PDA

View Full Version : TFs-Ghostbusters crossover toy Ectotron

Paulbot
16th February 2019, 02:55 AM
In another surprising reveal on HasbroPulse.com (https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-transformers-collaborative-ghostbusters-mash-up-ecto-1-ectotron-figure)

Transformers Generations Collaborative: Ghostbusters Mash-Up, Ecto-1 Ectotron Figure

Transformers robots have always been More the Meets the Eye, but now, through the Transformers Collaborative, fans can experience these larger than life characters as they team-up, mash-up, and meet up with other characters, teams, and people who share this same special quality. It is a world of constant change, where things are not what they seem. It is the world of the Transformers…and the Ghostbusters…a world of heroic Autobots and evil Decepticons…and ghosts!

Discover how these worlds collide in this Transformers-Ghostbusters mash-up pack! The iconic Ecto-1 Cadillac from the 1984 Ghostbusters movie is now a Transformers robot -- a converting Paranormal Investigator, called Ectotron! This Ectotron figure comes with his own Proton Pack accessory and a Slimer accessory, and converts between Ecto-1 and robot modes in 22 steps.

Includes: Ectotron figure, Slimer figure, 2 accessories, and instructions.

Features:

Commemorate 35 years of both Transformers and Ghostbusters with 1 awesome figure!
Convert Ecto-1 Cadillac mode to Ectotron robot mode in 22 steps.
Features classic Tech Specs showing the capabilities of Ectotron, including strength, speed, and ghostbustabilty.
Includes Proton Pack accessory
Figure scale: 7 inches

Due to ship in July and going for $40 USD

https://i.imgur.com/K9MvChxl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XReHSnKl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Z9WdSIZl.jpg

BigTransformerTrev
16th February 2019, 07:24 AM
Dammit! Why can’t you do heart emojis on this site!

That’s a pretty reasonable price too

Omega Metro
16th February 2019, 10:22 AM
My heart says I should burn it. My mind says I should love it.:)

DELTAprime
16th February 2019, 11:37 AM
Not sure if I'll buy it, but it's really freaking cool.

Sinnertwin
16th February 2019, 03:37 PM
https://i.imgur.com/wjGAjTw.jpg

griffin
16th February 2019, 05:04 PM
A press release update (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/15/transformers-ghostbusters-mash-up-ecto-1-ectotron-figure-revealed-382977) - it looks to be a Gamespot exclusive in America and Canada... so it might be difficult to get one cheap here if we don't get it released at retail here as well (and even if we do, it is likely to be expensive).
And it is not surprising to hear that IDW will do a crossover comic as well, (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/15/ectrotron-comic-series-from-idw-debuts-june-2019-382997) of five issues, to be released at the time of the toy's release, starting in June.

HASBRO REVEALS TRANSFORMERS-GHOSTBUSTERS ECTO-1
COLLABORATIVE FIGURE AND IDW COMIC SERIES
‘More than Meets the Eye’ Collides with ‘Who You Gonna Call?’
For Transformers & Ghostbusters™ 35th Anniversaries
PAWTUCKET, RI – Feb. 15, 2019 – Autobots, Decepticons and ghosts?! Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS) and Sony Pictures Consumer Products today revealed the first-ever TRANSFORMERS-Ghostbusters Collaborative figure, the ECTO-1 ECTOTRON, available at GameStop summer of 2019 and for pre-order starting February 15 at HasbroPulse.com, GameStop and EB Games Canada. This year marks the 35th anniversary of both the TRANSFORMERS brand & the original Ghostbusters film.
When fans of the iconic Ecto-1 from the 1984 Ghostbusters movie look a little closer at this nostalgic interpretation of the car, they will be treated with a new “robot in disguise” named ECTOTRON, a converting Paranormal Investigator. The figure is packed in a G1-inspired box featuring classic tech specs and comes with its own proton pack and Slimer accessory, and converts between two modes in 22 steps – a seven inch Ecto-1 vehicle and a TRANSFORMERS robot.
TRANSFORMERS robots have always been more than meets the eye, but now, through the TRANSFORMERS Collaborative, fans can experience these larger than life characters as they team-up, mash-up and meet up with other characters, teams and people. It is a world of constant change where things are not what they seem. A combined world of TRANSFORMERS and Ghostbusters where heroic Autobots, evil Decepticons and now ghosts can be discovered!
The Ghostbusters have a new, out of this world teammate and fans will be able to meet the all new TRANSFORMERS character ECTOTRON in his epic origin story by IDW Publishing. A brand new 5-part series from creative team Erik Burnham & Dan Schoening begins in June 2019.
The ECTO-1 ECTOTRON figure is available at GameStop starting Summer of 2019 and for pre-order starting February 15 at HasbroPulse.com, GameStop and EB Games Canada. And be on the lookout for other possible TRANSFORMERS and Ghostbusters items. When these two iconic franchises come together – anything is possible!

