PDA

View Full Version : Siege stock - is it scalpers or just limited supply from Hasbro?

Tilarta
7th April 2019, 02:02 PM
I got my Sixgun from Kmart a couple days ago (see here for pictures thread):
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=609038

There weren't many toys though and there's even less now, it's just two Prowls, looks like the scalpers descended like plague rats and cleaned out most of the larger items.
And I apologise to plague rats for comparing them to Transformer Toy scalpers. ;)

reillyd
7th April 2019, 02:57 PM
And I apologise to plague rats for comparing them to Transformer Toy scalpers. ;)

They really get a bad rep. but its really not their fault. See it was the fleas on the rats that spread the plague, and killing the poor rats meant the fleas had to find humans to host them. But I digress.....

DELTAprime
7th April 2019, 09:05 PM
I got my Sixgun from Kmart a couple days ago (see here for pictures thread):
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=609038

There weren't many toys though and there's even less now, it's just two Prowls, looks like the scalpers descended like plague rats and cleaned out most of the larger items.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that its scalpers that picked clean the Transformers section. A case of Deluxes only normally has at most 3 maximum of a figure in it. That means it could take only 3 customers to clear out a single case assuming they are all buying a single copy of each figure. There are some people that want multiple figures to display in both modes or to keep one sealed. Also, take into account many stores only get a single case in at a time if they do not meet certain internal sales numbers.

griffin
7th April 2019, 09:35 PM
I'd have to agree with that, as I haven't seen a major retailer yet that had more than one case of (eight) Deluxes, which would just cover 2-3 collectors per store (at least one collector will buy a complete set, and 1 or 2 others will be selective and not want all of them).
The last case of scalping with Transformers were the really cheap Generations toys at BigW late last year, that members here saw people filling trolleys with, and then we saw a heap on ebay at full retail price, preventing real fans from getting the toys cheap.

Tilarta
12th April 2019, 05:32 AM
I live in a fairly remote area, so not sure what a major city retailer has in stock by comparison for the Siege line.
From my personal impression, judging how little space is dedicated to the Transformer products and the fact the stock is rarely updated, I'm assuming they just don't put a priority on those toys.

I really hope it was just a case of one customer buying one item each that depleted the stock near me.
From my perspective, buying extra toys just to have one in the box and one in vehicle mode is denying those toys to someone who might want one to play with.
Also, keeping them in the box is what scalpers do, so if I ever see an unopened box held by a collector, they've just dropped down to that level of notoriety.

Now for the digression, about fleas and carried infections.
Shortly after our species encountered the mammoths, the fleas from our faithful canine companions transmitted a bloodborne disease to which we and the canines carried an immunity, but the mammoths were not immune and as a result, they all died from it, thereby depriving me of the chance of ever meeting a live mammoth. :(

Trent
12th April 2019, 07:34 AM
I live in a fairly remote area, so not sure what a major city retailer has in stock by comparison for the Siege line.
From my personal impression, judging how little space is dedicated to the Transformer products and the fact the stock is rarely updated, I'm assuming they just don't put a priority on those toys.

I really hope it was just a case of one customer buying one item each that depleted the stock near me.
From my perspective, buying extra toys just to have one in the box and one in vehicle mode is denying those toys to someone who might want one to play with.
Also, keeping them in the box is what scalpers do, so if I ever see an unopened box held by a collector, they've just dropped down to that level of notoriety.

Shortly after our species encountered the mammoths, the fleas from our faithful canine companions transmitted a bloodborne disease to which we and the canines carried an immunity, but the mammoths were not immune and as a result, they all died from it, thereby depriving me of the chance of ever meeting a live mammoth. :(

So you’re trying to tell people how they should collect their toys and judging those that do so differently to you?

Ok.

Sinnertwin
12th April 2019, 10:12 PM

https://i.imgur.com/8e0k06o.gif

Deonasis
13th April 2019, 02:55 PM
RIP Big Convoy, miss you buddy.

griffin
13th April 2019, 07:35 PM

Just be aware that there might just be a number of closet collectors that shop there, and are buying up the toys before you get there. And don't be quick to blame people who buy multiples, as there aren't that many of them, and wouldn't make a difference to available retail stock in this country.

