PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - Earthrise Voyager Starscream

SharkyMcShark
28th February 2020, 05:48 PM
Earthrise Starscream
Series - Generations
Sub-line - Earthrise
Size/class - Voyager
New/remould/redeco - New, though shares transformation design with Classics 2006 Starscream.
Wave - 1
Released here - FEB 2020
Approximate Retail Price - AU $50
Approximate Size - Who owns rulers anymore?
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - F-15 Eagle sort of?
Main Features/Gimmicks - It transforms.
Main Colours - Grey, red, blue
Main Accessories - 2x Null Ray Cannons

Is this just an upscaled 2006 Classics Starscream?
No. This is the same situation as with Studio Series Screamer v DOTM Deluxe Screamer. They clearly share the same transformation design, but its an all new figure.

How is it different?
Glad you asked. Size aside, this has better articulation (ball joint heat, bicep swivels, thigh swivels, ankle tilts). It also has less gaps in the robot mode because the arms transform in a more involved way than just tucking into the side like the 06 figure.

What's the jet mode like then?
About par? The whole of the chest sans the cockpit does just chill out under the fuselage as a chunk. I'm disappointed we've not come further than that in the last 14 years. It holds together solid and looks nice from a high angle.

Transformation?
Yes, it does that.

I mean, what is the transformation like?
The legs lower legs are now on Combiner Wars style flip out hinges. The arms curl up and go in the empty space in the robot mode torso while in jet mode. Aside from that it is just the 2006 Classics Seeker transformation.

You doing anything later? Fancy going for a drink
Honestly, not really mate. I'm not doing anything in particular, it's just that I don't like you like that.

Is this much cop in robot mode?
Everything clips together solidly and there are no issues with impeded articulation like on the 2006 Classics mold - there's a waist skirt to flip up, and the wings have a joint specifically to hinge back without moving downward to give the arms room to maneuver. The proportions are pretty good. Not as amazing as the WFCS Starscream, but that figure can barely be called a Transformer so gets no bonus points for having a good looking robot mode. If I curl up and hide under a cardboard box, that doesn't mean I've transformed into a cardboard box. That's essentially how I'd describe WFCS Starscream's effort at being a Transformer.

Is there anything worrying you?
Well this corona virus situation isn't looking great is it? Also I have several bills due tomorrow but have just spent quite a lot on getting the whole POTP Abominus set.

... I meant to do with this figure
Oh. Not really. The plastic feels nice, the joints are good tight. The wings don't clip into anything in robot mode and just held up by friction. The joint is tight now, but I can't vouch for how much of a lifespan it will have.

Should I get this?
Any Starscream that boths to actually use the jet mode cockpit for the chest is worth buying. This is a fun, solid figure without major flaw. I wish that the design had been pushed further since 2006, but it's a good reuse of those design ideas.

EDIT: Some photos with his other Voyager Starscream cousins

https://i.imgur.com/F5K0VKf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MnxCmHi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nPwH4Pf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xk6LAgF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/r4FXjb4.jpg

GoktimusPrime
28th February 2020, 09:57 PM
Is this just an upscaled 2006 Classics Starscream?
No. This is the same situation as with Studio Series Screamer v DOTM Deluxe Screamer. They clearly share the same transformation design, but its an all new figure.
I suspected as much. :) But having said that - and as someone who prizes technical correctness - Voyager SS Starscream is basically an upsized version of the DOTM Deluxe. :p Yes, it's a whole new mould, but with so much shared engineering it comes across or feels like an upsize. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - I LOVE Studio Series Starscream. ROTF Voyager Starscream was a more "Voyager-like" design in terms of greater complexity and what not, but it was still clunky and just not as nice a toy as SS Starscream. SS Starscream brought elegance in its simplicity (which was by no means condescending). In fact, I initially passed up SS Starscream thinking not much of it until I played with someone else's... then I went straight to TRU and bought an SS Starscream for myself! :D

So yeah, it sounds like they've repeated the success of the SS Starscream formula with Earthrise Starscream here, and why not? :)

Don't know if this toy is really my thing, but it does sound and look like a fun toy. Glad you're enjoying it.

You doing anything later? Fancy going for a drink
Honestly, not really mate. I'm not doing anything in particular, it's just that I don't like you like that.
"You make me sad."
- King Arthur (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

SharkyMcShark
29th February 2020, 01:16 AM
I suspected as much. :) But having said that - and as someone who prizes technical correctness - Voyager SS Starscream is basically an upsized version of the DOTM Deluxe.

