PDA

View Full Version : MP Hound revealed

Kranix
29th July 2018, 11:08 AM
Takara have announced MP Hound! Shown at Wonder Festival 2018 in Japan. No number yet.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/28/takara-masterpiece-hound-revealed-369110

Kranix
29th July 2018, 11:13 AM
Right now I need to work out how to buy this guy since I believe Amazon Japan is a no go now.

drifand
29th July 2018, 11:19 AM
Looks like Fantoys willy got most of it.

Jazz please

M-bot
29th July 2018, 11:22 AM
Simply couldn’t be happier. My fave character gets the MP treatment. My day is made. Bought (or pre-ordered) on sight.:D:D:D:D:D

GoktimusPrime
29th July 2018, 11:42 AM
JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!

drifand
29th July 2018, 11:43 AM
JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!

They sure will probably priced at 9,000-12500

tinyJazz
29th July 2018, 11:48 AM
Awesome!

Pic from STFU facebook page (https://facebook.com/Planetiacon.stfu/) (weibo originally)
https://i.imgur.com/3zxYBr9l.jpg

I was a little worried about the face sculpt but it’s just the lighting. Lovely!

Bidoofdude
29th July 2018, 12:24 PM
Wow, he’s pretty perfect. They nailed it.

doublespy
29th July 2018, 12:26 PM
The front fenders look to able to lower on the double hinge to match the 'toon look better.

Jazzman
29th July 2018, 12:47 PM
Can't wait!!! :D

BigTransformerTrev
29th July 2018, 01:23 PM
Very pleased by this announcement - he is looking great so far :D

Robzy
29th July 2018, 01:29 PM
Awesome

GoktimusPrime
29th July 2018, 02:08 PM
Right now I need to work out how to buy this guy since I believe Amazon Japan is a no go now.
HLJ? AnimeExport? Amiami? Robotoyz? Toybot Importz? Robot Kingdom? :confused:

I'll probably go with HLJ or Toybot Importz

High_Q
29th July 2018, 02:38 PM
I was a little worried about the face sculpt but it’s just the lighting. Lovely!

My minor nitpick is that the lower jaw and chin look a bit too prominent and pointy, like Jay Leno. Nice that Hound fans get to have an MP version; i've just never been a fan of the character.

Ralph Wiggum
29th July 2018, 03:05 PM
Yay!!!! Consider me sold!!

Kranix
29th July 2018, 03:24 PM
HLJ? AnimeExport? Amiami? Robotoyz? Toybot Importz? Robot Kingdom? :confused:

I'll probably go with HLJ or Toybot Importz

Yeah, I was really happy with Amazon Japan, found them better than the other vendors. I think I will go with HLJ again although they are more pricey from memory but better priced than Robot Kingdom that's for sure!

hYpNoS
29th July 2018, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I was really happy with Amazon Japan, found them better than the other vendors. I think I will go with HLJ again although they are more pricey from memory but better priced than Robot Kingdom that's for sure!

Robot kingdom is best for exclusives you would have difficulty with otherwise such as walmart/tru/ttmall exclusives

HLJ has really gone up as they aren't offering discounts like they used to, best to use their private warehouse to bulk order shipping, if you want individual savings then amiami is better though shipping is a little higher and they only hold things for the month/as listed on the payment notice unless the option to add to the order is present

Kranix
29th July 2018, 03:41 PM
Robot kingdom is best for exclusives you would have difficulty with otherwise such as walmart/tru/ttmall exclusives

HLJ has really gone up as they aren't offering discounts like they used to, best to use their private warehouse to bulk order shipping, if you want individual savings then amiami is better though shipping is a little higher and they only hold things for the month/as listed on the payment notice unless the option to add to the order is present

Good info! Thankyou!

CHILENO20
29th July 2018, 04:24 PM
Detritus! Detritus! Detritus! :D:D:D

DaptoDog
29th July 2018, 04:30 PM
G1 MPs are back baby. My 2nd favourite Diaclone car behind Jazz. Never had G1 Hound but always wanted it. Can't wait to see the Jeep mode.

You just know they will do the toy coloured version too, which I think will end up looking better but will be happy with both.

hYpNoS
29th July 2018, 05:09 PM
G1 MPs are back baby. My 2nd favourite Diaclone car behind Jazz. Never had G1 Hound but always wanted it. Can't wait to see the Jeep mode.

You just know they will do the toy coloured version too, which I think will end up looking better but will be happy with both.

What about the dessert decepticon redeco g1 hound had?

They'll do that first

Galvatran
29th July 2018, 05:41 PM
Before everyone gets too excited, sure it's not a hologram?
:p

Jetfire in the sky
29th July 2018, 06:05 PM

Winner of any MP Hound discussion :D

M-bot
29th July 2018, 06:41 PM

I would buy a Hound hologram. So I’m happy either way.:p

DELTAprime
29th July 2018, 07:30 PM
I might get him, depended on price.

Lord_Zed
29th July 2018, 07:54 PM
Yay!

I always thought Takara would do Hound eventually, how hard is it for them to get a Jeep licensee again.

He looks very cartoony swapping out all the chrome/metallic parts for flat light greys, but that's the style of late so I guess it's fine. Though I'd almost be tempted to wait for the toy colour version (which we know will be released 6 months later).

