PDA

View Full Version : New Bumblebee Movie trailer this week

griffin
23rd September 2018, 10:05 PM
According to some Chinese sources, a new Bumblebee Movie trailer comes out this week, and two 15 second clips have already been released as a teaser - one on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2154779644775045&id=444172810245&_rdr) and one on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryRP7-Nwtaw).

Obviously there will be spoilers, but this is a news topic, so spoilers it is...
The youtube teaser shows us several Decepticons, including a very retro Soundwave and Optimus on Cybertron, along with what could be Ravage, and the main Earth duo of Dropkick and Shatter.

Raptormesh
24th September 2018, 01:32 AM
I'm loving this much more than the bayformers. Hope this direction begins a new trilogy so I can forget the previous 4 movies :D.

Thurmus
24th September 2018, 10:03 AM
Real Prime, Soundwave and Ravage. Woo Hoo.

https://youtu.be/aIqYK8Qajlc

griffin
24th September 2018, 04:27 PM
Another 15 second teaser (https://www.instagram.com/p/BoELud4nJaU/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again) from the trailer that should be out in a matter of hours.

Real Prime, Soundwave and Ravage. Woo Hoo.

https://youtu.be/aIqYK8Qajlc

Looks like a compilation of the previous clips and trailer, for people to catch up on.

Paulbot
24th September 2018, 05:22 PM
And the trailer is here

https://www.facebook.com/bumblebeemovie/videos/294464731379223/

And seriously I didn't seek it out but I was shocked by what I saw.

TaZZerath
24th September 2018, 05:37 PM
Oh wow I'm getting a lot of good vibes off this. I pray it doesn't go and pull a TLK on my feels.

Meister
24th September 2018, 05:52 PM
And the trailer is here

https://www.facebook.com/bumblebeemovie/videos/294464731379223/

And seriously I didn't seek it out but I was shocked by what I saw.

Same here, just casually went to IMDB and it came up

All I can say is OMG those Cybertron scenes!!! G1 movieverse transformers!!!

Thurmus
24th September 2018, 07:03 PM
I think I am in love with this movie.

griffin
24th September 2018, 07:25 PM
We were warned all weekend that there would be a new trailer released today... but what we weren't told, is that there were actually two trailers released. The one on facebook by the official Movie page, and this one on youtube by the Movie distributor in Singapore (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKAqSqvQm0M), featuring a lot more Robot action, including on Cybertron and Blitzwing.

(TFW have a huge gallery of HD Screenshots from the trailer (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/09/24/transformers-bumblebee-movie-trailer-2-hd-screen-caps-372231), for anyone wanting to get a clear look at various characters)

Very exciting.

MayzaPrime
24th September 2018, 08:07 PM
Wow just wow!

Raptormesh
24th September 2018, 09:18 PM
Yeah the trailer itself seems like the best rendition of live action Bee so far. Love the heart and humor in it.

i_amtrunks
24th September 2018, 09:20 PM
Back to the fish out of water "girl and her car".

Looks good, predictable but good.

dsphatlite
24th September 2018, 09:20 PM
Here is the Youtube link for those that prefer to use the tube and also if they want to save it.

https://youtu.be/lcwmDAYt22k

Magnus
24th September 2018, 10:19 PM
The trailer looks good, but to be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that Travis Knight seems to be leaning into the G1 designs - it seems to be pandering to 'geewunner' fanboys and disregards the continuity and design language the previous movies have established, giving ammunition to people who criticise what they see as a lack of continuity between Transformers movies when this one is meant to be a prequel, not a reboot.

I like the movieverse design aesthetic because it actually showcases the Transformers as complex mechanical aliens - the classic Floro Dery designs were too simple and terrestrial-looking to be believable as alien.

SharkyMcShark
25th September 2018, 11:31 AM
The Earth bits look interesting.

The Cybertron G1 fan service bits don't look that great. The CGI on them looks video game level.

The trailer looks good, but to be honest, I'm kind of disappointed that Travis Knight seems to be leaning into the G1 designs - it seems to be pandering to 'geewunner' fanboys and disregards the continuity and design language the previous movies have established, giving ammunition to people who criticise what they see as a lack of continuity between Transformers movies when this one is meant to be a prequel, not a reboot.

