PDA

View Full Version : SDCC 2018 Bumblebee Movie toys and Studio Series

SharkyMcShark
19th July 2018, 12:05 PM
http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/18/san-diego-comicon-2018-bumblebee-the-movie-toys-images-368109

Finally a look at the Studio Series BB deluxe.

This ticks all of my boxes. Looks incredible!

Edit by griffin...

Seibertron's photos here (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-studio-series-vw-bumblebee-revealed-ksi-sentry-shadow-raider-and-more-hasbrosdcc/41610/)
TFW Studio Series gallery here (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/18/san-diego-comicon-2018-studio-series-toys-images-368133) - and MPM6 Ironhide here (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/18/san-diego-comicon-2018-transformers-masterpiece-toys-images-368178)

New Studio Series toys on display in these links...
SS-20 - Gold BM (Bumblebee Movie) VW Bumblebee with Decepticon Uriad and an Autobot Zauru (Vol 2 Retro Pop Highway)
SS-21 - ROTF Starscream
SS-24 & 25 - 2-pack TF5 Bumblebee & BM VW Bumblebee
SS-?? Shadow Raider (orange Lockdown)
SS-?? KSI Sentry (blue Stinger)
SS-?? TF3 Ratchet
(the Vol 1 Retro Rock Garage set is SS-19, which still leaves 15-18 unknown, but could be the three Deluxe redecos in the display)

griffin
19th July 2018, 01:51 PM
Number 24 and 25 in the Studio Series (as a 2-pack)... which means a lot more to come as we are only up to 14 at the moment.

The robot mode for the Bumblebee Movie Bumblebee looks terrible... almost like it hasn't been transformed properly.

And I see that it will be available in gold, with two JP Dino cassettes as "Vol 2", but my excitement at being able to get all four was short lived when I worked out that it was the same two Dino cassettes as in Vol 1, just in different colours. :(

SharkyMcShark
19th July 2018, 02:18 PM
Number 24 and 25 in the Studio Series (as a 2-pack)... which means a lot more to come as we are only up to 14 at the moment.

The robot mode for the Bumblebee Movie Bumblebee looks terrible... almost like it hasn't been transformed properly.

And I see that it will be available in gold, with two JP Dino cassettes as "Vol 2", but my excitement at being able to get all four was short lived when I worked out that it was the same two Dino cassettes as in Vol 1, just in different colours. :(

I think the golden exclusive version is properly transformed, or closer to it.

Paulbot
19th July 2018, 03:53 PM

It's what was being speculated: there's the two of them as Autobots and there's the two of them in reversed colours with backwards names as Decepticons - and the pairs are released across two items.

Maybe they wanted to release all four but the other two moulds were unusable? Or maybe the other two will come out as another exclusive down the track.

griffin
19th July 2018, 06:37 PM
(Added extra gallery links and list of new toys on display in the first posting)

Autocon
20th July 2018, 12:17 AM

Voyager bonecrasher ...? ..! They need to do him

SharkyMcShark
20th July 2018, 08:37 AM
http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/19/sdcc-2018-transformers-studio-series-and-bumblebee-bee-vision-helmet-official-images-368554

Official images of upcoming SS figures,

WOW do I need that Dropkick.

1AZRAEL1
20th July 2018, 08:55 AM
A slight retooling of TR Soundwave and Cassettes Blue Ravage, Buzzsaw and Frenzy have been brought into the Movie line too it seems.
https://youtu.be/OLppywXXAqs

griffin
20th July 2018, 09:08 AM
The Shadow Raider redeco of Lockdown cheapens the point of this "premium" series, and to an extent, the KSI Sentry, as I don't easily recall there being a blue clone running around.
I understand needing to do redecos to help pay for the moulds, but this is a special series of toys that come with display dioramas to have them out on display as the "best" editions of these characters so far... but slotting in a toy/character that isn't even in the movies, makes it harder to talk up the entire line's purpose.
And how many people are going to buy Shadow Raider if people are having to pay more for this toyline, because they are basically commemorating the Movie Universe so far.
These redecos should have been left for another toyline, like for padding out the Bumblebee Movie toyline with random redecos like past Movie toylines have done.

SharkyMcShark
20th July 2018, 11:40 AM
Studio Series is essentially the BB movie main line for standard (non gimmick) figs.

Paulbot
20th July 2018, 11:46 AM
I kinda liked the idea of collecting all the Studio Series but the corruption of the line started when number 13 was Thundercracker - a character that by no definition is in the movies.

Seeing the next few figures include repaints (both valid movie repaints like ROTF Starscream and DOTM Ratchet and made up ones like these two), and that the SDCC exclusive repaints are also in the number order, and so is the two pack of BBs... well no thanks, won' t be completist.

