PDA

View Full Version : Will you still collect MP Transformers with the higher prices?

DELTAprime
3rd July 2018, 09:14 PM
With the pricing of MP43 BW Megatron revealed at 35000 yen and the higher prices for Cordon and the G1 Megatron and Shockwave toy repaints in addition to Dinobot's high price it appears Takara Tomy are going with high prices going forward.

How does this affect your collecting of Takara MPs?

dirge
3rd July 2018, 09:30 PM
I'm really only interested in the Autobot cars. That won't change.

griffin
3rd July 2018, 10:36 PM
I would like to collect them all, as feature "centrepiece" editions of select characters, but will probably have to be more selective in future.

Raider
3rd July 2018, 11:02 PM
Naturally lower prices is better but it wont likely change my collecting. If there are higher prices and a sudden flurry of new bots/repaints then that might result in cutting back on other aspects of my collecting such as tracking down missing G1 accessories and bots or splurging on the occasional Japanese G1.

Galvatran
3rd July 2018, 11:57 PM
I couldn't care less about Beast Wars. Sorry Verno. :D

I would like to collect them all, as feature "centrepiece" editions of select characters, but will probably have to be more selective in future.
One can live on bake beans on toast for the foreseeable future.

1AZRAEL1
4th July 2018, 02:04 AM

Bread and water mate lol

BigTransformerTrev
4th July 2018, 08:03 AM
I couldn't care less about Beast Wars. Sorry Verno. :D

Bread and water mate lol

2-minute noodles with frozen peas & corn put in :D

I’ll still grab any new G1 characters they release, but no more variants or diaclone characters and I never bothered with the BW ones anyway

Kranix
4th July 2018, 08:53 AM
I'm considering if I continue to buy any further MP with the exception of 2 figures, Hound and Jazz (should we ever actually see him released as an MP). Between the straight toon styling not appealing to me as much, no more access to Amazon Japan and higher prices in general I can't buy at the same rate was before. Even though there are a few more bots I would have liked to have purchased.

Ace
4th July 2018, 10:11 AM
I know that as collectors we only make up a fraction of the market that purchases Transformers, but I can’t help but think that with TT making Masterpiece figures more expensive that they could potentially damage the franchise by slowing down sales of other toys in order to obtain the more expensive ones? Which would in turn provide less money to create MP figures?

Or am I being silly?

bowspearer
4th July 2018, 10:52 AM
I know that as collectors we only make up a fraction of the market that purchases Transformers

Not in this case as I understand it. It's easy to forget, but technically and legally, these figures aren't made for Western markets, but the Japanese market. I could be mistaken, but I think it was Gok who told me once (it'd be over 15 years ago at this point) that where Hasbro's primary demographic for Transformers was overwhelmingly kids, Takara's was adults with a primarily G1 focus. It's pretty reasonable to say that the vast majority of the market for Masterpiece figures are adults.

To answer the question though, I'll probably wait for them to shelfwarm and go on special. For example, I'm pretty sure I've seen Roadrage go on special for as low as ¥3,500 on HLJ recently. I get the feeling that shelf-warming is going to happen a lot more frequently from now on with the Masterpiece line.

SharkyMcShark
4th July 2018, 11:45 AM
I've had a think about this, and realised that of the 8 MP figures I've owned only two were purchases on a whim and the rest were things that I'd long anticipated and decided I would get with a reasonable disregard of price.

So I suppose it probably won't change my pattern because I don't really buy that many MP figures, and when I do I'm usually happy to not overly concern myself with price. My impulse buy threshold is somewhere below $100AUD so this higher pricing doesn't really change things for me.

For example, I'd pay ~$300 USD for a fully fleshed out MP Movie Starscream, because it's a design I enjoy. Whether MP BW Megatron is $300, $150, $210, $294.84 or whatever, it's above my impulse buy level so it doesn't change things.

The eight figures are
Hasbro: 2007 Starscream, Skywarp, Rodimus Prime, MPM-3 Bumblebee
Takara: MP-11 Starscream, MP-12 Sideswipe, MPM-2 Starscream, MP-28 Hot Rod

The two impulse buys were Hasbro Skywarp and MP-28 Hot Rod, and mainly because I came across them in stores for about $75 AUD.

bowspearer
4th July 2018, 12:03 PM
The two impulse buys were Hasbro Skywarp and MP-28 Hot Rod, and mainly because I came across them in stores for about $75 AUD.

This is where I think a large part of the shift will happen. Where in cases like yours, this situation of impulse buys by casual fans of the line when things have been on sale has been the sole domain of impulse buyers, I think that many like myself who have preordered at standard prices in the past, will shift our buying habits to waiting until figures go on sale after shelf-warming.

bowspearer
4th July 2018, 12:04 PM
As an aside, can we edit the poll to include an "I'll wait until figures go on sale" option?

christalcase
4th July 2018, 01:09 PM
I was a bit shocked at MP BW Megatron's price but I think this will be the last one I'll definitely get so I can pair him with Optimus Primal. After this, unless it looks amazing I'll be a lot more selective and skip.

ampoldj
4th July 2018, 01:13 PM
As an aside, can we edit the poll to include an "I'll wait until figures go on sale" option?

Or get reissue with cheaper price (as the rich kids have paid the mould already) :D

Jetfire in the sky
4th July 2018, 01:22 PM

Whoa slow down there Mr Fancy, plain pasta with a dab of tomato sauce will do. :D

My MP collecting has become pretty sparse in the last three-ish years and I might grab one these days on a whim when the price is right, gone are the days of gotta catch 'em all or getting them the day they come out.
I've been surprised how well the waiting game works, it might be a year or more after release but eventually the secondary market happens and the prices are a bit more sane.