The last two lines suggests there will be more items released during this crossover anniversary.... which could be interesting.

Paulbot
16th February 2019, 05:26 PM
The original blurb certainly suggests crossovers with other franchises too

Transformers robots have always been More the Meets the Eye, but now, through the Transformers Collaborative, fans can experience these larger than life characters as they team-up, mash-up, and meet up with other characters, teams, and people who share this same special quality.

griffin
16th February 2019, 05:38 PM
Yeah I noticed that too... the "Transformers Collaborative" sounds like something ongoing, or at least gives this a marketing label that may or may not have more sold to retailers under it. (Movie Trilogy toyline ... dead after one toy)

Thurmus
16th February 2019, 05:50 PM
The vehicle mode looks incredible.

BigTransformerTrev
16th February 2019, 05:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/wjGAjTw.jpg

Oh man! Looking like that now I’m gonna need one to keep MISB

Galvatran
16th February 2019, 05:54 PM
TechSpec Ghostbustability. :D

Tha_Phantom
16th February 2019, 06:22 PM
It's a retool of CW Hot Spot/Onslaught yeah?

If that is the case then I'm assuming a combiner is in the works. Which could mean various 80s franchises like BTTF, Mask, etc combining into one. :D

Metallikato
16th February 2019, 06:27 PM
Oh man! Looking like that now I’m gonna need one to keep MISB

Agreed. I’ve never been a MISB collector, nor have I even bought any Transformer in several years. But this thing looks a winner to have posed and displayed in box.

Robzy
16th February 2019, 07:16 PM
Love it!!

BigTransformerTrev
16th February 2019, 07:25 PM

If that is the case then I'm assuming a combiner is in the works. Which could mean various 80s franchises like BTTF, Mask, etc combining into one. :D

Ecto-1 will have Kit, the Delorian, the Batmobile and the A-Team van for limbs. Herbie will become the chest :D

Tha_Phantom
16th February 2019, 07:32 PM
Ecto-1 will have Kit, the Delorian, the Batmobile and the A-Team van for limbs. Herbie will become the chest :D

If they build it, we will come. :p

griffin
16th February 2019, 09:42 PM
I mistakenly thought it's name was Ectotron, but looking on the box, that's its "allegiance", and the bot's actual name is Ecto-1.
That seems a little lazy or lame.... I know it is the number plate, but I think it should have a better, or original name, as it doesn't sound very good when you try to roleplay it in conversation (someone calling for him, or being referred to).

philby
16th February 2019, 10:12 PM
That looks pretty amazing. And I am 99% sure that this was hintes at or rumoured in another post somewhere a while ago.

Sinnertwin
16th February 2019, 10:15 PM
Granted it's no Eleanor or The General Lee as far as awesome names go, but it think Ecto 1's fine.

People were raging about Blitzwing in the Bumblebee movie, can you imagine the response if they chose to call it anything but Ecto 1? I'd say licensing rights also played a part in the matter too.
Ectotron is eh. An alliance of 1? Yeah...

