PDA

View Full Version : Reissue Gen1 Astrotrain at Walmart

griffin
29th December 2019, 08:39 PM
Looks like more reissues for Walmart in America (which will show up in Asia as well), as the Triplechanger Astrotrain was just found at Walmart in America (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/12/28/new-g1-astrotrain-reissue-found-at-walmart-403050) (and on their website), for US$50.

Tha_Phantom
29th December 2019, 08:55 PM
I'm so glad it's in the original Hasbro deco this time. I'll definitely be grabbing one.

For those wondering what the differences between vintage and reissue Astrotrain are, I've noticed:
- Much more rounded corners on the box flap
- "converts" instead of "transforms"
- The angle of the figure in the box
- 8+ instead of 6 & up
- The sunburst around the artwork is smaller on the reissue

DELTAprime
30th December 2019, 09:20 PM
Would it kill HasTak to reissue the E-Hobby Astrotrain?

That is one of the few G1 figures I still would like to buy.

High_Q
31st December 2019, 09:41 AM
Was this Walmart Astrotrain reissue previously announced, or its appearance on Walmart shelves the first time we've heard of this?

Tha_Phantom
31st December 2019, 10:03 AM
Was this Walmart Astrotrain reissue previously announced, or its appearance on Walmart shelves the first time we've heard of this?

It won a fan vote earlier this year. Slated for a 2020 release, but close enough. :p

High_Q
31st December 2019, 01:01 PM
It won a fan vote earlier this year. Slated for a 2020 release, but close enough. :p

Ah, i see. I must have missed that news. Thanks.

griffin
31st December 2019, 06:12 PM

I totally forgot about that... probably because of how rushed they did it (three rounds of voting in one week).

And I also forgot about the second reissue fan-vote they did a few months later, which was done even quicker, with just a single day of voting and I think there was no advance warning either.

A quick recap for those like me who forgot about these...
December 2018 (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php/26087) (just over a year ago), we had a "2020 reissue fan-vote" on the official Transformers Facebook page, that had two semi-final rounds of Astrotrain Vs Perceptor and Skywarp Vs Thundercracker.... followed very quickly by a final round of the two winners - Astrotrain vs Skywarp.
Astrotrain won, and it was noted that it would be then be released in the first quarter of 2020 (it ended up appearing in stores in America just a few days before 2020).

Then in May 2019 (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php/26468) we had a snap poll on the official Transformers facebook page, of just one day, with Blaster Vs Skywarp, resulting in a very narrow win for Blaster at just 56%. It was said to be released in 2020, but no month or quarter noted.

Poor SKywarp... always the bridesmaid, never the bride. :p

Sinnertwin
31st December 2019, 07:57 PM
I can't see why Skywarp didn't win.

They've recently released Starscream in the line, so changing the paint and giving him the trophy couldn't have been that hard?

griffin
31st December 2019, 08:38 PM
I would expect Hasbro to release Skywarp and Thundercracker at some point, even if they didn't win the fan-votes, Hasbro could just claim that Astrotrain and Blaster were released first because the fans wanted them first.

The same happened with the Generations fan-vote in February 2018 (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php/25209)... Impactor and Mirage won, but we've already had two of the other four released/announced.

Impactor vs Mirage (released in Siege as a 3 pack, and in the main line)
Spinister vs Wheeljack (Spinister released in Siege, Wheeljack in Earthrise)
Needlenose vs Tracks (both claimed to be in Earthrise (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php/24350?p=618154#post618154))

Tha_Phantom
31st December 2019, 10:12 PM
I can't see why Skywarp didn't win.

They've recently released Starscream in the line, so changing the paint and giving him the trophy couldn't have been that hard?

I'd say there would be some demand for Astrotrain in his original deco, since none of his previous reissues have used it. We've had the black and white Takara deco, cartoon/prototype accurate Ehobby and the vomit-- I mean Platinum edition. I told you privately today that I've been through 3 vintage Astrotrains and I'm still not satisfied, so I'd be more than happy to have a brand new reissue in the original deco to complete my Astrotrain variants display (aside from the Platinum which I refuse to get).
On the other hand, there have been plenty of Skywarp reissues that are more or less the same as the original G1 toy.

Kranix
31st December 2019, 11:34 PM
I want this to replace my white and black version, just because I prefer the colour scheme of the original. I assume eBay is the go for Aus? Pretty pricey I'm guessing.