DELTAprime
4th July 2018, 01:52 PM
I could be mistaken, but I think it was Gok who told me once (it'd be over 15 years ago at this point) that where Hasbro's primary demographic for Transformers was overwhelmingly kids, Takara's was adults with a primarily G1 focus. It's pretty reasonable to say that the vast majority of the market for Masterpiece figures are adults.

I forget where I saw it but recently someone mentioned that apparently the whole thing of Takara selling 90% of its toys to adult collectors is not accurate. Apparently they sell more like 30% of their toys to collectors as opposed to Hasbro's number which last time Hasbro announced collector vs kids numbers it was something like 20% to collectors (and that number from Hasbro is incredibly high by Hasbro's standards).

That said I don't expect any kids to buy MP Megatron at these prices.

Ralph Wiggum
4th July 2018, 03:05 PM
It really depends on whats coming out; lucky my focus on MP collecting is confined to G1 cartoon and movie bots only.

The slowdown in G1 cartoon announcements pretty much means I can buy whenever any is announced.

Handsprime
4th July 2018, 04:00 PM
Honestly I don't collect much Masterpiece toys anyway. I'd get the 3rd version of Optimus and some of the movie masterpiece toys, but that'll be it.

bowspearer
4th July 2018, 04:55 PM
I forget where I saw it but recently someone mentioned that apparently the whole thing of Takara selling 90% of its toys to adult collectors is not accurate. Apparently they sell more like 30% of their toys to collectors as opposed to Hasbro's number which last time Hasbro announced collector vs kids numbers it was something like 20% to collectors (and that number from Hasbro is incredibly high by Hasbro's standards).

That said I don't expect any kids to buy MP Megatron at these prices.

I would be wondering there whether that's the whole of Takara or just Transformers. I'd also be questioning whether that still applies for the more collector centred lines like Alternity, Binartech and Masterpiece.

BigTransformerTrev
4th July 2018, 05:27 PM
It's easy to forget, but technically and legally, these figures aren't made for Western markets, but the Japanese market..

No, there is no legal issue. Even if they aren’t made predominantly for Western Markets, they can sell to them as much as they like, hence why companies like BBTS can buy up bulk stock and openly advertise the likes of MP Dirge.

The only issue there has ever been has been are the MP Megs, but that relates more to replica firearm laws.

ZoonMaster5000
4th July 2018, 07:02 PM
As my collection is now Mp only (now that the tt legends line has finished) and a sole focus on G1 animation I will continue to collect regardless of the price unfortunately.

The Only difference being now instead of buying 2 when they go up for pre-order I will only be getting 1 then acquiring the other at a later date as I have done with the recent Mp-29+ release.

DELTAprime
4th July 2018, 08:44 PM
I would be wondering there whether that's the whole of Takara or just Transformers. I'd also be questioning whether that still applies for the more collector centred lines like Alternity, Binartech and Masterpiece.

When I said toys I was referring to the Transformers lines in particular. Sorry for any confusion.

Unfortunately companies don't like to announce breakdowns of particular lines and their sales anymore as they see it as a competitive advantage so the chances of us finding out detailed information about sales to kids vs collectors for both Hasbro and Takara around the same time is unlikely.

philby
4th July 2018, 08:46 PM
I voted most/many still buying as for me it is on a per character basis, not necessarily price. I don't buy every single release just-because. Honestly I was probably never going to buy any BW MP figures as I don't have the nostalgia drive for them, price or not. I may be more tempted over time if there are less G1 new releases though.

Galvatran
4th July 2018, 08:52 PM
Bread and water mate lol
Bread & water don't have the same gift that keeps on giving as bake beans on toast. :p

Oh, the uni days. Such fond memories of malnutrition.

Ode to a Grasshopper
4th July 2018, 11:21 PM
TBH I didn't get that many of them in the first place, and - especially recently - most of the ones I did get were the repaints/remolds. So, I'll probably just wait for bargains a bit more and maybe skip some that I might otherwise have got on a whim, but if it was one that I really wanted (Blaster, Cyclonus, Insecticons, etc.) then I'll still try and pick 'em up.

UltraMarginal
5th July 2018, 01:17 PM
I've been mostly collecting G1 Characters.
the + versions I haven't considered worth the trouble.

I have picked up a couple of repaints, Exhaust and Road Rage.
I expect to get a red Sunstreaker when they release it, for the significance of the toy.

I have been getting the original release beast wars figures so far, none of them have been opened yet. I've never collected Beastwars otherwise, and my intention was that I would have a simple Masterpiece Beastwars collection, possibly even stopping at the original cast. I'm going to consider this purchase, MP megatron, perhaps I'll wait for a reissue (which may not happen if it doesn't sell well.

I'll always be prioritising an MP G1 Cast, if the expense gets to the point where I have to pick, I'll drop MP beastwars like a hot potato, the movie MPM line may not be far behind if I end up not loving it.

bowspearer
5th July 2018, 04:58 PM
No, there is no legal issue. Even if they aren’t made predominantly for Western Markets, they can sell to them as much as they like, hence why companies like BBTS can buy up bulk stock and openly advertise the likes of MP Dirge.

The only issue there has ever been has been are the MP Megs, but that relates more to replica firearm laws.

You're comparing apples and oranges here though. Legally, absolutely the likes of BBTS can find a Japanese source and import a tonne of Japanese release figures to sell in Western markets.

That wasn't the legal issue I was referring to.

The legal issue I was referring to is that Takara can't actively market and release figures in Hasbro's operating territory and visa versa.

Ergo for all the importing by online stores that might go on and buck the traditional legal agreements, at the end of the day Takara are legally bound to only produce toys for Japan and some parts of Asia not covered by Hasbro Asia (that said if Hasbro Asia sources Takara figures fro their markets, then technically, they are nothing more than a passive supplier whom Hasbro Asia is drawing on rather than actively marketting in Hasbro Asia's territory). Ergo, technically speaking, the Masterpiece line is a line which Takara develop and market almost exclusively to the Japanese Market and in terms of their own sales figures, that's really all they can look at in terms of their own figures.