Paulbot
16th February 2019, 11:19 PM
Ecto-1 as a name is not too dissimilar to Elita-1...

griffin
17th February 2019, 12:26 AM
That looks pretty amazing. And I am 99% sure that this was hintes at or rumoured in another post somewhere a while ago.

That would be this rumour (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=25832) back in September of a Ghostbusters MP10 Optimus. If it was this toy, the rumour was a little off.

Autocon
17th February 2019, 03:23 AM
Very tempted. Very. :D :O

BigTransformerTrev
17th February 2019, 08:08 AM
I mistakenly thought it's name was Ectotron, but looking on the box, that's its "allegiance", and the bot's actual name is Ecto-1.
That seems a little lazy or lame.... I know it is the number plate, but I think it should have a better, or original name, as it doesn't sound very good when you try to roleplay it in conversation (someone calling for him, or being referred to).

Granted it's no Eleanor or The General Lee as far as awesome names go, but it think Ecto 1's fine.

People were raging about Blitzwing in the Bumblebee movie, can you imagine the response if they chose to call it anything but Ecto 1? I'd say licensing rights also played a part in the matter too.
Ectotron is eh. An alliance of 1? Yeah...

Ecto-1 was always the vehicles name, it wasn’t just on the licence plate. In the cartoon they would always say ‘We need to get to Ecto-1 and check it out’ , not ‘lets get in the car’.

All the Ghostbusters vehicles have been named Ecto. From Ecto-2 the helicopter they often used in the animated series right through to Ecto-8 the boat they used in the video game and comic.

It wouldn’t make any sense for this toy to be given a different name, and could piss off a lot of purist fans

bowspearer
17th February 2019, 08:03 PM
What possessed Hasbro to go down this route I wonder. I imagine the haters will look at this and thinks it looks ghastly (and I wonder if this post will have a ghost of a chance).

Jazzman
17th February 2019, 08:19 PM
This is SOOOO bought!!! :D:D:D

Sinnertwin
18th February 2019, 02:47 PM
RK $50 USD
Shipping June 1st
Limit 1 per customer.

FruitBuyer
18th February 2019, 03:39 PM
What possessed Hasbro to go down this route I wonder. I imagine the haters will look at this and thinks it looks ghastly (and I wonder if this post will have a ghost of a chance).

Booooo

UltraMarginal
18th February 2019, 06:37 PM

I'm not seeing it?

I think Ecto-1 is the perfect name, I was a bit disappointed when I first thought it was called Ectotron.

It's retailing for about US$40 in the US, I guess if it comes out here, we'll be looking at between $60 ad $70. I really hope it does, they could sell hundreds of thousands of these.

bowspearer
18th February 2019, 11:51 PM
I'm not seeing it?

Look at the chest panel, the leg joints and if you use a tiny bit of imagination with the front halves of the car being on newly added joints, the shoulders.

Galvatran
18th February 2019, 11:54 PM
I’m not seeing it also.

Raider
19th February 2019, 12:05 AM
May not be a popular thought but I hope it has combiner ports and is part of a new combiner with a delorean, kitt, a-team van and Mavericks f-14! I want some '80s combiner nostalgia goodness :p

Kranix
19th February 2019, 09:43 AM
This thing is awesome! They got it all so right! I only collect Masterpiece TF but I want this!

BigTransformerTrev
19th February 2019, 10:25 AM
May not be a popular thought but I hope it has combiner ports and is part of a new combiner with a delorean, kitt, a-team van and Mavericks f-14! I want some '80s combiner nostalgia goodness :p

Not that unpopular...

:D

KELPIE
19th February 2019, 10:31 AM
So after all the back and forth discussion you guys had...

... I think his name is actually Ectotron.

Maybe Hasbro forgot how G1 packaging worked?

https://i.imgur.com/9ceZwWE.png

Names on his chest, just like the others.

BigTransformerTrev
19th February 2019, 10:38 AM
So after all the back and forth discussion you guys had...

... I think his name is actually Ectotron.

Names on his chest, just like the others.