Also, be careful with how you refer to different types of collectors, as there are probably many of those ones here, who might judge you as being unfriendly and ignore you when you need answers or help.
Toys may be for the purpose of playing, but for some adult collectors, it is the appearance of the sealed package that excites them... like collectors from my era would love to see or own sealed toys from the first 2 or 3 years of Transformers.

Tilarta
13th April 2019, 09:37 PM
This is how it appears from my perspective, if someone acts like a scalper, but then objects to being classified as one due to different motivations, it still doesn't excuse their actions, because it still has the same result, they took extra toys out of stock unnecessarily and prevented someone else from getting one.

And if they wanted to keep their acquisition in the box so badly, then just keep their one toy in the box and I won't fault them for that, as they haven't exceeded their allotted purchase of one.

Mainly I'm concerned because my local stores are so disinterested in stocking Transformer toys, I've actually missed out on several items because they were simply not there and I can't afford to purchase them now at scalper prices.
So if I miss out on a toy because someone cleared the shelves by themselves, naturally I'm going to be a fair bit resentful.

Here's an example, this is a local Toyworld near me:
https://i.imgur.com/utdvefG.png
And there was another shelf just like it on the opposite side.
I'm not saying they need to fill this space with Transformers, but to have two shelves running the half the length of the store and be empty is impractical.

tinyJazz
13th April 2019, 10:31 PM
And if they wanted to keep their acquisition in the box so badly, then just keep their one toy in the box and I won't fault them for that, as they haven't exceeded their allotted purchase of one.

“Allotted purchase of one” omg, I had no idea about this? I’ve been collecting for ten years lol.

Tilarta
13th April 2019, 10:47 PM
@TinyJazz, that's not an official rule lol, it's just a personal observation.

Basically, from my perspective, unless you're really careless with your Transformer toys and break them/or lose parts, why would anyone need more then one of each character?
It's a sad story, but I know a friend of mine had a violent encounter with a scalper and ever since I heard their anecdote, my tolerance for anything like this behaviour is gone.

Also, I don't remember where I saw it, but one particular store (I think it was EBGames) actually had gotten smart about scalpers and basically said to their customers for the more valuable collectors' items, we're only selling you one, if you try to buy a second one, we won't let you have it.
So for them, it was an official policy.

FruitBuyer
13th April 2019, 10:57 PM
Mint collectors, people that like having multiples for a variety of reasons; you're lumping them all as scalpers?

There's plenty of legitimate reasons why someone would have multiple of a figure.

reillyd
13th April 2019, 11:07 PM

We're really going off topic here, but they have been able to sequence DNA from fully-frozen specimens from Siberia. We might just get to see those live mammoths yet ;)

DELTAprime
13th April 2019, 11:32 PM

With the exception of limited edition Takara Tomy figures or convention exclusives, it's not hard to get your hands on any brand new figure. Buying multiples of a figure very rarely actually deprives someone else of getting that figure. They are produced in such quantities that you can very easily acquire pretty much any figure.

If you can't find the figure you want at a local retailer there are tons of options open to anyone with an internet connection. I suggest looking at the Ebay listings & Dealer Ads section of this forum to find places that stock the item you are after.

Tilarta
14th April 2019, 12:17 AM
I don't know what mainland stores are like, but the factor to keep in mind is the local retailers aren't like mine, so taking every toy from them is a significant inconvenience.
Especially considering the Siege line isn't actually being stocked at this moment near me.

At the moment, I'd prefer to purchase the toys in person and examine them before getting them, because of something that went horribly wrong when I tried to purchase an Inferno Combiner toy.
There was a detail I couldn't see clearly and it was a defect, so I had to return the product.

That's why I'm forgoing internet orders for now, just because I can't look at the product personally.

The only one I have ordered is Siege Commander Jetfire, because I'm 100% certain I want him.
And the only company I could find in Australia who accepted my Jetfire preorder is Minotaur Entertainment, Melbourne.

Another complication is that my local retailers don't order the Titan class toys, I never saw a Metroplex or Trypticon and only saw one Fortress Maximus at Myers before he was sold and never restocked.
I'm still uncertain if I want to purchase Siege Omega Supreme or not, but if I do, I'd want to do this in person, because the size of the box may result in expensive shipping fees.

Maruten
15th April 2019, 12:13 PM
they took extra toys out of stock unnecessarily

They considered it necessary, because they wanted two, which is a fairly reasonable right for them as a consumer. Or they may have been picking up the doubles for a friend, or for any number of legitimate reasons other than "to screw you".

