PDA

View Full Version : The Mandalorian - a live-action Star Wars television sho

SharkyMcShark
15th April 2019, 04:12 PM
So the panel for this was last night AU time at Celebration. It is premiering on 12 November 2019.

The cast is pretty good. Pedro Pascal is playing the lead role.
(https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/04/star-wars-the-mandalorian-photos-trailer-celebration)
There's footage floating around on youtube of the scene and trailer played at the panel last night (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0dhPm3vbyE). I've seen it and I'm reasonably excited. There's a very 'Firefly' feel to it.

philby
17th April 2019, 05:23 PM
Yeah I'm liking the look of this one

Jetfire in the sky
18th April 2019, 04:01 PM
This looks great, very much looking forward to it. I watched the extended trailer of it, and yes it really does have that Firefly vibe to it. Filoni is a big part of it and that's a massive plus.

griffin
29th August 2019, 04:40 PM
Another trailer for the Mandalorian TV show, for the new Disney Streaming channel in America from November 12th... set between Episode 6 and 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOC8E8z_ifw

drifand
29th November 2019, 08:49 PM
This is how you tell a story as compared to the current trilogy. The character development, build up is there. Thumbs up in making me gain back interest in Star Wars.

SharkyMcShark
2nd December 2019, 03:41 PM
I've found it kind of generic tbh. It's visually pretty but not challenging at all, or particularly interesting.

Episode 1 was decent as an intro episode.

Episode 2 really should have just been rolled into the pilot. Not a lot of substance happened. It created and then solved its own central problem in the space of about 20 minutes.

Episodes 3 and 4 were decent, but again generic.

I'm not saying every episode needs to be filled with twists and turns but I am saying that there's no point at which any character has done anything other than what you'd expect, in precisely the way in which you would expect. Also for something that's only going to have a total runtime slightly north of 4 hours for the whole season, there's been a lot of filler so far.

Tha_Phantom
2nd December 2019, 04:09 PM
I've found it kind of generic tbh. It's visually pretty but not challenging at all, or particularly interesting.

Yeah, this ^

I watched the first two episodes and felt pretty underwhelmed by the story. Visually it does look great, but it feels like its main goal is just OT fan pandering (I want to use a different word but I can't here :p ).
Although I will say that baby "Yoda" is possibly the most adorable thing I've ever seen.

drifand
3rd December 2019, 09:32 AM
Perhaps this is why Rian J is coming in to direct as rumours floats, and some of you might be interested.

DaptoDog
3rd December 2019, 03:52 PM
I'm really enjoying it, I look forward to every episode that comes out. It looks amazing at night with the lights off in 4K Dolby Vision on my OLED TV.

drifand
4th December 2019, 08:52 AM
I'm really enjoying it, I look forward to every episode that comes out. It looks amazing at night with the lights off in 4K Dolby Vision on my OLED TV.

same for me, it feels the right flow of things without stuffing up anything from the original trilogy.

Sinnertwin
4th December 2019, 11:32 AM
I've not seen the show, but is the baby Yoda THE Yoda?

How does that work if he was 900 years old in ESB, but this series is set 5 years before ROTJ?

Ralph Wiggum
4th December 2019, 11:51 AM
Its set after ROTJ. It is not baby Yoda. People just call it baby Yoda as his species is unknown.

Tha_Phantom
4th December 2019, 12:42 PM
Its set after ROTJ. It is not baby Yoda. People just call it baby Yoda as his species is unknown.

Correct. Hence my use of quotation marks around Yoda in my earlier comment. :p

Sinnertwin
4th December 2019, 02:17 PM

Oh right. Cool, I must have misread the page I was looking at :p

Lint
5th December 2019, 02:28 PM
I'm enjoying it. It's nailing the cowboy/samurai/western theme with Star Wars basically providing the setting.

I'm sure at some point it will follow the path of other franchise shows and degenerate to grandiose "fate of the galaxy" level of stakes but for now i'm enjoy this relatively low key adventure about a lone wolf and cub.

reillyd
5th December 2019, 03:33 PM
I love Baby Yoda, so will put up with anything as long as they keep him in it. Disney seems to have screwed over Star Wars licensee Hasbro, going with Mattel to produce the first Baby Yoda doll. I can't wait to get my mitts on one in March.

Omega Metro
5th December 2019, 03:43 PM
I love Baby Yoda, so will put up with anything as long as they keep him in it. Disney seems to have screwed over Star Wars licensee Hasbro, going with Mattel to produce the first Baby Yoda doll. I can't wait to get my mitts on one in March.

