PDA

View Full Version : Guinness World Record for the biggest collection of Transformers

Galvatran
26th September 2018, 07:25 PM
A UK-based digital article on 18th May 2018 titled: Manchester MD eyes up world record for his Transformers collection (http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2021593-manchester-md-eyes-world-record-transformers-collection)

Louis Georgiou, co-founder and managing director of Manchester-based digital agency Code Computerlove, has today launched his campaign to land the Guinness World Record for the biggest collection of Transformers.

His incredible collection of more than 1,900 Robots In Disguise and memorabilia such as magazines and DVDs far outstrips the current official record of 1,000, so he is confident his application will be successful.

He has catalogued his compilation and will be filming the official count next week.

A self-proclaimed obsessive character, he began collecting the plastic figures when looking to buy a Christmas present for his son.

He started displaying his unboxed favourites on his desk within the agency, based in Sevendale House in the Northern Quarter, but when his hobbyist habit escalated, and he moved on to amassing collectible boxed Transformers, he managed to fill the office and its storage spaces as the number of toys reached the four-figure mark

It was only when Id literally filled my house about a year ago that I realised it might be time stop, he said.

I do know that I get quite obsessed with things, and with the Transformers its about the collecting, but also the design, the illustrations, the artwork, the packaging, the engineering behind them and the clever transformations, he said.

Its very similar to how I got into the digital industry to begin with I started with a passion for design and an obsession with coding and engineering.

The trait that got me where I am in the industry is what also got me interested in Transformers.

Mr Georgiou will find out in the next few weeks if his attempt has been successful.

If he becomes the new record holder, to celebrate, he plans to donate 50 of the toys to the Royal Manchester Childrens Hospital.

A second article of the same person (23 May 2018).
https://stories.swns.com/news/dad-has-worlds-largest-collection-of-transformers-memorabilia-98455/

DELTAprime
26th September 2018, 07:47 PM
There are people on this web site that own more than 1900 Transformers.

MV75
26th September 2018, 08:15 PM
1900? lol

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=582478&postcount=129

griffin
26th September 2018, 08:30 PM
Don't forget... this is the largest collection, that someone has bothered to register with Guinness. As with all Guinness records, they are only the ones they recognise because someone has approached them... they don't go looking for them, or determining if there is a bigger/better record out there. They probably can't afford the time or money to do that.
The mere fact that there is/was no record listed for "Largest Transformers Collection", leaves it to collectors out there to be the first... no matter how small their collection is.
We may know of people with bigger collections, but until those people register their collection with Guinness, they aren't "Guinness World Record" collections.
So please be mindful of that before anyone thinks about making fun of Guinness, or the current Guinness record holder... and congratulate each record holder for going through the process of applying to Guinness and having their collection verified by Guinness.

(I've been thinking about submitting my collection for about a year now... not because I think it is the world's largest, but because I want it to smoke out collections that are bigger than mine, to find out just how big a collection can possibly be.)

Paulbot
Hasnt this come up before?

Thurmus
Griffin has almost 1900 TFs down the back of his couch next to the loose change.

griffin
26th September 2018, 08:34 PM

I think the last one was someone in Central or South America with about 1300 TFs applying to Guinness for the record, because no one had applied to claim it yet.

I don't know how that one turned out, but I hope he wasn't bullied out of it (and out of the hobby) by all of the fanboys who made fun of his efforts.

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th September 2018, 09:22 PM
because I want it to smoke out collections that are bigger than mine, to find out just how big a collection can possibly be.)
I like this plan a lot!

Galvatran
27th September 2018, 08:14 AM
I posted the article on the board as a good news story. Good to see people not ridiculing him for it or comparing to other collection sizes. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I'm so pumped there are TF fans out there who are putting themselves up for scrutiny by GWR. Such a proud moment for the guy if it does make it.

Griffin has almost 1900 TFs down the back of his couch next to the loose change.
I read couch as crotch. That explains why the ladies always ask him "Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" :D

Sutton
27th September 2018, 09:07 AM

Literally laughed out loud and spat coffee :D

VERT
27th September 2018, 09:15 AM
Only 1900 that's funny.

GoktimusPrime
27th September 2018, 12:41 PM
Only 1900 that's funny.
Agreed.

And for those who think that it's mean to laugh at this guy, I'd like to point out that attempting to claim a record without doing a modicum of even online research is, IMO, part of a culture of anti-intellectualism at a very basic level (since we are just talking about toys). At a much more serious level, the idea of claiming facts as true without checking or seeking evidence is what has led to things like climate change denial and the anti-vaccination movement. Flath-Earth believers are silly and pretty harmless, and yeah, so is believing that 1900 Transformers being the largest collection in the world is harmless -- but the core culture of anti-intellectualism can be inherently dangerous. It just goes against the idea that we should be rational and critical thinkers in a post-Enlightenment (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Enlightenment) age.

Galvatran
27th September 2018, 02:18 PM
There are no ifs, buts or maybe. This is fact. Louis Georgiou is putting himself up to claim the Guinness World Record for the biggest collection of Transformers. Anyone who can show via online research or other means, that this is not the biggest collection of Transformers according to GWR needs to put up or shut up. If people take exception to GWR then that's a totally different aspect.

Kudos to him for doing so.

MV75
27th September 2018, 04:37 PM
I think the last one was someone in Central or South America with about 1300 TFs applying to Guinness for the record, because no one had applied to claim it yet.

I don't know how that one turned out, but I hope he wasn't bullied out of it (and out of the hobby) by all of the fanboys who made fun of his efforts.

What efforts? To claim (BRAG) to be the BEST IN THE WORLD without doing even a modicum of research in the actual community to see there are far larger collections that are usually the actual humble ones and not the geek-trender types?

Being shown a greater truth and having a bit of a laugh about his claim isn't on the bully scale.

Raider
27th September 2018, 04:47 PM
I don't have an issue with him claiming it. It is really a matter for someone with a bigger collection to prove it if they want to overthrow him, even if it is obvious it is not the biggest.

Come on Griffin, go for it!