The lesson there isn't "the consumer must buy less", it's "the store must order more". It's very basic supply/demand.

However I do agree, of course, that buying out the whole place to sell on for arbitrarily inflated prices is wretched scalpiness. But there's a BIG jump from "one mint/one open" collectors and "actual scalpers:.

KELPIE
15th April 2019, 02:20 PM
Awww, I've been downgraded from Collector to Scalper...

But wait, if I bought 1 set from BBTS and then 1 of whatever I could find locally am I still a scalper? Or since I am taking them from different geographic locations and one that you don't shop from am I cleared?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/8eb2b13fdb85f1b7642b8d07a8613799/tenor.gif?itemid=10837274

ChlorHex
15th April 2019, 02:46 PM
I don't know what mainland stores are like, but the factor to keep in mind is the local retailers aren't like mine, so taking every toy from them is a significant inconvenience.
Especially considering the Siege line isn't actually being stocked at this moment near me.

At the moment, I'd prefer to purchase the toys in person and examine them before getting them, because of something that went horribly wrong when I tried to purchase an Inferno Combiner toy.
There was a detail I couldn't see clearly and it was a defect, so I had to return the product.

That's why I'm forgoing internet orders for now, just because I can't look at the product personally.

The only one I have ordered is Siege Commander Jetfire, because I'm 100% certain I want him.
And the only company I could find in Australia who accepted my Jetfire preorder is Minotaur Entertainment, Melbourne.

Another complication is that my local retailers don't order the Titan class toys, I never saw a Metroplex or Trypticon and only saw one Fortress Maximus at Myers before he was sold and never restocked.
I'm still uncertain if I want to purchase Siege Omega Supreme or not, but if I do, I'd want to do this in person, because the size of the box may result in expensive shipping fees.
I think you're placing too many conditions on how you'd like to make a product purchase.

This results in a significant reduction in opportunities for you to find the items you seek.

Heck. I saw heaps of wave 1 at my local Toyworld but didn't make a purchase then. I shared that sighting and the shelves were wiped clean.

Am I upset now that I'd like an Op or Megs from wave 1?
Nah... I'm actually happy that my local Toymate sold out as that supports a local business and keeps it going.
They've brought in heaps more of Transformers as a result and I'm sharing those sightings.

If I can't find an item... I go online. Easy.
I'm happy, the retailer is happy... everybody is happy :D

I just don't do local preorders.

reillyd
15th April 2019, 03:51 PM
We're having a robust airing of views, but before it becomes combative let's remember the thread is about Siege toys availability in Australia.

There really have been some serious problems with stock allocations (Wave 1 being skipped or not sent to major retailers, and only being seen in Toyworlds), and speed at which it has hit shelves. Pre-ordering a special item like Jetfire is actually a sensible move, because we really don't know how many will be allocated but know the demand will be really high.

And I have great sympathies for everyone who goes out on a toy hunt only to have their hopes dashed because its been cleared out, especially if they're in rural areas where stores are limited. Amazon.com and Amazon.com.au are good ports of call for ordering Siege product as well that you might consider Tilarta. It's no guarantee though of quality control, and their returns process can be frustrating. And there's something fun about being able to go to a store, see the product, read the bio, agonise over whether its worth the money, and then take it home that day.

Tilarta
15th April 2019, 04:41 PM
I'm uncertain about trusting Amazon for something like this, because their return process failed so hard when an order I placed with them was not completed.
Basically, the retailer took my money, then all record of the sale was deleted from the system and I never got the item either.
And I was only ordering a customised iPhone case!

I haven't gone back to check the local Toyworld since I took that picture, but according to their online site, they only have Starscream, Ironhide, Prowl, Sixgun and Chromia in stock.

For the record, the next ones I am considering purchasing are Brunt, Cog, Sports Car Patrol (Blackjack and Hyperdrive) and possibly Shockwave.
Shockwave is the one I would have to personally examine to decide if I want him or not.

For Australian online shopping, I usually go here:
https://www.tftoys.com.au/product-category/hasbro/war-for-cybertron-siege-hasbro/
This is usually my retailer of choice for international:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?SearchText=Siege

FruitBuyer
15th April 2019, 05:02 PM
It's unfortunate that you had something like that happen however the vast majority of sales go through fine. If they were as unreliable as you think they are then they'd never be as big as they are.

