PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Tokyo Toy Show

griffin
7th June 2018, 05:23 PM
The annual Tokyo Toy Show is on this weekend, and some preview pics have been released (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/06/06/preview-pics-of-takara-tomy-booth-display-at-tokyo-toy-show-2018-365120) of the Transformers display... showing us a huge display of 20 Convoy toys under a 35th Anniversary Banner (they started a year or two early for the last couple of anniversaries as well), and some upcoming toys being shown off for the first time in public (including the Encore Optimus Primal, the last wave of POTP toys and Masterpiece "toy" Shockwave "toy" Megatron & BW Megatron).

I imagine that there might be some other reveals during the weekend, or at the expected TakaraTomy presentation.

(the MP "toy" Megatron looks really nice... replicating the look of the original Gen1 Megatron toy very well)

DaptoDog
7th June 2018, 05:43 PM
Megatron looks like a hot mess in my opinion but to each their own. The colour of the plastic on the waist, neck and helmet just does not go with the silver paint. Though I do like it much better with the replacement plain silver chest and standard head as shown in the new promo pics.

On the other hand, Shockwave just pops in those colours.

Lastly, there is some buzz generating from the fact that Beast Wars Megatron has had its number pushed back from MP-43 to MP-44 meaning some other release has jumped the queue. Could it be V3 Prime or perhaps a bolter like Jazz or Mirage? We should hopefully find out in the next 24-48 hours.

MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!!
7th June 2018, 06:11 PM
Yeah, Shockwave looks awesome:

https://i.imgur.com/GPqxTdP.jpg

And really should have been what they released in the first place.

Megatron:

https://i.imgur.com/wYB5j9l.jpg

Not sold on him.

https://twitter.com/horaieso/status/1004587520611348481?s=20

bowspearer
7th June 2018, 07:08 PM
I'm betting the shock announcement is going to be a reveal of MP Prime 3.0 and I reckon people are going to be blown away by the cartoon accuracy. Even looking at an MP-36+ shot with Prime, I noticed that the torso shape of Prime 3.0 is much flatter and square than 2.0. If you look closely, the grill on 2.0 is square to the waist, but sits in behind the truck windows, which slope out slightly and form a triangular peak with the waist sides. MP-3.0 is completely square chested in comparison.

griffin
7th June 2018, 07:08 PM
Lastly, there is some buzz generating from the fact that Beast Wars Megatron has had its number pushed back from MP-43 to MP-44 meaning some other release has jumped the queue. Could it be V3 Prime or perhaps a bolter like Jazz or Mirage? We should hopefully find out in the next 24-48 hours.

I didn't notice the number change... certainly suspicious, and definitely something that they should be announcing this weekend at their presentation.

bowspearer
7th June 2018, 07:10 PM
I didn't notice the number change... certainly suspicious, and definitely something that they should be announcing this weekend at their presentation.

Prepare for your wallet to hurt with the announcement of Prime 3.0.

DELTAprime
7th June 2018, 07:53 PM

Well it could just be a typo, but I wouldn't say no to seeing a new MP mould.

Bidoofdude
7th June 2018, 09:28 PM
Megatron looks like a hot mess in my opinion but to each their own. The colour of the plastic on the waist, neck and helmet just does not go with the silver paint. Though I do like it much better with the replacement plain silver chest and standard head as shown in the new promo pics.

On the other hand, Shockwave just pops in those colours.

I think he looks like s bit of a mess too, but they did a spot on job of recreating the G1 toy. That browned yellowy grey with silver looks a bit jarring on the original, but it seems to be there for those with an attachment to the toy.

Trent
7th June 2018, 09:54 PM
Yeah that Shockwave looks pretty hot. If only he had a LED eye...

And Megs looks average. I'm assuming it's one of those colour schemes that photographs horribly but will look good in person.

hYpNoS
7th June 2018, 10:24 PM
I'm a sucker for chrome on megatron, and the color of plastic on his head ok, its ugly, but that's accuracy to the toy right there.

And if bw megs has indeed been pushed back it'll have to be a surprise redeco, prime 3.0 has only been hints so far while megs has had far more coverage unless they're deliberately holding him back.

If a redeco gets slotted in his place I hope its something interesting

Autocon
8th June 2018, 06:11 AM
Megs looks like he spent too long in the sun. Reminds me too much of yellowed plastic thats been around a few years. Shockwave is more brillant in colour and pops. I dig it more than previous colour scheme. BW megs. Has a hand now. I so want MP BWs but...$$.

spiderken17
8th June 2018, 09:37 AM
Shockwave looks awesome in that pic. I was a bit "meh" at the announcement but it really does look much better than the first one. Unfortunately i wont be shelling out a ridiculous amount of money for a slightly different version of an MP i already have.

