PDA

View Full Version : Apologising to MISB, SW & Pikachu collectors ahead of time... :D

Pulse
3rd November 2008, 07:41 PM
I found this through Tfans & I knew I had to share... :D

*shakes heads & lol* :D (http://www.cracked.com/article_16752_7-most-impressive-depressing-geek-collections.html)

blackie
3rd November 2008, 07:46 PM
man if there wasnt a water shortage i would want those supersoakers so bad right now :P

GoktimusPrime
3rd November 2008, 08:19 PM
...that's a stupid list that seems to written from a perspective that puts down these collectors. We don't know these people from a bar of soap yet it's very pre-judgemental and damning of them and their collections.

And yeah, everyone knew about that sealed TF collection considering how notorious the eBay auctions (I remember her listing that collection on sale at least twice because nobody was bidding on it!). That's not really a story of a collector and his/her collection, but of a deceased collector's wife and her new boyfriend's controversial attempt to sell off her ex-husband's collection.

It's a stupid list that sounds like it was written by some high-school jock eager to go smash some nerds. (-_-)

It's no surprise that some people spend retarded amounts of money on their hobbies, and who are we to judge?
Well obviously YOU (the author) are the one to judge since that is precisely what this entire forsaken article does!! This is such a devious back-handed and insincere "pre-apology"/"disclaimer." It's so effing hypocritical too. He says "who are we to judge" and then proceeds to freakin' judge these people in a belittling and ridiculing manner. Procreate and go away!!

But then there are the obsessive collectors who, due to some compulsion and/or desire to take their minds off how their lives turned out, spend their lives collecting shit that is both pointless and, worse, no fun.
Maybe no fun for YOU (the author)... but maybe it's a lot of fun for them. I personally admit that I find MISP collecting to be a terminally dull way of collecting toys and I would never want to do it - but if someone else does it then who cares?! I can't stand buying toys and not playing with them -- there's something about sealed collecting that I just don't get... but at the end of the day we all have the right to choose how we want to collect. If other people want to collect sealed toys then go for it.

So long as their hobby isn't harmful (like say drugs, alcohol etc.) then who gives a toss about how these people spend their money and free time?? I find it stupid how people like this author probably wouldn't bat an eyelid if someone were to blow most of their disposable income on booze every week for years on end... yet spending money on toys is somehow a greater evil? Procreate and go away!

Every Super Soaker ever made, over two hundred of them, make this man the envy of all the water-pistol collectors in the world, a group who meet every morning in his bathroom mirror because he's the only one.
And the author knows this how? Has he actually met every person on the planet to determine that none of them are Super Soaker collectors?? Bugger off!

Sure, it appears to be a horrific waste of time and effort.
And writing these degrading articles isn't?

And while we know the whole "collect 'em all" aspect is the point of Pokemon, Belle kind of missed it: they're all the same one.
I'm not a Pikachu fan, but looking at those pictures I can already tell that they're not the same toy. And again, so what if she wants all those Pikachu (there is no plural - perhaps the author should've done some research into that) then why should the rest of us care?

She also owns an official Pikachu car and turns up at childrens' events, which we guess works if you're a girl. If a dude with a house full of toys dressed up as Pokemon and turned up at childrens' birthday parties with his "special car," we're thinking the cops would be tackling his ass within seconds.
...again, who cares? There are plenty of people who spend ridiculous amounts of money making illegal (as well as environmentally hazardous and dangerous) modifications to their cars.

And owning a Pikachu car is nothing compared to owning a Pikachu Boeing 747-400 (and one 767-300) jet!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/35/115168392_5b72d4f5e5_m.jpg (http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/flights/pokemonjet/design.html)

RE: Dice. Dice are dirt cheap. Who cares? That's like having a really huge bottle cap or stamp collection. :/

Brett Martin has collected over ten thousand pieces of cheap tie-in merchandise, despite being (at the time of interview) unemployed.
...sounds familiar...

During the Christies auction, one anonymous bidder spent five thousand dollars on a Barbie in a zebra-skin bikini - and you can bet if we spent the price of two flights around the world on hundred grams of polyurethane, we'd want to remain anonymous too.
...what about someone who paid several hundreds of dollars to buy a sandwich that was supposedly half-eaten by Britney Spears, or all those people who paid P.T. Barnum to see his "room of mystery." That's not really relevant to collectors...

The collection lives in the bedroom used by him and his girlfriend, which is both an impressive level of understanding in a modern couple and possible proof that she doesn't exist. If she does, it can't be easy for him. Keeping your end up in bed under the judging gaze of a dozen Hutts can't be easy. Unless he's thinking of that Gargan.
This epitomises what I was saying about this article at the start... it's nothing but an attempt to belittle these people.

This author spends his time bullying people he doesn't know on the internet and then has the audacity to tell other people to get a life?? He needs to take his own advice.

loophole
3rd November 2008, 08:42 PM
mmm...MISB goodness...i have always wanted to get each TF one in box and one loose :D that would be great way to start all that TF stuff looked brand new. yum yum yum!

TheDirtyDigger
3rd November 2008, 08:49 PM
Some of his jokes were funny. I thought he was holding back and wasn't too harsh at all though.

Borgeman
3rd November 2008, 09:17 PM
someone took that article a bit too seriously :rolleyes:

dw gok, its only meant to be an article for humour purposes, dont take it so seriously

George

STL
3rd November 2008, 11:44 PM
That's gold!

(and I don't think we were supposed to take it seriously either)

Bartrim
4th November 2008, 09:01 AM
Some of his jokes were very well written. A good light hearted read.

i_amtrunks
4th November 2008, 09:21 AM
Geez that was alot of yellow. Damn electric rat.

Article was not the best on that site, but worth it just for the Water pistol collection, I'd just love to see all the useless side gimmicks that have been tacked onto the Super Soakers over the years!

GoktimusPrime
4th November 2008, 10:54 PM
dw gok, its only meant to be an article for humour purposes, dont take it so seriously
It's not that I don't appreciate the... I suppose intended humour. I just think that it can be achieved without needing to humiliate/mock individuals.

Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw) <--it's a parody of nerds but it doesn't rely on bringing shame to anyone in particular