Galvatran
27th September 2018, 05:42 PM
I think you are referring to this?
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=595928&postcount=9

I believe its the USA.

DELTAprime
27th September 2018, 08:58 PM
The only collector I know outside of Griff that might have a legit claim to the actual record is Seibertron. He's made collecting Transformers his primary means of income to the point buying every toy that comes out is just a business expense.

I just wish he still did galleries of everything he collects. But that is time consuming and probably not that profitable compared to what the Youtube reviewers get with their videos.

Bladestorm
27th September 2018, 10:11 PM
(I've been thinking about submitting my collection for about a year now... not because I think it is the world's largest, but because I want it to smoke out collections that are bigger than mine, to find out just how big a collection can possibly be.)

Do eeeeeet! :D

griffin
27th September 2018, 11:03 PM
I'd like to point out that attempting to claim a record without doing a modicum of even online research is, IMO, part of a culture of anti-intellectualism at a very basic level (since we are just talking about toys).

What efforts? To claim (BRAG) to be the BEST IN THE WORLD without doing even a modicum of research in the actual community to see there are far larger collections that are usually the actual humble ones and not the geek-trender types?

I don't understand why people are attacking the only people in the world wanting to get the ball rolling on the category of biggest Transformers Collection, so that it might be the catalyst for others to submit theirs.
They aren't claiming that theirs is the biggest collection in the world, they are just obtaining the record at Guinness that no one else has yet claimed.

These people submitting their collections would indeed know that there are larger ones out there, but it's not their job to submit someone else's collection for evaluation by Guinness... and it isn't the job of Guinness to see if there is a bigger or better collection out there.
Besides, I know that a lot of people with collections as big as mine, don't make it public or boast about it, so don't care about a official record or title (and many other fans resent the pissing contest of fans boasting about how big their collection is - which is why I don't like doing it). So it leaves it up to people with smaller collections to fill the void if no one else applies for it.

If no one else with a bigger collection wants to go through the hassle of having Guinness evaluate and verify their collection, to award them with the *current* record, then why should someone with a smaller collection who does go through all that, be chastised? Surely the people with bigger collections that make fun of their efforts are the ones who should be criticised for not putting in the effort of having their collection officially recognised.
Many of Guinness's records aren't absolute, as definitely the best/biggest/most in the world... it's only what that company are able to verify, relying on the general public to submit/claim the record. And most people probably don't care about, or value, the concept of Guinness Records to waste time applying for an official record.

(They are also just a business, so aren't doing these records for the benefit of humanity... it's to sell books and make money.)

Galvatran
28th September 2018, 08:43 AM
^ I've given up trying to explain the basis of this thread.

Ralph Wiggum
28th September 2018, 10:11 AM
Its funny how the tone of this thread is replicated in just about every other discussion about who has the biggest collection (just do a google search).

I have no doubt there are bigger collections out there, but given the reactions Im not surprised they keep them private.

Galvatran
28th September 2018, 10:22 AM
*snip* but because I want it to smoke out collections that are bigger than mine, to find out just how big a collection can possibly be.)
Have you tried lighting up some weed to smoke them out? Chances are you might inadvertently smoke out the wrong crew. *Snoop Dogg*

(kids, don't try this at home. Playing with fire is hazardous)

FatalityPitt
28th September 2018, 11:44 AM
Its funny how the tone of this thread is replicated in just about every other discussion about who has the biggest collection (just do a google search).

I have no doubt there are bigger collections out there, but given the reactions Im not surprised they keep them private.

OR maybe Transformer fans generally stop counting their collections after a while, because there's no point, and it's just a pain in the butt having to keep track of everything we have.

Thing about Transformers (to me at least), is that it's not a competition about who collects the most toys. That's not what Transformers is about. People buy Transformers because they like the look and feel of the toys, their engineering, and the characters they represent. I don't think I've ever met a Transformers fan who set out to have the biggest collection by buying a trolley full of bad toys they don't like, just for the sake of growing the collection.

I think most fans buy Transformers because they want to experience something fun and different, not just for the sake of having. That's why toy reviews exist. If Transformers was about achieving quantity over quality, we'd be indiscriminately buying more bad toys without questioning their quality.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Raider
28th September 2018, 12:00 PM
OR maybe Transformer fans generally stop counting their collections after a while, because there's no point, and it's just a pain in the butt having to keep track of everything we have.

This is where I currently sit haha. I am probably at a best guess around the ~2000 mark but that would include third party bots and I am not advocating that they would count towards any official record.

I wish I had time to properly catalogue and count my entire collection but it is just not feasible at the moment. Although if you have already done all the hard work Griffin why not go for it.

BigTransformerTrev
28th September 2018, 04:14 PM

I wish I had time to properly catalogue and count my entire collection but it is just not feasible at the moment.

Same. I stopped cataloging at the 2000 mark about 2 years ago. I'm prob at about 2500 now. But going back and cataloging all those ones I've missed - it seems such an onerous task I can never quite bring myself to start :o

Raider
28th September 2018, 05:45 PM
Same. I stopped cataloging at the 2000 mark about 2 years ago. I'm prob at about 2500 now. But going back and cataloging all those ones I've missed - it seems such an onerous task I can never quite bring myself to start :o

I've been thinking about it and by the time I get my collection out of storage my boys will be older and if they are still interested in Transformers then it might be something fun we can do together. Otherwise for the time being, I just try and maintain a spreadsheet on purchases to track where I have ordered from and what is still to come in (there are a lot of 'pending' markings with the store 'PC' next to it on my list :p )

shockNwave
28th September 2018, 07:30 PM
I'm so impressed with Griffin's video of his 6000 TFs collection that I'd love to see that Seibertron guy do one of his own.:eek:

Jazzman
28th September 2018, 10:00 PM
I'm so impressed with Griffin's video of his 6000 TFs collection that I'd love to see that Seibertron guy do one of his own.:eek:

Where might one find said video???