Their new op behind is looking good to, but as Hound is in colour does this mean he will be released before the next Optimus?

philby
29th July 2018, 08:04 PM
Yay!

I always thought Takara would do Hound eventually, how hard is it for them to get a Jeep licensee again.

He looks very cartoony swapping out all the chrome/metallic parts for flat light greys, but that's the style of late so I guess it's fine. Though I'd almost be tempted to wait for the toy colour version (which we know will be released 6 months later).

Their new op behind is looking good to, but as Hound is in colour does this mean he will be released before the next Optimus?

Inferno and Grapple had the option to have chrome parts or grey as accessories, could they do something similar with Hound?

Bumbleb33
29th July 2018, 08:17 PM
This is bought :P

canofwhoopass_87
29th July 2018, 08:20 PM
Hopefully he comes with a tiny detachable gas can that gets lost really easily and costs a fortune to replace :p

Galvatran
29th July 2018, 11:39 PM
Inferno and Grapple had the option to have chrome parts or grey as accessories, could they do something similar with Hound?
Dunno. More likely to release a toy accurate version down the track to squeeze more $$ from the fandom.

Hopefully he comes with a tiny detachable gas can that gets lost really easily and costs a fortune to replace :p
That's cruel. :D

Magnus
30th July 2018, 12:26 AM
Yep. Definitely getting this one.

What about the dessert decepticon redeco g1 hound had?

That's Detritus. (https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Detritus_(G1)) I wonder if he'll be an exclusive, like Tigertrack and G2 Bumblebee, or a general retail release, like Road Rage, Delta Magnus and Artfire.

Yay!

The G1 vehicle is supposedly a Mitsubishi J59, which was made under licence from Jeep. Perhaps TakaraTOMY just got the licence from Mitsubishi. It would help that they already have a working relationship with Mitsubishi from licencing the Fuso T951 for Inferno and Grapple.

Then again, Hasbro/TakaraTOMY have been able to licence Jeep designs in the past, with Alternators Hound, Swindle, and Rollbar. Also, Shogo Hasui said that it was easier to negotiate with vehicle manufacturers since TakaraTOMY had the Tomica brand, which produces licensed replicas of cars and has relationships with many manufacturers. (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/shogo-hasui-on-masterpiece-from-figure-oh-april-issue.977109/)

VERT
30th July 2018, 08:12 AM
Wow that looks great. I just looked at my Fanstoys Hound with the pics. They got him Soooo close. As good as this is I'm not sure if it's worth getting. In other cases I replaced 3rd party for real. Like Inferno and Grapple. But this is so close and Fantoys has Die cast.

drifand
30th July 2018, 12:23 PM
Wow that looks great. I just looked at my Fanstoys Hound with the pics. They got to Soooo close. As good as this is I'm not sure if it's worth getting. In other cases I replaced 3rd party for real. Like Inferno and Grapple. But this is so close and Fantoys has Die cast.

You find there are a few anti diecast fans and Fantoys in general. So this will be their choice by default.

Not going into third party, I think this is definitely welcome and hopefully tt gets the rest done.

For licensing, there was never an issue. People seem to make a case and it became a legend that this was the case. There has never been any official report that tt was slowed down due to licensing issues at all. In fact it ponder you to think about insecticons that doesn’t require licensing and other bots that are not yet made into MPs and we start making our own assumptions and theories behind the delay.

Kranix
30th July 2018, 12:59 PM
This is pure speculation but since there was apparently solid info that Hound was to be released a few years ago but disappeared, I wonder if he hadn't been bumped back to be redone to be more toon accurate to match the new MP line direction.

Personally I don't think I can hold back on purchasing this guy, he is one of my most desired MP but I do actually want a more detailed version in a darker green and my suspicion is Takara may actually give us this as a + repaint instead of the Detritus version most people expect. I don't usually do doubles, although I have two MP-10 and MP-12 but didn't count on holding on to both of these extras.

UltraMarginal
30th July 2018, 01:05 PM
I'm liking this a lot, but I think I might be holding out for the darker toy coloured version(assuming they do one).

not sure about the bar his shoulder launcher is sitting on, it looks a bit out of place.

Galvatran
30th July 2018, 11:49 PM
"We're gonna need a bigger boat".

Deonasis
31st July 2018, 06:48 AM
He looks great. Good to get another colour on the MP Autobot shelf.

DELTAprime
16th August 2018, 06:00 PM
So um.. Anyone have any idea when preorders at the likes of HLJ, Amazon JP, etc are supposed to start?

Shirokaze
17th August 2018, 09:29 AM
So um.. Anyone have any idea when preorders at the likes of HLJ, Amazon JP, etc are supposed to start?

Hmmm, don't think it's been announced yet. Haven't seen any articles about him on the Japanese news sites I frequent.

BigTransformerTrev
17th August 2018, 05:11 PM
Have any of you stopped to think that a MP Hound might be what we want, but not what we need?

I mean, isn't what we really need an environmentally sustainable plan to energy shortages, peace in the middle east, a more equitable distribution of wealth on both a national and international level, more understanding of....

...ah frag it!

F**k all that! I wants me a Masterpiece Hound! My oath I does! :D

Paulbot
12th October 2018, 11:10 AM

There's still none yet are there? Or any more pics or anything? I had a moment recently where I thought I had imagined MP Hound being a thing.

drifand
12th October 2018, 11:17 AM
Pretty surprised this and convoy v3 isn’t released for pre order yet despite the pictures we seen.

philby
17th April 2019, 05:28 PM
It's been a while... Any more pics or updates on this guy?

ampoldj
17th April 2019, 05:47 PM
It's been a while... Any more pics or updates on this guy?