Legally speaking that is....

When I said toys I was referring to the Transformers lines in particular. Sorry for any confusion.

Unfortunately companies don't like to announce breakdowns of particular lines and their sales anymore as they see it as a competitive advantage so the chances of us finding out detailed information about sales to kids vs collectors for both Hasbro and Takara around the same time is unlikely.

Indeed, I suspect that the breakdown with the Masterpiece line is much closer to 80% collectors though. The average parent isn't likely to shell out ¥20,000 for an action figure for a 5 year old.

Paulbot
5th July 2018, 05:31 PM
I've been a bit uncertain with the BW MPs so far (they sit unopened on my shelf) and as much as I love the look of BW Megatron that price is a turn off.

I'm pretty much done with Movie MP toys - the Studio Series toys have been satisfying enough and a fraction of the price. I might keep MP Optimus and Bumblebee but can't imagine any new ones will be good enough to want.

G1 Masterpieces though? Yep I'll keep buying the Autobot cars but reissues of Convoy (and others - a more anime accurate Bumblebee seems likely) can stay put.

DaptoDog
5th July 2018, 05:40 PM
Being almost exclusively an MP collector I'll remain a completionist. However, I am quite bemused at the Argentinian like inflation in MP pricing which seemed to start with Sunstreaker.

I will continue to collect doubles of G1 MP cartoon releases so I can display one copy. Unfortunately they have been few and far between of late but at least it's not costing me so much.

I am also being more selective in my pre-ordering with the view to picking up some of these on discount through ebay etc. While I had already locked in a pre-order of Dinobot, it will be interesting to see how it sells through given where it has been priced.

DELTAprime
5th July 2018, 07:14 PM
I just realised Dinobot is the only new MP mould this year outside of the MPM line.

High prices and fewer releases... I really wish I could personally ask Takara what their plans are for the MP line.

shockNwave
5th July 2018, 07:22 PM
Being almost exclusively an MP collector I'll remain a completionist. However, I am quite bemused at the Argentinian like inflation in MP pricing which seemed to start with Sunstreaker.

I've noticed this as well and have seen Sunstreaker ranging from $150 to $180. A real bummer because this is one of those rare times I have my eye on an MP.:mad:

Ralph Wiggum
5th July 2018, 07:24 PM
I just realised Dinobot is the only new MP mould this year outside of the MPM line.

High prices and fewer releases... I really wish I could personally ask Takara what their plans are for the MP line.

Their plan has always been to squeeze as much money as they can from collectors with as little effort as possible, either through choosing molds based purely on re-use potential (and NOT through fan popularity) or the slow inflation of prices. And hey, they're a business so they're there to make money, but as a G1 fan I'm resigned to two awful truths:

1. it's going to be a very, very long time before I'll ever finish my G1 MP collection
2. there is the possibility that there will be even more version 2.0 iterations of characters I already have. At which point I'm calling it quits.

bowspearer
5th July 2018, 07:55 PM

A possibility just hit me and I really hope I'm wrong. What if, with all this talk of shared universes, the aim is to torpedo the Masterpiece line as more trouble than it's worth, by pricing it into oblivion. After all, we've now had an end to the Legends series as we know it, while the Masterpiece line is now being increasingly priced to the point where something doesn't sell. When that happens, Takara could justfiy pulling the plug. Meanwhile while fans keep paying the prices, they just keep bumping them up until they hit the shelf-warmer.

Like I said, I really hope I'm wrong. However it could be that the bean counters at Takara want to cheap out as much as possible with Transformers by simply doing what Hasbro does as part of this shared design approach.

Ultra Mackness
10th November 2018, 05:26 AM
I've been collecting MPs since they started, but I think I might have hit the wall with MP Cordon. At around $230 AUD after conversion I just can't justify the ongoing expense. If the Autobot cars are going to lift to this kind of price, how much are the bigger bots going to go for in the future?

I might have to sadly call it a day on the MP line...:(

Omega Metro
10th November 2018, 10:15 AM
I used to buy every MP that came out but stopped and started to buy 3P Masterpiece style figures to complete my TV series lineup. I was just buying too many obscure MPs like Red Bumblbees, white Lamborghinis, Monkeys and Cheetahs which I have no emotional attachment to. I still buy the obscure CHUG versions though.

Ralph Wiggum
10th November 2018, 10:19 AM
I've been collecting MPs since they started, but I think I might have hit the wall with MP Cordon. At around $230 AUD after conversion I just can't justify the ongoing expense. If the Autobot cars are going to lift to this kind of price, how much are the bigger bots going to go for in the future?

That’s pretty pricey dude, where did you get it from? I’ve seen him for less than $200 including shipping.

DELTAprime
10th November 2018, 03:26 PM
Ouch, that's a lot for Cordon.

I was really surprised that Anime Wheeljack was reasonable so I decided to buy him. If he was priced more like Cordon I would have passed.

Anyway hopefully after conversion and shipping of both Big Convoy and BW Megatron in January I won't be moving into the poor house.

Ultra Mackness
10th November 2018, 03:33 PM
That’s pretty pricey dude, where did you get it from? I’ve seen him for less than $200 including shipping.

Picked him up from bbts, so probably a bit more expensive, bu not by heaps. My general guideline for the cars was if they were $150 or less, but I really wanted cordon. I just didnt bank on the amount being so high.

drifand
10th November 2018, 05:37 PM
I have collected almost what I wanted from the G1 line.
I believe I am done, as the occasional pieces are actually from 3p.

