PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Transformers Comments Thread

STL
7th November 2008, 02:56 AM
I've made this thread for those of us who go back and buy a figure missed out before and want to comment on it, or you've gone back and revisited a TF and discovered something new, or just played w/ someone else's TF and wanting to comment about it etc etc.

I wanna comment on these two babies:

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/3766/dscf4148lc4.jpg

I actually opened them last night after having them in my room for a few weeks now and they are absolutely delightful. Hardly the perfect transformation but they are wonderful representations of the WW. Surprisingly, I find Prowl to be really excellent. I think w/ the last few releases, Hasbro must've started to really get the hang of these guys. The balance of the toys are perfect.

WW Grimlock's feet are great for adjusting poseability. His arm's are stubby but that's not the main problem. The larger problem is that there's a lot of bare space in the alt mode between the leg and the back treads. It's very annoying. But apart from that his robot mode is awesome. An absolute delight to look at much like G1 Ultra Magnus.

WW Prowl is friggin' awesome too. I find his balance to be the best and the solidity of his alt mode to be two very unique factors among the Titanium floppy alt modes. His only misgiving is that he has no gun like his G1 self. But apart from that he's very cool too. I like his pegs in the back of his arms that help to support it all.

i_amtrunks
7th November 2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks STL, now I want these guys even more.

Still sucks that we got all those cruddy repaints of Titaniums, and didnt get the epitome of the line. :(

Pulse
14th November 2008, 08:09 PM
My Prowl & Grimmy arrived today & I have to say = Hasbro definitely saved the best 2 Titaniums for last :). I'm so glad these guys were put into production cos IMO, if you compare them to the earliest titanium figures, these 2 are miles ahead. :D

What's so great about them? = They don't collapse on themselves, their limbs don't pop off & once you get their bot/altmode in their sweet spots - compared to past 6 inch titaniums, Prowl & Grimmy are just about perfect! :)

I expected 2 crappy figures but after playing with/transforming them quite a bit = I can't rate these 2 highly enough. I'd give them 9/10 :D

Oh & I was gonna take a pic of them for the acquisitions thread but I'll wait til my other figures arrive (hopefully nextweek) & snap a group pic then :).

Pipesqueak
25th November 2008, 10:47 PM
They look great. Where did you guys order them from?

Pulse
25th November 2008, 11:53 PM
They look great. Where did you guys order them from?

I got mine from Ebay (I think they were a BIN of $48 USD for the pair). Make sure you find them for a good price (& the seller has good feedback) & you definitely won't be disappointed :).

loophole
26th November 2008, 12:59 PM
I got a Classics Mirage Toy from the Parra Fair all i have to say i love this mould its freakin sweet :D cant way for Drag Strip now.

GoktimusPrime
27th November 2008, 10:38 PM
Classics Mirage is indeed a sweet figure. :) Check out some neat poses I managed to put him in here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvptaJylSV8) - no strings or anything, all natural poses! :)

loophole
27th November 2008, 10:53 PM
Classics Mirage is indeed a sweet figure. :) Check out some neat poses I managed to put him in here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvptaJylSV8) - no strings or anything, all natural poses! :)

that was cool man, so many cool poses

SilverDragon
13th December 2008, 08:49 PM
Me and my parents were over at a friend's house for their birthday, and I got to play with one of their kid's Star Wars Transformers, the ARC-170 Starfighter.

Admittedly, it was broken, missing the guns, a small wing, and a leg, but I really liked it. I especially liked the robot mode and how the kibble could be arranged to create an armour-like effect. As soon as I have enough cash, I will go out and hunt down the shark-face blue repaint of it, because it looks freakin' sweet.

The Scream Man
14th December 2008, 09:13 PM
Im trying to not let myself get the Hot Rod Alternator that Kinokuniya in the city has for $110. Its the one Autobot mold i never got (Could never find Mirage either) and id really like one but....110? hard to justify!

SilverDragon
15th December 2008, 08:33 PM
Im trying to not let myself get the Hot Rod Alternator that Kinokuniya in the city has for $110. Its the one Autobot mold i never got (Could never find Mirage either) and id really like one but....110? hard to justify!

For me, it's the same as nearly $200 for the Jetfire/Grimlock two-pack despite the fact that I really really really really want Grimlock.

I'll settle for Overkill.

The Scream Man
16th December 2008, 10:15 AM
For me, it's the same as nearly $200 for the Jetfire/Grimlock two-pack despite the fact that I really really really really want Grimlock.