Paulbot
8th June 2018, 12:27 PM
Shockwave looks awesome in that pic. I was a bit "meh" at the announcement but it really does look much better than the first one. Unfortunately i wont be shelling out a ridiculous amount of money for a slightly different version of an MP i already have.

100% my thoughts

DaptoDog
9th June 2018, 02:34 PM
So it's been confirmed at the show that BW Megatron is in fact MP-43, it was mistakenly labeled MP-44. So that seemingly rules out a surprise G1 announcement. Sigh.

Raider
9th June 2018, 02:57 PM
So it's been confirmed at the show that BW Megatron is in fact MP-43, it was mistakenly labeled MP-44. So that seemingly rules out a surprise G1 announcement. Sigh.

I've got to say I'm surprised by this, not because of the lack of a reveal but the fact that they didn't even bother reprinting the label. How much effort would that have taken...

ampoldj
9th June 2018, 03:46 PM
I've got to say I'm surprised by this, not because of the lack of a reveal but the fact that they didn't even bother reprinting the label. How much effort would that have taken...

This just shows how lazy Takara is now :D we should lower expectation already

bowspearer
9th June 2018, 03:56 PM
Takara Tomy's presentations are being livestreamed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ9mimPjWac) and the Transformers panels special stages start in around 3 mins.

DaptoDog
9th June 2018, 04:08 PM
Takara Tomy's presentations are being livestreamed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ9mimPjWac) and the Transformers panels start in around 3 mins.

Just clicked on the link now and there is a guy in his budgie smugglers interacting with Optimus Prime. Very Japanese.

bowspearer
9th June 2018, 04:11 PM
Just clicked on the link now and there is a guy in his budgie smugglers interacting with Optimus Prime. Very Japanese.

Yeah when the Translation said special stage, I thought the meant the venue, not the event. It's painful.

There's a second TF event at 16:30 AEST. Hopefully that's the toy panel.

Paulbot
9th June 2018, 04:13 PM
That guy is a little distracting as well as being perplexing.

bowspearer
9th June 2018, 04:17 PM
That guy is a little distracting as well as being perplexing.

And then Optimus started doing pelvic thrusts....

DaptoDog
9th June 2018, 04:24 PM

Glad I switched it off! :eek:

bowspearer
9th June 2018, 04:37 PM
New presentation, budgie smuggler guy is back, but at least there's a turbo changer out so we might get a toy presentation.

..... Aaaaaaand, it's a Turbo Changer transforming contest.

Paulbot
9th June 2018, 04:43 PM

It’s the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th June 2018, 04:55 PM
Beast mega has voice clips in japanese.
Coloured version revealed. Looks amazing. Straight from cartoon.
Anime convoy proto shown. Looks good. Has Jp voice as well.
Comes with a trailer all new mould. Prototype was only bot though. Had a photo of vehicle mode.
Gonna be big bucks.

Raider
9th June 2018, 05:06 PM
Looks like MP OP v3 is confirmed (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/06/09/masterpiece-convoy-v3-confirmed-365343?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook)!

bowspearer
9th June 2018, 05:06 PM
Fortunately this surfaced on TFW2005:

https://i.imgur.com/bHJZUW4.png

DaptoDog
9th June 2018, 05:30 PM
I have a feeling V3 Prime will be quite a polarising figure. Some will love the cartoon aesthetic while others will prefer the blockier MP-10. Kind of like how some still prefer MP-1 over MP-10 but even more divided.

bowspearer
9th June 2018, 05:33 PM
I have a feeling V3 Prime will be quite a polarising figure. Some will love the cartoon aesthetic while others will prefer the blockier MP-10. Kind of like how some still prefer MP-1 over MP-10 but even more divided.

Until they distract us with Golden Lagoon figures you mean? :P

Bladestorm
9th June 2018, 05:43 PM
I don't know whether to love or hate that gold figure but I think I might have to get it...

I love MP-10 but I don't mind a change of mould either. I'll save my final judgement until we've got better-detailed pics to look at.

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th June 2018, 05:49 PM
Not all of that prime was chromed. Looked a bit patchy in places

Galvatran
11th June 2018, 12:52 PM
Glad I switched it off! :eek:
Your avatar says otherwise. :p It's like the sun. Have a quick peep but don't stare at it for too long.

DaptoDog
11th June 2018, 11:09 PM
Your avatar says otherwise. :p It's like the sun. Have a quick peep but don't stare at it for too long.

Haha dude it was bad enough when my wife glanced over just as I turned it on the first time and I had to explain what the hell I was watching. How do I explain a robot thrusting? :p

FruitBuyer
12th June 2018, 10:45 AM
Prime really isn't doing it for me however I will reserve judgement until I see a pictures of the final model. As much as I loath the slavish toon designs, I cannot deny how better the figures are.