PDA

View Full Version : Rumour on multiple toy/cheat mode.

griffin
6th November 2008, 01:40 PM
Trying to keep the topic vague to not reveal anything on the main page.

Actual topic title - Rumour on Hasbro Cheating to get new combiner figure done.

Posted on tfw2005, word from an alledged reliable Asian source, is that a Devastator figure will have two toy releases - one as a combiner with non-transformable parts (like Energon Optimus), and the other is non-combinable individual figures.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-9/rumor-revenge-of-the-fallen-devastator-gestalt-toy-information-166151/
Basically, the team that combines into Devastator (if true), will be release as individual Deluxe toy that don't combine, and a box-set of non-convertable figures that piece together to form Devastator.
Yes it's cheating, but working from the animation models to design toys, it may not have been possible to engineer all the features a combiner needs and still make it look like the movie character (to make sure it sells).

And if you compare it to the Frenzy character toys, it was released in 4 different forms for 4 different reasons, because it couldn't do everything in the one toy. So maybe it is just a necessary evil just to get the toys out there in some way for the general public to support, and guarantee more movies and more toys.
The hard-core fans won't like it though, if this non-convertable combiner is true, and we'll never here the end of it.

Bartrim
6th November 2008, 01:42 PM
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Most people I know that have combiner teams have them displayed in their combined form anyway.

Golden Phoenix
6th November 2008, 01:55 PM
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Most people I know that have combiner teams have them displayed in their combined form anyway.

I think it is because people were expecting an gestalt. That would have been awesome. But based on the figures we go from the last movie, in terms of what they had to look like in 2 modes, throwing in a combined form, especially a gestalt, would probably look horrendous.
Oh well. We can all still dream

Pulse
6th November 2008, 01:57 PM
IF this is true, this just smacks of laziness :rolleyes:. I mean, it's 2008/09 and they still can't create 9 deluxes (if the rumours are to believed) that are both stand-alone transformable figures & can combine???

I would tell them to go back to the design drawing board, start again & come back with something good.

griffin
6th November 2008, 02:13 PM
But based on the figures we go from the last movie, in terms of what they had to look like in 2 modes, throwing in a combined form, especially a gestalt, would probably look horrendous.

That's certainly the point here. Which option is gonna upset the least amount of people and generate the most sales - a set of toys that can combine but look really bad in all modes because of the movie toys' complexity of design, or accurate looking toys to the movie designs that can't combine.

People who play with their toys a lot would prefer it to combine, but for those who have them stored away or on display most of the time, should be okay with a better looking figure that doesn't combine.

kup
6th November 2008, 02:56 PM
I also believe that its all about laziness. Many of the modern toy designs reflect that lazy design philosophy too.

Come on, we could do it back in the 80s, yes we had extra addon bits but toy technology has progressed enough for us to be able to incorporate those extra bits into the figure.

Hell! Liokaiser can do it!

i_amtrunks
6th November 2008, 04:15 PM
Oh the stench of laziness.

But from a marketing perspective it's brilliant.

GoktimusPrime
6th November 2008, 04:52 PM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... there's going to be a gestalt in the next movie?? I didn't know this! I'm trying to avoid any spoilers, so if this is true, could there please be a spoiler tag in the topic!!

Edit: I just clicked on that link. BBWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGH! :mad:
TIME FOR A KICK TO THE JANGLIES!!!
http://tubestroker.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/groin-kick.jpg

kup
6th November 2008, 06:02 PM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... there's going to be a gestalt in the next movie?? I didn't know this! I'm trying to avoid any spoilers, so if this is true, could there please be a spoiler tag in the topic!!

Edit: I just clicked on that link. BBWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGH! :mad:
TIME FOR A KICK TO THE JANGLIES!!!
http://tubestroker.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/groin-kick.jpg

Don't worry the link is not confirmed and has been floating on the net for months. It was originally a fan made pic which circulated the net which has been made into a kind of 'example' of what a movie gestalt would look like. The final Gestalt is likely to look nothing like it and it may not even be a gestalt at all as far as what we know to be a gestalt is concerned.