For me the masterpiece had no proper direction, I can like one piece and hate the next. It felt like is all over the place, no priority on finishing season one or certain bots. Poorly planned imo, especially with the Toy accuracy,realistic accuracy or toon accurate.

For a new comer, I recommend it as the other tfs look too kiddish to collect.

They dont even seem to be bothered on release pre orders for Hound and Optimus V3

kovert
10th November 2018, 10:21 PM
I found the price for MP-39 Sunstreaker was acceptable when it was first released early this year.

However, the Australian dollar is weak against the Yen and US dollar right now. The higher product prices have been driven up further by the weak dollar and the newly introduced GST on imports. As a result, prices have probably increased by roughly around 15% or so.

Galvatran
11th November 2018, 04:46 PM

Tis a solemn day in the realm of Transformers when I read collectors posting things like this.

drifand
13th November 2018, 01:46 PM
Problem is I don’t see quality to price ratio being acceptable.

It also looks like an extremely bad 2018 for masterpiece, in fact I think this is the worst.
IMO TT is so far behind in the masterpiece line is no longer funny. We not even talking about speculating licensing issues such as jazz mirage trailbreaker etc.

Things like blaster, insecticons, galvatron, cyclonus, reflector, kup, blurr are not even made.

Not to mention the combiner bots are where 3p is.

The fact that they now charge an arm for the quality in question. It lost my interest. I don’t care for beast wars so I won’t comment on it.

Galvatran
13th November 2018, 02:14 PM
^ Congratulations drifand on 7,000 posts on this forum! That is some achievement & needs to be recognised by your peers for your contribution in enriching Ozformers, sometimes with alternate views that may not be popular with the fandom. For that, I tilt my hat to you. :)

Bear in mind this year is a Movie year & perhaps resources are being poured into movie toys at the expense of non-movie Masterpieces

drifand
13th November 2018, 02:49 PM
^ Congratulations drifand on 7,000 posts on this forum! That is some achievement & needs to be recognised by your peers for your contribution in enriching Ozformers, sometimes with alternate views that may not be popular with the fandom. For that, I tilt my hat to you. :)

Bear in mind this year is a Movie year & perhaps resources are being poured into movie toys at the expense of non-movie Masterpieces

I don’t compromise my standards when it comes to toys. I don’t give myself excuses that is okay.

drifand
8th December 2018, 10:21 AM
This thread should be updated with the latest MP-44.

IMO MP-44 has definitely out priced the product. I am pretty sure we are not paying what it is worth regardless of engineering, paint involved.

As much as I love the piece, but I can't help to say this piece actually crossed the line for me to continue to support. Yes, I bought this but I think I am very done with this mp line unless Jazz comes along.

I have no longer any interest in Hound MP.

Kranix
8th December 2018, 12:26 PM
MPs have moved in a direction that's just not for me. Price is an aspect but it's mainly the aesthetic. I'm not a "toon only" style fan and extra articulation isn't a big draw card for me. I really prefer the earlier MP and the pricing was decent to me. I'm definitely skipping MP-44 but I really want MP Hound but if he is more expensive than Sunstreaker I may pass. He is already not styled how I want but I'm a big fan of the character.

Jazz would pull me in though, he is one of my very favourite characters. Luckily he is a bit closer to the aesthetic I like even in toon form.

GoktimusPrime
8th December 2018, 05:50 PM
I find this to be a really odd question. The uber expensive Fortress Maximus didn't elicit any of us to stop collect Transformers in 1987. MP8 and MP9 were also quite expensive, and the MP Coneheads are just priced to the point of being ridiculous, but none of those have made people quit MP collecting.

If a toy's too expensive then just skip that individual figure. I fail to see the logic in giving up collecting anything altogether just because a few individual figures are heaps expensive. Also, unlike the MP Coneheads, MP XLIV is going to be the third MP Convoy. If you really don't like this price then just skip it and stick with your MP01 and MP10. I bit the bullet and bought all three MP Coneheads because there is no other choice beyond just skipping them. With toys like MP Dirge, you either suck it up or miss out on having any kind of MP Dirge whatsoever. But with MP XLIV your choices are either to pay for the toy or skip it but enjoy MP01 and MP10.

This is why I'm skipping MP XLIV. I could throw money at pre-ordering this toy right now if I wanted to. But the truth is that I'm perfectly happy with MP01. I own MP10 because it was a freebie (that's how happy I am with MP1). Obviously if someone offers to give me an MP XLIV for free I'll take it, but just as with MP10 I feel no compulsion to pay for one out of my own pocket. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe if it drops below $300... maaaybe. But I can happily live without this toy. Truth be told, I'm more interested in the humans that it comes with!

Kranix
8th December 2018, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure I follow you GoktimusPrime. Surely the question is valid, if MPs are generally becoming more expensive which they are, some people may stop collecting.

For me, 2 of the 3 Coneheads cost me $10 more than Starscream and less than MP Skywarp :) Otherwise I would have just skipped them as you say. All except maybe Dirge were quite good value to me compared to Grapple, Inferno and Sunstreaker.

I'm skipping MP-44 mainly because I don't really like it enough to buy it. I really do prefer MP-10 and MP-44 would probably become more of a stand alone statue for me.

However my point was that while for example, I want an MP Hound, the price is going up for something with an aesthetic I don't really want. So its just another reason to no longer collect. If I still loved the look of current MP it would be different.

Tha_Phantom
8th December 2018, 09:09 PM
I totally understand some people will get out of the Masterpiece game if prices consistently go up (and it appears they will), but I know I'm kidding myself if I pretend to make the same promise. I paid whatever was necessary to get all six main seekers in MP form, I bought a Soundwave at aftermarket prices just before the reissue was announced and I've preordered MP-44. I don't have a completist mentality, if there are certain characters I don't care for then I'll skip them, but I think generally speaking I'll still be in the MP game for a long time to come.

