PDA

View Full Version : December Qs for Hasbro (closes November 25th).

griffin
1st November 2008, 01:54 AM
December submission - 20 questions to Hasbro by the 1st December, so please post your questions by the 25th November (to give me enough time to sort and check out the best ones, and to converse with anyone who posted something that needs or could be reworded).

Make sure you read the 'Rules' posting before you post your questions.

The various questions posted at the end of the last month's topic will also be considered.

liegeprime
1st November 2008, 07:55 AM
Will Hasbro ever do again their Checklist type full colored catalogues like they used to in G1, with all the different products - toys and merchandise - listed and included rather than the "sample" type little catalogue they include now in packaging of the toys?

MV75
1st November 2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=57664&postcount=8

If what that thing I said?

roller
1st November 2008, 10:42 PM
Will Hasbro Australia be planning any specific publicity stunts, Eg: competitions etc, in the lead up to the live action movie sequel?

Sky Shadow
2nd November 2008, 11:18 AM
My questions for December - thanks Griffin!

1. Is it true that the past twenty-five years of Transformers weren't actually production-model toys: they were just prototypes for Lugnut?

2. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Voyager Lugnut is too small. Does Hasbro have any machines with which customers can zap their Lugnuts in order to make them bigger (like the one that Rick Moranis had in 'Honey I Blew Up The Kids')?

3. If not, then are there any intentions for a life-sized Lugnut toy that can actually fly?

4. Hasbro was almost going to finish the toyline with Lugnut because they didn't know how they could improve on perfection, but then they realised they could recolour him 'Atomic' and allowed the line to continue. In order to keep Transformers going for the foreseeable future, what other recolours of Lugnut does Hasbro have planned?

5. How did you come up with the name 'Lugnut'?

6. Rumour has it that the Classics 2.0 line is going to end and be relaunched as Classics 3.0, a line consisting of Legends Lugnut, Deluxe Lugnut, Ultra Lugnut, Leader Lugnut, Action Masters Lugnut, Beast Riders Lugnut, Kiss Play Lugnut and Supreme Lugnut. Is there any truth to these rumours and, if so, how soon can we expect these toys instead of the shelfwarmers we have now?

7. Will the pictures of Masterpiece Lugnut first be released to the Official Transformers Collectors' Club or leaked straight to the general public?

8. Are there any plans to release some "Lugnut's Greatest Victories" two-packs, such as Lugnut versus Optimus Prime, Lugnut versus Unicron, Lugnut versus Brawn, etc.

9. In order to revitalise the ailing 'Transformers Animated', would Hasbro consider changing the name of the toyline and animated series to 'Lugnut and His Amazing Friends'?

10. And, finally, if Lugnut was a sandwich, what kind of sandwich would he be?

dirge
2nd November 2008, 11:38 AM
You have a lot of spare time, Sky Shadow...

roller
2nd November 2008, 12:22 PM
My questions for December - thanks Griffin!

1. Is it true that the past twenty-five years of Transformers weren't actually production-model toys: they were just prototypes for Lugnut?

2. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Voyager Lugnut is too small. Does Hasbro have any machines with which customers can zap their Lugnuts in order to make them bigger (like the one that Rick Moranis had in 'Honey I Blew Up The Kids')?

3. If not, then are there any intentions for a life-sized Lugnut toy that can actually fly?

4. Hasbro was almost going to finish the toyline with Lugnut because they didn't know how they could improve on perfection, but then they realised they could recolour him 'Atomic' and allowed the line to continue. In order to keep Transformers going for the foreseeable future, what other recolours of Lugnut does Hasbro have planned?

5. How did you come up with the name 'Lugnut'?

6. Rumour has it that the Classics 2.0 line is going to end and be relaunched as Classics 3.0, a line consisting of Legends Lugnut, Deluxe Lugnut, Ultra Lugnut, Leader Lugnut, Action Masters Lugnut, Beast Riders Lugnut, Kiss Play Lugnut and Supreme Lugnut. Is there any truth to these rumours and, if so, how soon can we expect these toys instead of the shelfwarmers we have now?