High_Q
1st January 2020, 09:09 AM
I'd say there would be some demand for Astrotrain in his original deco, since none of his previous reissues have used it. We've had the black and white Takara deco, cartoon/prototype accurate Ehobby and the vomit-- I mean Platinum edition. I told you privately today that I've been through 3 vintage Astrotrains and I'm still not satisfied, so I'd be more than happy to have a brand new reissue in the original deco to complete my Astrotrain variants display (aside from the Platinum which I refuse to get).

I want this to replace my white and black version, just because I prefer the colour scheme of the original.

In hand comparison (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/comparisons-reveal-astrotrain-reissue-has-different-colours-than-g1-toy-new-stock-images/44371/) shows that this reissue's purple colour is noticeably different from the original G1's.

Tha_Phantom
1st January 2020, 11:38 AM
In hand comparison (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/comparisons-reveal-astrotrain-reissue-has-different-colours-than-g1-toy-new-stock-images/44371/) shows that this reissue's purple colour is noticeably different from the original G1's.

Thanks for that. I noted some of the box differences earlier and I was expecting the figure would have some too. Others may disagree, and that's fine, but to me this is close enough to stand in for the vintage on my display. :)

reillyd
1st January 2020, 03:21 PM
I want this to replace my white and black version, just because I prefer the colour scheme of the original. I assume eBay is the go for Aus? Pretty pricey I'm guessing.

You'll pay through the nose on ebay at the moment, because it will only be people buying in store and then flipping it for a premium. If you can be patient, I expect you will soon see Asian sellers and online retailers (robotkingdom.com which resells through Hasbro HK) stocking him as well, which might be a more realistic price point.

Jazzman
1st January 2020, 05:44 PM

Kind of a bummer... but I'll still grab him :)

Kranix
4th January 2020, 10:11 AM
You'll pay through the nose on ebay at the moment, because it will only be people buying in store and then flipping it for a premium. If you can be patient, I expect you will soon see Asian sellers and online retailers (robotkingdom.com which resells through Hasbro HK) stocking him as well, which might be a more realistic price point.

Thanks for the advice, I will wait :cool:

GoktimusPrime
4th January 2020, 02:11 PM
We could easily have 100% OG accurate reissues if scalpers didn't exist. And the best way to combat scalper scum is to never buy from them. But as long as scalper scum exist, then making reissues more differentiated from the original toys is a good way to stop the scum from passing off these reissues as originals. Someone recently showed me some eBay sale of a counterfeit Optimus Prime toy being sold as vintage. If people are willing to do this with fakes then you can bet that they'd be willing to do it with reissues, especially when the reissue's packaging looks so similar to the original.

MV75
4th January 2020, 05:52 PM
Just checked my commemorative one, it's the takara black. Am I the only one with a stack of those? lol. Toyworld had so many for so cheap. Back in the good days of TRU stocking the line too. Now we have no one aside from specialty importers. Sucky time to be a collector.

GoktimusPrime
4th January 2020, 05:54 PM
Just checked my commemorative one, it's the takara black. Am I the only one with a stack of those? lol. Toyworld had so many for so cheap. Back in the good days of TRU stocking the line too.
The Commemorative reissue of Astrotrain was such a massive shelf warmer. I remember seeing even Kmart being overwhelmed with dead stock that would've sell even after the toy was reduced to $25.

MV75
4th January 2020, 06:06 PM
The Commemorative reissue of Astrotrain was such a massive shelf warmer. I remember seeing even Kmart being overwhelmed with dead stock that would've sell even after the toy was reduced to $25.

$16 at Toyworld.

Skyfire
4th January 2020, 06:53 PM
I was hoping it would be the same colours as the Siege or 1985 toy version. Where did the white and black come from? Neither toy nor cartoon accurate. At least he's not orange, white and blue (if someone gave me the Platinum Astrotrain and Blitzwing set, I'd secretly give it away!). I'll pass and maybe get Siege Astro.

MV75
4th January 2020, 08:48 PM
I was hoping it would be the same colours as the Siege or 1985 toy version. Where did the white and black come from? Neither toy nor cartoon accurate. At least he's not orange, white and blue (if someone gave me the Platinum Astrotrain and Blitzwing set, I'd secretly give it away!). I'll pass and maybe get Siege Astro.