Just hope it doesn’t get killed off before March. I’m getting the life size Pop! Version. https://www.popcultcha.com.au/star-wars-the-mandalorian-the-child-baby-yoda-life-size-10-pop-vinyl-figure.html

shockNwave
15th January 2020, 04:51 PM
Finished watching The Mandalorian in recent weeks and am thoroughly blown away (it helps that I watched this series after watching Rise Of Skywalker). I'm excited for season two.

Looks like this year will be remembered as the year when Lucasfilm broke new ground by creating a live action SW series (while catering to youngsters with The Rise Of Skywalker).

Autocon
17th January 2020, 11:26 PM
Is there anywhere one can see The Mandalorian if one does not have Disney+?

valkyrie_76
19th January 2020, 12:25 PM
Probably be on Bluray/DVD sometime soonish.

SharkyMcShark
21st January 2020, 02:51 PM
All up I found the first season kind of bland. I enjoyed the experience of watching it, but in hindsight it was not super memorable or interesting.

Probably be on Bluray/DVD sometime soonish.

There's no confirmation that it will ever get a release on physical media, unfortunately.

Netflix shows usually make their way to home media.

Amazon shows usually don't.

There's no precedent for D+ so we just have to wait and see I suppose. I think it will come eventually, but not for a long time.

Jetfire in the sky
26th November 2020, 10:35 PM
Mando is one of the best things to happen to Star Wars (SW) ever. I hate the term normies which some nerds use to describe casual fans as opposed to the die hards. I think using casual fans is more appropriate because most people have a life outside of SW. Mostly. Mando has pretty much brought the SW fanbase back together with many plot threads being intertwined from the movies and shows. Those that have not watched The Clone Wars, Rebels or Rogue One are in this sense casual fans imho. I think Mando is introducing amazing characters outside of the casual fan's perspective while respecting the hardcore SW fans.

Lint
27th November 2020, 01:05 PM
I think Mando is introducing amazing characters outside of the casual fan's perspective while respecting the hardcore SW fans.

I think Mando is respecting everyone tbh. A quality production, through and through.

Sinnertwin
4th December 2020, 08:12 PM
Im really enjoying this show, so much so that I've entertained the idea of dropping $60 at EB Games for the Mando & (can we say his name?) The child Black Series set

1AZRAEL1
4th December 2020, 10:05 PM
I'm quite enjoying it too. Especially the latest episode. No spoilers, but damn if my inner fan boy didn't love it

drifand
3rd January 2021, 10:41 AM
Enjoyed the series. Is everything what the sequels were not and it sells toys. I bought stuff because of this series, I bought nothing from the sequels trilogy, it says a lot. Hope they keep it up.

Seraphim Prime
3rd January 2021, 11:49 AM
The Mandalorian's great. I'm a little cautious about the whole raft of new shows announced as being set within the timeframe of the Mandalorian an hope that it's not setting up an MCU style connected universe that relies upon seeing all the shows to keep up. Hopefully it's more like the Netflix Series, which connected but focused on their own corner of the world.

I think I've put my finger on why it feels like such a great continuation of the original movies. The Mandalorian goes back to the same sources inspiration of the original trilogy - westerns and samurai films - and tells stories out of that inspiration, rather than using the original Star Wars films as your inspiration the way the new trilogy does. It also helps that Feloni is so involved with this series - he really is Lucas' true heir in terms of the Star Wars story. Feloni understands why the characters and their character moments are so important - find his description of why Duel of Fates is more than an epic lightsabre battles and actually forms a lynch pin of the prequels and the saga as a whole. Kathleen Kennedy may have been Lucas' pick to run the studio, but Feloni is truly the one to helm the story telling.

shockNwave
19th January 2021, 05:57 PM
1.Seraphim, what you said about westerns and samurai films is also well reflected in the main theme of the score.

******************* SPOILER ALERT*****************************

2. The ruthlessness of Kathleen Kennedy astounds me. Her plan to turn Bobba Fett from a peripheral character to a main character via his own movie was shot down in flames by the Star Wars fandom. So what does she do? She uses a backdoor approach to ensure Bobba gets his own series instead.

If the Mandalorian is anything to go by, I hope she succeeds.

SharkyMcShark
20th January 2021, 07:10 PM
The second season was alright. On balance probably not as good as the first, but then a good deal of season 2 was essentially backdoor pilots for stuff like Ahsoka and Book of Boba Fett.

The show reminds me of the early 2000s ongoing sci fi shows you'd get like Stargate SG-1. Now, to be clear I absolutely love that show but it's not the highest quality television out there. It only really rises to that next level twice so far as I'm concerned - the episode The Marshall was great front to back, and the second half of The Prisoner (where Bill Burr got to have his moment with his old commanding officer). The rest of it is television comfort food.