7. Will the pictures of Masterpiece Lugnut first be released to the Official Transformers Collectors' Club or leaked straight to the general public?

8. Are there any plans to release some "Lugnut's Greatest Victories" two-packs, such as Lugnut versus Optimus Prime, Lugnut versus Unicron, Lugnut versus Brawn, etc.

9. In order to revitalise the ailing 'Transformers Animated', would Hasbro consider changing the name of the toyline and animated series to 'Lugnut and His Amazing Friends'?

10. And, finally, if Lugnut was a sandwich, what kind of sandwich would he be?

you rock Shadowster!!!!!

Sky Shadow
2nd November 2008, 12:45 PM
You have a lot of spare time, Sky Shadow...

My home internet hasn't been working for the past couple of weeks so I've had a lot of time to invent Transformers news in my head. :D

Pulse
2nd November 2008, 01:48 PM
That sure is an unhealthy fixation with Lugnut... :D (almost as bad as Digger's used to be with Rick... :D I'm just joking Digger :))

STL
2nd November 2008, 11:23 PM
Oh god! That was hilarious, Shadow! Gold!

i_amtrunks
3rd November 2008, 10:35 AM
So can we submit all of Shadow's questions to Hasbro please?

And we may need to make mention that he is always referring to the beautiful Animated Lugnut, not the horrible Cybertron scout figure.

liegeprime
3rd November 2008, 12:13 PM
An Arcee ( g1esque car type) mold has been shown at Botcon which would have been released had the Titanium line wasnt cancelled, which is really such a waste. Will there be ANY plans AT ALL from Hasbro to EVER release a G1 type Arcee using that mold? Given that she is an iconic character, that has NEVER EVER was given her PROPER G1 figure, that of a cybertronic looking pink car and NOT a motorbike ( in all different shapes and styles) as was later released figures of various lines in her namesake. Especially since there is the TFU 2.0 line where new molds, modern renditions of old G1 characters can be effectively released into without the need for an overall background storyline to tie up the various characters in this line and she should be included in the 25th anniversary as well, being the iconic 1st femmebot, REALLY. Unicron had his figure ( G1 based at that) finally realeased after years of clamor and wait, shall we wait years more or never hope at all for Arcee?

I didnt know how to make the sentences out better, Griffin, so if ever fell free to jumble it up to make it sound less frustrated and annoyed.

autobreadticon
3rd November 2008, 10:02 PM
I want to know why robot heroes wave 3 packs release were limited. And will we be getting any in Australia.

Did Hasbro offer the Wave 3 RH to retailers?

Would they consider releasing combat heroes packed in with a reference transformer from the GI.Joe series, e.g Megatron G1 and Com. Cobra

TheDirtyDigger
5th November 2008, 04:32 PM
Question: When will we see a figure of Sari Sumdac?

STL
5th November 2008, 10:33 PM
The stooges making Spike and Sparkplug are making him, I believe. Not official but IIRC the pics looked decent.

Pulse
5th November 2008, 11:31 PM
The stooges making Spike and Sparkplug are making him, I believe. Not official but IIRC the pics looked decent.

They're pretty expensive little props... (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=ITC10011&mode=retail) :rolleyes:

TheDirtyDigger
7th November 2008, 07:53 AM
They're pretty expensive little props... (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=ITC10011&mode=retail) :rolleyes:

That's an activator she's next to right? She must be about 1 inch high.

jaydisc
7th November 2008, 11:24 AM
Nah, that's the oversized Deluxe.

roller
7th November 2008, 10:51 PM
Have Hasbro ever considered releasing Generation 1 Season 5 on dvd or video?

Do the toys arrive in the country by ship or aircraft?

griffin
8th November 2008, 02:08 AM
Have Hasbro ever considered releasing Generation 1 Season 5 on dvd or video?

Do the toys arrive in the country by ship or aircraft?

What exactly do you believe is Season 5? You submitted that before, but I thought it was already explained that all of Gen1 has been released, including the JP Gen1 series.

And the toys would arrive by boat (in shipping containers). They import way too much toy stock (not just TFs) for an aircraft. And if they did airfreight it, the toys would be a lot more expensive.
But if we run out of questions one month, I can slot that one in for a definite answer.