GoktimusPrime
29th September 2018, 12:03 AM
Where might one find said video???
This thread (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=25830)

Jazzman
29th September 2018, 01:29 AM
This thread (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=25830)

Wow, impressive! :D

Galvatran
1st October 2018, 05:19 PM
https://stories.swns.com/news/dad-has-worlds-largest-collection-of-transformers-memorabilia-98455/

Same person (Louis Georgoui), another article (23 May 2018).

Dad has worlds largest collection of Transformers memorabilia

Meet the dad who bought a Transformers figure for his sons third birthday and now has the biggest collection in the WORLD.

Louis Georgoui, 43, started his collection in 2011 when he bought a Dinobot figurine for his son Lucas, now ten.

When his son unwrapped the gift, childhood memories of the cartoon robot series came flooding back and Louis started buying all the memorabilia he could find.

Seven years on hes got the worlds largest collection of Transformers memorabilia a 40,000 treasure trove of 2,037 comics, figures and collectors items.

He owns a fifth of the worlds entire collectable Transformers memorabilia.

The collection is so big hes moved it out of his six-bed semi-detached home and into a meeting room at his office.

The sci-fi fanatic, of Altrincham, south Manchester, said: It all started when my son was three-years-old and I was looking for a Christmas present.

I bought him a figure from the Transformer animated series, a Dinobot, a Grimlock, a Starscream.

When he unwrapped them it was nostalgic as I was into the Transformers as a child.

Before I knew it I was buying more and more.

Theres around 10,000 collectors items worldwide so I have a fair chunk.

My favourite figure funnily enough isnt actually an official Transformers figure but from a third party company which makes high quality versions of them. The one I like is Leonidas based on the original Lio Convoy figure.

A low point was missing out on a 8,000 eBay bid on an unreleased prototype of Generation 2 Menasor.

My best bargain was accidental. I bought a 30 Japanese Breakdown figure from the Transformers Prime series which is now selling for $500 (370).

I did actually get my son into it. He has his own collection but theyre more toys than collectables.

Growing up he pestered me into getting some out of the box to play with but I always had to tell him no.

His collection is said to be so overwhelming housewife Faye, 42, fears she would be left with the daunting task of looking after the collection if Louis died.

His most expensive item is a 500 Lio Prime figure.

Louis, head of a digital company, also owns a bunch of rare Japanese figurines including Star Sabre and Victory Leo.

He has a Megatron figure which transforms into a Sega Megadrive and an Optimus Prime figure which turns into a Sony Playstation.

He is now pinning his hopes on becoming the Guinness World Record holder for Transformers memorabilia.

He added: My wife has wanted them out for ages.

In arguments she would threaten to shove them all in a black sack and send them off to the skip.

She even admitted that her biggest fear would be for me to suddenly die and for her to be left to deal with the collection.

I shifted them all out of my house six months ago and delivered them to the office.

They are now all out on display in a meeting room.

All the staff have had a look and when have meetings it becomes like a museum.

My goal is to get into to the book of Guinness World Records then Ill stop collecting.

I was then thinking about selling them off but my brother-in-law who is lives in Hong Kong said the collection would go down well over there.

So I might look into shipping them over and going on tour over there.

Ill keep a few of my favourites and then I will probably look to selling them off.

Last year AJ Ard from Eastvale, California made a bid for the worlds largest collection of Transformers items with 1,313 items.

(there are some ripper quotes in the article :D)

Galvatran
1st October 2018, 05:33 PM
... And not so impressive. :p (article may have been doing the rounds a few years back)

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/389743/Husband-owns-record-size-Transformers-collection-to-annoyance-of-wife

Husband persuades wife to live with world's largest Transformers collection
THIS man claims to have the largest collection of Transformers robot toys in the world and is proud enough to display them all over his house although his long-suffering wife has reservations.

Ex-soldier Zhang Wei, 38, said he became fascinated with the franchise ever since the original cartoon series first debuted and he reckons his collection of 380 toys means he has collected all of the official Hasbro robots ever made.

Wei, who lives together with his wife Zhang Tsai, 33, in the Chinese port city of Qingdao, has managed to persuade her to let him put the collection on display in specially built shelving around their house.

What's more, she has also supported him in allowing him to spend more than 20,000 since he started collecting in earnest in 2002 by buying up Transformers robots off the internet.

He said: "I had a few of them years ago and was fascinated by the way they switched between being a robot and then into something else like car or plane, and that interest really developed after I left work and had more time on my hands.

"I started to speak to other collectors and really build up my own set, and I'm really lucky that my wife supports me."

Tsai said: "I don't know about support, but certainly when it comes to hobbies, there are a lot worse things that he could do to pass the time.

When the shelves first went up and I saw them all round the living room I thought it was a bit creepy - but you get used to them, even if it's a pain when it comes to dusting."

He is not alone in China in having a fascination for the Transformers toys. Blockbuster Transformers: Age of Extinction is now the highest-grossing film ever in China, notching up more than prior record-holder Avatar and well above the film's US totals.

Jetfire in the sky
1st October 2018, 06:26 PM
Look here's the real full legit styles of TJ McL.. oh I mean JITS.

Griffin has the biggest confirmed TF collection at this time and has most likely held that title for a long time.

My $1.50 to this ridiculous argument.

griffin
2nd October 2018, 12:31 PM

Same person (Louis Georgoui), another article (23 May 2018).

This is where the journalist is one worth bagging out here for not doing their homework.
For not spending just 2 minutes on google to search for Transformers collections (to come across sites like TFW and Seibertron that have sections for fans to post up their collection photos), and for not looking into the assumption that there is only "10,000 collector items worldwide" which they have included non-toy items in that figure.
First off, there are now over 10,000 Transformers toys that have been released by Hasbro and TakaraTomy (some are identical out of packaging, but a collector of sealed toys can claim one from each company if the packaging is different). That's a fact that can be verified through some lengthy counting on tfwiki or a quicker count through Soundwave's Oblivion (which lists both).
Licensed merchandise (which includes comics and "collector items" ) is beyond estimation, and would be impossible to count, because every year, every country, releases/approves of hundreds of licensed items.

Its' a nice article for the non-fans out there to go "wow" over, but for us dedicated collectors, it is full of errors and exaggerations by the journalist.