Or price ??? ;)

hYpNoS
17th April 2019, 09:52 PM
Nothing yet fellas, maybe after mp prime 3.0 is released they'll bring up hound again...unless black aracnia is pushed before him

DELTAprime
18th April 2019, 09:19 AM
I have a bad feeling there's a licencing issue with him...

DaptoDog
18th April 2019, 10:26 AM
The chatter is there were issues with the shoulder joints that required some redesign. This would explain why it was originally shown as a painted prototype last year but then unpainted at Winter Wonderfest in February.

This explanation seems more plausible than a licence issue. My MP shelf needs some green!

KELPIE
18th April 2019, 11:44 AM
My MP shelf needs some green!

And some blue/white please.

ampoldj
18th April 2019, 03:26 PM
And some blue/white please.

Well just not more yellow and red...pleaaase

FruitBuyer
18th April 2019, 03:43 PM
Well just not more yellow and red...pleaaase

No one:

Takara: DID SOMEONE ASK FOR ANOTHER CONVOY?!?!

drifand
18th April 2019, 04:14 PM
I have a bad feeling there's a licencing issue with him...

no such thing. never had been.

Tha_Phantom
18th April 2019, 04:51 PM
Nothing yet fellas, maybe after mp prime 3.0 is released they'll bring up hound again...unless black aracnia is pushed before him

Prime is MP-44, Bee is MP-45 and Blackarachnia is MP-46, so Hound will be after that.

Kranix
1st June 2019, 09:27 AM
So, MP Hound is finally officially released:

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/mp-47-hound-confirmed.1175356/

December 2019 release
18,000 yen
Lots of accessories

Trent
1st June 2019, 10:08 AM
About bloody time.

Tetsuwan Convoy
1st June 2019, 01:52 PM
So, MP Hound is finally officially released:

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/mp-47-hound-confirmed.1175356/

December 2019 release
18,000 yen
Lots of accessories

Lots of Yennies too

philby
1st June 2019, 02:37 PM
how much was sunstreaker on release?

Tha_Phantom
1st June 2019, 07:48 PM
how much was sunstreaker on release?

From memory $130ish. Cordon was around $170 (presumably due to smaller release).

Jellico
1st June 2019, 08:42 PM
It would want to be the best Diacone car ever. I guess they have found a way to make Optimus look reasonably priced.

Tha_Phantom
1st June 2019, 08:49 PM
It would want to be the best Diacone car ever. I guess they have found a way to make Optimus look reasonably priced.

Funnily enough a friend of mine said Hound was a bargain at that price, going against what we've had recently. :p

I disagree it's a bargain, but I'm sure the accessories and cartoon accurate engineering will make it at least justified.

FruitBuyer
3rd June 2019, 10:56 AM
Thank you Takara for making me save money

Ode to a Grasshopper
3rd June 2019, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I like Hound, but not 18000 yen like. Especially not when his CHUG and Alternators offerings are already really good.

ampoldj
3rd June 2019, 01:10 PM
I'm happy to wait for a cheaper reissue.

BigTransformerTrev
3rd June 2019, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I like Hound, but not 18000 yen like. Especially not when his CHUG and Alternators offerings are already really good.

Hound is by far my favorite of the Alternators.

It's been so long since we've had a G1 cartoon character release I reckon I'm gonna grab him, but can't say I'm thrilled at the rising prices. Given he is going to be released in December I guess thats my Xmas present taken care of

Thurmus
3rd June 2019, 04:53 PM
Will wait to see if there is a non cartoon version.

Ralph Wiggum
3rd June 2019, 05:49 PM
Hound is by far my favorite of the Alternators.

It's been so long since we've had a G1 cartoon character release I reckon I'm gonna grab him, but can't say I'm thrilled at the rising prices.

100% this. The trickle of new G1 characters (excluding new versions) means I can pretty much grab them whenever they eventually come out, even if the individual prices are a joke.

Ode to a Grasshopper
3rd June 2019, 06:14 PM
Hound is by far my favorite of the Alternators.He's my desk TF. :)

KELPIE
4th June 2019, 02:00 PM
Gundog is a pretty good toy and great representation, however I always try to replace with official if the opportunity arrives.

philby
4th June 2019, 02:03 PM
I would want to see a few more updated pics but as long as there is a decent pre order discount I would be ok buying this with the add-ons and articulation and engineering.

spiderken17
4th June 2019, 09:49 PM
Yeah I would be happy to grab it if there is a pre-order discount otherwise I will wait for one on the 2nd hand market or a re-issue.

philby
5th June 2019, 04:37 PM
Pre orders starting to show up
$176 au
https://ohmyprimus.com/tmp47.html

drifand
5th June 2019, 05:43 PM
$176 au

Yup, I am out of the MP scene, unless a good MP Jazz appears, I am finding toy companies pushing the prices way to high now. I feel sad. Happy for those who want it.

griffin
5th June 2019, 07:17 PM
The Autobot cars used to be pretty stationary on about AU$80 (at about 6,000yen or US$50) for most of them... until the recent big MPs, and the recent urge to include heaps of accessories that either can't be used all at once when the toy is left on the display shelf, or most won't be used more than once, or at all, if the collector wants a "clean" (most common appearance) display figure. I get why they are doing it, to give fans more creative choice, but all of those recent accessories are rattling around in my Masterpiece boxes, as I have the toys on display without most of them, which is just a waste of money for me. Up until recently, the previous MPs are on my display shelves with all or most of their included accessories attached or held, which makes them better value for being used in play and in display.