Paulbot
15th April 2019, 05:34 PM
I'm uncertain about trusting Amazon for something like this, because their return process failed so hard when an order I placed with them was not completed.
Basically, the retailer took my money, then all record of the sale was deleted from the system and I never got the item either.
And I was only ordering a customised iPhone case

Sounds like you might have bought through a third party seller on Amazon. Stick to the ones sold by Amazon and you should be safe.

Jellico
15th April 2019, 08:59 PM
Pre-ordering a special item like Jetfire is actually a sensible move, because we really don't know how many will be allocated but know the demand will be really high.

Reflector has to be the next big target. That has scalping written all over it.

Jetfire is interesting as he is just at that weight where shipping starts to get expensive. Places like Big W and Myer have been solid with Titans so it will be interesting to see where Ultras turn up. Omega too for that matter.

Tilarta
15th April 2019, 09:29 PM
I only saw one Titan class toy at my local Big W, it was a Devastator Combiner set and marked down because they hadn't been able to sell it.

Based on that, I'd been assuming that my Big W stockmanager just decided Titans weren't worth the cost of ordering, since I never saw any more appear at that store afterwards.

GoktimusPrime
15th April 2019, 11:34 PM
...buying multiples isn't the same as scalping. Scalping is, IMO, when you buy a toy and then sell it off at a jacked up price to make a profit, and especially when you buy out the whole shop thus forcing people to buy from you.

I'm not saying that I agree with people buying multiples straight off the bat as it can make toys harder for others to find. I personally think if that if someone wants a multiple then a better way would be to buy one first, then come back to that store in a week or so and if there are still toys left then grab another one. That way you've allowed time for other collectors (and kids) to get the toy if they want to. But unless you're going to sell the toy on at a higher price then I don't see how it's scalping.

Fun Fact: the black plague was deliberately transmitted to Europe after it was bio-weaponised by the Mongols in... 1357?
*Googles*
1347! Gah, I was off by a decade :p

Tha_Phantom
16th April 2019, 06:07 AM
Basically, from my perspective, unless you're really careless with your Transformer toys and break them/or lose parts, why would anyone need more then one of each character?
Because I felt like it. :p
https://i.ibb.co/5WSGFYF/20190416-055356-01-01.jpg (https://ibb.co/bgCQJHJ)

Sinnertwin
16th April 2019, 09:21 AM
Because I felt like it. :p

Shame on you.
Shame.

KELPIE
16th April 2019, 10:19 AM
Heck. I saw heaps of wave 1 at my local Toyworld but didn't make a purchase then. I shared that sighting and the shelves were wiped clean.
I spoke to the owner of Toyworld Ulladulla a couple weeks ago. They said that they had a really hard time getting Transformers in at the moment. They finally got in a whole heap of stock and it basically all sold out in record time. There were only a couple of each scale on the shelves when I was visiting.

This is usually my retailer of choice for international:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?SearchText=Siege

As someone who is concerned about quality, BBTS has the "Collector" grade for $2. They inspect the item and individually package it for shipping. If you're really concerned about QC it's a good option.

GoktimusPrime
16th April 2019, 11:01 AM
Shame on you.
Shame.
https://i.ibb.co/S3sCP3N/temp.jpg

SharkyMcShark
16th April 2019, 12:45 PM
Only two points to make.

1. Distribution in Australia to retail department and toy stores has been increasingly poor for a few years now. A few recent examples

- Studio Series voyager class completely stopped here after wave 2, and leaders after wave 1
- Studio Series deluxe waves 3 and 4 came and went quite quickly, but now wave 5 is receiving what used to be seen as a more or less standard wide distribution.
- The Power of the Primes deluxe wave that had Rippersnapper was almost impossible to find at retail here.
- No one except Toyworld and Toymate has stocked WFCS Wave 1.
- TLK Premiere wave 3 and 4 deluxes turned up about 15 months after the movie en masse at Toyworlds and Big Ws.
- Lest we forget the Christmas 2018 Big W $5 TLK Voyager madness.

What you're seeing as possible "scalper" activity could really just be awful distribution.