Jazzman
2nd October 2018, 12:43 PM
This is where the journalist is one worth bagging out here for not doing their homework.
For not spending just 2 minutes on google to search for Transformers collections (to come across sites like TFW and Seibertron that have sections for fans to post up their collection photos), and for not looking into the assumption that there is only "10,000 collector items worldwide" which they have included non-toy items in that figure.
First off, there are now over 10,000 Transformers toys that have been released by Hasbro and TakaraTomy (some are identical out of packaging, but a collector of sealed toys can claim one from each company if the packaging is different). That's a fact that can be verified through some lengthy counting on tfwiki or a quicker count through Soundwave's Oblivion (which lists both).
Licensed merchandise (which includes comics and "collector items" ) is beyond estimation, and would be impossible to count, because every year, every country, releases/approves of hundreds of licensed items.

Its' a nice article for the non-fans out there to go "wow" over, but for us dedicated collectors, it is full of errors and exaggerations by the journalist.

That's just the sad current state of journalism - facts are given second priority to being first with the news... or worse still - shock sensationalism designed to provoke a forced response! :rolleyes:

Galvatran
2nd October 2018, 01:07 PM

Full or errors? What do you mean? In the other article dated in 2014 with the Chinese collector and I quote:

he reckons his collection of 380 toys means he has collected all of the official Hasbro robots ever made.
So what the hell have you been collecting Griffin? :p

Autocon
2nd October 2018, 09:21 PM
I havnt read the article, but are they saying biggest tf figure collection or biggest tf memorbilia collection?

Galvatran
2nd October 2018, 11:13 PM
I havnt read the article, but are they saying biggest tf figure collection or biggest tf memorbilia collection?
Make the effort man... worth the read. Its spelt out in the articles title.

Have I told you youre like a long lost brother. I prefer pics over text in magazines. Did so in high school & still do today.

Oh no, opening up a can of worms with the dedicated collectors tag. Id rather use the term true fan myself.

griffin
2nd January 2019, 12:50 AM
They aren't claiming that theirs is the biggest collection in the world, they are just obtaining the record at Guinness that no one else has yet claimed.

I finally had a look at the process for applying for a Guinness World Record, and it is a lot of work... it's no wonder no one has tried to claim the largest Transformers collection record yet.

These are the requirements...

Please make sure you follow ALL these rules:

a. The assessment of the collection must take place in a public place or in a venue open to public inspection.
b. The collection must be assessed and counted by two independent witnesses at least one of whom must be a representative from a relevant, established and recognised society specializing in the subject area of the collection submitted.
c. The record is based on the total number of different individual items in the collection.
d. Duplicates will not be counted.
e. All items must be, or have been, commercially available. Homemade items will not be counted towards the final total.
f. If items are usually paired (i.e. earrings or cufflinks) the number of matching pairs must be given.
g. A concise, clear and audited inventory must be submitted for all claims either including thumbnail pictures of all the items, or labelled with photo names, so as to allow the log book to be cross referenced with the images.
h. Claims must be submitted by the owner with a brief history of when (year) and why the collection began. It is also of interest to know where the collection is housed and if there is a particular favourite, giving reasons why.

Please make sure you supply the following evidence:

One cover letter explaining the context of the record attempt. Please indicate date, time and exact location of the record attempt. Also please provide full details of the individual including name, age, nationality and background. Explain why you decided to attempt this record, and a brief history of when and why the collection began. It is also of interest to know where the collection if housed and if there is a particular favourite, giving reasons why.
Two witness statements confirming the exact number of items in the collection, that the guidelines above have been adhered to and that all the items in the collection are relevant to the subject matter. The witnesses must list the points that they have verified during the attempt.
A concise, clear and audited inventory must be submitted for all claims. This may come in the form of a spreadsheet or log book. The total number of items in the collection must be clearly stated on this inventory, which must be counter-signed by the two witnesses.
Photographic evidence of all the items of the collection, individually or in groups, should provide evidence to confirm the size of the display.
Video evidence of the person(s) counting the collection showing the objects being counted, to confirm the final number of the collection. Video evidence must include the whole counting process.
Media articles (newspaper, online, TV or radio) should be submitted as part of the evidence requirements. This is not compulsory evidence.

Many of Guinness's records aren't absolute, as definitely the best/biggest/most in the world... it's only what that company are able to verify, relying on the general public to submit/claim the record. And most people probably don't care about, or value, the concept of Guinness Records to waste time applying for an official record.

One of the requirements on the application page is that they will only accept personal records that can be beaten... so even though the initial application for Transformers collection is quite low, Guinness would be preferring a low entry first, so that they can make more mileage out of several breakings of that record over a period of time.
The Guinness site also notes that there is no current record holder for "Largest Transformers Memorabilia Collection", but they are currently processing a claim for 2,111 items. Considering they note that their processing time is 12-15 weeks, the person in the first post of this news topic was probably just a matter of days away from being officially awarded with the Guinness Record.
(they have a priority processing option of 5 days, if you pay about AU$1000 - you'd definitely want to get the record with that sort of expense)

I made an enquiry, but as I had noted in the quote above, I want it to be a catalyst for the true largest collection(s) to be revealed to the world... as I will never claim to have the worlds largest. A Guinness Record would be a nice thing to say I once had (if I get processed), but I would happily surrender the title if I can see how big a privately owned Transformers collection can really be.

GoktimusPrime
2nd January 2019, 01:02 AM
I honestly think that you should attempt the record, griffin. Even if others have a larger collection, you are one of few collectors with a mega-sized collection who has bothered to put in the effort of cataloging all of your toys and keeping track of your collection as it's grown. And I wholeheartedly agree with your motivations; it would set a good benchmark for someone else to beat. Yes, records are made to be broken, but I personally don't want to see the record start at such a low point that half of us here could easily break it. :p :rolleyes: And seeing records being broken can be quite exciting, as many of us witness during sporting events etc. - but it's only exciting because it's so unimaginably and unobtainably high for most people.