GoktimusPrime
8th December 2018, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure I follow you GoktimusPrime. Surely the question is valid, if MPs are generally becoming more expensive which they are, some people may stop collecting.
I think most people are willing to pay higher prices if it means better designs.
e.g.
MP36 vs MP5
MP10 vs MP01
MP39 vs MP12
...etc.

I suppose the question is, is there a limit to how much people will pay for a toy, regardless of its superior design? I don't know. Hearing stories about how much money some people are happily willing to throw on WAY simpler second hand toys on the aftermarket, I honestly don't know. It seems that for some collectors there doesn't seem to be a visible upper limit. Some people seem to have incredibly deep pockets and are willing to pay any price for something that they want.

It seems that TakaraTOMY are experimenting in what this upper threshold is. And from a designer's POV it also means that they can do more with a toy if they have a bigger budget to play around with. And if there is to be a toyline for which they can experiment with high end adult collectable figures, why not Masterpiece? MPs have always been the high end luxury item toyline of Transformers.

But maybe this is all too much for them and it will blow up in TakaraTOMY's faces. But at the end of the day we all vote with our wallets. As long as people are willing to buy these fancier "Rolls Royce" level MPs then TakaraTOMY will continue to make them.

For me, 2 of the 3 Coneheads cost me $10 more than Starscream and less than MP Skywarp :) Otherwise I would have just skipped them as you say. All except maybe Dirge were quite good value to me compared to Grapple, Inferno and Sunstreaker.
:eek: I paid about $200 for MP Thrust and Ramjet, which is roughly double what I normally pay for MP Jets. MP Dirge was about $250 because a certain retailer never delivered.

However my point was that while for example, I want an MP Hound, the price is going up for something with an aesthetic I don't really want. So its just another reason to no longer collect. If I still loved the look of current MP it would be different.
Meh... even if a toy is initially expensive, you could always just wait and see if you can get it cheaper off the aftermarket. I recently grabbed MP Clampdown for $35 - loose complete in excellent condition. Also grabbed MP Delta Magnus earlier this year (loose in box) for cheap too.

I honestly just want the humans that come with MP44! :D I might wait and see if I can get a loose one for cheap later... maybe keep the humans and sell the actual Transformer off. :p ;) Having said that, selling does royally suck, so... maybe not.

P.S.: I think it's also really important as to how we answer Question 19 on the survey. If people keep on nominating "cartoon accuracy" as a reason for why they've purchased past MPs, then obviously TakaraTOMY are going to continue pushing for greater slavish cartoon accuracy, which in turn means a LOT of otherwise needlessly expensive feats of engineering. Previous MPs were a mix of cartoon likeness and more unique design aesthetic - e.g. MP1, MP10. But recently we've seen a push towards greater slavish cartoon accuracy with MPs looking like the bloody cartoon character just jumped out of the screen and became real. If you keep asking for this then TakaraTOMY will respond in kind!

Omega Supreme
8th December 2018, 11:02 PM
Quite sure I will continue to collect them, just might be a little more picky.

GoktimusPrime
8th December 2018, 11:17 PM
My MP wants highlighted in grey ;)
https://i.ibb.co/4SRWcHB/temp.jpg
Don't need another Convoy. I'm good for Decepticons, thanks. What I really want are the rest of the first year Autobots!

* GONG
* DRAG
* CLIFF※
* CHARGER
* GEARS
* TRAILBREAKER
* HOUND ←pre-ordering this baby on sight! :D
* MEISTER※

※currently undoable until TakaraTOMY acquires the Porsche licence

Kranix
9th December 2018, 12:48 AM
I think most people are willing to pay higher prices if it means better designs.
e.g.
MP36 vs MP5
MP10 vs MP01
MP39 vs MP12
...etc.

I suppose the question is, is there a limit to how much people will pay for a toy, regardless of its superior design? I don't know. Hearing stories about how much money some people are happily willing to throw on WAY simpler second hand toys on the aftermarket, I honestly don't know. It seems that for some collectors there doesn't seem to be a visible upper limit. Some people seem to have incredibly deep pockets and are willing to pay any price for something that they want.

It seems that TakaraTOMY are experimenting in what this upper threshold is. And from a designer's POV it also means that they can do more with a toy if they have a bigger budget to play around with. And if there is to be a toyline for which they can experiment with high end adult collectable figures, why not Masterpiece? MPs have always been the high end luxury item toyline of Transformers.

But maybe this is all too much for them and it will blow up in TakaraTOMY's faces. But at the end of the day we all vote with our wallets. As long as people are willing to buy these fancier "Rolls Royce" level MPs then TakaraTOMY will continue to make them.

:eek: I paid about $200 for MP Thrust and Ramjet, which is roughly double what I normally pay for MP Jets. MP Dirge was about $250 because a certain retailer never delivered.

Meh... even if a toy is initially expensive, you could always just wait and see if you can get it cheaper off the aftermarket. I recently grabbed MP Clampdown for $35 - loose complete in excellent condition. Also grabbed MP Delta Magnus earlier this year (loose in box) for cheap too.

I honestly just want the humans that come with MP44! :D I might wait and see if I can get a loose one for cheap later... maybe keep the humans and sell the actual Transformer off. :p ;) Having said that, selling does royally suck, so... maybe not.

P.S.: I think it's also really important as to how we answer Question 19 on the survey. If people keep on nominating "cartoon accuracy" as a reason for why they've purchased past MPs, then obviously TakaraTOMY are going to continue pushing for greater slavish cartoon accuracy, which in turn means a LOT of otherwise needlessly expensive feats of engineering. Previous MPs were a mix of cartoon likeness and more unique design aesthetic - e.g. MP1, MP10. But recently we've seen a push towards greater slavish cartoon accuracy with MPs looking like the bloody cartoon character just jumped out of the screen and became real. If you keep asking for this then TakaraTOMY will respond in kind!