I think I enjoyed the 'experience' of watching more than the show itself, on balance. Having a little Friday night ritual with my fiance where we'd hustle home from work, quickly hit the gym and then sit down to watch the episode was really nice.

Sinnertwin
18th February 2021, 12:05 PM
What's the logic behind Cara's figures being more sought after now?
I know what happened, but what's the difference between her character and someone that kicks the bucket on the show? Does being fired increase your market value?

Seraphim Prime
18th February 2021, 01:03 PM
Two things are factoring into it I think:

1 - a "grassroots" campaign to show that people still want to see her in the show / in the toy line
2 - Hasbro/Disney have cancelled upcoming releases of her figures so existing ones will be all you can get

Sinnertwin
18th February 2021, 01:50 PM
Some interesting points there. It's not like she was a major player anyway -say 3 words, shoot big rifle.

Tha_Phantom
18th February 2021, 02:23 PM
I know what happened, but what's the difference between her character and someone that kicks the bucket on the show? Does being fired increase your market value?

Probably saddos turning her into a hErO because she shares their views.

Ralph Wiggum
18th February 2021, 04:19 PM

An actor kicking the bucket doesn?t necessarily mean future figures won?t exist, eg Carrie Fisher. An actor being fired for whatever beliefs pretty much means that character is dead and buried never to see the life of day anymore, hence no more figures.

There is now a limited amount of Cara Dune figures, because no more are being made. Limited supply = increase in value. I say just wait for the whole thing to blow over. She was a shelf warmer prior to sacking, the hoarders I imagine are going to end up with a lot of dust collectors.

Sinnertwin
19th February 2021, 10:54 PM
An actor kicking the bucket doesn?t necessarily mean future figures won?t exist, eg Carrie Fisher. An actor being fired for whatever beliefs pretty much means that character is dead and buried never to see the life of day anymore, hence no more figures.

There is now a limited amount of Cara Dune figures, because no more are being made. Limited supply = increase in value. I say just wait for the whole thing to blow over. She was a shelf warmer prior to sacking, the hoarders I imagine are going to end up with a lot of dust collectors.

Have you guys seen some of the prices being thrown around for her figures ? Even RK is getting in on the action and bumping up their prices.
Calm down, people... jeez.

Gehirn
21st February 2021, 09:36 AM
Wow you're not kidding. The credit collection version which Big W had heaps of at $28 is selling around $90 on eBay sold listings.

XMan
22nd February 2021, 07:40 AM
She's now saying Disney bullied her, but she can't say anything or give details cause it would hurt a friend *eyeroll*

Jetfire in the sky
25th February 2021, 08:36 PM
I have a lot to say over this issue but I think I will take the very lazy option and exit stage left/right, depending on your POV (heh POV). ala Snagglepuss. Should we even go there with THAT name?

Paulbot
3rd January 2022, 09:46 PM
If this can be answered without spoilers - do you need to have watched The Mandalorian first before watching the new Boba Fett show?

(I do plan to watch the Mandalorian too)

Seraphim Prime
4th January 2022, 11:29 AM
The important stuff is talked about in the first episode - how he got out of the Sarlacc and how he got to where he is now

You miss out on the reveals of Season 2 of The Mandalorian, but they've done a good job of making the two things distinct

Lint
5th February 2022, 06:08 PM
If this can be answered without spoilers - do you need to have watched The Mandalorian first before watching the new Boba Fett show?

(I do plan to watch the Mandalorian too)

The last 2 Boba Fett episodes are pretty much episodes of The Mandalorian. The central plot of the Boba Fett show is itself spun off an episode of The Mandalorian. I think it would be good to watch the The Mandalorian first.

I believe all the new Star Wars shows are building towards a combined finale, Marvel Defenders style. Seems like their plots will not only cross-over, but actually weave into each other quite a bit

1AZRAEL1
5th February 2022, 10:20 PM
All weaves in with Clone Wars too. I really need to catch up on watching that show. Be interesting to see where they go with all this

Sinnertwin
9th March 2022, 12:39 PM
Pretty much another paint by numbers spin off.
I'm up to the episode where The Mando makes an appearance.
I quite like the way Boba pronounces Tatooine.
That's really all I've gotten from it so far.

Sinnertwin
16th March 2022, 11:04 AM
Finally got around to finishing BOBF
Shame it was only 4 episodes.

Jetfire in the sky
20th March 2022, 12:27 PM
Finally got around to finishing BOBF
Shame it was only 4 episodes.

Four because three of the seven episodes were The Mandalorian?

Sinnertwin
21st March 2022, 07:40 PM
Bingo