Borgeman
8th November 2008, 12:13 PM
you could always expand the qu to ask if stock is ever shipped in by air....

George

Sky Shadow
8th November 2008, 12:46 PM
What exactly do you believe is Season 5?

I believe Roller means the Sci Fi Channel reruns hosted by Puppetmaster Optimus Prime and Tommy Kennedy.

http://zobovor.tripod.com/edits.html#Fifth Season
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Generation_1_(cartoon)#Season_5
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Tommy_Kennedy

Gutsman Heavy
8th November 2008, 01:27 PM
but it had the same eps right? so... point?

roller
8th November 2008, 04:58 PM
I believe Roller means the Sci Fi Channel reruns hosted by Puppetmaster Optimus Prime and Tommy Kennedy.

http://zobovor.tripod.com/edits.html#Fifth Season
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Generation_1_(cartoon)#Season_5
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Tommy_Kennedy

thats the one

I want to see Powermaster optimus and Tommy, im sure completist fans would like to own this rather unique piece of Tf history on dvd too

griffin
8th November 2008, 09:59 PM
Funny you should mention that, as I had only just read about the Tommy Kennedy article (it was a random article link) because the name didn't ring any bells. Still not familiar with it, as I don't know if they were ever screened here. The thing to note on that wiki article though, is that it alleges that the actor has been 'lost', and would need his consent before Hasbro could release them for sale. Maybe his original contract didn't cover the production and sale of copies, only the lease of it to broadcasters.
I think it would be interesting to watch though.

jaydisc
10th November 2008, 11:47 PM
Have we asked if Universe Bruticus and Superion are expected to grace our shores? Or is that a bit too pre-release?

griffin
11th November 2008, 04:39 AM
I can ask if they are going to be regular releases here or store exclusives. And if we aren't getting them at all, they would either say so, or just say no to both options.

kup
11th November 2008, 10:25 AM
Are there Youtube videos of this Season 5?

roller
11th November 2008, 11:53 AM
Are there Youtube videos of this Season 5?

there is 1, but it only has a a few seconds before becoming a music video

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay53Xpp-8LM

Apparently someone in WA has season 5 on video or dvd

1orion2many
11th November 2008, 02:34 PM
:confused:Yes I do but I can't remember how much of it I have. I will now have to dig through all my VHS tapes for you roller, will let you know when I find them;).

Pulse
11th November 2008, 03:04 PM
Is this what you're referring to as "Season 5"?

Additionally, a fifth season of sorts was aired in 1988, serving as a kind of "best of" collection of the series. The most notable feature of this twenty-episode run was the new intro and concluding segments added to the episodes, which consisted of Powermaster Optimus Prime (rendered in a mixture of puppetry and stop motion animation) relating the events of the episodes to a human boy named Tommy Kennedy. The opening sequence comprised animation taken from contemporary toy adverts, and Prime occasionally referred to new toy characters like Cloudburst. Apparently never re-run after its original airing, the series aired More Than Meets the Eye Parts 1-3, The Ultimate Doom Parts 1-3, Five Faces of Darkness Parts 1-5, Dark Awakening, the out-of-place Surprise Party, The Return of Optimus Prime Parts 1-2, and most notably, The Transformers: The Movie, split up and aired in five segments, with Stan Bush's music video for The Touch included in the final part.

1orion2many
11th November 2008, 05:03 PM
:)Yes I believe that is what roller is after.

roller
11th November 2008, 09:16 PM
:confused:Yes I do but I can't remember how much of it I have. I will now have to dig through all my VHS tapes for you roller, will let you know when I find them;).

thanks

griffin
12th November 2008, 03:21 AM
Sounds a bit like the Gen2 cartoon, with a little more effort in the extra bits.

roller
12th November 2008, 06:29 PM
a US fan told me the intro is hell good, even though its footage is 90% recycled.

Bartrim
13th November 2008, 11:29 AM
I don't know if it's been asked yet (I didn't see it anywhere) but I'd like to know how they decide what characters get a "Universe makeover"? Specifically the lesser known characters like Dropshot and Heavyload.