I like the movieverse design aesthetic because it actually showcases the Transformers as complex mechanical aliens - the classic Floro Dery designs were too simple and terrestrial-looking to be believable as alien.

I've got a theory that TK really really wanted this to be a reboot, and the studio couldn't really make its mind up in the early stages. He went for the reboot idea and then later on it was decided that this was definitely a sequel.

Ralph Wiggum
25th September 2018, 11:56 AM
As excited as I got for seeing the G1 designs, I hope this movie doesn’t throw in random crap at the expense of the core story. Still looks better than the Bay series.

griffin
25th September 2018, 05:16 PM
TFW's gallery of screenshots from the third trailer (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/09/24/transformers-bumblebee-movie-trailer-3-hd-screen-caps-372488).

Director Travis Knight talks about the new trailers on the Empire magazine website (https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/bumblebee-trailer-breakdown-travis-knight/).

"This film is Bumblebee's story," explains Knight. "It's effectively an origin story, where we see how he became the character that he is, where he came from, how he evolved. The Transformers film mythology is masive, it's expansive, it's huge. This film is an opportunity for us to focus in on one aspect of that canvas and that is Bumblebee. He has his Autobot family, he has these baddies that he goes up against. That is an aspect of his story but fundamentally it's about his relationship with this girl Charlie and how essentially they find each other and make each other whole. There are other layers at play but that is at the core of the story."

"There's a lot going on," laughs Knight. "If I was going to make a Transformers film I wanted to give nods to some of the things that I loved most about the series to begin with and for me seeing those original designs on Shockwave and Soundwave and Ravage and Wheeljack and all those different characters was a really exciting opportunity to take the audience back to that initial wave of Transformers and to evoke the same feeling that they evoked in me. I was pretty giddy bringing those guys to life."

Leading the hunt for Bumblebee are Decepticon triple-changers Shatter (Angela Bassett) and Dropkick (Justin Theroux). Shatter has a Harrier Jump Jet and a red Plymout Satellite muscle car up her robotic sleeve, while Dropkick can flit between a blue AMC Javelin car and a Bell AH-1 SuperCobra attack helicopter. Being Decepticons they're not the most reliable of sources, informing Agent Burns that they're on the trail of a fugitive (Bumblebee), whose capture is essential to stopping an interstellar war.

"The triple changer aspect was something we leaned into just because I thought it was cool. I wanted to showcase how formidable an opponent could be if they have those kind of abilities and putting our main character up against someting like that was really exciting. One of the things we do in animation is try to evoke an idea or a feeling just with something's silhouette. You can see in this film how with the two Decepticon heavies you have these big, muscular cars these angular aircraft and then you see them go up against this round, warm shape of a VW beetle. Just in the shape language you can evoke a certain feeling."

"We do go to Cybertron, yes, and I have to say it's pretty awesome! That's where the Transforers started and while it's not heavily featured in our film it is an aspect of it. I absolutely embraced the opportunity to see Cybertron the way I saw it when I was a kid."

DaptoDog
25th September 2018, 05:21 PM
G1 goodness! Ok I've seen enough, no more teasers.

Bidoofdude
25th September 2018, 06:35 PM
It's nice to see some more recognisable designs, even if they don't fit the movie aesthetic very well at all. They seem very WFC-esque and unifinished, even compared to the rounded, soft-looking Bumblebee. If they are trying to steer into a G1 movie franchise, this is not the best way in my opinion.

It's a bit disappointing to see people on Facebook and the like saying it will be good because of these G1 designs though, as it could be just as bad as past movies.

Hopefully it means at least that there is a little bit of passion and it won't totally suck.

griffin
25th September 2018, 07:04 PM
The Cybertron scenes look more like Computer Game animation, and not the more realistic CGI that Bay's movies had... making it stand out too much from the live action Earth scenes... but it is still three months away from release, so maybe this is just early animation and it is still being worked on with its detailing.

Lord_Zed
25th September 2018, 07:51 PM
Chances are they are trying to pull a Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom Goldblum effect with the Cybertron scenes and they will comprise only 2% of the movie.