GoktimusPrime
6th November 2008, 06:05 PM
..but I didn't even know that Devastator was going to be in the next movie (he died!) - whether he'll be a gestalt or not. (T-T) I hope that this is 100% fan speculation. (>_>)

kup
6th November 2008, 06:46 PM
..but I didn't even know that Devastator was going to be in the next movie (he died!) - whether he'll be a gestalt or not. (T-T) I hope that this is 100% fan speculation. (>_>)

Good news! it seems that you know very little since what you have written is incorrect according to rumor. :)

The Gestalt is only being called Devastator by fans and technically we know very little of what it actually is.

MV75
6th November 2008, 07:23 PM
Meh, I've largely given up on new lines anyway. I don't see myself buying any movie 2 toys as it is. I shudder to think of the quality.

And yes, this is even lazier than leaving the shopping trolly in the car space NEXT to the return bay.

If I were a kid now, I'd be absolutly psyckd about a combiner, afterall, they had them over 20 years ago.

Pulse
6th November 2008, 07:24 PM
* Warning - Possible Spoiler in Link*

Hold on...

So is "this" (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=11054) a scrapped design or a Fan's Artwork?

kup
6th November 2008, 08:02 PM
* Warning - Possible Spoiler in Link*

Hold on...

So is "this" (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=11054) a scrapped design or a Fan's Artwork?

It begun life as a fan's unofficial art work. It is now being shown repeatedly next to every combiner rumor.

Hasbro would never translate a fan's work directly into the movie so the pic is just wishful thinking as originally it was widely received when the fan posted it.

griffin
7th November 2008, 04:13 AM
Hasbro do need to get some credit here, as the movie toys don't have the 18 month design period of normal TFs toys. They have to be rushed out in about half that time, and even still, some elements that are added to the animations in the movie, aren't in the toys (like Prime's sword). To have to rush out a huge number of toys, with exceptional sculpting and auto-morph features, bonus gimmicks like combining, just have to be sacrificed due to lack of time. It's not because of laziness.

Bartrim
7th November 2008, 08:53 AM

Well the section is called Prime's Transformers Movie NEWS. What did you expect when you clicked on a thread in here?

Pulse
7th November 2008, 12:21 PM
IF it's true, This (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-9/rumor-more-information-on-revenge-of-the-fallen-devastator-gestalt-toy-166161/) alleviates my concerns a little

Oh & is it just me or have the news of ROTF characters/figures been coming thick & fast lately? (maybe the steamtrain of mis-information is plowing ahead... :rolleyes:)

kup
7th November 2008, 01:36 PM
IF it's true, This (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-9/rumor-more-information-on-revenge-of-the-fallen-devastator-gestalt-toy-166161/) alleviates my concerns a little

Oh & is it just me or have the news of ROTF characters/figures been coming thick & fast lately? (maybe the steamtrain of mis-information is plowing ahead... :rolleyes:)

The news lately is mainly coming from Hasbro leaks. To Bay's credit he has done an excellent job in keepinng production details away from the public. By this time during the first movie's production all the robot desingns, alt modes and even the script which was 95% accurate had already leaked.

griffin
7th November 2008, 02:21 PM

Everything in the Movie news section is a spoiler if the movie is not yet out, so it is redundant having 'spoilers' on every post. We just have the rule of not having spoilers in topic titles, because they show up on the main table and topic listings. Everything else is hidden in the post itself.

FFN
8th November 2008, 02:52 PM
Hasbro do need to get some credit here, as the movie toys don't have the 18 month design period of normal TFs toys. They have to be rushed out in about half that time, and even still, some elements that are added to the animations in the movie, aren't in the toys (like Prime's sword). To have to rush out a huge number of toys, with exceptional sculpting and auto-morph features, bonus gimmicks like combining, just have to be sacrificed due to lack of time. It's not because of laziness. Don't bother man. Some people in this forum believe Hasbro bears them personal ill will.