That's the thing that confused me. I looked at the packaging of this toy and then looked at G1 packaging. On the front where their primary function was usually written was 'Electron' and where their name was usually written was 'Ecto-1'. Yet on the tech-spec on the back where the name was usually written was 'Electron'.

So he must transform from 'Ecto-1 the vehicle' to 'Electron the robot'

UltraMarginal
19th February 2019, 11:27 AM
Look at the chest panel, the leg joints and if you use a tiny bit of imagination with the front halves of the car being on newly added joints, the shoulders.

I’m not seeing it also.

I've had another look, the legs do look like the hot spot mould. And the placement of the wheels on the arms.

closer inspection looks like half the car folds up on his back or just is his back. this is starting to feel a bit like a simple re-shell. I'm less excited.

Sinnertwin
19th February 2019, 11:35 AM
The simpleish transformation and shared engineering may have had something to do with the amount of cash Hasbro threw at licensing.

Lord_Zed
19th February 2019, 06:58 PM
Not sure if ut's re-tool but it it does look like the sort of toy that will look amazing in packaging, but be less impressive when opened.

I kinda want it, but not sure, at least the execution is better than those old Star Wars TF's.

GoktimusPrime
19th February 2019, 07:53 PM
For me, this is a toy and concept that I would love for maybe a few months or maybe a year, but after that the novelty would wear off and the toy would be doomed to just be relegated as little more than a dust gathering display piece on my shelf rather than a toy that I would continue to enjoy. I have a personal purchasing philosophy of trying to focus on buying toys that I will still love tomorrow, not just toys that I love today. I can totally understand the appeal of this, but for me it's just a novelty - a novelty that I will likely grow tired of. It's a crossover that I personally never wished for before and never asked for.

But hey, for those of you who've been pining for a Transformers/Ghostbusters crossover for decades this is your dream come true. :) Enjoy!

griffin
19th February 2019, 08:28 PM
And after being convinced by the fine people here that his name should be Ecto-1... people work out that it could actually be Ectotron. sigh...

I really like the way the car mode looks like a model, with no obvious seams or gaps. The fact that it transforms and didn't end up ruining the alt mode, is really impressive.
It's the sort of toy I'd be keen to have two... if I had the spare money to buy duplicates.

Galvatran
19th February 2019, 08:52 PM
*snip* at least the execution is better than those old Star Wars TF's.
True but car alt mode Transformers are dime a dozen.

BigTransformerTrev
19th February 2019, 08:56 PM
And after being convinced by the fine people here that his name should be Ecto-1... people work out that it could actually be Ectotron. sigh...

Well, it should be. Not our fault we got confused if:

On the front where their primary function was usually written was 'Electron' and where their name was usually written was 'Ecto-1'. Yet on the tech-spec on the back where the name was usually written was 'Electron'.

Sinnertwin
19th February 2019, 09:37 PM
I had a thought Ectotron was a subgroup & imagined other movie cars as members, until I saw the comic image.

bowspearer
20th February 2019, 01:52 PM
this is starting to feel a bit like a simple re-shell.

Does that really matter if it does the job (which I'd argue it does)?

griffin
20th February 2019, 07:59 PM
And it is not surprising to hear that IDW will do a crossover comic as well, (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/15/ectrotron-comic-series-from-idw-debuts-june-2019-382997) of five issues, to be released at the time of the toy's release, starting in June.

An update to the comic announcement included (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/18/full-details-and-cover-previews-for-idws-ectotron-comic-series-383567) a couple of promo images, one of which Kelpie posted up here a few days ago, with what might include the ghost Starscream... which would be one obvious choice for the classic Ghostbusters to be chasing after... I just think if this story is set in the 1980s, Starscream wouldn't be dead yet (unless they are referring to his post-Beast Wars appearance, and he has been floating around for a couple million years).

https://i.imgur.com/9ceZwWE.png

When the Transformers pick up on a strange Cybertronian signal emanating from Earth, they travel to the planet only to discover that the threat waiting for them there is something that Venkman, Spengler, Stantz, and Zeddemore are perfectly suited to help them take on. The five-issue series will feature a variety of variant covers illustrated by Dan Schoening, Paulina Ganucheau, Nick Roche, and Alex Milne, and hits stores this June.