Maybe someone who is a little more tactful can ask the question in a nicer manner :D

roller
14th November 2008, 01:58 AM
on whos authority is the "Level of conversion" meter decided?

You know the thing that says "Basic" "Intermediate" etc

Eg: a kid would find transforming an Alternator tougher then an adult

so do they decide by the age of a kid or adult, does the certain toy line dictate the rating system?

Do Hasbro execs pray to a giant Mr potato head?

lcz128
15th November 2008, 09:20 AM
What determines plastic colour choice, and is it as rational as it should be?
On the one hand I understand the need to make the toys POP off the shelf at kids / consumers, but I really believe the new packaging manages to do this successfully. So, giving an example to illustrate the differences :
Universe Ironhide. An awesome toy, but the colour of the plastic is almost orangey, whereas the Henkei toy seems to be cast in a darker, richer, RED colour. Is there significant cost differences in using the lighter tone?
Also, with 'grey' parts of toys, somehow, TakaraTomy is able to have their plastic a different shade of grey where it actually doesn't look as flat or dull as the Hasbro counterparts. Is this intentional, or would the cost have been significantly higher for something like that?
Finally, connector parts for say, Universe Galvatron: are they bright orange as a safety concern? Or perhaps to assist factory workers in identifying them?

I would like to know what's the thought process that goes in when making a decision like this, and have to say that recent choices of 'white' where 'grey' used to go look stunning (Sideswipe vs Sunstreaker). Seems like White is the new Grey, and I'm not complaining! :)

Gutsman Heavy
18th November 2008, 06:19 PM
here's one

Q: Is there any chance of seeing some fiction to back up the Universe line? (Comics, webisodes, ANYTHING)

kurdt_the_goat
18th November 2008, 06:31 PM
Gutsman, that one was already answered to some degree in the recent issue of Transformers Club magazine - they said there wouldn't be any over-arching story. That said, since then we've seen the webisode, which i think i read somewhere is the first in a possible series.

Pulse
18th November 2008, 06:52 PM
Gutsman, that one was already answered to some degree in the recent issue of Transformers Club magazine - they said there wouldn't be any over-arching story. That said, since then we've seen the web-episode, which i think i read somewhere is the first in a possible series.

Makes you think of the reasoning for that web-episode... I mean, the first episode doesn't do a very good job of selling the toys but Hasbro wouldn't get their animation department to put it together for no reason... :confused:

jacksplatt11
18th November 2008, 06:54 PM
Maybe the question could be reworded, into something like..

Will there be more webisodes?
Or
Is the intent of of the webisodes to create a fiction for the Universe TFs, or simply to advertise?

Something along the lines of that I guess

Gutsman Heavy
18th November 2008, 10:25 PM
that could work

griffin
19th November 2008, 01:59 PM
(inspired by Lord Zed's posting) Is there any chance Hasbro (or the Collector Club) will ever use any of the Marvel Crossover Transformers and redeco/new-head them into Transformers characters? (obviously the SW TFs can't be used because of their SW alt modes, but the MTFs have alt modes that aren't specifically 'owned' by Marvel)

roller
24th November 2008, 12:55 PM
whats the reason behind calling universe 2 "Universe 2" ? I thought it was supposed to be called "Transformers Heroes"

griffin
24th November 2008, 01:40 PM
If I recall, 'Heroes' was the working title for Animated? Someone who remembers, can correct me on that.

i_amtrunks
24th November 2008, 02:03 PM
If I recall, 'Heroes' was the working title for Animated? Someone who remembers, can correct me on that.

Nope that sounds right to me.

roller
24th November 2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah i was caught between universe 2 and animated, anyway

Q.Why the name change for animated ? 'Transformers Heroes' why was this title dropped?

Q. Why reuse the name "Universe" for "Universe 2" ? The 2 lines have very little in common.

lcz128
25th November 2008, 10:11 PM
I don't know how appropriate this question is but let's go anyway:
Are figures that are released again (say the universe 5-pack of deluxes or the galaxy force Op and Crumplezone) completely redone using the same moulds from the cybertron series, or are they in fact a repackaging of things that haven't sold at the end of the line? - Perhaps what I really want to get to is "what happens to toys that aren't sold - are they returned to Hasbro? What happens to them? Charity? Destroyed? Repackaging?"