That said I think the G1 designs are just so blocky and cartoony, you can't really get them to look lifelike, without diverging from the source a lot.

Dan
25th September 2018, 08:23 PM
Like a few others, I feel that the Cybertron scenes look like something from computer game cut scenes. However I should stress I mean that in terms of design rather than quality. I think part of my problem is over a decade of the Michael Bay movies might have conditioned me to think of a certain look as how one does 'realistic' alien transforming robots. My perceptions may change over time.

I notice that the key characters on Earth still fit within the existing live-action aesthetic while also including something of a G1 feel. I think they work and one thing I'm loving is we get to see clear transformation sequences, something the Bay movies increasingly avoided.

Mind you, those two new triple-changers are just showing off for the humans, turning from aircraft to cars for a few seconds before turning into robots. Sheesh! :)

As to the movie itself, I'm hopeful. Some of my favourite G1 cartoon episodes involved small casts, including humans, like Autobop and The Killing Jar, and smaller scale story-telling can sometimes feel bigger than an all-out extravaganza.

One more thing about the Cybertron scenes - the setting itself looks like a proper science fiction metropolis. The glimpses we got in the past movies always seemed more like a crystalline wasteland than a cityscape.

BigTransformerTrev
25th September 2018, 09:07 PM
Right now Blitzwing looking too much like Starscream is the only negative I am seeing.

G1'esque Shockwave, Soundwave, Ravage, Optimus, Starscream & Skywarp. Bee being a VW Bug, some new Triple-changing Decepticons - its all looking good! :D

Smint
26th September 2018, 12:29 AM

I highly doubt his intention was to pander to "geewun" fans. As with adapting any material you take certain liberties but try to remain faithful to the source material which it seems that's what his goal is. In this case he chose G1 as the source material because it's arguably the most beloved era. It's great that he understands this.

And it's not exactly 80's G1. You can still see plenty of the complex mechanics underneath the external parts. The main difference is being able to recognise what each bot transforms into instead of being a vomit of metal parts. That's great design IMO.

Thankfully Travis Knight understands what the "geewun" fans want. Something that's far closer to G1 aesthetics but that doesn't necessarily mean 80's cartoon blocky robots. To the mainstream audience they couldn't care less. They're just happy to see more robots and explosions.

First time i've been excited about a TF movie since bayformers 1.

drifand
26th September 2018, 02:40 PM
No idea why bee no voice then and still no voice now, that imo is the only bad thing I picked up.

Thurmus
26th September 2018, 03:19 PM
No idea why bee no voice then and still no voice now, that imo is the only bad thing I picked up.

Cause when he was injured and scanned the VW he was badly damaged and they haven't been able to fix it?

That is like saying "I can't believe Davo had his spinal cord cut and couldn't walk and now 20 years later he still can't walk. What's up with that?"

Lord_Zed
27th September 2018, 10:13 PM
Like a few others, I feel that the Cybertron scenes look like something from computer game cut scenes. However I should stress I mean that in terms of design rather than quality. I think part of my problem is over a decade of the Michael Bay movies might have conditioned me to think of a certain look as how one does 'realistic' alien transforming robots. My perceptions may change over time.

An interesting point, we wont know till the final cut come out, but I tend to agree the Cybertron Transformers don't necessarily look poorly rendered , but rather it's the contrast between the two. In the Earth scenes everything appears to be aimed at realism with simulated natural lightning and integration, while the Cybertron scenes look more like they are out of one of the Marvel Space movies, where everything is lit with crazy colours. I don't mean this as knock on films like Guardians of the Galaxy, but when they go to the giant planet shaped like a head, or have a brightly coloured spacedogfight it doesn't really look realistic, but nor is it trying to be.

In this trailer though it tends to make it a bit split, are they going for that grounded look, or a comic book look?

That said, with all the talk of the Cybertron scenes no one has mentioned the other most notable thing in the trailer, which is you can actually tell what's going on in the action scenes they showed.

drifand
29th September 2018, 10:38 AM
Cause when he was injured and scanned the VW he was badly damaged and they haven't been able to fix it?

That is like saying "I can't believe Davo had his spinal cord cut and couldn't walk and now 20 years later he still can't walk. What's up with that?"