The black and white one is the original 1985 Japanese release.

GoktimusPrime
4th January 2020, 10:58 PM
I was hoping it would be the same colours as the Siege or 1985 toy version.
This reissue is the same colours as the 1985 toy that was released here by Hasbro. The main difference appears to be a darker shade of purple. We're talking about a different shade of the same colour here, not a change in colour as with previous reissues (although the TFC and CS reissues were based on a Japanese G1 variant; Japan had 2 versions in the 80s). :)
https://i.ibb.co/m6wbN9Z/astrotrain-shades.jpg
Besides, we still have our G1 Astrotrains to look at if you really prefer the original lighter purple (I think the darker purple looks nicer, but maybe that's just me). I don't know about yours, but the legs on my G1 Astrotrain has not aged well. They're really stiff and hard to pull out, and when I do manage to do it they're then too loose and won't lock out! :rolleyes: Yeah, they're either too stiff or too loose, there's nothing in between. When I took this recent photo I literally stuck Blu-Tack behind the legs to get the toy to remain standing!
https://i.ibb.co/YynvQtt/astrotrain-G1-A.jpg
So I'm personally looking forward to getting this reissue and retiring my G1 as a display piece inside the reissue's box. :) My G1 Sandstorm also suffers from super loose legs too. Wouldn't mind getting a reissue of him.

Skyfire
5th January 2020, 01:37 AM
Ah I didn't know about the Japanese black and white version. Sorry, I meant the 1985 toy catalog version for the West. He never got produced in that colour scheme originally I believe. Goktimus's Collector's edition on the right is the one for me! (but still too pink!)

GoktimusPrime
5th January 2020, 12:55 PM
Goktimus's Collector's edition on the right is the one for me! (but still too pink!)
It is a lighter shade of purple compared to the actual prototype, but this was probably done to prevent idiots from trying to sell it as the actual prototype. You could just buy a loose reissue and custom paint it yourself it it really bothers you that much. :p

griffin
3rd April 2020, 12:08 AM
According to Robotkingdom in HK, the reissue Astrotrain toy that was released in December last year (just 3 months ago) is being reissued in the next week or two.

I'm thinking that it is probably just another shipment of units of the same production run to HK, as it would be too soon for a reissue (another production run), particularly of an non-iconic character. With the amount of time it would take to do a production run and ship them out, it would be more than 3 months, so it could just be a 3 month delay due to Chinese New Year and Covid-19.

dirge
3rd April 2020, 09:07 AM
According to Robotkingdom in HK, the reissue Astrotrain toy that was released in December last year (just 3 months ago) is being reissued in the next week or two.

Yet again, I love your work. I have a mate who was offering to pick up stuff when in the USA later this year and I had Astrotrain in mind. I'd resigned myself to the fact he isn't going to travel. I've just pre-ordered one.

danny-boy
4th April 2020, 02:48 PM
Pre-ordered. Thanks!

One hundred dollarydoos with shipping. TOBIAS!!!

Man that stings. Going to have to cut down on Transformers purchases, though with nothing on the horizon for G1 reissues and G1 Masterpiece, that won't be a problem.

DaptoDog
4th April 2020, 04:55 PM
Pre-ordered. Thanks!

One hundred dollarydoos with shipping. TOBIAS!!!

Man that stings. Going to have to cut down on Transformers purchases, though with nothing on the horizon for G1 reissues and G1 Masterpiece, that won't be a problem.

Unfortunately all shipping to Australia is suspended, did you see that in RK's message posted today?

dirge
4th April 2020, 04:58 PM
Unfortunately all shipping to Australia is suspended, did you say that in RK's message posted today?

I did. I don't mind, I'm in no rush to actually GET mine.

danny-boy
4th April 2020, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately all shipping to Australia is suspended, did you see that in RK's message posted today?

Thanks for that info, I didn?t know.

As Dirge wrote above though, I don?t mind waiting. There?s nothing exciting about this reissue. Just another G1 to check off the list.

griffin
5th April 2020, 01:12 AM

Again? Or still not shipping since the Chinese New Year Virus shutdown back in February?

DaptoDog
5th April 2020, 07:06 AM
Again? Or still not shipping since the Chinese New Year Virus shutdown back in February?

Again

https://www.robotkingdom.com/news/item/index/id/323