I'm actually really curious about what happens to the leftovers and if they're put to good use :)

TheDirtyDigger
26th November 2008, 09:14 AM
Q: Where are the November answers?

griffin
26th November 2008, 04:12 PM
No idea. I don't get any word back or reply saying they got it, and I have no idea if they did.

roller
26th November 2008, 06:10 PM
I don't know how appropriate this question is but let's go anyway:
Are figures that are released again (say the universe 5-pack of deluxes or the galaxy force Op and Crumplezone) completely redone using the same moulds from the cybertron series, or are they in fact a repackaging of things that haven't sold at the end of the line? - Perhaps what I really want to get to is "what happens to toys that aren't sold - are they returned to Hasbro? What happens to them? Charity? Destroyed? Repackaging?"

I'm actually really curious about what happens to the leftovers and if they're put to good use :)

Ive always been told by other collectors that they get sent to discount shops and are sold for something way way below their retail price, ive never seen tfs on sale at super cheapo places myself.

But i think that question would be a good one to ask. What makes you think it is inappropriate?

jaydisc
27th November 2008, 01:00 AM
For Universe Bruticus, why did Hasbro choose to implement Swindle as a helicopter and Blast-Off as a tank?

Deonasis
27th November 2008, 10:47 PM
Do they have some rough figures on what percentage of tf's sold are bought FOR adults in oz (for collecting or nostaliga)?

Maybe an age group break down of sales?
Example:
4-8yrs = 26%
9-12yrs = 30%
...etc..

jaydisc
28th November 2008, 08:06 AM
I'd also like to know if they'd be willing to provide a percentage breakdown of various lines:

Animated
Universe
Movie

roller
29th November 2008, 12:21 AM
Any idea if there will ever be an Australian DVD box set release of "Robots in Disguise" crammed full o' extras?

King Atlas
29th November 2008, 12:58 PM
For Universe Bruticus, why did Hasbro choose to implement Swindle as a helicopter and Blast-Off as a tank? Could the reason(s) be because the designers didn't want two of the same scouts representing both arms and legs, just like they did (advertised) with the energon combiners? I guess they wanted to stick with the g1 layout but also try to make the "illusion" that there are 5 different molds.....

jaydisc
29th November 2008, 03:19 PM
Good theory, but I'd still like to hear the answer from the horse's mouth.

griffin
1st December 2008, 04:14 PM
Submitted these as this month's Questions:

1 - For Universe Bruticus, why did Hasbro choose to implement Swindle as a helicopter and Blast-Off as a tank?

2 - Will Hasbro Australia be planning any specific publicity stunts, Eg: competitions etc, in the lead up to the live action movie sequel?

3 - Any idea if there will be an Australian DVD box set release of remaining TFs cartoons, like 'Robots in Disguise', 'Energon', 'Armada', 'Cybertron'?

4 - Will Hasbro ever do again their Checklist type full colored catalogues like they used to in G1, with all the different products - toys and merchandise - listed and included rather than the "sample" type little catalogue they include now in packaging of the toys?

5 - Is it likely to ever see a release of Generation 1 'Season 5' (about 20 Gen1 episodes aired in 1988, with added intros and closures, a bit like the Generation2 version done in the early 90s) on dvd?

6 - The Hasbro people at BotCon this year said they were looking to release a Sari Sumdac toy, is that still happening?

7 - Would they consider releasing combat heroes packed in with a reference transformer from the GI.Joe series as a series of 2-packs, e.g Megatron with Cobra Commander.

8 - Does anyone actually decide the 'Conversion Difficulty Level' on the toys, or is it just given a standardised number based on its size class?

9 - How does Hasbro decide what classic characters get a "Universe makeover", especially with the lesser known characters like Dropshot and Heavyload - do you redeco a mould to match a character, or match a character to a mould redeco?