UltraMarginal
21st February 2019, 02:20 PM
Does that really matter if it does the job (which I'd argue it does)?

yes and no.
it still looks good, especially in vehicle mode, and thinking about what it would look like from the back, all that stuff on the roof would look like a proton pack but I always prioritise a new mould in my purchasing and a third (albeit modified ) version of something is harder for me to get excited about when considering the transformation.

Tha_Phantom
21st February 2019, 02:43 PM
yes and no.
it still looks good, especially in vehicle mode, and thinking about what it would look like from the back, all that stuff on the roof would look like a proton pack but I always prioritise a new mould in my purchasing and a third (albeit modified ) version of something is harder for me to get excited about when considering the transformation.

I agree, to a point.
If it does turn out to be a combiner, and if it also turns out there are other '80s limbs to follow, then all will be forgiven.

Sinnertwin
21st February 2019, 07:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/XdHcgts.jpg

From RK on FB

Kranix
21st February 2019, 07:12 PM
There's so much awesome in that picture! :D

Deonasis
22nd February 2019, 04:40 PM
... with what might include the ghost Starscream... which would be one obvious choice for the classic Ghostbusters to be chasing after... I just think if this story is set in the 1980s, Starscream wouldn't be dead yet (unless they are referring to his post-Beast Wars appearance, and he has been floating around for a couple million years).

Obviously, Ghost Starscream possessed DeLoreantron and went back to the 80s.

I agree, to a point.
If it does turn out to be a combiner, and if it also turns out there are other '80s limbs to follow, then all will be forgiven.

I think the combiner ports are gone :( Plus, unless all 5 toys were owned by the same company I don't see Ecto-1 being a voyager and other properties being cool with deluxe figures.

BigTransformerTrev
22nd February 2019, 06:25 PM
An update to the comic announcement included (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/18/full-details-and-cover-previews-for-idws-ectotron-comic-series-383567) a couple of promo images,

Gotta remember - Ghostbusters and Transformers have sorta been in the same comic series with IDWs Infestation. They just weren’t in any issues together but were in the same overall story arc. So this particular Crossover comic should not come as too much of a surprise

griffin
23rd February 2019, 09:17 PM
How's this for a cross-promotion (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/21/ectotron-on-abcs-the-goldbergs-383845)...
The TV show called The Goldbergs (centres on a boy growing up in the 1980s and features a lot of Transformers toys and elements), actually had the Ectotron toy in this week's episode in America, just days after it was first revealed through NY Toyfair.
Keeping in mind that that episode would have been filmed a few months ago, it's amazing to think that Hasbro had this toy included in an episode that was to be timed to this week... because if it had aired just a week earlier, it would have attracted some attention by fans wondering what it was.
Even more extraordinary is that this toy didn't leak during all that time since it was filmed a few months ago.
A copy of its 8 second appearance was tweeted out here (https://twitter.com/CybertronBeast/status/1098400812265435137).

griffin
28th February 2019, 05:26 PM
The battle scene promo image that was noted in a couple posts already is actually made up of the covers to the five issues of the comic, and four parts were tweeted out in almost full-size (mirrored here (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/23/idw-transformers-ghostbusters-ghosts-of-cybertron-issue-1-2-4-5-covers-384022))... the missing part is the middle image, which is keeping something secret. (hopefully it isn't just the robotic Gozer, as that was also released this week as a promo image in this interview with IDW staff (https://www.idwpublishing.com/behind-the-scenes-on-the-highly-anticipated-transformers-ghostbusters-crossover/)... but it would make sense if that is the main villain as it is a blending of both continuities - and I think Ghost Starscream is probably more of a red-herring distraction who may end up having to help the Transformers defeat Gozer)

KELPIE
5th March 2019, 08:34 AM
It looks like it might be Optimus Prime to me.

In the split pages you can see an energy axe poking out the side with a white prime arm and leg (this part is covered up in the black square with the combined image).