Here's the kick, to me personally, MP-12 is superior to MP-39. I have two MP-12 Sideswipe (v2 and v3) that I love to transform and pose. Sunstreaker sits in a box in the cupboard. I got him out once and that was enough. More complicated transformation for toon accuracy is the last thing I want but obviously others feel differently and thus the line is heading the way it is. I wish they had at least finished the carbots in the same aesthetic but it wasn't to be.

I certainly don't risk waiting for main line MP if I think I want them. I preorder straight up. Repaints yeah, they are rarely popular but I'm not into them anyway, I only own G2 Sideswipe and Bumblebee a second MP-10 that sits with them. I do want MP29+ but I'm running the gauntlet with him to see if his price drops.

I also overpaid for Dirge due to the same retailer, about $225 delivered from memory. Same for Inferno and Grapple unfortunately. I partly just paid the extra because I feel my days collecting MP (and transformers in general) is coming to a close. Probably finish with MP Hound unless Jazz comes along. Maybe grab the Toyota bros too. My G1 collection is also done unless by miracle they realize those missing mould figures. The MP price increase isn't the reason (I'm not exactly lacking in cash - cough), it just helps it along.

P.S. I too only want the human figures from MP-44 :D

Kranix
9th December 2018, 12:58 AM

Don't need another Convoy. I'm good for Decepticons, thanks. What I really want are the rest of the first year Autobots!

* GONG
* DRAG
* CLIFF※
* CHARGER
* GEARS
* TRAILBREAKER
* MEISTER※

I really want Cliffjumper too as long as he is a real car version. I'm not sure that would be the case with the toon accuracy possibly going even further but you never know.

GoktimusPrime
9th December 2018, 01:22 AM
Licensing would require Cliff's alt mode to be realistically proportioned, which would make it look less G1 accurate. Although TakaraTOMY could try to engineer it so that the alt mode could transform between being realistically and G1 proportioned. We saw them do this at a much simpler level with Sunstreaker. But that was just the exposed engine and tail lights -- Cliff's gonna require more engineering magic. Couple this with the combined complications of making a cartoon like robot mode, and we can see that the cost of this toy is gonna be much higher than say MP Bumblebee.

My Binaltechs and Alternities (and CHUGs if need be) continue to substitute for yet to be done MPs until they're actually done. :)
https://i.ibb.co/Z6v5YZf/photocomic-idw-transformandrollout06.jpg

Autocon
9th December 2018, 06:52 AM
Up the price points and do two minibots as a combo package. Who would be the last one to the final pair? The toyota that was never named

Kranix
9th December 2018, 07:40 AM
Licensing would require Cliff's alt mode to be realistically proportioned, which would make it look less G1 accurate. Although TakaraTOMY could try to engineer it so that the alt mode could transform between being realistically and G1 proportioned. We saw them do this at a much simpler level with Sunstreaker. But that was just the exposed engine and tail lights -- Cliff's gonna require more engineering magic. Couple this with the combined complications of making a cartoon like robot mode, and we can see that the cost of this toy is gonna be much higher than say MP Bumblebee.

My Binaltechs and Alternities (and CHUGs if need be) continue to substitute for yet to be done MPs until they're actually done. :)[/img]

I've seen pics of a 3rd party cliffjumper that was pretty accurate to the real Porsche in alt mode but also basically toon accurate in bot mode. So I think it can be done even better by Takara but I'm still not convinced that they won't go down the path of non licensed Mini bots including a chibbi Cliffjumper. Especially if they give up on the Porsche license after doing all the other carbots. It could involve a v2 Chibbi Bumblebee if the relationship with VW is strong enough post movie.

Personally I hope they somehow manage to get the Porsche license. Jazz and Cliffjumper in real car MP form would be a dream for so many fans!

Meister
9th December 2018, 12:56 PM
https://i.ibb.co/4SRWcHB/temp.jpg

* GONG
* DRAG
* CLIFF※
* CHARGER
* GEARS
* TRAILBREAKER
* MEISTER※

My MP acquirement list is exactly identical to yours Gok!

All I’m after, and have ever been after in the MP range is the year 1 autobots (actually I should clarify, the group that journeyed to earth on the Ark) anything in addition to that is purely selective. I already have MP 10 and I think that’s still a great representation of Optimus. I have no interest in version 3.0.

Any new release of a previously unreleased G1 autobot will be sought to be acquired. Fingers crossed prices don’t get too ridiculous

drifand
9th December 2018, 01:12 PM
I have a lot of issues about this line and several reasons I am out.
Take note I did purchase mp 44 but that’s probably my last toy I am buying for the entire tt line not just mp unless a jazz maybe since 3p doesn’t cut it for me in this instance.

I feel TT has the potential but are not delivering. To me the masterpiece line is just frustrating and has no proper direction. I have heaps of toys with better quality and does transform and cost a lot less than a mp 44.

I said this before, I am willing to pay top dollars but in return I want top quality and materials. Now I only see partial in mp 44 and is not entirely meeting the mark especially at 35,000 not even to mention 50,000jpy.

I don’t even want to discuss about the other toy lines as you hardly see me in any as I felt the toys were expensive and not collectors grade.

Pretty sure I am quite done with the greed of TT. I will not be buying hound now regardless of price point.

doublespy
27th December 2018, 03:55 PM
What’s funny to me is people are already saying MP44 is not worth the price when it’s still more than half year away from release.

If TT could up their QC game the MP line can easily compete with the best of those so called collctor-oriented toy lines from Japan imho.

bowspearer
27th December 2018, 06:01 PM
What’s funny to me is people are already saying MP44 is not worth the price when it’s still more than half year away from release.