10 - What determines plastic/paint colour choice, when the Hasbro version differs to the Takara version? Like, is it just a cost issue for lighter plastic colours, or a visual/marketting decision?

11 - TF Universe had a 'webisode' recently on the Hasbro Transformers site - will there be more, or any other fiction for Universe?

12 - Why the name for 'Animated' changed from 'Heroes'?

13 - Do you ever get stuck with toys that none of the retailers want? If yes, what do you do with them?

14 - Do Retailers ever return stock they can't sell?

15 - Does Hasbro (US or AUS) have any statistics on the demographics percentages of the customers of their Transformers products, to see what age groups are buying them for marketting purposes?

16 - Do you have a percentage breakdown of units sold in Australia of Animated, Universe, Movie, and 'Other' to see which is the more popular line?

17 - Why does Universe Galvatron have bright orange parts to it?

18 - Were the Movie 'Preview' (Protoform Optimus and Starscream) concept figures last April considered a success or failure to Hasbro in terms of sales and retailer interest?

19 - What are Hasbro's thoughts on the Fans-Project City Commander (Classics Ultra Magnus Trailer/exosuit), and would Hasbro ever consider doing something like that in the future?

20 - Have these been taken up by an AUS store yet, or still TBC:
- Voyager Sunstorm w/Activator Ratchet and Voyager 'Gen1' Shockwave w/Activator Bumblebee. (2009 TBC)
- Nemesis Prime (Universe/Classics Voyager Decepticon) (US SDCC/AUS maybe in 2009)
- Battle for the Cyber Planet Keys (Deluxe 5-pack - repack) (maybe Jun-Jul)

- - - - - - -
Questions that didn't make the cut this month, but still on the short list for next time:

Is there any chance Hasbro (or the Collector Club) will ever use any of the Marvel Crossover Transformers and redeco/new-head them into Transformers characters, because unlike SWTFs, the MTFs have generic alt-modes?

A similar question is already being submitted by the Allspark forum, so I'll see what the answer is to that before deciding if this one is even necessary.

An Arcee ( g1esque car type) mold has been shown at Botcon which would have been released had the Titanium line wasnt cancelled, which is really such a waste. Will there be ANY plans AT ALL from Hasbro to EVER release a G1 type Arcee using that mold? Given that she is an iconic character, that has NEVER EVER was given her PROPER G1 figure, that of a cybertronic looking pink car and NOT a motorbike ( in all different shapes and styles) as was later released figures of various lines in her namesake. Especially since there is the TFU 2.0 line where new molds, modern renditions of old G1 characters can be effectively released into without the need for an overall background storyline to tie up the various characters in this line and she should be included in the 25th anniversary as well, being the iconic 1st femmebot, REALLY. Unicron had his figure ( G1 based at that) finally realeased after years of clamor and wait, shall we wait years more or never hope at all for Arcee?

I think Eric has since answered this, but not officially, so will try to see if I can get something from him about the Animated Arcee. If it still doesn't answer your question, I'll look at it for next month.

I want to know why robot heroes wave 3 packs release were limited. And will we be getting any in Australia.
Did Hasbro offer the Wave 3 RH to retailers?

Which are you referring to as Wave 3? The Movie RH, the Gen1 RH, or the new Universe RH?

Why reuse the name "Universe" for "Universe 2" ? The 2 lines have very little in common.

Should be included next month.

griffin
1st December 2008, 04:15 PM
I really wanted to include one of Skyshadow's Lugnut questions, but maybe in a later Q&A, when Hasbro know for sure that we are taking this opportunity seriously.

jaydisc
1st December 2008, 05:35 PM
Awesome!

(17 seems like a sub-question of 10 though)

lcz128
1st December 2008, 07:26 PM
YAY! :D
Am looking forward to the responses :)

griffin
2nd December 2008, 03:52 AM
Awesome!

(17 seems like a sub-question of 10 though)

They were both posted together by the same person, but seeing that a lot of November Qs were multi-part, I wanted to keep these Qs as simple as possible, and broke a few of them up. Maybe that's why Hasbro are either taking so long with the November Qs, or refusing to do them at all. Would be nice to know either way though...