And you may very well inspire others to reach or break your record. :)

P.S.: Interesting to see that multiples don't count. Way back when we were discussing and voting on the initial rules for the Universal Counting Method, I was one of the few who voted in favour of multiples not counting. But the majority voted in favour of counting them, and of course the UCM is based on majority consensus.

Raider
2nd January 2019, 04:27 AM
Go for it mate. If nothing else it would be a great record for insurance purposes :p

G1Optimal
2nd January 2019, 11:53 AM
Would not suprise me if some of these collections could have third party robots to be true to the record there should be an official Hasbro-TakaraTomy category.

Jetfire in the sky
2nd January 2019, 02:11 PM
Would not suprise me if some of these collections could have third party robots to be true to the record there should be an official Hasbro-TakaraTomy category.

Agreed.

GoktimusPrime
2nd January 2019, 09:28 PM
I think that's why rule B exists...
"b. The collection must be assessed and counted by two independent witnesses at least one of whom must be a representative from a relevant, established and recognised society specialising in the subject area of the collection submitted."
So at least one of the witnesses needs to be a person with expert knowledge on Transformers. e.g. another reliable/trusted collector

Galvatran
2nd January 2019, 11:23 PM
I wish members on this board weren't so modest about their extremely massive collection count to the extent of being apologist. Nothing wrong with talking up what has been a labour of love over many years of collecting.

CHILENO20
5th January 2019, 11:53 AM
I wish members on this board weren't so modest about their extremely massive collection count to the extent of being apologist. Nothing wrong with talking up what has been a labour of love over many years of collecting.

Guess they just don't want to brag about it.

BigTransformerTrev
5th January 2019, 04:34 PM
a. The assessment of the collection must take place in a public place or in a venue open to public inspection.
b. The collection must be assessed and counted by two independent witnesses at least one of whom must be a representative from a relevant, established and recognised society specializing in the subject area of the collection submitted.
c. The record is based on the total number of different individual items in the collection.
d. Duplicates will not be counted.
e. All items must be, or have been, commercially available. Homemade items will not be counted towards the final total.
f. If items are usually paired (i.e. earrings or cufflinks) the number of matching pairs must be given.
g. A concise, clear and audited inventory must be submitted for all claims either including thumbnail pictures of all the items, or labelled with photo names, so as to allow the log book to be cross referenced with the images.
h. Claims must be submitted by the owner with a brief history of when (year) and why the collection began. It is also of interest to know where the collection is housed and if there is a particular favourite, giving reasons why.

See, the first rule is kinda ridiculous if you are talking a collection of thousands, unless they counted you opening your home up to the public. Otherwise it could take weeks to pack up all your figures, find a place to display them thats secure, set them up, have the record done, pack them up, transport them home and then set them up again.

Ironically it's almost feasible for me. All my collection is still boxed up from the move 18 months ago, I'm on school holidays so I have a bit of time on my hands and Im sure the local high school would let me use their gym.

But what would be the point? I know that Griffin has nearly 3 times as many as I do, I'd feel like a total fraud going for the record because I'd know it wouldn't rightly be mine.

Sinnertwin
5th January 2019, 07:42 PM
I'd do it if I had a spare 1k to kick around.
Why not? It'd be a glorious feeling to have your name listed by Guiness as having the largest TF collection recorded by them.

griffin
6th January 2019, 12:17 AM
I'd do it if I had a spare 1k to kick around.
Why not? It'd be a glorious feeling to have your name listed by Guiness as having the largest TF collection recorded by them.

That's one of the reasons I'd like to have a crack at it - not to allege that I have the largest collection in the world, but to have the "Guinness Record", which would be a distinction that I would emphasise to others if I did end up getting it.
And I'd also be hoping that someone else with a bigger collection takes the title off me fairly quickly too, as I wouldn't be wanting non-fans thinking that my collection is as big as it can be... and I don't want to be a target of the haters who would rightly claim that I don't have the world's largest collection.
For me, the real bragging rights would be after I loose the record, as I'd be more comfortable saying that I was once a Guinness Record holder, which would be just as much of a talking point as being a current Record holder.

(there's no guarantee that I'd be able to get the record either as there are so many conditions... so don't let it stop you if you wanted a crack at it as well)

GoktimusPrime
6th January 2019, 02:32 AM
See, the first rule is kinda ridiculous if you are talking a collection of thousands, unless they counted you opening your home up to the public. Otherwise it could take weeks to pack up all your figures, find a place to display them thats secure, set them up, have the record done, pack them up, transport them home and then set them up again.
I'm assuming that it's the former -- your home would be, on the day of the record setting, become like an Open Home for members of the public to come and witness the counting and official declaration.

Ironically it's almost feasible for me. All my collection is still boxed up from the move 18 months ago, I'm on school holidays so I have a bit of time on my hands and Im sure the local high school would let me use their gym.

But what would be the point? I know that Griffin has nearly 3 times as many as I do, I'd feel like a total fraud going for the record because I'd know it wouldn't rightly be mine.
^This so much. I think it's a matter of intellectual honesty that only a person with the largest known collection should attempt this record, and among all of us here, griffin has the largest known collection. And that's not a bad thing to claim -- you can honestly say that it is the largest known counted collection. If the record is later broken, that's fine, but none of us knew about that person's collection number until they broke griffin's record.

griffin's been quote open about his collection for years with videos and photos available. And I agree with what griffin said that if he sets the record then it will hopefully draw out people with larger collections. Basically this is a good chance for griffin to set a benchmark. It's similar to say records set in sports, and especially during the days of the first records-keeping. Records are meant to be broken, but they cannot be broken if they're never set in the first place! Take Usain Bolt for example. He had to break someone else's record to become the fastest man in the world, and there may be a day when someone else will break his incredible record. But this doesn't diminish Bolt's record, it just means that he was the fastest man at the time. And this is why the Guinness Book of Records is published annually. griffin may set the record for say the largest known Transformers collection in 2019 or 2020, and if someone breaks it later, that's fine - they will become the reigning champion for a future year. But the fact remains that griffin's was the largest known collection at the time that the record was set. There may be someone out there who's faster than Usain Bolt, but Bolt is the fastest recorded sprinter in the world.