2. It doesn't matter what someone does with their toys after the point of purchase, and it doesn't matter how many they purchase. I say this as someone who doesn't understand how even an iota of enjoyment could be gleaned from having a MISB collection, but it's the truth. Whether they open and play with it, leave it in box, flip it on ebay - it doesn't matter.

Tilarta
16th April 2019, 01:02 PM
Something I've been wondering about, which may have an impact on Transformer stock levels is this:
Shortly before the Siege Toys arrived, a new stockline appeared in both Big W and Kmart, Fortnite toys and both stores put these next to the Transformers section.
I think the presence of this new stockline halved the available space for Transformers, so could it be that they didn't order as many to allow for the new items?

Me personally, knowing what I do about Fortnite and the unpleasant behavior it triggers in it's junior playerbase, if I was a stockmanager, I'd refuse to stock their merchandise on ethical grounds.
If you're curious, I learned about what it causes from gamer parents, who stated that they'd prefer their children would not play this game.
Think about that for a minute, people who enjoy gaming are telling me they don't approve of Fortnite.

As someone who is concerned about quality, BBTS has the "Collector" grade for $2. They inspect the item and individually package it for shipping. If you're really concerned about QC it's a good option.

The flaw with the Inferno Combiner toy wasn't something BigBadToys could fix, Hasbro basically packed the wrong combiner modules with him and when I insisted on a replacement, they just sent another mispacked toy and considered the case closed.
My next step was to take him back to Kmart and get my refund.

Raider
16th April 2019, 01:03 PM
I agree with Gok about what a scalper is. IMO a person who buys multiples for their own collection (No matter how they choose to display them) is not a scalper.

I have no issues with a person buying multiples. First come first serve. Hence why I pre order almost all my stuff online so I won't miss out.

Trent
16th April 2019, 01:16 PM
And also, if you have issue with people purchasing 2 copies of a figure for their own collection, I suggest you stay away from Macross Valkyrie collecting. Most collectors get 3 of every release with some getting 4. That’s one for fighter mode, one for gerwalk, one for battroid and one to keep MISB.

Maruten
16th April 2019, 02:39 PM
Me personally, knowing what I do about Fortnite and the unpleasant behavior it triggers in it's junior playerbase, if I was a stockmanager, I'd refuse to stock their merchandise on ethical grounds.

Man, I don't think you would make a very successful toy retailer then.

And this is a separate conversation and I don't want to derail the thread, but Fortnite is extremely tame and cartoony as modern video games go - it may be an easy outlet for stupid behaviour, but I don't think there'd be too many cases where it was "triggering" something that wasn't actually driven by some pre-existing underlying cause. Video game scapegoat, lazy parents, blah blah.

I would REALLY love to get a reliable answer from Hasbro and/or a major retailer about Siege. I just can't imagine that Big W said "we don't want the launch product, only send us the wave two -Masters". Did Hasbro somehow underestimate how much of wave one they'd need to ship to retailers?

But then at the same time... Toyworld got plenty of wave 1. Kmart, Target and Big W went straight to wave 2. So it's not like Hasbro didn't make wave 1 available in Australia. There's just no explanation that makes sense. Maybe Toyworld just beat everyone else to the initial stock.

UltraMarginal
16th April 2019, 02:43 PM

If you stack your order at BBTS with their Pile of Loot system and ship it after 3 months, allowing you to build up a 'larger shipment' the cost of shipping works out much less per figure. most larger international estores have a similar system. I have found it very beneficial in the past, especially for waves of figures where I wanted to buy entire cases of the toys.

The flaw with the Inferno Combiner toy wasn't something BigBadToys could fix, Hasbro basically packed the wrong combiner modules with him and when I insisted on a replacement, they just sent another mispacked toy and considered the case closed.
My next step was to take him back to Kmart and get my refund.

When I had an issue with Generations Blitzwing having 2 left arms, BBTS sent me a junker with the correct arm, free of charge so I could swap it out. they are very good with this kind of service. I have heard other similar stories from people buying at the larger international estores.
I'm also confidant that most local estores would also do their best to replace items like that for you.

I agree with Gok about what a scalper is. IMO a person who buys multiples for their own collection (No matter how they choose to display them) is not a scalper.

I have no issues with a person buying multiples. First come first serve. Hence why I pre order almost all my stuff online so I won't miss out.