I think TakaraTomy should be releasing these toys on their own (cheaper) like they did with the earlier figures, and then sell accessory packs for those who want them. That way, they can sell more of the base toys, and target the "character fans" with an assortment of extra items. Like for example, an obsessed fan of Jazz might love to have every possible macguffin (plot device item) from the cartoon and comic, and play endlessly with them, but to everyone else who isn't as obsessed, it is a waste that drives up the price and prevents fans from buying the toy.

It might not see a halving of the price, but if Hound just had its gun and Gen1 toy accessories, the toy would probably be about $50 cheaper, bringing it back in range of the Autobot Cars when taking into account inflation, as Hound appears to be the same size as Autobots like Sideswipe (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/05/30/rumor-masterpiece-mp-47-hound-possible-content-accessories-price-and-release-date-389046). (if taking out all of the bold items)

Pre-order : June 7th
Release : December
Retail price : 18000 Yen (US $164.89 approximately)
1x Hound
1x Laser Scope
1x Jerry Cans
1x Spare Tire set
1x Spike figure
1x Hologram figure
1x Hologram effect
1x Hologram gun
1x Hood parts
1x Key of Cage
1x Replacement face (Smile)
1x Replacement face (Scream)
1x Side Mirror (Spare runner 1 set)
1x Character card
User manual

FruitBuyer
6th June 2019, 12:35 PM
I reckon the huge assortment of largely useless accessories is just an excuse to jack up the price to the heavens. The new Prime with Starscream head? Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

I'm sure the engineering is probably better but not enough to be double/triple cost of previous figures. So TT throws in a million useless pieces of plastics that people will look at a few times and then leave in the box to pad out the justification.

kovert
6th June 2019, 12:50 PM
I reckon the huge assortment of largely useless accessories is just an excuse to jack up the price to the heavens.

Agreed. Malibu Stacy with new hat. :)

Jazzman
6th June 2019, 08:03 PM
The new Prime with Starscream head? Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Well in defense I do find the Japanese a very sentimental people - small things, no matter how obscure, really count to them. I understand both sides of the argument, though... Is it worth waiting for a Hasbro release??? :)

Bidoofdude
6th June 2019, 10:17 PM
$176 au

That’s a massive price tag, Sunstreaker was pushing it. There’s gonna be a point where Takara can’t charge whatever they want, and it’ll hit them.

Jellico
6th June 2019, 10:35 PM
sell accessory packs for those who want them.

That was my take on a recent 3rd party fembot. Including certain features caused them some embarrassment, while selling them as an accessory pack could have included more questionable parts at a huge markup to buyers too ashamed to protest.

Accessory packs would be an interesting path for Takara to take. But selling a ecosystem is a tried and tested formula in the toy industry.

griffin
6th June 2019, 11:04 PM
Well in defense I do find the Japanese a very sentimental people - small things, no matter how obscure, really count to them. I understand both sides of the argument, though... Is it worth waiting for a Hasbro release??? :)

A separate Hasbro release is unlikely, as they are now just directly importing the JP Masterpiece toys with an outer slip case with English on it.
And back when they were doing their "own" in Hasbro packaging, they did very few, and the last five were identical toys to the Japanese versions inside the Hasbro packaging.
(the last US Hasbro MP that differed to an earlier Japanese MP was Sunstorm in 2014, which was just a different colour deco, while the last Hasbro MP that had something different in the pack was Soundwave in 2013, which had five cassettes instead of one, and before that was Targetmaster Rodimus all the way back to 2011 with Offshoot which was exclusive to Hasbro)
Although, when TakaraTomy releases an MP toy after Hasbro (the first few Movie Masterpiece toys), they have sometimes altered the colours a little.

griffin
6th June 2019, 11:10 PM
That’s a massive price tag, Sunstreaker was pushing it. There’s gonna be a point where Takara can’t charge whatever they want, and it’ll hit them.

Maybe it finally is, as I noticed that the 3rd version Optimus still hasn't sold out on HLJ on their pre-order listings, and yet they usually sell out within days of listing new MPs (even Blackarachnia is already sold out, and that will end up being about AU$200 with GST before shipping from HLJ).
The Optimus toy is listed at about AU$550 (their pre-order discount rate, down from about AU$700), which will be just over AU$600 with GST, before shipping.
It's going to be another Japanese MP that I will be missing, despite wanting it, because I just can't rationally justify that price tag, based on its size in relation to other MP toys. :(

hYpNoS
7th June 2019, 03:53 AM
Maybe it finally is, as I noticed that the 3rd version Optimus still hasn't sold out on HLJ on their pre-order listings, and yet they usually sell out within days of listing new MPs (even Blackarachnia is already sold out, and that will end up being about AU$200 with GST before shipping from HLJ).
The Optimus toy is listed at about AU$550 (their pre-order discount rate, down from about AU$700), which will be just over AU$600 with GST, before shipping.
It's going to be another Japanese MP that I will be missing, despite wanting it, because I just can't rationally justify that price tag, based on its size in relation to other MP toys. :(

From my observations with mp's on hlj, they hit order stop after a little while, and as release date comes they open again, he WAS on order stop but has since reopened, I suspect blackarachnia will be much the same closer to release.