Autocon
20th July 2018, 01:09 PM
I kinda liked the idea of collecting all the Studio Series but the corruption of the line started when number 13 was Thundercracker - a character that by no definition is in the movies.

Movie comics dont count? :p its canon

Is shadow raider one of the tfs from lockdowns ship?

Paulbot
20th July 2018, 01:20 PM
Movie comics dont count? :p its canon

They don't count in many ways! But fair the character exists in the expanded universe movie canon - but has he ever looked like a Nitro repaint there?

Dimi194
20th July 2018, 01:52 PM
Seems like I'm in the minority but I have no quams in them reusing these excellent molds again as repaints-they're not saying it's a legit character in some non-movie colour scheme (e.g. 'Aqua Stinger' or 'Raider Lockdown'), so I'm personally super excited for a different version of both molds I really liked (esp as there were heaps of faceless robots in the movies so it's really accurate to add them in this way to army build :p).
10/10 would prefer this to them doing straight redecos (e.g. 2 lockdowns with only different heads)

griffin
20th July 2018, 02:24 PM
I don't mind them doing redecos, but release them in a less "premium" toyline, like how they usually pad out Movie toylines with random redecos and original characters.
The Studio Series was supposed to be like the (cheaper) Masterpiece toyline for fans of the Movie Universe, and it's just like when the Masterpiece toyline has original characters added just to reuse a mould (like Nemesis Rodimus), and to an extent, the various Diaclone redecos that were never in the Transformers toyline, so shouldn't be "Transformers" Masterpiece toys. (I love having them in my collection and am glad they were done, but they probably should have been released as store exclusives without the "Masterpiece" labelling or packaging like we saw for the Chinese New Year transparent Soundwave)

I forgot about Thundercracker too... which may have been a movie character in some way, but is something that stands out from the other Studio Series releases and diorama displays. I was beginning to warm up to the idea of the concept behind these fancy SS Movie toys, in addition to all the other Movie toys currently out, but Hasbro just loves to spoil their special events like this (just look at how they handled the Thrilling 30 concept - it didn't represent the 30 years in any way as most were TF4 Movie toys, it was hard to collect them all even for Americans, two toys had the same number on them, one set didn't have its number on it at all, and some were just the same toy released in different markets - it was hyped up huge at the beginning, but then fell flat after the first 10 came out).

griffin
20th July 2018, 03:46 PM
Official images of the Studio Series 20 (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/19/entertainment-earth-exclusive-bumblebee-retro-pop-highway-set-368587) Vol 2 "Retro Pop Highway" Bumblebee & Dino Cassettes - as an Entertainment Earth exclusive (https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/transformers-studio-series-20-bumblebee-vol-2-retro-pop-highway-exclusive/hse1891), for US$60, to be released in October.

This set has the same two Dino cassettes as in Vol 1, but the allegiances and plastic types are reversed - Zaur is the Autobot in solid plastic, while Uriad (reverse of Dairu) is the Decepticon in translucent plastic.

UltraMarginal
20th July 2018, 04:17 PM
I was kind of hoping the second set of cassettes would be a bit easier to come buy. I don't like the idea of paying nearly $100 for 2 cassettes. As much as I would love to have some of the more exotic cassette designs in my collection.

did I hear somewhere that the soundwave for the BB movie has been modified to take the original G1 Cassette toys? that's almost cool enough for me to buy that mould again.

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th July 2018, 07:29 PM
That new helicopter mold looks pretty sweet.:)

Paulbot
21st July 2018, 01:29 AM
Agree, Dropkick looks good.

Having another look at Shadow Striker tonight - with that head and that gun it feels like they missed an opportunity by not calling him Oil Slick.

Krayt
21st July 2018, 11:53 AM
Does EE ship to us?

DELTAprime
21st July 2018, 01:23 PM
I'm not a fan of this Bumblebee VW SS mould. It just doesn't look quite right compared to the CGI model. Maybe they can do better with the rumoured MPM Bumblebee VW.

griffin
21st July 2018, 02:43 PM
Does EE ship to us?

I think they did... but not sure about since July 1st though.

griffin
21st July 2018, 03:04 PM
After the Hasbro panel, they added three toys to the display cabinet (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/20/san-diego-comic-con-2018-hasbro-display-extra-images-studio-series-deluxe-dropkick-and-titan-changers-bumblebee-and-shatter-368674) - Studio Series Dropkick (grey helicopter), Bumblebee Movie Titan Changers Bumblebee & Shatter (the red Decepticon that has car parts on its chest, but turns into a jet)... plus some of the Tiny Changers that might be in the current 3rd wave.