And at 7000 odd toys it's not unreasonable for us to assume that he may have the world's largest collection -- or at very least, be one of the largest. It's not like say attempting the record with only a thousand figures. Another thing you could add is that it's the largest collection of Transformers in the world where every figure is on display. There may be collectors with even larger collections... in storage. :p ;) Man, those kinds of collections would be even harder to count. For griffin the counters can walk around the room and count off each shelf. But for someone with toys in boxes, they're going to need space to carefully unpack and count each individual toy. Then that sucker's gonna have fun repacking them back into storage! :eek:

Ozgardian
6th January 2019, 12:46 PM
Don't believe the 1st rule, people have records where reps entered their home. It's more about scale.

snaketales
6th January 2019, 02:06 PM

Dang! :D

spiderken17
6th January 2019, 02:24 PM
I say do it Grif, if for no other reason than so everyone on here will then be able to say "we know that guy" and we get massive nerd cred.

Do it for us :)

Galvatran
6th January 2019, 02:34 PM

Yeah, they don't count vastly improved modifications.

M-bot
6th January 2019, 05:17 PM

Go for the record of a collection of the most number of custom Transformer toys. Why not? No idea what that record would look like but youve got to be up there.:D

Tha_Phantom
7th January 2019, 08:04 AM
Please do it Griffin! I'm sick of seeing viral articles about "the biggest Transformer collection" shared every 2 or 3 months and it's 1000 bots.

KELPIE
9th January 2019, 08:55 AM
Speaking of, I coincidentally saw this for the first time today:

"Worlds Largest Optimus Prime Collection" (https://www.facebook.com/WorldsLargestOptimusPrimeCollection/videos/735101536861823/)

If you're not logged in or don't have a Facebook account, they'll pop up some annoying banner in front of the video asking you to log in/sign up. Not sure if there's a way around that, sorry.

Bladestorm
12th January 2019, 09:48 AM

"Worlds Largest Optimus Prime Collection" (https://www.facebook.com/WorldsLargestOptimusPrimeCollection/videos/735101536861823/)

If you're not logged in or don't have a Facebook account, they'll pop up some annoying banner in front of the video asking you to log in/sign up. Not sure if there's a way around that, sorry.

I know this guy.
He collects EVERYTHING, including KO, 3P, toothbrush holders, insane little oddities... everything!

Batfan007
12th January 2019, 02:43 PM
I'm assuming that it's the former -- your home would be, on the day of the record setting, become like an Open Home for members of the public to come and witness the counting and official declaration.

^This so much. I think it's a matter of intellectual honesty that only a person with the largest known collection should attempt this record, and among all of us here, griffin has the largest known collection. And that's not a bad thing to claim -- you can honestly say that it is the largest known counted collection. If the record is later broken, that's fine, but none of us knew about that person's collection number until they broke griffin's record.

griffin's been quote open about his collection for years with videos and photos available. And I agree with what griffin said that if he sets the record then it will hopefully draw out people with larger collections. Basically this is a good chance for griffin to set a benchmark. It's similar to say records set in sports, and especially during the days of the first records-keeping. Records are meant to be broken, but they cannot be broken if they're never set in the first place! Take Usain Bolt for example. He had to break someone else's record to become the fastest man in the world, and there may be a day when someone else will break his incredible record. But this doesn't diminish Bolt's record, it just means that he was the fastest man at the time. And this is why the Guinness Book of Records is published annually. griffin may set the record for say the largest known Transformers collection in 2019 or 2020, and if someone breaks it later, that's fine - they will become the reigning champion for a future year. But the fact remains that griffin's was the largest known collection at the time that the record was set. There may be someone out there who's faster than Usain Bolt, but Bolt is the fastest recorded sprinter in the world.

And at 7000 odd toys it's not unreasonable for us to assume that he may have the world's largest collection -- or at very least, be one of the largest. It's not like say attempting the record with only a thousand figures. Another thing you could add is that it's the largest collection of Transformers in the world where every figure is on display. There may be collectors with even larger collections... in storage. :p ;) Man, those kinds of collections would be even harder to count. For griffin the counters can walk around the room and count off each shelf. But for someone with toys in boxes, they're going to need space to carefully unpack and count each individual toy. Then that sucker's gonna have fun repacking them back into storage! :eek:

Hmmmm,

Letting folks into a person's home would be a good way of ensuring that by the time the countings done a few things would likely go missing.

tinyJazz
12th January 2019, 03:36 PM

Now I have seen it for the first time too haha.:) I love how dedicated this guy is. Reminds me of Hollywood Hoists Bumblebee collection. (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/hollywood-hoists-bumblebee-collection.1109791/)

I know this guy.
He collects EVERYTHING, including KO, 3P, toothbrush holders, insane little oddities... everything!

I do this lol. Its normal for character specific collectors right?

KELPIE
18th January 2019, 12:22 PM
I do this lol. Its normal for character specific collectors right?

It's just a shame some of us have chosen characters where merch with them is limited... if anything :(

UltraMarginal
18th January 2019, 02:36 PM
I say do it Grif, if for no other reason than so everyone on here will then be able to say "we know that guy" and we get massive nerd cred.

Do it for us :)

can't disagree with this!

griffin
30th January 2019, 10:47 PM
The Guinness website (you have to have an account to see it) has updated, with an actual record holder now being noted for largest Transformers memorabilia collection of .... 1000 items. (no name noted, just the number, but it means someone out there is now officially the Guinness Record holder, and will always be able to boast that they were the first Record holder)

And they are still reviewing an application that has 2,111 items.
My application is now four weeks old, and it noted that it could be up to 15 weeks until they start the official review... IF the application meets certain criteria. (which is why the 2,111 application is still their current highest being reviewed - my figure wouldn't be noted until after the 12-15 week processing period is up.

So by around the middle of April I will know if they will start reviewing my claim for the title, or if they have rejected it.