But this only seems to happen to takara tomy stuff, bandai stuff RARELY reopens, either TT is sending more or people are more willing to OPT out, yet with bandai stuff once you miss that PO its gone for good, HMR and chogokin guys may know what I mean

valkyrie_76
7th June 2019, 07:07 AM
New pics are up for MP Hound.

Shirokaze
7th June 2019, 07:17 AM
That's an awkward looking vehicle mode with all that protrusion from the undercarriage and the canopy looks ill-fitting and out of place. Robot mode looks great of course, but not 18,000yen good. Hell, not even A$176 good....

DaptoDog
7th June 2019, 07:36 AM
The pics are simply stunning. I've not been this excited for an MP since MP-36 Megatron. Can't wait to finally have a G1 Hound! :D

philby
7th June 2019, 08:01 AM
https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/06/06/takara-tomy-masterpiece-mp-47-hound-official-images-389430

i like the car mode, the hood looks cool. bot mode is good too. i feel like the colours are a bit flat or dull though. ironhide and ratchet, although simple blocks of colour, definitely had that glossy finish which helped them pop. could be just lighting or something though.

chrome option parts like the grapple/inferno would definitely improve it IMO. maybe that would be a '+' version later on. eek.

philby
7th June 2019, 01:37 PM
saw this on the tfw forums from user ThisIsBadComedy, thought it was food for thought

“By the supervision of Fiat Chrysler Automobile, which develops the Jeep brand, it reproduces the details of a live-action image in real time.”

Sooo looks like we have Fiat Chrysler to thank for that ugly neck bolt. I bet the only way they’d sign off on the design was if the alt mode hood was one piece and unbroken. So dumb. Almost a perfect MP if only that wouldn’t have happened.

people like to complain about prices and that is fine, and then also compare with KO or 3rd party, but this is something that those other companies will never have to worry about. paying for licensing is a real cost, and who knows if designs and engineering had to be changed and made more complicated and expensive to accomodate the licensor. its cost hasbro something like $730 million dollars over the last 20 years just to be able to make star wars toys, let alone the cost of actual design and production. bit extreme but an example. and for me at least there is something nice about having legitimate official products, i know it might not mean anything for everyone but just something to consider.

FruitBuyer
7th June 2019, 03:02 PM
As usual, looks really good

Tha_Phantom
7th June 2019, 03:04 PM
people like to complain about prices and that is fine, and then also compare with KO or 3rd party, but this is something that those other companies will never have to worry about. paying for licensing is a real cost, and who knows if designs and engineering had to be changed and made more complicated and expensive to accomodate the licensor. its cost hasbro something like $730 million dollars over the last 20 years just to be able to make star wars toys, let alone the cost of actual design and production. bit extreme but an example. and for me at least there is something nice about having legitimate official products, i know it might not mean anything for everyone but just something to consider.

^ This. All of this. Thank you.

Omega Metro
7th June 2019, 03:32 PM
It’s looks good but have no desire for it. Or the price. My Maketoys Gundog does me just fine.:)

ampoldj
7th June 2019, 04:29 PM
Hmmm so that floating head on top of the bonnet is really kinda weird :rolleyes:

Ode to a Grasshopper
7th June 2019, 04:44 PM
Honestly not feeling this one, glad for those who do and are getting it though.

Jazzman
7th June 2019, 06:43 PM
I love Hound's figure, but the canopy just seems like wasted plastic... and Spike looks a bit off... maybe too lanky or something :confused:

dirge
7th June 2019, 07:59 PM
Price is high... I'll never use most of the accessories. but I don't care. It's Masterpiece Hound. Pre-ordered.

Ralph Wiggum
7th June 2019, 08:25 PM
Preordered from Oh My Primus ($SG 164).

I'm finding the additional accessories aren't so ridiculous compared to MP44, and given this is a new character I'm fairly happy with the purchase.

GoktimusPrime
7th June 2019, 08:37 PM
Price is high... I'll never use most of the accessories. but I don't care. It's Masterpiece Hound. Pre-ordered.
Ditto. :p :)

Also, while I acknowledge that these accessories are adding to the unit price, it's not the sole contributing factor. Another one is the design and engineering difference. Yes, MP Sunstreaker is about twice the price as MP Lambor, but the level of D&E on 'Streaker far eclipses Lambor. It's similar to how MP36 was about twice the price of MP5 - again, big step up in D&E. And I remember when MP36 came out people complained about how MP10 was "outclassed" and wanted TakaraTOMY to make a new "MP Convoy 3.0" to match the D&E standards of MP36 -- hence MP44. And of *course* it's going to cost more. MP10 is about twice the price of MP1 too. Each time these MPs jump up in tech level so does the price. If people want more sophisticated toys then it's going to be reflected in the unit price. If people want a cheaper MP Hound then it's going to be at the level of toys like MP Lambor or MP Prowl - which I personally don't mind at all. I don't need my MPs to be slavishly cartoon-like. Heck, I was perfectly happy with MP1 (MP10 was a freebie for me). I skipped the MP11 Seekers ('cept the Coneheads).