Which is entirely TT's fault. The Masterpiece line has been going for more than 15 years now, believe it or not, and TT have priced it at a certain point, with a certain expectation. Even MP-43 didn't exceed the price point of MP-04, which I recall going for the $400 mark. Now, the line suddenly jumps 150% on its highest price point, while giving us engineering we had on MP-36, which still fell in that price structure.

No one, least of all TT, can be surprised at people balking at the price, when they set the expectation and then soured the deal with a shock worsening of things from the perspective of the expectations they had set in the minds of fans.

It's like how Paramount were somehow "surprised" when they offered Chris Pine and Christ Hemsworth a particular amount to reprise their roles for the sequel to Star Trek Beyond, but then wondered why both walked, when after being promised that amount, they were then told the amount would be way less than it was.

doublespy
27th December 2018, 08:15 PM
Which is entirely TT's fault. The Masterpiece line has been going for more than 15 years now, believe it or not, and TT have priced it at a certain point, with a certain expectation. Even MP-43 didn't exceed the price point of MP-04, which I recall going for the $400 mark. Now, the line suddenly jumps 150% on its highest price point, while giving us engineering we had on MP-36, which still fell in that price structure.

No one, least of all TT, can be surprised at people balking at the price, when they set the expectation and then soured the deal with a shock worsening of things from the perspective of the expectations they had set in the minds of fans.

It's like how Paramount were somehow "surprised" when they offered Chris Pine and Christ Hemsworth a particular amount to reprise their roles for the sequel to Star Trek Beyond, but then wondered why both walked, when after being promised that amount, they were then told the amount would be way less than it was.

I would look at yen price only, and the pre-order price with discount isn’t actually all that bad. Not sure how the MP 44 pre-orders are going right now but people had similar reaction when MP Dinobot was announced (then again with BW Megatron). As far as I could tell, Dinobot already sold out (aka made their initial sales target) and there’s still demand on the market so TT are making a second run. Yes the QC issue wasn’t ideal (that’s why I said TT need to up their QC game), and yes Dinobot might’ve been a smaller production run but still..good sales number is good.

Comparing MP04 and MP44 prices isn’t really fair since so many years have passed. People can say it’s expensive all they want, but I personally would refrain from comment like “it’s not worth the price” until I have it in my hand.
Weve already had a sneak peak at the engineering and it was much more involved than I’d imagined for a G1 Optimus Prime.

Even then it’s all subjective. I am happy to pay this kind of money to get a new MP Prime that matches aesthetically with my awesome MP 36 Megatron, and that could well be the “definitive” cartoon Prime for a long time coming.

GoktimusPrime
28th December 2018, 10:32 AM
I would look at yen price only, and the pre-order price with discount isn’t actually all that bad. Not sure how the MP 44 pre-orders are going right now but people had similar reaction when MP Dinobot was announced (then again with BW Megatron). As far as I could tell, Dinobot already sold out (aka made their initial sales target) and there’s still demand on the market so TT are making a second run. Yes the QC issue wasn’t ideal (that’s why I said TT need to up their QC game), and yes Dinobot might’ve been a smaller production run but still..good sales number is good.
I've heard that they're going to reissue MP Dinobot. Evidently sales must have been very good to elicit that response. Although MP10 reissues are still shelfwarming, so... :o

Comparing MP04 and MP44 prices isn’t really fair since so many years have passed.
Even if we were to compare MP01/04 with MP44, as you said, the level of design and engineering in this toy is far above that of MP01/04. As I've said before, each time an MP concept "upgrades" we typically see an approximate doubling in price. MP10 was about twice as expensive as MP01. MP Sunstreaker was about twice the price as MP Lambor. MP36 was about twice the price of MP05. And MP44 is roughly twice the price of MP10.

If people want double the goodness then it's going to cost double the price. Don't like it? Get the cheaper version. As I said, you can still really easily find MP10s. In fact, here's an MP10 going for 21600JPY (https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/DetailPage/item?itemCode=1102260340) (approx $280). If people find MP44 too rich, then go get an MP10. Seemples! :D

Sinnertwin
28th December 2018, 08:05 PM
It just means being more selective with my purchases.

1AZRAEL1
12th February 2019, 09:44 PM
Holy revive!!!

As the prices are headed, yea nah. I want MP BW Megs and Black Arachnia, but as for versions 2.0 or more, I can live without them. Collecting masterpiece figures are almost becoming an elite thing where people with disposable incomes can buy them.

UltraMarginal
13th February 2019, 10:46 AM
I'm certainly going to be more selective if they keep trending the way of MP bb 2.0

BigTransformerTrev
5th March 2019, 11:09 AM
It just means being more selective with my purchases.

I'm certainly going to be more selective if they keep trending the way of MP bb 2.0

Yup, same

Holy revive!!!

As the prices are headed, yea nah. I want MP BW Megs and Black Arachnia, but as for versions 2.0 or more, I can live without them. Collecting masterpiece figures are almost becoming an elite thing where people with disposable incomes can buy them.

The only two MPs on the horizon I intend on getting are Hound and Black Arachnia. Don’t have the income to buy newer versions of characters that have previously already had the MP treatment. The only exceptions to this for me have been the leaders (MP10 & 36) since both new ones were far superior to the old one I got. But certainly not getting the newest Prime or any of the Autobot cars just because they look that bit more toon accurate than the first renditions.

GoktimusPrime
5th March 2019, 12:49 PM
For me it's not even about the money. I could preorder MP44 and MP45 right now if I wanted to. They just don't appeal to me. MP1 and MP21 are both perfectly fine MPs in my book and I don't see the need to get new MP versions of MPs that I already own.