We talking about transformers here. Not a crippled human being becoming robocop. So when Optimus looses his hand you saying his hand doesn't come back when we seen it so often it gets repaired. (yeah basically whats up with that exactly)

My rant is the story seems to be not good that Bee has never had a voice. It would have been nice to show how he lost it at least. He turned into a brand new spanking car and his voice is still not repaired. (how many episodes are we with bayformers?)

griffin
29th September 2018, 02:01 PM
The big flaw of Bee's voice is that the Allspark Cube was able to rebuild Frenzy from a head and regenerate a dead Megatron... but when Bumblebee touches the cube to shrink it, his voicebox isn't repaired. Not to mention reformatting when scanning a new form, that has the bot rebuit into somthing brand new... the voicebox is unaffected?
And after 7 years on Earth, Ratchet didn't have a chance to repair it.
As Deadpool once said about forcing a plot device... that's just lazy writing.

Smint
29th September 2018, 03:12 PM

I really dont understand this analogy. At this point in the series Transformers can literally come back from the dead. But Bumblebee's voice box cant be repaired?

Talking in radio signals was cute for 1 movie or 2. But I would really be endeared to him if he could actually talk and had the personality of G1 Bumblebee. He really was that best friend character. I would pay to see that.

GoktimusPrime
29th September 2018, 08:49 PM
When criticising this film's visual effects, I think that people need to bear in mind that this film was made with about HALF the budget that Michael Bay had with each of his Transformers films. And I personally prefer a good story with maybe not as fancy visual effects over a visual spectacle with a bad story.

e.g. Star Wars Original Trilogy
https://image.ibb.co/e9xJUK/meme_starwars.jpg

Meister
30th September 2018, 10:35 AM
Umm didn’t he get his voice back at the end of the first movie?.. “I wish to stay with the boy”...

Anyone who genuinely complains about consistency in the Bayverse at this point hasn’t been paying attention to, or gotten what these movies are all about. These have always been tackled as individual pop songs with little connection to eachother whatsoever, just enjoy the ride (if you can) and don’t think too much.

Having said that, I think this one looks the best so far

Ralph Wiggum
30th September 2018, 11:10 AM
I wonder if any attempt was made to give Bumblebee a voice/dialogue but it just never worked out for them. Love it or hate it, the voice clips were an easy way to portray his personality and dialogue. To move onto a proper script was probably too hard. Like Griff said, lazy writing.

BigTransformerTrev
4th October 2018, 06:58 PM
Latest Trailer is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2l175MOzVQ

Oh, and a spoiler I predicted ages ago in the Transformers Cyberverse thread:

Bumblebee has amnesia in this series, one has to wonder if that means he is going to have amnesia in the upcoming movie as well.

Told. Ya. So. ;)

griffin
4th October 2018, 11:04 PM
Looks like it could be the one that the Singapore distributor posted up last week, just without the subtitles getting in the way.
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=595852&postcount=9

BigTransformerTrev
5th October 2018, 07:17 AM
Whoops! Sorry! Please delete this thread then :o

griffin
5th October 2018, 11:57 AM
I will merge it with the other topic as this is a much better "clean" version of the trailer... without the unnecessary words in the way.

GoktimusPrime
5th October 2018, 04:37 PM
Not sure why Bumblebee's HUD text is in English...
I would've preferred it to be in Cybertronian with English subtitles, or even in Cybertronian glyphs that "transforms" into English like what we saw in the 2007 movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxPB6BNPf5Q

BigTransformerTrev
8th October 2018, 01:15 PM
I'm wondering if Dropkick and Shatter were originally going to be Drift and Windblade respectively in the previous series?

Think about it, both these characters were 'new G1' characters introduced in the IDW comics along with getting Generations toys. Then:

*TF4. Drift was blue and turned into a helicopter and a sports car, but we never saw him change from one to the other and never got a triple-changer toy.
-Dropkick is blue and turns into a helicopter into a sports car

*Windblade is a red femmebot that turns into a VTOL jet
-Shatter is a red femmebot that turns into a VTOL jet and a sportscar

So wondering if these were designs from a movie or two ago that never got used and so are getting their outing now. Just a suspicion from the myriad of coincidences.