Basically, but not literally.

I've shied away from the "upscale" description because we've had things in official lines that are literally upscales (the Beast Hunters figures), and this is beyond that.

reillyd
29th February 2020, 12:58 PM
I'd be curious if anyone has the toy in hand to see a size comparison with any of the old Universe deluxe. I know 'voyager' sizes have varied over the years, and since I've yet to track me down any Earthrise, I'll have to live vicariously through others ;P

SharkyMcShark
29th February 2020, 04:48 PM
Photos added to OP.

I'd be curious if anyone has the toy in hand to see a size comparison with any of the old Universe deluxe. I know 'voyager' sizes have varied over the years, and since I've yet to track me down any Earthrise, I'll have to live vicariously through others ;P

Ask and you shall receive

https://i.imgur.com/GnRMSLg.jpg

Ode to a Grasshopper
29th February 2020, 05:51 PM
He looks surprisingly good, I might grab the inevitable Thundercracker and Skywarp repaints of this guy. :cool:

Sinnertwin
29th February 2020, 06:07 PM
He's beautiful

Jellico
29th February 2020, 09:51 PM
Is the belt buckle easily scraped?

Autocon
1st March 2020, 05:44 AM
Photos added to OP.

They are both voyagers?!

Tetsuwan Convoy
1st March 2020, 02:40 PM
Is the belt buckle easily scraped?
Yeah, I was wondering that too, there's some red paint missing from his groin, as well as a silver blotch on his noggin'. They still don't have battle damage do they???

They are both voyagers?!
The one on the right is deluxe

Bemblebuu
1st March 2020, 07:26 PM
I wonder if removing that grey chest bit of plastic (which blocks a third of the cockpit window in robot mode), would significantly weaken the figure?

Omega Metro
1st March 2020, 09:48 PM
I wonder if removing that grey chest bit of plastic (which blocks a third of the cockpit window in robot mode), would significantly weaken the figure?

Don’t know but I think it looks a lot better staying there.

shockNwave
4th March 2020, 05:53 PM
Photos added to OP.

Wouldn't it be better to have MP Starscream standing along side it? At least that way a better comparison can be made when it comes to details.

reillyd
4th March 2020, 07:54 PM
Thanks Sharky. That really is quite a substantial improvement in terms of size, as well as detail. Especially that Classics Starscream, it's literally head and shoulders over him and this time in a G1 colour scheme (what were they thinking with red wings?). Those detailed rotorfans on the chest, the etching in his first, and big long null rays. Consider me "sold" and my life will not be complete until I acquire him.

The hunt begins!

SharkyMcShark
5th March 2020, 12:28 AM
Wouldn't it be better to have MP Starscream standing along side it? At least that way a better comparison can be made when it comes to details.

Not really. Classics Starscream and WFCE Starscream are distinctly related from a design perspective, which was the entire point of the comparison.

Both MP Starscreams are not particularly related to this figure.

kovert
5th March 2020, 10:41 AM
Has Earthrise Starscream got a bit of a smirk? It would be appropriate, given the character's personality. :)

Sutton
5th March 2020, 07:33 PM
I suspected as much. :) But having said that - and as someone who prizes technical correctness - Voyager SS Starscream is basically an upsized version of the DOTM Deluxe. :p Yes, it's a whole new mould, but with so much shared engineering it comes across or feels like an upsize. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - I LOVE Studio Series Starscream. ROTF Voyager Starscream was a more "Voyager-like" design in terms of greater complexity and what not, but it was still clunky and just not as nice a toy as SS Starscream. SS Starscream brought elegance in its simplicity (which was by no means condescending). In fact, I initially passed up SS Starscream thinking not much of it until I played with someone else's... then I went straight to TRU and bought an SS Starscream for myself! :D

This is far less of an 'upscale' than SS Starscream...it is fair to say that it's inspired by the old Deluxe but there is a hell of a lot that is achieved in a different way - I was really surprised. The 'hand/forearm' transformation is pretty unique and not one I've seen on anything else before. And the legs, feet and tailfins work completely differently too. Even the central nose/chest transformation is familiar, but different -the head on this one is separate, which needed a re-design to achieve. Even the chest/back separation is done slightly differently.

doublespy
8th March 2020, 03:07 PM
Saw this in person and I can’t believe I’m saying this about an official Transformer, but the head sculpt feels off to me. For a G1 take of the character I much prefer the head sculpt on Siege Starscream even with that extra Armada vibe thrown in. This head just feels subpar compared to the rest of the Earthrise line.

reillyd
9th March 2020, 03:00 PM
I now have Starscream in hand, and have truly madly deeply fallen in love with the toy. The larger size of the Voyager mold means the plane 'fits' in my hand like G1 Starscream did as a kid. It feels huge compared to Universe/Classics seekers, and is just about as close to perfection as I could imagine. The one thing offputting is in robot mode, the lack of sticker decals but I'm sure that reprolabels are on it already.

