PDA

View Full Version : Myer to shut shop for 4 weeks

Autocon
27th March 2020, 09:26 PM
Myer is closing down for 4 weeks.

1AZRAEL1
28th March 2020, 07:37 AM
Sorry, but let em sink. They didn't even tell The workers, they found out from the media. What a joke.

Fungal Infection
28th March 2020, 02:03 PM
That might not necessarily be the fault of management, I work for a retailer and the social media/marketing department released a COVID-19 update prior to it getting the go-ahead on it because someone jumped the shark. The GM then sent out an email 30 minutes after it had been released and apologised profusely to all saying that the news was supposed to be broken to store teams first before the media release was supposed to be completed.

Bumblebee2000
28th March 2020, 03:06 PM
On one hand this should hurry along Myer's inevitable death

On the other hand they've really screwed over the majority of their workforce. 10k out of 14k apparently and I feel for all of them. The ones in the toy department have always been welcoming personally and that's a lot of people screwed over without pay.

reillyd
28th March 2020, 04:49 PM
Luckily they've doubled Newstart, because there's an awful lot of retail stores following suit across the country. I don't know how people managed on Newstart before, though, and how long the Corona supplement will last. I can't see Myer restarting back up and rehiring these people- it will probably file for bankruptcy because they're not going to get a white knight buyer.

Like Bumblebee said, the staff at Myers were really quite helpful, and a model for other retail stores to folllow. They deserve better.

1AZRAEL1
28th March 2020, 07:31 PM
Even if on restart, alot of businesses are gonna collapse because of this and no jobs to go back to. It's gonna be a tough.

As for someone jumping the shark and releasing it to the media, that to me that higher ups don't care for the workers as much as they should. Being in a job where our management are saying they're doing things to keep us safe, but failing at that, I don't have alot of faith. I could be wrong, but it's hard not despair.

Unicran
27th April 2020, 08:59 PM
Stores still temporarily closed for in store shopping. Bit of an update.

Our Stores
We are pleased to advise that we have opened Click & Collect from select stores, please check your local store status below to locate the temporary click and collect booth.
Click and collect booths will be open from Sunday 26th April, 10am – 5pm every day. Please ensure you await your confirmation email before coming to collect.
The health and safety of our customers, team members and our community are paramount to helping prevent the spread of COVID-19. As such our stores remain temporarily closed for shopping.

Skyfire
28th April 2020, 03:35 PM
The partial reopening is useful. I tried my luck at getting an Earthrise Astrotrain near the end of the recent 20% off Transformers sale by buying online (random pick between Optimus and Astro). And... I got my 3rd Optimus :). I was so sure I'd get an Astro after getting 2 OPs online in the previous sale. I'm glad the free shipping threshold got reduced.

Edit: I now realise my mistake - the gambler's fallacy: a run of OPs doesn't change the probability of getting an Astro (still 50:50). See you soon Myer!

Omega Metro
28th April 2020, 04:42 PM
The partial reopening is useful. I tried my luck at getting an Earthrise Astrotrain near the end of the recent 20% off Transformers sale by buying online (random pick between Optimus and Astro). And... I got my 3rd Optimus :). I was so sure I'd get an Astro after getting 2 OPs online in the previous sale. I'm glad the free shipping threshold got reduced.

Edit: I now realise my mistake - the gambler's fallacy: a run of OPs doesn't change the probability of getting an Astro (still 50:50). See you soon Myer!

I saw a Astrotrain at Toymate Cannington this morning if you get stuck with Myer.

Dimi194
28th April 2020, 04:57 PM

Esp bc it takes 3 weeks to get your $$ back if you use their ParcelPoint return service (already been 2 and that's what they told me when I called this morning, sigh).

Bumblebee2000
29th April 2020, 11:37 AM
So that's where all the Optimus' are

I mean I got one from Toyworld but

Seraphim Prime
29th April 2020, 04:08 PM

I'll buy that Optimus from you if you want to go that route instead of returning it.