And there's the thing... at least these newer MPs are becoming more sophisticated. Yes, they're very expensive, but you can see why. It's not like those bloody MP Coneheads which were just more expensive because... reasons. :( I thought MP11 was overpriced too (especially as it was a retool of the existing MP3 mould). But people happily paid for those Jets without batting an eyelid, so. :p

And look, I'm the kind of person who initially whinged about the price of MP12 as I felt that these MP Cars made entirely from plastic and without detailed interiors etc. were inferior value for money compared to Binaltech and making memes like this :p
https://i.ibb.co/G0YyY1M/btvsmp.jpg

But I've come to accept MP prices and IMO by MP Car standards Hound doesn't seem that far fetched. The toys have been steadily climbing in price, but so has their level of D&E.
https://i.ibb.co/Cm9FxSC/MP-car-prices.jpg
While we can see that Hound is the most expensive, we can also see a gradual upward climb in both price and D&E. Again, I do recognise that all of these trinkets included would add to the cost, no doubt's there, but I don't think it's the sole factor in the price determination.

Ultimately we all vote with our wallets (and for those in Japan or with VPNs you can directly tell TakaraTOMY what you think via their online survey)

Jazzman
7th June 2019, 10:22 PM
MP10 is about twice the price of MP1 too. Each time these MPs jump up in tech level so does the price. If people want more sophisticated toys then it's going to be reflected in the unit price.

Hmmm... so MP Optimus V.4 will be over $1G??? :eek: :p

Lord_Zed
7th June 2019, 11:27 PM
Probably, what with a trade war looming I'd expect all toys to be going up in price soon.

griffin
7th June 2019, 11:30 PM
But I've come to accept MP prices and IMO by MP Car standards Hound doesn't seem that far fetched. The toys have been steadily climbing in price, but so has their level of D&E.
https://i.ibb.co/Cm9FxSC/MP-car-prices.jpg
While we can see that Hound is the most expensive, we can also see a gradual upward climb in both price and D&E. Again, I do recognise that all of these trinkets included would add to the cost, no doubt's there, but I don't think it's the sole factor in the price determination.

That graph is flawed, because you included the larger sized Autobot cars which are expected to be more expensive - Ironhide, Ratchet, Grapple,
Inferno and Artfire. Take those out and Sunstreaker started the rapid growth of prices... just look at the difference in prices of the two Hotrods and even
Cordon the white Sunstreaker... which also pokes a hole in the D&E argument, as there is no extra engineering of the actual toys to justify a 20% increase in
price of both. And Hound was shown in a photo next to Ironhide to be the same size of the other Autobot cars, so should be compared to those, not the larger five.
Redoing the graph with just the standard sized Autobot cars, the price increase is more emphasised in the last couple of years, and not because of
new moulds either (which would support the D&E claim if only the new moulds were going up in price).

http://toycollectors.com.au/collections/griffinofoz/c36s4.jpg

GoktimusPrime
8th June 2019, 01:33 AM
Sunstreaker is about the same size as Lambor and MP36 is smaller than MP5. But what makes Sunstreaker and MP36 dearer than Lambor and MP5 is the hike up in D&E. My guess is that Hound is similarly a more complex toy than your typical Autobot Car at the size in order to achieve that slavish level of cartoon likeness.

I take your point that the retooling on Cordon doesn't justify the price hike, and even less so with MP Targetmaster Hot Rod given that the Targetmaster is pretty much the same as the one from Hasbro's MP Roddy (retooled handle?). Not quite as exquisitely overpriced as the Coneheads, but yeah, needlessly overpriced nonetheless. I suppose the other alternative for those who want Hound cheaper is to do what I did with Cordon -- wait for a cheaper LMIB one to appear. I got mine from Mandarake in LMIB condition for nearly half RRP; the box had been opened but the toy was untouched. The fact that it was technically no longer MISB significantly reduced the price.

I'm personally willing to pay full quid for Hound, but if I weren't then I'd bide my time and get an LMIB one.

Kranix
8th June 2019, 09:25 AM
I've thought about this a lot since the release of the production Hound pics and I just can't get into this figure even though he is one of my biggest MP wants as a character. I admire what Takara have done but I just don't seem to want it.

I was sort of like this with MP Sunstreaker but I wasn't a huge fan of the character. I more purchased him because I was in the buy all G1 MP mode but he has sat in his box opened but never transformed. I just haven't been able to get into him enough to bother.

I think the price rise for Hound seals the deal. If I loved the figure I would just pay it but my thoughts on the figure mean that I would just be buying for the sake of it. I think my collection may be complete unless they do bring out MP Jazz. Assuming I don't feel the same way as I do about Hound but Jazz is my biggest want.

Soundwarp
8th June 2019, 02:37 PM
IMHO I reckon that alternators hound was perfection.

spiderken17
8th June 2019, 07:51 PM
I just pre-ordered one from Oh My Primus. I am not going to risk any of the Aussie retailers for better 1. delivery and/or 2. price.

drifand
9th June 2019, 01:15 PM
^ This. All of this. Thank you.

And I disagree, many do not know the actual truth about the licensing and we are just justifying it by saying so. We done this before, there is no evidence that suggests Takara is charging you more because of a license. Prove it to say it.

There are $5 toy cars that are licensed as well. What I find is we give excuses to justify the purchase.