Given the size/complexity of the mold (yes it shares design reuse, but the tooling cost is the biggest factor), they are going to need to milk it for the rest of the seeker brigade, so I'd expect easy recolours in future waves. I just hope they do a retool for characters like Thrust, Dirge.

I would like to see a smirking head though on a future release, and I can just do a head swap.

yoshi594
14th March 2020, 04:58 PM
Love this figure! Can?t wait for the skywarp/thundercracker reprints (pls don?t be exclusives).

My only gripe is that it looks like he has no landing gear...there?s plastic below the cockpit that looks like it could be the landing gear but it?s just the hinge that splits the plane head to hide his robot head.

Bemblebuu
14th March 2020, 05:33 PM
https://i.ibb.co/w6MXrvM/IMG-20200314-164747.jpg

Bought the figure but could not stand the plastic blocking almost half of his chest cockpit...so I cut it out and I think it looks loads better.

dirge
14th March 2020, 06:42 PM
Having seen Starscream in person now... I'm sticking with my initial assessment from pics; it's an improvement on Siege Screamer... but I prefer the Classics mould. That awkward gap above the chest vents just doesn't work for me.

Glad everyone else is enjoying him, though (:

Sutton
15th March 2020, 02:26 PM
Having seen Starscream in person now... I'm sticking with my initial assessment from pics; it's an improvement on Siege Screamer... but I prefer the Classics mould. That awkward gap above the chest vents just doesn't work for me.

Glad everyone else is enjoying him, though (:

Yeah, personally I love the new Screamer, but I can understand people not wanting to be bothered. Because now problem I'll have is having to track down 5 more versions of the same toy, and you can bet at least 2 of them will be hard to get hold of. As it was, 2 of my original CHUG seekers were high-end KO's.

Meister
16th March 2020, 10:57 PM
Just picked this guy up from a local Big W and in my personal opinion this is the best G1 Starscream toy made, I rate it better than MP11. Robot and Jet mode look awesome. I really hope they release a Thundercracker and Skywarp in this mould

Meister
16th March 2020, 11:02 PM
https://i.ibb.co/w6MXrvM/IMG-20200314-164747.jpg

Bought the figure but could not stand the plastic blocking almost half of his chest cockpit...so I cut it out and I think it looks loads better.

That looks exquisite!, does taking that section out result in any negatives in respect of stability and transformation? (I.e is the chest prone to pop out?, etc)

GoktimusPrime
17th March 2020, 09:32 AM
I rate it better than MP11.
Heh, that's not hard. None of the MP Seekers have ever been great toys. More like poseable and transformable display items. :rolleyes:

Bemblebuu
17th March 2020, 10:14 AM
That looks exquisite!, does taking that section out result in any negatives in respect of stability and transformation? (I.e is the chest prone to pop out?, etc)

I'd say it has very little impact on the stability of the figure and actually gives it a little bit of flexibility in the transformation process, as removing that bit makes it less rigid. I did have to add some red paint to cover the 'scars' though.

Ethel_Hallow
17th March 2020, 10:29 AM
I love this Starscream probably my favourite ever. It is everything the fans wanted; I can't wait to get mine. Hope they release the other seekers too, and to the world because seems the American's get all the fun and for us here we have to starve ourselves for Skywarps.

GoktimusPrime
17th March 2020, 09:10 PM
Approximate Size - Who owns rulers anymore?
I own rulers and measuring tape. I have a small pocket sized 5x5cm 2m long measuring tape that I keep in my drawer - only cost me a few bucks, ditto rulers.
Anyway, if you have another means of measuring stuff then by all means go ahead (even if it's just visual estimation), but I think sharing the size of the toy would be useful. I literally just clicked back on this thread to look for this toy's measurement and was surprised to not find it. :( (ditto on the ER Hoist review thread) Hopefully rulers and measuring tapes are still more abundant than dunny rolls atm. :p

Or heck, even if you take photos next to other Voyagers, then we can use those toys as a reference and estimate the size off those. Or just spend $2 on a ruler. :p

Meister
18th March 2020, 02:17 AM
I'd say it has very little impact on the stability of the figure and actually gives it a little bit of flexibility in the transformation process, as removing that bit makes it less rigid. I did have to add some red paint to cover the 'scars' though.