Totally this, I literally have hundreds of Transformers still MISB, it's not because I plan on flipping them, I just buy them faster than I open them so I end up with a 'ballast' of unopened toys. I sometimes buy something with the intent that I don't miss out on it in case I decide I want it in my collection rather than paying after market prices a couple years down the track.

And also, if you have issue with people purchasing 2 copies of a figure for their own collection, I suggest you stay away from Macross Valkyrie collecting. Most collectors get 3 of every release with some getting 4. That’s one for fighter mode, one for gerwalk, one for battroid and one to keep MISB.

That shit be cray cray, I could never afford a collection that demanded 4 of everything.

I do buy multiples. the Generations and titan master scourge, I bought Hasbro multiples and one of the Takara version to have a 'scourge with sweeps'.

I and pretty much every other hard core collector will be chasing down 3 of the up coming refractor figure to be able to make the camera mode that demands 3 off. I have heard that Hasbro are even packing them 3 to a case of eight. but then this will cause problems, any one store seems lately to only be getting 1 or 2 cases in at any one time, that allows for only 2 collectors, and there are a lot of us out there. Then what happens when someone just buys one refractor? that means someone wanting 3 can buy the 2 there and will have to look for another case somewhere else.

I can tell you something for free, I'm no scalper, I even went to the extreme of only picking up the legion class Transformers Prime Vehicon one at a time on single visits to the store, I think I ended up with about 4 or 5.

Sinnertwin
16th April 2019, 02:55 PM
I'd much rather just order 3 Reflector's, or any other toy for that matter online and not worry about the time and effort involved in physically going to a store.

Tilarta
16th April 2019, 03:16 PM
@UltraMarginal,
I did check with some other Transformer toy collectors and they defined the Inferno Combiner module packing error as this:

There were actually two waves of Combiner Inferno toys, unmarked.
The first wave was packed with the correct modules as shown on the outside of the packet, the second wave as packed with Dinobot/Volcanicus modules.
Since the Dinobot modules aren't remotely compatible with the Prime Core module gun combination mode, that made them unusable by me.

I think Hasbro just assumed that what the box was packed with was meant to be, without actually reading my 2 page letter with pictures explaining what they did wrong and just sent another wave 2 Inferno as replacement without even bothering to check the contents of the box.

Then the collectors told me the same thing had been done with Combiner Starscream as well.

So I'm uncertain if BigBadToys can fix that particular issue, they'd have to find a wave 1 Combiner Inferno and sell that instead of the mispacked wave 2 version.

To keep the thread being derailed, you can go here and learn what I did about Fortnite:
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=609632

KELPIE
17th April 2019, 11:25 AM
Me personally, knowing what I do about Fortnite and the unpleasant behavior it triggers in it's junior playerbase

The last time I heard about kids dancing as unpleasant behaviour was from a minister in a small mid-west town USA.... ;)

I and pretty much every other hard core collector will be chasing down 3 of the up coming refractor figure to be able to make the camera mode that demands 3 off.

Aww man... does this mean I need 6? 3 for camera and 3 for MISB? Or can I get away with 3 for camera and 1 MISB? :rolleyes:

Tha_Phantom
17th April 2019, 11:30 AM
Aww man... does this mean I need 6? 3 for camera and 3 for MISB? Or can I get away with 3 for camera and 1 MISB? :rolleyes:

No, you need 9! 3 for camera, 3 for robot, 3 for MISB. :p

GoktimusPrime
17th April 2019, 12:17 PM

3 for robot
3 for camera
3 for MISB
3 for customising to their G1 toy-accurate colours

Krayt
17th April 2019, 12:25 PM
@UltraMarginal,
I did check with some other Transformer toy collectors and they defined the Inferno Combiner module packing error as this:

There were actually two waves of Combiner Inferno toys, unmarked.
The first wave was packed with the correct modules as shown on the outside of the packet, the second wave as packed with Dinobot/Volcanicus modules.
Since the Dinobot modules aren't remotely compatible with the Prime Core module gun combination mode, that made them unusable by me.

I think Hasbro just assumed that what the box was packed with was meant to be, without actually reading my 2 page letter with pictures explaining what they did wrong and just sent another wave 2 Inferno as replacement without even bothering to check the contents of the box.

Then the collectors told me the same thing had been done with Combiner Starscream as well.

So I'm uncertain if BigBadToys can fix that particular issue, they'd have to find a wave 1 Combiner Inferno and sell that instead of the mispacked wave 2 version.