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2019, 11:43 PM
The Guinness website (you have to have an account to see it) has updated, with an actual record holder now being noted for largest Transformers memorabilia collection of .... 1000 items. (no name noted, just the number, but it means someone out there is now officially the Guinness Record holder, and will always be able to boast that they were the first Record holder)
Is there a link for this? I can't find it on their site.

UltraMarginal
31st January 2019, 08:33 AM

And they are still reviewing an application that has 2,111 items.
My application is now four weeks old, and it noted that it could be up to 15 weeks until they start the official review... IF the application meets certain criteria. (which is why the 2,111 application is still their current highest being reviewed - my figure wouldn't be noted until after the 12-15 week processing period is up.

So by around the middle of April I will know if they will start reviewing my claim for the title, or if they have rejected it.

So you're going ahead, that's awesome! I guess I'll retract my application now:p

UltraMarginal
31st January 2019, 03:48 PM
Get it out of storage first hey. :D

Well, yes. :o

but I know for a fact that Griffins Collection is at least 3 times, probably more, bigger than my collection.

KELPIE
5th February 2019, 01:51 PM

Glad to hear you've submitted.

What grounds do they have for rejection?

Also, did you have to submit a collection count and does it need to match their count, or do they keep counting till everything is done, say you add more pieces in the mean time or miscounted?

GoktimusPrime
5th February 2019, 05:56 PM
I guess I'll retract my application now:p
LOL :D

griffin
5th February 2019, 06:59 PM
Glad to hear you've submitted.

What grounds do they have for rejection?

Also, did you have to submit a collection count and does it need to match their count, or do they keep counting till everything is done, say you add more pieces in the mean time or miscounted?

Grounds for rejection could be anything, as there are a lot of conditions.
The count I submitted was approximate because the record title is "memorabilia" not "toys", which was why those previous two claimants were noting their comics, etc.
They certainly have a good business model, even if they don't sell any books, as they offer express evaluations for a hefty fee... and the fees are huge.
It can take up to 30 weeks to get a Guinness Record for free (13-15 weeks for the application to be processed, and 13-15 weeks for it to be evaluated/verified), but if you want all that done in about one week, it costs about US$1400 (about AU$2,000).
And if you want to create a new record title, you have to pay for that too, and none of the fees are refundable if they are rejected.
Plus, all of those public events that involve Guinness participation, cost a couple grand as well to have them officially attend and judge a record attempt.
So it will take about 6 months for me to do it for free (that's about July if I'm successful)... as I don't see a need to pay out 2 grand just to be able to boast about it a little earlier.

KELPIE
6th February 2019, 01:38 PM
Interesting.

Do they still send someone out to verify the collection if you go the free rout?

I would have thought they'd need to do that for everything.

I'm now thinking what new record I could make up that would legitimately hold... for a week :P

griffin
7th February 2019, 11:00 PM
Do they still send someone out to verify the collection if you go the free rout?

I would say so... as they would have to declare costs before you sign up, and the "free" option didn't have anything noted (that I could see).
I'm just not sure how they afford to verify records in other countries, as flying around the world would be expensive, and paying someone to verify records in other countries would still require money... and the expense of recruiting people as officials in other countries.

KELPIE
8th February 2019, 08:31 AM
Agreed.

And you'd assume they couldn't just take people at their word for claims made?

griffin
5th March 2019, 07:56 PM
An unusual development.
At the beginning of the year when I applied, Guinness didn't have anyone officially holding the record (it must have still been in the processing stage), but according to a post on the first applicant's (https://www.pe.com/2017/06/05/how-much-does-this-eastvale-man-love-transformers-he-counts-1313-ways/) facebook page, the certificate he has from Guinness says March 3rd 2017 (https://www.facebook.com/recordmania.toymuseum/).
If he got the record two years ago, why just post about it now... and if the date on the certificate is backdated to the application date, surely the verification process didn't take two years (the website only says a maximum of 6 months).

And as bad as some people are for knocking him over having a smaller collection than a lot of other collectors (the recognised 1,3,13 figure includes non-toy items as well), he has been a bit of douche when posting about having the record. Maybe it's just a reaction to all of the people having a go at him, who were too lazy to apply for official recognition themselves.
The funny thing is, even if someone else comes along and has their larger collection officially verified by Guinness, this person will still be able to boast about having a Guinness Record collection (I don't think you have to hand in or destroy your certificate), and might not even acknowledge on his facebook page that he no longer has the title (since his facebook page actually has Guinness World Record in the title... which probably isn't allowed if they aren't part of the business).

KELPIE
6th March 2019, 09:16 AM
Yeah, though if he ever loses the record, he can keep bragging all he wants but when he's going to bed at night, he'll know it's a lie.

As for anyone else, surely a google search or a Guinness website lookup will show them the truth?

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2019, 09:36 AM
Saw the guy's post. Not impressed and I'm not going to give him the satisfaction of "reacting" or commenting. Nothin' like being a big fish in a small pond I suppose.

jazzcomp
6th March 2019, 10:59 AM
Being the first to apply doesn't make it true. It's just a delusion in his mind that 1300+ is the "largest" collection.

Sinnertwin
6th March 2019, 11:20 AM
It's the largest recorded by Guinness
Are there bigger collections out there?
Absolutely.
Have they been verified to date?
No.

The 2 aren't exclusively mutual.

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2019, 01:26 PM
Being the first to apply doesn't make it true. It's just a delusion in his mind that 1300+ is the "largest" collection.
Heh, true. Kinda like when White people claim to have "discovered" stuff that other people had already discovered long, long ago... but they didn't submit an official document. :D :p

griffin
6th March 2019, 09:39 PM

Just echoing Sinnertwin a bit... a Guinness Record is like AFA grading - they are companies that verify something as official (to their standards). They don't go out finding things to officially verify, people have to bring things to them... and it is not their job to see if others out there have more. If someone does have more, how else can they prove it if they don't apply to have it officially verified by a recognised company like Guinness.

The issue is if a person with a Guinness Record arrogantly (or ignorantly) believes that there aren't any others that are bigger or better.

