PDA

View Full Version : Lego Masters TV Show

Autocon
24th March 2019, 10:52 AM
Channel nine will be broadcasting a new game show called Lego Masters. People building lego creations much like a cooking, tattoo, or reno competition show but with lego.

Jetfire in the sky
24th March 2019, 11:23 AM
My wife told me about this the other day, when she said channel nine I lost interest, they will end up making it like all the other BS fake drama "reality" shows rather then being a big massive Lego love-fest. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

i_amtrunks
24th March 2019, 12:11 PM
My wife told me about this the other day, when she said channel nine I lost interest, they will end up making it like all the other BS fake drama "reality" shows rather then being a big massive Lego love-fest. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Yeah I agree. Chanel nine will make it all sob stories and drama instead of just being about making things out of Lego with some guidelines.

Hamish Blake is hosting so that’s a plus, unless they try to make it all about him instead of him just being a funny host who delivers one liners.

Sinnertwin
24th March 2019, 08:05 PM
Im in the same boat.
Can't wait for the story and the tinky tinky slow piano tune to play over it.

UltraMarginal
25th March 2019, 02:15 PM
good job taking the buzz out of my optimism for a potentially interesting new show.. .

i_amtrunks
25th March 2019, 03:48 PM
good job taking the buzz out of my optimism for a potentially interesting new show.. .

Keep your expectations low and you can never be bitterly disappointed, only pleasantly surprised! :p

Sinnertwin
25th March 2019, 04:56 PM

Welcome to the Thunderdome!

Trent
25th March 2019, 05:57 PM
Keep your expectations low and you can never be bitterly disappointed, only pleasantly surprised! :p

Always expect the worst. Then, should the worst case scenario eventuate, your expectations are met and you’re not disappointed.

Imagine being an optimist. You’d be disappointed all the time.

Autocon
26th March 2019, 07:51 AM
Can we link the promo here from youtube? Some creations look really awe inspiring.

UltraMarginal
26th March 2019, 03:18 PM
do we know when this is starting?

griffin
26th March 2019, 06:55 PM
Can we link the promo here from youtube? Some creations look really awe inspiring.

Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2wUHbEqq0)... :)

It's originally a UK reality show, started in 2017 for two seasons (so far) of just 10 episodes (4 in season one, 6 in season two)... and has been compared to the format of the Great British Bake Off. (a third season is coming soon)

I wonder if channel nine have invited lego fans from events like the annual Canberra Lego thingy, to compete in this, as some of the example items look to be very well thought out by people who are experienced in lego construction.
Some episodes and clips of the UK version on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lego+masters+uk).

Omega Metro
26th March 2019, 10:36 PM
Hamish Blake is hosting so that’s a plus

Ughh! That’s me out.

Joshy
26th March 2019, 11:19 PM

Wow the format alone of the trailer is enough to put me off watching it. Looks like it will be every other reality show.

Sinnertwin
1st April 2019, 12:55 PM
I'd like to see Gordon Ramsay host this instead.

UltraMarginal
1st April 2019, 05:44 PM
I'd like to see Gordon Ramsay host this instead.

that would be intense!

griffin
14th April 2019, 02:43 PM
A TV commercial today said it starts next weekend, I think it was Sunday 28th.

shockNwave
20th April 2019, 05:46 PM
The first season of the reality show; Masterchef (also channel 9) ended with the innovative Poh Ling Yeow finishing second and the stock standard Julie finishing first just so it wouldn't be easy to predict the ending for the sake of ratings. I wonder if the producers will sink so low on this Lego show.

griffin
28th April 2019, 05:25 PM
This starts tonight, at 7pm on channel 9.

Autocon
14th May 2019, 04:15 AM
Grand final tomorrow night. What do we think about it? They have promoted applications for season two. I think its been interesting with what they have been building. Very calected group of people.

philby
30th May 2019, 12:06 AM
i enjoyed more than i was expecting. i even liked hamish as a host for a lot of it :eek:

BigTransformerTrev
30th May 2019, 03:17 PM
i enjoyed more than i was expecting. i even liked hamish as a host for a lot of it :eek:

Yeah I really enjoyed it too, and it was the first reality TV show I've given a chance to in well over a decade. Apparently it rated really well as it was pretty family friendly and was a nice break from the usual cooking/dating/renovating shows.

I'm just glad that arrogant little prick didn't win. Everyone on that show was really nice but him. He thought he was the best of the best but only won like one or two challenges and was the only team to actually fail to complete a challenge at all (the Delorian one). Came last in quite a few too - laughed that he kept going on his bridge was so strong that an adult could stand on it, yet their bridge was actually the weakest and the very first to collapse :p

The two guys that won it overall definitely deserved to win - they did a great job consistently and were in the top two nearly every challenge.

Quite enjoyed Hamish as the host too - hope he does it again next season :)

Trent
30th May 2019, 08:57 PM
Yeah I really enjoyed it too, and it was the first reality TV show I've given a chance to in well over a decade. Apparently it rated really well as it was pretty family friendly and was a nice break from the usual cooking/dating/renovating shows.

I'm just glad that arrogant little prick didn't win. Everyone on that show was really nice but him. He thought he was the best of the best but only won like one or two challenges and was the only team to actually fail to complete a challenge at all (the Delorian one). Came last in quite a few too - laughed that he kept going on his bridge was so strong that an adult could stand on it, yet their bridge was actually the weakest and the very first to collapse :p

The two guys that won it overall definitely deserved to win - they did a great job consistently and were in the top two nearly every challenge.