Cool I might pick up another one and perform the surgery :)

Meister
18th March 2020, 02:18 AM
I own rulers and measuring tape. I have a small pocket sized 5x5cm 2m long measuring tape that I keep in my drawer - only cost me a few bucks, ditto rulers.
Anyway, if you have another means of measuring stuff then by all means go ahead (even if it's just visual estimation), but I think sharing the size of the toy would be useful. I literally just clicked back on this thread to look for this toy's measurement and was surprised to not find it. :( (ditto on the ER Hoist review thread) Hopefully rulers and measuring tapes are still more abundant than dunny rolls atm. :p

Or heck, even if you take photos next to other Voyagers, then we can use those toys as a reference and estimate the size off those. Or just spend $2 on a ruler. :p

From floor to highest point in robot mode is approx 17cm

GoktimusPrime
18th March 2020, 08:50 PM
From floor to highest point in robot mode is approx 17cm
Domo arigato, Meister Robotto!

Tetsuwan Convoy
4th July 2020, 05:09 PM
picked one up on a bit of a whim and kind of feel him to be a bit underwhelming. I don't think it's a terrible toy, I just don't think it's all that fantastic either. More in depth thoughts here:
https://tetstoys.blogspot.com/2020/07/jp-earthrise-starscream-unboxing-and.html
But really to summarise, I don't feel it is that big of a jump from the old Classics figure.

Also like Dirge said, the shoulder gap irritates me no end.

shockNwave
5th July 2020, 06:06 AM
Heh, that's not hard. None of the MP Seekers have ever been great toys. More like poseable and transformable display items. :rolleyes:

MPs are made for display that's why they're aimed at the teen to adult markets. They're too expensive and detailed to be given the rough and tumble of regular toys.

On another note, I hope ER Dirge goes ahead and isn't just rumor.

GoktimusPrime
6th July 2020, 11:22 AM
MPs are made for display that's why they're aimed at the teen to adult markets. They're too expensive and detailed to be given the rough and tumble of regular toys.
Replied here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php/21428-The-Random-Transformers-Thoughts-Thread?p=628892#post628892). :)

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th July 2020, 02:49 PM
Saw some pictures of Skywarp and Thundercracker. Skywarp is missing his purple nose cone which has rather put me off wanting Skywarp. He just looks too plain without it (pun intended).

Now I am in two minds as to whether I should keep Starscream or not. I do like the jet mode, but is it enough to make me keep the whole toy?

Krayt
8th July 2020, 05:10 PM
Saw some pictures of Skywarp and Thundercracker. Skywarp is missing his purple nose cone which has rather put me off wanting Skywarp. He just looks too plain without it (pun intended).

Have to ask what your preferred view of Skywarp is based on... The original toy had a black nosecone, and most versions of him have black nosecone.... and the cartoon was black as well....

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th July 2020, 10:48 AM
Have to ask what your preferred view of Skywarp is based on... The original toy had a black nosecone, and most versions of him have black nosecone.... and the cartoon was black as well....

Veyr good question, whch made me need to research on my S/Warps.

As it turns out, my impressions of Skywarp come from his Robotmasters toy and the henkei henkei version. RM has a purple nose cone and henkei henkei has a nice Decepticon insignia on the nose cone. I guess my grumpy old man brain made the insignia on the nosecone as a purple nose cone.

With this information in hand, I could assume that if I put an insignia on his nosecone, that would suffice nicely. Which maybe I will. Starscream is also missing an insignia on his nosecone, which would also help him out as well. Hrmm, food for thought.
Thanks Krayt!
Do I have any spare Insignias floating around my house, that is the next question!

shockNwave
11th July 2020, 05:52 PM
Replied here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php/21428-The-Random-Transformers-Thoughts-Thread?p=628892#post628892). :)

I'm referring to rough and tumble kids such as preschoolers, preps and that psycho kid from Toy Story who breaks toys to create those freaky Frankenstein toys.

GoktimusPrime
11th July 2020, 05:58 PM
I'm referring to rough and tumble kids such as preschoolers, preps and that psycho kid from Toy Story who breaks toys to create those freaky Frankenstein toys.
Ah right. Well ER Starscream is for Ages 8+. Rescue Bots caters for preschoolers. :)