Back to topic. I think hound looks great just I don’t feel like spending $200.
I paid $180 for mp Magnus, $175 for an inferno mp, how is hound $175 excluding shipping cost?

Only reason we paying more now is our Aussie dollar is weak. The China trade war definitely didn’t help.

Tha_Phantom
9th June 2019, 01:59 PM
And I disagree, many do not know the actual truth about the licensing and we are just justifying it by saying so. We done this before, there is no evidence that suggests Takara is charging you more because of a license. Prove it to say it.

There are $5 toy cars that are licensed as well. What I find is we give excuses to justify the purchase.

Philby didn't just mention the cost of licensing being a factor, but also the conditions that come with it, which could make a figure more complicated. Now you might say that licensing could always have created these issues, which is true, but as Takara move more and more toward slavish cartoon accuracy their commitment to that and pleasing the companies they are licensing from can clash. For example, Masterpeice Sunstreaker has the toy/cartoon accurate exposed engine parts, but also has the ability to flip them away and have the vehicle be more realistic. This is a perfect example of Takara trying to please fans and Lamborghini simultaneously and you can't think that didn't add to the overall cost.

paying for licensing is a real cost, and who knows if designs and engineering had to be changed and made more complicated and expensive to accomodate the licensor.

drifand
9th June 2019, 05:44 PM
I said whatever I needed to say. I just feel people are over justifying the license but when Takara has never mentioned an issue with it.
I keep hearing the same thing about jazz , trailbreaker and anything that is not released. License issues when no sort of evidence saying is so.

End of the day to me is pure for profit that they raise prices. Like it or not you buy it if you justify it to be worth it. I think hound is great, price I don’t think it fits.
As Goki shown binaltech in the past, a Subaru wrx all licensed and with all the watermark printed under $100.

I also felt mp44 starscream head was over the top, and seriously how many people is going to bother with it?

Tha_Phantom
9th June 2019, 06:04 PM
As Goki shown binaltech in the past, a Subaru wrx all licensed and with all the watermark printed under $100.

It's unfair to compare MP to Binaltech. Aside from the heads, Binaltech had no G1 accuracy to adhere to, they were allowed to be their own thing. Masterpiece has to look a very specific way in alt mode and a very very specific way in bot mode.

drifand
9th June 2019, 06:38 PM
You are right which brings back to mp-1 still ending up cheaper than mp hound.

Mp Magnus is toon accurate and is cheaper than hound.lol

Mp inferno heaps of accessories, toon accurate and larger than hound still cheaper than mp hound.

Tha_Phantom
9th June 2019, 06:55 PM
You are right which brings back to mp-1 still ending up cheaper than mp hound.

Mp Magnus is toon accurate and is cheaper than hound.lol

Mp inferno heaps of accessories, toon accurate and larger than hound still cheaper than mp hound.

MP1 has no place here. The truck mode is garbage by modern MP standards and both MP10 and MP44 far outclass the bot mode.

Magnus is very toon accurate but not cheaper than Hound unless you're referring to second hand sales.

Inferno does have a very cartoon accurate bot mode but the vehicle mode is not as realistic as it could be (although it is on par with the G1 toy).

drifand
9th June 2019, 07:17 PM
Hell no mp-1 is by far in place as the only serious masterpiece here.
Wow calling that garbage? You lost the plot.

Magnus was $185 shipped from ny. In fact cheaper and I am not even going to get pc involved.

You are definitely giving lot of excuses for inferno.

How about Takara just wants more profit? Is that hard to accept? I don’t think there is anything wrong, I just don’t think I can justify paying that much. I would have bought at the $175 marked delivered.

I bought mp44 btw. I just think hound is pushing it a wee too far

griffin
9th June 2019, 07:22 PM
Moving on....

http://toycollectors.com.au/letitgo.gif

ZoonMaster5000
9th June 2019, 09:33 PM
Yup, I am out of the MP scene

$1 for every time this has been said and I could afford an mp hound:D.

So hound is going to be about the same as sunstreaker but with more accessories? I’m ok with that as I feel the engineering needed to get these looking as good as they do has really stepped up over the last 4-5 releases.

spiderken17
9th June 2019, 10:45 PM
The regular character releases are now so far apart that the cost going up doesnt really bother me (yet). I am just looking forward to an all new figure.

KELPIE
11th June 2019, 11:40 AM
I'm going to ask a stupid question:

Has that canopy been seen in any of the G1 episodes? I just can't remember it.

Jazzman
11th June 2019, 02:44 PM
I'm going to ask a stupid question:

Has that canopy been seen in any of the G1 episodes? I just can't remember it.

The Sub-Atlantica episode, where they Autobots submerge, I think :confused:

philby
11th June 2019, 03:04 PM
At least one. There are screen shots in the tfw2005 thread.

neomoz
11th June 2019, 05:51 PM
I think he looks great and he's one of the last season 1 autobot MP figures I'm missing in my collection, preordered with ohmyprimus.

The price isn't too bad considering the accessories and what I've been paying lately for 3rd party fill ins.

Raider
14th June 2019, 08:56 PM
No doubt I'll get this but I just can't stop staring at the neck... or more specifically the gap between the bonnet and the neck...

drifand
14th June 2019, 09:50 PM
No doubt I'll get this but I just can't stop staring at the neck... or more specifically the gap between the bonnet and the neck...