To keep the thread being derailed, you can go here and learn what I did about Fortnite:
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=609632

Got any info on wrong parts? searching the webs isn't showing anything other than box art differs to included parts in all cases.

snaketales
17th April 2019, 12:26 PM

In the Transformers lore one character can often represent many eg Sharkticons
https://i.imgur.com/r5Mywv0.jpg

And some toys can be easily turned into others (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=25639), which is why I bought three PotP Starscreams (but I can see how this can be considered as something different).

GoktimusPrime
17th April 2019, 01:12 PM
What I personally do - and I must stress that this is just what I do and I'm not prescribing this for anyone else - is that when I army build I try to collect variants (which means also getting them from different sources) rather than just buying out loads of the same toy from the one store. Having said that, I find that small and cheap figures like the Legends Class Sharkticon works well for army building because smaller toys are usually produced in much larger quantities. The bigger and dearer the toy then the fewer they make. I remember a lot of people struggling to find even one Generations Scourge to own because other people were army-building Sweeps. I have 2 Sharkticons - one TR and the other is LG.

As mentioned before, what I also sometimes do is just wait a few weeks and if the toy that I want to buy another one of is still in stock then I'll grab it. I'll grab one first then give time for others to grab one. I don't mind if people want to collect multiples but I think that it wouldn't hurt if there were some consideration for our fellow fans. :)

Example of army building with variants:
https://i.ibb.co/4dh4bdm/prime-vehicons-carsquad.jpg
No two of these Vehicons are the same toy. They are all different - either as a different mould or variant of the same mould.

Something else that I do is some is just use MS Paint and digitally multiply the number of troops in a shot to create the illusion of an army
https://i.ibb.co/NmRZ31F/prime-wreckandrule.jpg
In reality it's just the same toy rephotographed in various positions then composited into the same shot

Tilarta
17th April 2019, 01:14 PM
@Krayt

See this photo:
https://i.imgur.com/mMN6BAe.png
The foot module above the instruction sheet is the one that came with my toy.
Now compare it to every other picture in the photo and you'll see it's the wrong one.

Whatever the instructions were asking me to do cannot be done with this module.

Ode to a Grasshopper
17th April 2019, 02:33 PM
I've gotta say, I do kind of think 'leave some for others' has a certain validity. Especially since there are kids who are into TFs too, and that's sort of how the brand keeps on going.
I generally prefer buying loose/used anyway - I get a bargain, someone else gets funds towards something else they want, and the toy doesn't go to waste so to speak.

No, you need 9! 3 for camera, 3 for robot, 3 for MISB. :p+1 or +3 for 'spaceship' mode.
I'm a bit sad they didn't call it a 'submarine'...:rolleyes:

Tha_Phantom
17th April 2019, 03:23 PM
+1 or +3 for 'spaceship' mode.

Oh definitely plus 3. :D

UltraMarginal
17th April 2019, 04:10 PM
@Krayt

See this photo:

The foot module above the instruction sheet is the one that came with my toy.
Now compare it to every other picture in the photo and you'll see it's the wrong one.

Whatever the instructions were asking me to do cannot be done with this module.

I'm a little confused, mate, the foot module, apart from the shape of the 'toes' is the same across the line. the titan masters, or prime masters will fit in the top of it and the fist modules that come with the deluxes will attach to the back of the foot for added stability.

The functionality of that design is the same across the product line.

Tilarta
17th April 2019, 04:45 PM
I don't know what the instructions are specifying to make, since it's not possible.
This is as close as I got:
https://i.imgur.com/HypZbCg.png

The main problem is that there's something missing from the underside of the foot module, it's probably a post, since in this configuration, it's meant to be gripped by the toy's hand.

Second problem, the spikes on the knuckles prevent the hand module from being rotated into the correct position.
The Prime Core socket should be on the other side, where it's visible if the toy could actually hold this PrimeMaster Gun assembly.

Now compare this to the instructional pictures and you'll see they show a non-spiked hand.

Paulbot
17th April 2019, 07:12 PM
I don't know what the instructions are specifying to make, since it's not possible.
This is as close as I got:
https://i.imgur.com/HypZbCgl.png

It's not meant to be a weapon that's held by Inferno, the instructions just show how to make feet for the combiners.