Jetfire in the sky
29th April 2020, 07:03 PM
Myer has been a massive part of my life, from the amazing connected by multiple internal bridges to the five or six level buildings in Melbourne combined into one gigantic store with walls of He-Man and TF on an entire floor, (there may have been some Joe bollocks in there too) then to me finally moving from my retrospectively humble country life to the "bustling metropolis" of Albury/Wodonga where the Albury Myer was a true centrepiece of retail indulgence. Myer imho is a part of Oz, yes, I get that the retail landscape has changed and it seems to me international non-taxpaying corporations have taken over (#cough Amazon). When Myer opened in Townsville in the last eight years it was the best, great quality items but at a higher price, we were happy with that. They had items we couldn't get anywhere else and knew would last way longer.
We shouldn't crap on Myer right now, again imho. Youtube has recently realised the value of music on their medium, now they want to charge for YT premium to have no ads, this occurred around when Cobra Kai was released (I think) but going by the fact they released S1 and S2 free if you had the timing right their "premium" service was not well received. Myer, much like YT have not adjusted to the new model of retail.
As someone who has a seven year old daughter I have noticed that Myer's Mattel stock has some great sale prices, so these deals for the public would be coming from the company (Mattel) and not Myer. They have also had some mad TF products at insane prices but I think that comes down to them having too much stock, think Year of the whatever MP-10 Optimus Prime at $119 and even at $99 a few months later. We're toy nerds, their business model is a lot more complicated than we have any idea of.

Unicran
29th April 2020, 08:31 PM
Ah yes, Clearance pricing was always a double edged sword for me. Good price & trying to find one in minty box condition.

A mate’s wife use to work at Myer. She would let me know of upcoming toy sales. That’s what I miss.

Skyfire
29th April 2020, 11:26 PM
So that's where all the Optimus' are

I mean I got one from Toyworld but

I must be an OP magnet cos my first 2 came from Adelaide Myer!

Skyfire
29th April 2020, 11:34 PM
I'll buy that Optimus from you if you want to go that route instead of returning it.

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to see if I can swap him for Astro. Myer have the same internal bar code for each of their TFs in the same category, so technically Astro and OP are the same toy??? I guess I'll find out but I don't think I can do it at a click-and-collect booth. Will have to wait for the big reopening (they give you 30 days from then).

Skyfire
1st May 2020, 02:53 PM
I searched the net and discovered the earliest Myer will reopen is 11 May.

Bumblebee2000
2nd May 2020, 11:35 AM
I must be an OP magnet cos my first 2 came from Adelaide Myer!

Stealing it right out from under me, I had to go next door to Adelaide Toyworld you monster!

Skyfire
6th May 2020, 03:10 PM
5 Qld stores will be reopened on Friday - Chermside, Carindale, North Lakes, Townsville and Toowoomba.

Skyfire
13th May 2020, 04:00 PM
2 NSW stores have reopened - Bankstown, Liverpool.

Skyfire
14th May 2020, 11:19 PM
To reopen on Saturday:

NSW Miranda, Erine, Wagga Wagga, Albury and Dubbo
SA Tea Tree Plaza
WA Morley and Garden City

Skyfire
19th May 2020, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the offer but I'm going to see if I can swap him for Astro. Myer have the same internal bar code for each of their TFs in the same category, so technically Astro and OP are the same toy??? I guess I'll find out but I don't think I can do it at a click-and-collect booth. Will have to wait for the big reopening (they give you 30 days from then).

Had no problems swapping OP for Astro. The staff member just looked at the receipt and the internal Myer barcodes and simply swapped them. No register punching.

Skyfire
21st May 2020, 10:21 PM
Carousel, Joondalup, Blacktown, Eastgardens and Charlestown will reopen tomorrow (Friday). Most of the rest will reopen on Wed, including all Victorian. Karryinup will open Sat week due to refurbishment.

Unicran
27th May 2020, 11:25 AM
No cash transaction for in-store purchases.

Intimate apparel fitting service remain suspended.