bigger story of hurricane Katrina).

Symmetry, B B.

roller
10th January 2009, 08:47 PM
i saw The day the Earth stood still and Wall-E they both SUCKED!!!

STL
12th January 2009, 12:08 AM
Having finished the write up of the latest Melbourne meet, I'm off to watch the original Batman movie with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson in it. I haven't seen it in over 15 years I'd wager but have only fond memories of it. Found it today on the way to my mate's place to watch the cricket despite looking for it for the last week at Big W and Target who advertised it yet didn't have it at any. So excited but I am worried about how the movie has withstood the test of time. Thoughts tmrw or later. :D

It was okay in the end. Not as good as I remembered but it was dominated again by the stunning performance of the Joker played by Jack Nicholson who was pretty damned awesome. Not as dark and gritty as Dark Knight but just as twisted, disturbing and maniacal.

The batmobile also rocked too. The whole driving through the complex via remote was pretty cool too.

I enjoyed but not a classic unfortunately but I'd been meaning to get it for its nostalgic value.

Paulbot
12th January 2009, 09:21 AM
It was okay in the end. Not as good as I remembered but it was dominated again by the stunning performance of the Joker played by Jack Nicholson who was pretty damned awesome. Not as dark and gritty as Dark Knight but just as twisted, disturbing and maniacal.

The batmobile also rocked too. The whole driving through the complex via remote was pretty cool too.

Each time I watch "The Dark Knight" which I did again on Saturday, I notice a number of similarities between "Batman" and "The Dark Knight", but one I'd forgotten was that Batman remote controls the Batmobile in "Batman" too.

llamatron
18th January 2009, 11:55 PM
Bumping this thread to remind everyone to go and see Role Models. ;)