The only time I did this was with MP36 as I felt it was a significant enough improvement over MP5. I got MP10 for free, so... not counting that. :p I might get MP44 or MP45 if I were in Japan and there was nothing else to buy. I am admittedly far more impulsive when shopping overseas, but as Tetsuwan Convoy explained to me at the 2016 Osaka Meet, it's a souvenir purchase. :p But yeah, barring a moment of impulse I don't see myself getting either Malibu Stacies with a new set of articulation. :p

Bidoofdude
5th March 2019, 08:41 PM
For me it's not even about the money. I could preorder MP44 and MP45 right now if I wanted to. They just don't appeal to me. MP1 and MP21 are both perfectly fine MPs in my book and I don't see the need to get new MP versions of MPs that I already own.

The only time I did this was with MP36 as I felt it was a significant enough improvement over MP5. I got MP10 for free, so... not counting that. :p I might get MP44 or MP45 if I were in Japan and there was nothing else to buy. I am admittedly far more impulsive when shopping overseas, but as Tetsuwan Convoy explained to me at the 2016 Osaka Meet, it's a souvenir purchase. :p But yeah, barring a moment of impulse I don't see myself getting either Malibu Stacies with a new set of articulation. :p

I feel like it's important to clarify why people will get or not get a new MP, as with the Megatron example here. A lot of collectors seem to have a mindset of getting a character to fill a spot, rather than having the best representation of that character in toy form (if they can't have both).

Bumblebee for example, many people are (needlessly IMO) labelling as pointless because there already is an older MP Bumblebee, while in reality they are very different and appeal to different collectors' views of what a toy of the character should be. As you said, MP-21 is perfectly fine to keep as your Bumblebee, while MP-36 was more in line with what you wanted, so you got him. Two different outcomes, but the choice for either was always there to meet your tastes, or for any other collector's, for the most part.

As someone who loves the new Bumblebee, which reminds me way more of the cartoon character I grew up with, it's interesting to see people's different views on accuracy, but also a bit disappointing to see the new guys automatically thrown under the bus for simply being a new version of a previously done character. It is a bit disappointing to see the new one's price though.

Just like with the Legends and Prime Wars toys of yesteryear (:(), choice and options are a good thing, especially with the seemingly huge differences in people's preferred style for a definitive representation of a character. Although in some people's minds it takes up the "spot" of another not previously done character, for many this would be the first Bumblebee MP or Optimus Prime MP or whatever toy, that fulfils their tastes for a true Masterpiece.

GoktimusPrime
5th March 2019, 10:58 PM
Yeah that's fine. I know people who skipped MP36 as they felt that MP5 was still good enough, and in terms of value for money I'd agree. Yes, MP36 is a better toy but also double the damn price of MP5. So yeah, it's absolutely entirely subjective. I don't begrudge TakaraTOMY for revisiting these characters, they just don't personally appeal to me.

I personally wish that they'd finish off the main G1 cast as MPs first before revisiting already done characters, but that's just my opinion.

Bumbleb33
6th March 2019, 12:21 AM
I think Thew Adams puts it best regardless of which line you purchase (Siege, MP etc)

https://youtu.be/VyjiUfOPXlQ?t=2000

Play until 33:47

Tha_Phantom
6th March 2019, 08:59 AM
Bumblebee for example, many people are (needlessly IMO) labelling as pointless because there already is an older MP Bumblebee, while in reality they are very different and appeal to different collectors' views of what a toy of the character should be.

^ This. So much.

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2019, 09:56 AM
In all honesty the only MP I'm hoping to get this year is Hound. But I'm totally fine with that. In 2004 the only MP I bought was MP1. I skipped MP2 and didn't buy another MP until MP3 in 2006!

I idea of intermittently buying MPs should be an all too familiar experience for MP collectors. And that's fine. There's still plenty of other TF goodies to collect this year

Kranix
6th March 2019, 08:07 PM
Hound is the only MP I would consider at the moment, I'm not into the other new releases at all. However even despite being long term want of mine I'm unsure on this figure. I think if they ever start doing MP-36 + style repaints of the newer car bots, that version of Hound would be more to my liking but only time will tell.

Sinnertwin
6th March 2019, 09:05 PM
In all honesty the only MP I'm hoping to get this year is Hound. But I'm totally fine with that. In 2004 the only MP I bought was MP1. I skipped MP2 and didn't buy another MP until MP3 in 2006!

I idea of intermittently buying MPs should be an all too familiar experience for MP collectors. And that's fine. There's still plenty of other TF goodies to collect this year

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm at the other end of the spectrum -Nothing much is interesting me this year. I think the Targetmasters were the only things to get me excited. More money for MP's then :p:)

DELTAprime
7th March 2019, 12:00 AM
I still haven't pre-ordered MP Bumblebee 2.0. As much as I love the alt mode that I've always wanted for MP Bee, I just don't feel like he can justify the price.

Maybe if he doesn't sell and gets discounted I'll pick him up.

GoktimusPrime
7th March 2019, 09:25 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but I'm at the other end of the spectrum -Nothing much is interesting me this year. I think the Targetmasters were the only things to get me excited. More money for MP's then :p:)
Time to start cracking open that backlog of toys then, eh? ;)

KELPIE
7th March 2019, 09:35 AM

And we still haven't got the Autobot Targetmasters :(

GoktimusPrime
7th March 2019, 09:38 AM
And we still haven't got the Autobot Targetmasters :(
Except Hot Rod, Kup and Blurr if you count the TRs.

KELPIE
8th March 2019, 12:11 PM
Except Hot Rod, Kup and Blurr if you count the TRs.

I do not. Nor do I consider Cyclonus or Scourge.

They are filler Targetmasters.

Also like to see the rest of the Powermasters in Slapdash, Joyride and Doubledealer... but now we're heading in a different topic :)