TheDirtyDigger
8th November 2008, 03:37 PM
Don't bother man. Some people in this forum believe Hasbro bears them personal ill will.

Me for one.
A. Archer still hasn't forgiven me for that terrible joke that went wrong at our high school prom.
How were we to know he'd go crazy after we drenched his gf in pig's blood?

I'm sorry Aaron!!! God...how many times do you want me to say it???

dirge
8th November 2008, 06:47 PM
Hasbro do need to get some credit here, as the movie toys don't have the 18 month design period of normal TFs toys. They have to be rushed out in about half that time, and even still, some elements that are added to the animations in the movie, aren't in the toys (like Prime's sword). To have to rush out a huge number of toys, with exceptional sculpting and auto-morph features, bonus gimmicks like combining, just have to be sacrificed due to lack of time. It's not because of laziness.

Fair enough - I wouldn't call it laziness. I would call it trying to do so much in that short timeframe.

Personally, I'd rather see half the junk stripped out of the movie line this time around (Slammers, 2/3 size classes of the leader characters, peripheral stuff like the walkietalkies) so that the designers are able to focus on the core toys. Considering how badly some of this stuff sold last time around (the Slammers only moved when everything else was gone in the leadup to Christmas, the Prime & Megs voyagers took a long time to sell), I'd rather see fewer toys given more designer time each.

GoktimusPrime
8th November 2008, 06:58 PM
*nods* focus on quality rather than quantity

kup
8th November 2008, 07:05 PM
I would actually be more understanding of Hasbro's predicament here if they did not use the same 'lacking' approach on their other most recent non movie lines which have the same production cycle as any other.

GoktimusPrime
8th November 2008, 07:30 PM
Everything in the Movie news section is a spoiler if the movie is not yet out, so it is redundant having 'spoilers' on every post. We just have the rule of not having spoilers in topic titles, because they show up on the main table and topic listings. Everything else is hidden in the post itself.

No plot details are to be posted in non-spoiler topics until after each movie is released.
My understanding of this rule was that plot spoilers couldn't be posted in threads that weren't marked as containing spoilers. Has that only been my interpretation? If not, could that rule be re-worded better to make it clear that even topics not marked with a spoiler warning can still contain spoilers? *shrug*

griffin
8th November 2008, 08:09 PM
I will re-word it. This section was set up before the first movie came out so a lot of the parameters was guess-work. Now that it has passed, I can make some refinements to fix up the flaws.

MV75
9th November 2008, 12:44 AM
Personally, I'd rather see half the junk stripped out of the movie line this time around (Slammers, 2/3 size classes of the leader characters, peripheral stuff like the walkietalkies) so that the designers are able to focus on the core toys. Considering how badly some of this stuff sold last time around (the Slammers only moved when everything else was gone in the leadup to Christmas, the Prime & Megs voyagers took a long time to sell), I'd rather see fewer toys given more designer time each.

Oh heck yes.

No more robot replicas, or that TECH stuff (which is still peg warming at my local bigw). And no more "ultimate", unless it really is ultimate, as in robosapien style ultimate.

But I expect to see shelves full of mighty muggs, slammers and bumpers. Sigh.

GoktimusPrime
9th November 2008, 08:45 AM
And no more "ultimate", unless it really is ultimate, as in robosapien style ultimate.
...or if they're gonna give us a Universe Fortress Maximus! (can I have an A-men?) ;)

Golden Phoenix
9th November 2008, 11:55 AM
...or if they're gonna give us a Universe Fortress Maximus! (can I have an A-men?) ;)

A-MEN Brotha!

Pulse
9th November 2008, 11:29 PM

You mean one of these badboys (http://www.corvusonline.net/customs/ClassicsFortMax.html)... :)

Hallelujah! :D