Is a GoPro. lol

griffin
26th June 2019, 07:34 PM
Heaps of nice images in one of the Japanese hobby magazines that just came out (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/06/22/figure-king-no-257-scans-transformers-masterpiece-mp-47-hound-studio-series-masterpiece-movie-mpm-08-megatron-transformers-cyberverse-war-for-cybertron-siege-omega-supreme-beast-wars-maste-390131), showing the different accessories.... and almost all of the robot mode photos are taken with an upward angle to hide the neck... so there must be something wrong with its design for TakaraTomy to want to hide it.

griffin
26th June 2019, 08:13 PM
A promotional video for Hound on TakaraTomy's youtube channel (edit - now looks to be gone, or is region-blocked - a facebook video can be seen here (https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2273040359580343) which could be the same one).

The video link (in case it comes back) and heaps of screen shots here (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/06/21/official-takara-tomy-masterpiece-mp-47-hound-promotional-video-390056).

Sinnertwin
26th June 2019, 09:14 PM
Am I the only one that doesn't care about the neck?
Granted mine will be staying sealed, still...

philby
27th June 2019, 02:13 PM
Nah it doesn't really bother me, as long as it doesn't interfere with articulation or anything

griffin
27th July 2019, 09:27 PM
Some more images of Hound (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/07/26/acghk-2019-masterpiece-hound-on-display-showing-new-g1-toy-accurate-rifle-392961), on display at the Hong Kong AGC convention, in a display case with the new Optimus, Black Widow, the new Bumblebee, and at the top of the display case is the Generations Star Convoy.

Paulbot
24th December 2019, 09:18 PM
Hlj just charged me for this. It feels like it’s been a long wait for this guy.

griffin
24th December 2019, 09:20 PM
After delays, and almost a year and a half since it's first reveal, Masterpiece Hound is only a week away from release, and someone in Asia has just been showing it off (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/12/23/transformers-masterpiece-mp-47-hound-in-hand-images-402813), with the Asia bonus pin (shown next to a Bumblebee coin to show its size).

philby
27th December 2019, 07:51 PM
Got my payment request from Oh My Primus so should be on the way soon!

danny-boy
28th December 2019, 12:48 AM
Got my payment request from Oh My Primus so should be on the way soon!

same. ohmyprimus get the official releases pretty quick. I?m glad because it?s my go to store.

I?ve always loved Hound. It?s great to see the designers at Takara have done the character justice.

griffin
28th December 2019, 06:32 PM
HLJ charged me as well the other day.

An Autobot car for about AU$200... I remember when the MP Autobot Cars were always about AU$80 (before Ironhide, who was a little bigger).
These last few 84-85 Autobot Cars are really getting to be expensive loose ends.
Still five to go - Jazz, Trailbreaker, Mirage, Hoist, Skids... and I can see all but Mirage being really expensive too. :(

danny-boy
28th December 2019, 08:55 PM
HLJ charged me as well the other day.

An Autobot car for about AU$200... I remember when the MP Autobot Cars were always about AU$80 (before Ironhide, who was a little bigger).
These last few 84-85 Autobot Cars are really getting to be expensive loose ends.
Still five to go - Jazz, Trailbreaker, Mirage, Hoist, Skids... and I can see all but Mirage being really expensive too. :(

The price hike isn?t justified. These figures should be flawless at these prices but the QC issues are just as widespread as they were when MP-12 came out.

It?s frustrating. Takara Tomy are giving us the best representation of these characters but are letting us all down with the continuous QC issues.

Tha_Phantom
28th December 2019, 09:37 PM
The price hike was justified for Sunstreaker at around the $140 mark. Show me an MP Autobot car with as many in-built features and complicated engineering before it. Can't say Bee 2.0 is worth more, nor is Hound from what I can see, but of course I ordered both anyway. :rolleyes:

graza78
28th December 2019, 10:38 PM
Almost pulled the trigger this morning, then read about door and hinge cracks. I don't mind paint imperfections as long as the figure won't break. Good ol' Takara still doesn't give a shit charging premium prices for sub par qc.

Went and bought a couple more detolf shelves instead. Will wait for a re-release, hopefully with fixed issues. First round buyers are getting screwed.

danny-boy
28th December 2019, 11:59 PM
Almost pulled the trigger this morning, then read about door and hinge cracks. I don't mind paint imperfections as long as the figure won't break. Good ol' Takara still doesn't give a shit charging premium prices for sub par qc.

Went and bought a couple more detolf shelves instead. Will wait for a re-release, hopefully with fixed issues. First round buyers are getting screwed.

I?ll take my chances. I don?t think I could wait for a reissue of Hound.

graza78
29th December 2019, 12:48 AM
I?ll take my chances. I don?t think I could wait for a reissue of Hound.

Waited years already. If Takara don't do it for a while, maybe fanstoys will re-release with a toon accurate Willis.

1AZRAEL1
29th December 2019, 11:34 AM
Takara?s Hound is better than FansToys Willis. Also that figure had a widespread problem with broken/loose ankles. The issues on MP Hound look to be a vocal minority. There?s plenty of good reports.

Just your opinion. I like Willis better. But I'm glad there's an official one now. And my Willis doesn't have issues, and didn't see any reports of issues. But I wasn't looking either.

I may buy onenof these in the future if the price comes down a bit. I can't justify 200 bucks for myself.