PDA

View Full Version : Shopping and interesting things to see - international advice

UltraMarginal
3rd July 2019, 05:24 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty sure there is a thread somewhere that details shops worth visiting around Hong Kong.

I'm going to the US though.
in October, I'll be going to San Francisco for a wedding over a few days around a weekend.
I'm looking for places to shop at for transformers in San Fran other than the standard Target and Big W.

I may be stopping through LAX on the way to or from as well. I'm considering going to the car museum that's got the movie car feature on for the next few months. (Petersons I think). If I do stop in LA I'll also be looking for toy stores there worth checking out. or anything else touristy that's cool.

In the past I've already done most if not all of the studio tours and toured Dodgers Stadium etc. I'm travelling on my own so I'll be saving things like Disney for when the kids are older and it's worth taking them.

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations for either City I'd be grateful.

Trent
3rd July 2019, 07:31 PM
Sino Centre in Hong Kong was good. It’s on Nathan Rd. That’s all I got to see as I was only there one night.

gamblor916
3rd July 2019, 08:34 PM
The California Science Center is worth a visit. If you can arrange some kind of transport the Natural History Museum and La Brea Tar Pits is also good.

For San Fran going up Twin Peaks just for the view is good and you have to do the steep Lombard Street just to say that you've been there.

As for toy shopping it's pretty hit or miss. I'd find a Walmart and have a look around or ask a local.

Paulbot
3rd July 2019, 09:21 PM
In LA I visited Big Lou's Toys & Collectibles (http://bigloustoysandcollectibles.com/_index.php). There’s a Target and TJ Maxx store across the road (think TRU used to be there too). It was easy to get to by bus from my LAX hotel.

UltraMarginal
4th July 2019, 09:26 AM
In LA I visited Big Lou's Toys & Collectibles (http://bigloustoysandcollectibles.com/_index.php). There’s a Target and TJ Maxx store across the road (think TRU used to be there too). It was easy to get to by bus from my LAX hotel.

That's the place I stopped with Griffin on the way back from the 2014 Botcon, and had to pass up on 3 boxed train transformers because I just had nowhere to put them, even as carry on. The Slot Car track is out of this world.