PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Trading Cards in this month's kids magazines

griffin
20th December 2018, 10:57 PM
Tipped off by Krayt the other day that there are some kids magazines with Transformers Trading cards in them, I had a look and found them at Woolworths today.
They have randomly packed Character cards (the bigger ones), and the two magazines are priced at $6 and $7... making them the same price as the booster packs ($6 at BigW, $7 at Kmart). So if you are trying to complete your set of Character cards, and don't need any more battle cards, this could end up being cheaper than buying heaps of random packs, or buying from a secondary source online.
The character cards I saw, and the ones in the photos Krayt sent me, were all Common character cards... but you never know, they may have been given all of the cards by Hasbro/WOTC, and the rarer ones are also available... if you can find them.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2018/122001.jpg
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2018/122002.jpg

i_amtrunks
21st December 2018, 06:25 AM
Students in Sydney public schools may have also gotten them with the end of of year issue of a kids magazine. They were very popular for a few days especiallysince one side was all shiny, but then when they realised they couldn’t store them with the Pokémon or yugioh cards they seemed to go off them very fast, ended up with many in our recycle bins at the end of year clean up.

Can’t fault hasbro for trying to get cards into as many hands as possible.

griffin
21st December 2018, 10:35 AM
That could have been a goldmine... raiding the bin and selling them online. You'd probably get at least $2-3 each, even for the common ones because you'd have to pay at least $6 for them in store and risk getting duplicates.

KELPIE
21st December 2018, 11:13 AM
Students in Sydney public schools may have also gotten them with the end of of year issue of a kids magazine. They were very popular for a few days especiallysince one side was all shiny, but then when they realised they couldn’t store them with the Pokémon or yugioh cards they seemed to go off them very fast, ended up with many in our recycle bins at the end of year clean up.

Can’t fault hasbro for trying to get cards into as many hands as possible.

Gee that's a great promotion.

I still think it was stupid of Hasbro not to make them standard card sizes. Also, while I haven't opened my Metroplex set, I still think that size is ridiculous. I wonder if they thought bigger is better?

Anyway, I have heaps wrapped under the tree at home for friends kids, we'll see if they are able to usurp the yugioh craze in their households at least.

BigTransformerTrev
21st December 2018, 12:56 PM
These are in Big W in Mudgee -grabbed a Swoop last week

BigTransformerTrev
24th December 2018, 10:12 PM
I still think it was stupid of Hasbro not to make them standard card sizes. Also, while I haven't opened my Metroplex set, I still think that size is ridiculous. I wonder if they thought bigger is better?

They made the Metroplex card huge because you have to hide the 3 sidekick cards underneath (http://www.bigangrytrev.com/review-metroplex-pack-transformers-tcg/) to bring out when you flip it.

GoktimusPrime
26th December 2018, 11:05 PM
Picked this up today. There are two interviews with collectors. One with a kid who has 67 Transformers, and the other with some handsome dork with over 2500 figures (don't know where they got that number from; you all know that I'm pretty open with my collection count - it's right there in my signature!)
https://i.ibb.co/LdndBH5/kzone.jpg
And hats off to that kid with 67 figures - that is an impressive sized collection for a kid. :) Hopefully he'll continue to be a fan for life.

tron07
27th December 2018, 11:32 AM
what a nice magazine... :)

what are the rare ones? Might go have a look.

Sharky
27th December 2018, 01:53 PM
what a nice magazine... :)

what are the rare ones? Might go have a look.

On the bottom of the card where the numbering is

CT = Common
UT = Uncommon
RT = Rare
SRT = Super Rare

But so far I have only seen commons

Goky Nice Work too!!!!!

KELPIE
28th December 2018, 12:06 PM
They made the Metroplex card huge because you have to hide the 3 sidekick cards underneath (http://www.bigangrytrev.com/review-metroplex-pack-transformers-tcg/) to bring out when you flip it.

I haven't opened my sets yet, however even armed with that information can you still not hide them under a normal size card... you know, a stack of 4 cards?

griffin
28th December 2018, 05:43 PM

CT = Common
UT = Uncommon
RT = Rare
SRT = Super Rare

Goky Nice Work too!!!!!

I've been looking in quite a few stores, and the cards are all CT (common) cards. I'd be surprised if there were any rarer cards being given out, but then again, if they are rarer, it might take a lot more stores for me to see one.

Actually, looking at Hasbro's Booster card listing (https://transformers.hasbro.com/en-us/tradingcardgame/booster), I've ended up finding all of the Common cards now, as I found Starscream and Slug today...

Autobot Hound // Long-Range Scout
Barrage // Merciless Insecticon
Bombshell // Insecticon Mind-Controller
Bumblebee // Courageous Scout
Dinobot Slug // Hot-Headed Warrior
Dinobot Swoop // Fearsome Flyer
Flamewar // Veteran Decepticon
Megatron // Decepticon Leader
Optimus Prime // Freedom Fighter
Ramjet // Sky Smasher
Sergeant Kup // Veteran Sergeant
Starscream // Scheming Second-in-Command

I bought a copy of the K-Zone magazine for the article... and picked one with Ramjet, as I only have one Decepticon card so far.

hYpNoS
29th December 2018, 01:12 AM
Ended up getting a few, a nice surprise, I can't condone slacking off at work just to get these I can't argue with these freebies :D

While I'm wrapped I got a megatron they're all commons and way to big to store with my other cards, what was the point of making them so comically oversized again?

tron07
3rd January 2019, 03:33 PM

CT = Common
UT = Uncommon
RT = Rare
SRT = Super Rare

Goky Nice Work too!!!!!

Cheers :) :)