Maybe it's the Gostbusters Prime people were speculating about earlier on?

https://i.imgur.com/X80iury.png

Or I could be way off base...

Galvatran
5th March 2019, 11:42 AM
^ Or perhaps it's Ultra Magnus. :p

Finally found Megatron in that pic. It's a bit like Where's Wally.

griffin
7th March 2019, 08:26 PM
Another preview image has been tweeted out (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-idw-transformers-x-ghostbusters-teaser-page-megatron-meets-gozer/43047/) from the Ghostbusters-Transformers comic, with Megatron facing Gozer on Cybertron.

BigTransformerTrev
15th March 2019, 10:51 AM
Another preview image has been tweeted out (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-idw-transformers-x-ghostbusters-teaser-page-megatron-meets-gozer/43047/) from the Ghostbusters-Transformers comic, with Megatron facing Gozer on Cybertron.

More images have been released (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-idw-transformers-ghostbusters-previews-megatron-talks-with-gozer/43079/) - this is looking VERY cool! :D

griffin
19th April 2019, 03:10 PM
Some in-hand photos of the Ectotron toy (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/04/18/transformers-x-ghostbusters-ectotron-in-hand-images-387171), showing both modes and Slimer.

Also, some more preview pages of the exclusive comic (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/04/15/transformers-ghostbusters-1-preview-387043).

griffin
23rd May 2019, 08:10 PM
The Ghostbusters/TFs comic comes out next month, and one of the artists has released an unused cover image (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/05/22/idws-ghosts-of-cybertron-comic-series-unused-gallagher-cover-artwork-388620) (from instagram (https://www.instagram.com/p/BxsuJUMF0Ac/)), which looks really nice.

BigTransformerTrev
4th June 2019, 09:57 AM
A full preview has been released of the first issue of the crossover comic (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/idw-transformers-x-ghostbusters-1-preview-and-more-covers/43374/). Looks awesome! :D

Jazzman
5th June 2019, 12:52 PM
Mine arrived from RK yesterday... wow... just wow! :D:cool:

griffin
16th September 2019, 06:33 PM
The original concept art for Ectotron (from Ken Christiansen on facebook) that must have been pitched as a what-if (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/09/15/ectotron-initial-concept-art-by-ken-christiansen-396575), as the final toy is completely different. (I would have preferred the goggles to be on the forehead like in the concept art, as it looks like its actual face on the toy, because robot faces can be unusual)

Jazzman
17th September 2019, 06:35 PM
The original concept art for Ectotron (from Ken Christiansen on facebook) that must have been pitched as a what-if (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/09/15/ectotron-initial-concept-art-by-ken-christiansen-396575), as the final toy is completely different. (I would have preferred the goggles to be on the forehead like in the concept art, as it looks like its actual face on the toy, because robot faces can be unusual)

Hmmm... that Slimer in the final production pic is a very different colour green to mine... :confused:

UltraMarginal
23rd September 2019, 04:18 PM
Ectotron is back up on the Zing (https://www.zingpopculture.com.au/product/toys-gadgets/251489-ghostbusters-transformers-collective-ecto-1-ectotron-action-figure)Website if anyone is still looking

BigTransformerTrev
24th September 2019, 09:47 AM
Ectotron is back up on the Zing (https://www.zingpopculture.com.au/product/toys-gadgets/251489-ghostbusters-transformers-collective-ecto-1-ectotron-action-figure)Website if anyone is still looking

Thanks for the tip mate. I've got mine (http://www.bigangrytrev.com/toy-review-ectotron/) but a mate was spitting he missed out and was very admiring of mine when he visited a fortnight ago. So worded him up last night and now he is one happy camper :)

UltraMarginal
24th September 2019, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the tip mate. I've got mine (http://www.bigangrytrev.com/toy-review-ectotron/) but a mate was spitting he missed out and was very admiring of mine when he visited a fortnight ago. So worded him up last night and now he is one happy camper :)

Good to hear, I'm very tempted to get myself another. I rarely ever double up. but... It looks so good in the box