I just tried mine and yes the foot looks different to what is shown in the instructions but it combine with deluxe armour to form combiner feet no problem.

The only other thing the instructions show you to do is to plug the feet (without the prime armour) into his back

https://i.imgur.com/7ah1RExl.png https://i.imgur.com/4wigMISl.png

Tilarta
17th April 2019, 07:23 PM
Refer to the picture on the outside of the box:
https://i.imgur.com/XR0KWcn.png
It's clearly a Prime Core enhanced gun.

But whatever Inferno is supposed to be gripping to hold the combined weapon in his hand simply isn't there.

Paulbot
17th April 2019, 07:30 PM
Refer to the picture on the outside of the box:
https://i.imgur.com/XR0KWcnl.png
It's clearly a Prime Core enhanced gun.

But whatever Inferno is supposed to be gripping to hold the combined weapon in his hand simply isn't there.

Oh ok that's not in the instructions. But doable. You just have to swing out the peg on the underneath of the foot, plug the prime core in, attach the gun by the peg on it's side, leave off the prime armour and he can do that pose.

If your toy doesn't have the peg underneath the foot then yes you've got a fault toy. Hope this helps.

https://i.imgur.com/dYBnh5Bl.png

Krayt
17th April 2019, 11:41 PM
Paulbot, I pulled my POTP out, and his pic is of the grimlock feet, not the inferno feet (which match starscream/elita1).

Grimlock feet don’t have the post to flip out, as grimlock had pegs on his leg.

Tilarta, the box pics and instructions being different don’t mean much, this change all the time. It’s well documented the feet shipped were different to the pics, but I can’t find any reference to peo0le getting grimlock feet with inferno.

That said, any chance you mixed up grimlocks feet with infernos at some stage?

Krayt
17th April 2019, 11:48 PM
@Tilarta

Just had another look.... the pic you posted for me to look at box and instructions shows the CORRECT inferno foot....

The pic you posted with “the closest you got” is using a grimlock foot.

Look for the fold out peg under the first foot

i_amtrunks
18th April 2019, 06:48 AM
We should all be pleased that for the first time in forever retailers have not overstocked on wave one products and then not bothered with the subsequent waves. It really is such a nice change to see the second wave of a transformers toyline on shelves, far better than having 300 movie Prines and Bumblebees clogging the very small amount of shelving space transformers are allocated because they just don’t sell to the general public as well as other toylines do.

A change is as good as a holiday.

Krayt
18th April 2019, 07:49 AM
We should all be pleased that for the first time in forever retailers have not overstocked on wave one products and then not bothered with the subsequent waves. It really is such a nice change to see the second wave of a transformers toyline on shelves, far better than having 300 movie Prines and Bumblebees clogging the very small amount of shelving space transformers are allocated because they just don’t sell to the general public as well as other toylines do.

I’d agree.... but it looks like they overstocked wave 2 voyagers, skipped wave 3 and 4, and now wave 5 is still waiting...

Omega Metro
18th April 2019, 09:02 AM

Bad news for me as I preordered wave 2 thinking they will never show up here. I no longer want them as I’m not collecting so will have to sell these at a huge loss as they are shelfwarming everywhere.

KELPIE
18th April 2019, 12:12 PM
No, you need 9! 3 for camera, 3 for robot, 3 for MISB. :p

3 for robot
3 for camera
3 for MISB
3 for customising to their G1 toy-accurate colours

+1 or +3 for 'spaceship' mode.

Oh definitely plus 3. :D

Okay, 15 it is... I'm off to update my BBTS cart.

P.S. good job on everyone helping Tilarta with the foot.

Tilarta
18th April 2019, 06:16 PM
I don't remember what the Inferno feet looked like, but I'm fairly sure it was a packaging error that included the Dinobot feet instead of the generic Combiner feet.

Since I spent a fair while tinkering with the foot module to find out how to get it into Pyra's hand, the odds of me not seeing a flip-out post on the underside are unlikely.

In any case, I don't have them anymore to check, as mentioned above, I returned the entire Inferno Combiner toy to the store for a refund when I saw what Hasbro had sent me.

Edit:

The stock issue in Big W just got worse, the space was decreased 50% to allow for a Toy Story 4 display.
Now keep in mind it was already reduced 50% for the Fortnite display and the Transformers section is now at 25% of it's original size.