I'll settle for Overkill.

Grimlock is terrible though, trust me. Well, Robot mode is anyway.

But yes, same dillemna

SilverDragon
27th January 2009, 08:24 PM
I made good on my desire to get the shark-faced repaint of the ARC-170 Starfighter today.

First of all, it feels cheap-as. It has the feel I'd expect from a knockoff bought from Paddy's Market. It doesn't help that the QC regarding the paint apps is screwed up, too. The robot head looks very unfinished and there are splotches on the fuselage. Heck, some paint came off when I pulled the rubber ties off!

Aside from that, the deco is utterly badass. It was, after all, my main reason for getting this toy. While Hasbro generally decides how to repaint stuff by going 'eeny meeny miny mo' (resulting in atrocities such as Roadbuster Ultra Magnus), this is surprisingly interesting and cool.

The other aspect of the vehicle mode I like is how there's virtually no obvious signs of an ability to transform, aside from the hands.

The big guns that come with it suck. Not only are they so big it's ridiculous, one of them is loose and swings all over the place.

Robot mode is frankly disappointing. While it looks cool, compared to other Transformers, it's a brick in articulation terms (this is even compared to deluxe movie Brawl). The arms are too loose to do much, the legs are stiff and can only turn slightly, and the head is simply there and does not turn. Dammit, Hasbro, I thought you solved posebility with Beast Wars!

Yeah, so it's a good display piece, but not a really good Transformer.

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 10:37 PM
The redeco represents the elite 501st Legion (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/501st_Legion) in the Republic Army, the core group served under Anakin Skywalker. They were later to be known as "Vader's Fist" under the Empire. :) I like how the toy also has an entirely new head, so it's not just a straight repaint of the standard Clone Starfighter Transformer. The regular Clone Starfighter TF's head is modelled after the Phase II Clone Pilot helmet (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/4/40/EpIII_clone_pilot.JPG) whereas the 501st Clone Starfighter's head is modelled after the Phase II Clone Trooper helmet (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Phase_II_clone_trooper_armor) with a visor similar to those worn by some Clone Captains (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/22/Commanderbly.jpg) with yellow Jai'galaar eyes (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaig_eyes) painted on the crown (an ancient Mandalorian (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian) tradition).

Hot Rodimus
28th January 2009, 08:47 PM
thanks for the review on you titaniums STL, I enjoyed it. I can't wait for my Grimlock to arrive even more now!
I must have Prime though, came close on ebay earlier this week but with postage from US it was going to be over 80 bucks so passed.....

jaydisc
11th July 2009, 12:44 PM
Based on the pics of Alternity Megatron, I decided to pass and I've only collected the Primes. When picking up my Super Black Prime from Goro (thanks buddy!), I had a play with his Silver Megatron, and I'm pleased to say that I was very impressed and I will now have to get a few copies of him.

The alt mode is gorgeous! As it's quite a bit more familiar than the GT-R, I found it to be a bit more rewarding. The silver Megs is a tad darker than the Optimus, almost a bit "gunmetal"y. The swords stow underneath in alt mode, can be held in robot mode, and can even be attached to his waist to look sheathed. Between the swords and the crotch-plate detailing, he really has quite the Samurai look going on. Of course purists might complain that this isn't what Megs is supposed to be, but I'm always happy for change and I think it looks great.

The head mold was quite a point of controversy in the pics. I'm pleased to say that at least for me, it isn't anywhere near the detractor I thought it'd be.

The transformation is similar, but different enough, and like the other Alternities I've played with, the ratcheting and style of confirmation of each bend and click-into-place is undoubtedly the most rewarding I've ever experienced on any Transformer.

I really prefer the smaller scale of these to the Binaltechs, especially as it doesn't seem that much detail has been compromised, and I think everything in this line so far is an absolute work of art. I really hope they keep it alive and move on to some different molds and characters.

Stompy
27th July 2009, 12:16 AM
I'll have to second what jay said about Alternity Megatron. His engineering eclipses that of Alternity Prime. The clever use of the doors as samurai armour prevents it from being kibble. His arms is a marvel of engineering and great use of colours. While his legs are a little hollow they do fit the samurai armour look well. Couple this with two samurai swords and small wrist blades as weapons, this is one mean Megatron. While some may cry over a non blaster Megatron, I've started to like his recent foray into dual weilded swords (Animated). As jay mentioned, that head looks much better in person than what the pics suggest.

Can't wait to see what they do with future alternity figures.