GoktimusPrime
7th March 2019, 09:38 AM
The issue is if a person with a Guinness Record arrogantly (or ignorantly) believes that there aren't any others that are bigger or better.
This is the thing that I find quite objectionable with this guy -- it is the arrogance. In his post he admits that he KNOWS full well that there are people with larger collections but he's gone ahead and done it anyway, which I think is a form of "intellectual dishonesty" (for lack of a better term). This might've been understandable in the pre-internet age. In 1985 I thought that I had a massive collection of 50 figures - the 2nd largest that I knew of; there was another kid in my school who had more. But that other kid sold off his collection in 1987 so after that I had the largest collection known to me. Until I discovered the online fandom in 1997.

Sinnertwin
7th March 2019, 10:09 AM
I'm lol'ing at the reply to the first comment from the article Griffin linked.
It's not always worth the trouble flexing. There's always someone bigger, badder & better.

jazzcomp
7th March 2019, 10:32 AM
It's the largest recorded by Guinness
Are there bigger collections out there? Absolutely.
Have they been verified to date? No. The 2 aren't exclusively mutual.

I certainly agree with the technicality of the claim. :D However, personally you know that you are a fraud. Don't know what he gains from it. If you want to have a Guiness World Record for yourself, go ahead. If you want a Record that is untrue, it's just blatant dishonesty :(:confused: :eek:

It's just like writing a technical/scientific finding. You have to actually research that there's no previous paper that already has done it. Otherwise, your paper will be disproven anyway.

If I claim to be the tallest person (with a guiness world record), a picture of someone else that's taller automatically disproves that whether or not he has a guiness world record. It's not like he won a competition like the world's strongest man and have a guiness world record for it. :)

KELPIE
8th March 2019, 11:58 AM
I'm lol'ing at the reply to the first comment from the article Griffin linked.
It's not always worth the trouble flexing. There's always someone bigger, badder & better.

I didn't bother clicking on the link before... now you made me.

Previously I mentioned that I'm okay with non-toys being included in the count.

Now, having seen the count, I retract that statement.

I was referring to things like statues, Mighty Mugs, plush, random memorabilia.... I did not intend for the count to include 278 trading cards and 249 comic books. What's next? Do I count my 50 odd posters and lithographs?

Maybe count it per set?

Action series cards, yes = 1
Panini stickers, yes = 1
TFCCG, yes = 1
Marvel run, yes = 1

I dunno... whole new can of worms that I shouldn't have mentioned... I just couldn't stop my self.

Do Guinness consider doubles when counting?

griffin
8th March 2019, 01:04 PM
The record title is for merchandise, not toys... and even though Transformers started as a toyline (which is actually merchandise, like how you'd refer to toys of a movie), I think we all have non-toy merchandise in our collections. The number of toys may be a comparative standard used by many collectors of a Brand that started as a toyline, but a "Transformers collection" doesn't mean just toys.
That said, I wouldn't be too impressed if someone bought up thousands of cheap unwanted trading cards or comics and applied for a new record.
(You can always apply to Guinness to create a new record title for Transformers toy collection, but it is expensive

Sinnertwin
8th March 2019, 01:41 PM
That would be pretty funny, well, for me anyway, if someone rocked up to Guiness with 50 sets of the 80's trading cards and said I've got nearly 10, 000 pieces of memorabilia.

Raider
8th March 2019, 04:54 PM
That would be pretty funny, well, for me anyway, if someone rocked up to Guiness with 50 sets of the 80's trading cards and said I've got nearly 10, 000 pieces of memorabilia.

All those DOTM Trading Cards are finally good for something! Guinness World Record here I come :cool:

BigTransformerTrev
8th March 2019, 06:20 PM
Well if it includes misc memerobilia then with my trading cards, dvds, video games, board games, T-shirts, hoodies, underwear, coffee mugs, drink bottles, lunch boxes, stationary, colouring books, novels, comics etc etc etc then my count just went up from approximately 2500 to 4000. Guinness look out! :D

philby
8th March 2019, 07:07 PM
All those DOTM Trading Cards are finally good for something! Guinness World Record here I come :cool:

Lol
I better track down the bunch my little nephew pinched!

GoktimusPrime
8th March 2019, 08:44 PM
Now you know what an absolute can of worms finding a common agreed upon way of counting Transformers stuff is! At the end of the day there is no such thing as a definitive right or wrong way to count, but I think what's important is that, for the purposes of comparison, a common method be used.

So yeah, if Guinness has counted everything including merchandise, apparel, games, cards, books, DVDs etc. - then anyone else attempting this record should have their collection counted the same way (in which case I think that it's safe to say that griffin would still trump this clown's collection :p). The method of counting doesn't matter as much as just using the same way of counting.

Raider
8th March 2019, 10:05 PM
It's just wrong to me the concept that a card = a bot for counting. I mean I'd easily have 2000 DOTM cards. That shouldn't count.

Edit: sorry just remembered items need to be different. Still that is a few hundred cards.

Soundwarp
9th March 2019, 05:08 PM

They were all stuck away in plastic tubs until I (yep Im claiming it was me) made him get shelves and display them!

theshape
9th March 2019, 08:57 PM
It's such a shame to see such a focus on a collections number instead of the quality of its contents 😐

Sinnertwin
9th March 2019, 09:40 PM
It's such a shame to see such a focus on a collections number instead of the quality of its contents 😐

Quality is subjective though, numbers aren't & that what Guinness has always been about -the most, the fastest, the biggest etc

GoktimusPrime
9th March 2019, 10:58 PM
Did the Guinness people count this guy's unlicensed third party stuff or only legit stuff? IMO they should only be counting official stuff.

Tranceblade
26th April 2023, 10:49 PM
Dredging this topic up because this tweet reminded me of it

https://twitter.com/ArtofNP/status/1651052548151980033

Tha_Phantom
27th April 2023, 10:44 AM

Whilst I've always been in the quality-over-quantity camp, I can still appreciate different ways other people collect.
Someone has to be "that guy" who has the biggest collection and I wouldn't mind knowing who they are.