Quite enjoyed Hamish as the host too - hope he does it again next season :)

Yeah Kale was a polarising character. Ego the size of a small moon but at least he wasn’t an arsehole to the other contestants. I definitely think there was a lot of creative editing because the LEGO Facebook page that I am a member of had heaps of people that actually know him leap to his defence and say he is a really nice guy.

But the guys that won it definitely deserved it. They were always calm and cool. They were never freaking out and their builds were always solid. Glad they won.

And apparently they have confirmed a second season due to its popularity.

philby
2nd June 2019, 12:19 PM
kale made this lego ideas submission, which made it to 10,000 supporters but didnt get past the review stage. i really like it

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2fae905f-71cb-450a-a4ef-827ad96fb574

Trent
2nd June 2019, 01:54 PM
kale made this lego ideas submission, which made it to 10,000 supporters but didnt get past the review stage. i really like it

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2fae905f-71cb-450a-a4ef-827ad96fb574

I remember that.

Autocon
5th June 2019, 11:05 PM
Gawd i hate that guy. All full of himself.

Not sure if hamish can keep it up as the material will run thin.

It was enjoyable. Hope they go bigger next season!!

shockNwave
10th June 2019, 05:23 PM
On Saturday at Ozcomicon, that Kale guy had a display stall there and right before my eyes one of his friends accidently knocked over one of his sculptures and yes, it broke.

BigTransformerTrev
13th June 2019, 07:41 AM
On Saturday at Ozcomicon, that Kale guy had a display stall there and right before my eyes one of his friends accidently knocked over one of his sculptures and yes, it broke.

Bet that was something to see :D

Did you video it happening? You’d get 10k hits on YouTube with a video like that :p

M-bot
7th July 2019, 05:57 PM
My kids (4 & 6) have shown interest in Lego a few times, they have small collections with enough pieces to build some cool stuff. They have been especially keen after seeing things like the Lego movies and Lego Masters.

The down side of Lego Masters is that since the show ran, they have treated playing like a competition and been declaring each other as “winners” and “losers” when they build something, rather than just enjoying the experience of building and creativity.

Sinnertwin
12th July 2019, 05:39 PM
Casting is open for the next series of you're feeling confident.

griffin
12th July 2019, 07:43 PM
I recorded all of the episodes and watched them all later (in the space of a week), and enjoyed it more than I was expecting... because I thought it would be a predictable reality (build-or-bake) show, and even though it borrowed an existing concept of an "immunity brick", they only used it once. Maybe if there were more people and rounds, it would make more sense to have the concept, and have it offered a few different times.
I would also like to see the people who have immunity, build alongside the others as a "dead rubber", so that us viewers can see what they would have thought up, and because I felt bad for them missing out on the fun of one of the rounds (as a toy fan, I'd be a bit frustrated to have to watch on from the sideline during ANY round while still a competitor, when it is the hobby that I live and breath like these guys do). It's bitter-sweet - the relief of being safe for one more day, but missing out on something that would have been a lot of fun.

Also from my own experience with running competitions and being worried about being accused of favouritism (which is why I have to do random draws), I wonder how many of the contestants already personally knew the "Brickman" co-host, as any fandom in Australia is relatively small, and the more obsessed/dedicated fans would already know each other, or know of the others. If any of the contestants were already close friends with the judge, it could have been difficult to be objective if he had to judge creative elements, like the final build (the only thing he noted as being "wrong" with the theme-park was the colour of the rollercoaster columns... but the entire build had a lot more going on, and a lot more technical elements than the Posiedon build... and by having him looking over each build with the guest judge from Denmark, he was doing a lot more convincing of her of what he liked and disliked, than her convincing him - at least, in the aired cut).
With the pair of judges having 100 votes between them, I wonder why they didn't announce the total vote count... maybe it would have shown that the majority of the 150 visitors voted for the theme-park instead. Were the total vote counts posted up anywhere online?

I wonder how much all of that massive amount of (expensive) Lego would have cost, and if it was all supplied by Lego Australia for free... as it was expected to boost their sales (and it did). It had me wondering if it were possible for any other toyline to be able to do a competitive show like this, as I'm sure the other major toy companies would be brainstorming right now.

28 hours for that final build... if they had meal and/or nap breaks, I think they should have said it in the episode. There's no way they all would have been locked away in that room for 28 hours, and not have some breaks. They seemed way too awake and refreshed at the end to not have had some sleep or a meal. It seems a bit weird that it wasn't even noted if they did the 28 hours with or without any breaks (I don't think I missed it).

Sinnertwin
12th July 2019, 09:32 PM
The nan and grandson team said something like doing 12-15 hour building and filming days in an interview, with the magic of editing doing the rest.
Unless you're on caffeine and amphetamines, 28 hours would have had to have been split over 2 days.

M-bot
12th July 2019, 10:57 PM
The nan and grandson team said something like doing 12-15 hour building and filming days in an interview, with the magic of editing doing the rest.
Unless you're on caffeine and amphetamines, 28 hours would have had to have been split over 2 days.

I can’t think of a single reality TV program, especially a competitive one, that wouldn’t be improved by feeding the contestants caffeine and amphetamines immediately prior to filming.

Sinnertwin
13th July 2019, 11:09 AM
You mustn't watch much TV then.

Fungal Infection
13th July 2019, 07:24 PM
There was a behind-the-scenes video posted on the Lego Masters Facebook page which said some of the challenges were split over 2 days. There are after all, only 24 hours in a day.....