PDA

View Full Version : Long time Lurker, first time poster...

d*r*j*
14th November 2008, 12:54 PM
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, my names Daniel... I guess you could call me a G1 purist. I'm one of those people that switched off after g1 and switched back on with the arrival of the 'Bay' movie.

I don't really have a collection and am not a tranformers completist by any means... but I have some nice classics... a few movie toys... a couple of masterpieces... and a few fixed, broken and sometimes incomplete survivors from the great g1 wars.

Will post some pics sometime soon.

My main problem atm it deciding whether or not to get the two exclusive coneheads recently announced. I love Dirge so much that I made one out of Ramjet... and Thrust is the missing member of the conehead crew (I have g1 thrust standing in).

My seekers break down like this;
Classics Starscream
Classics Skywarp (target)
Homemade Thundercracker (Classics Starscream repaint)
Classics Ramjet
Homemade Dirge (Classics Ramjet repaint / wing mod)

I just dunno if I can justify the $90 price...

Pulse
14th November 2008, 01:35 PM
Hey Mate! :) (Don't worry about the Lurker-thing - we were all lurkers at some point... :D)

Hereticpoo
14th November 2008, 01:36 PM
Welcome to the boards d*r*j*.

Instead of thinking, "Oh the price" for a new figure think "How much would I appreciate the figure?"

I'm kinda like you, I Love G1 and I'm not really fussed about any show that has come after. (Though I hate to admit I'm a sucker for the new Animated)

If a new figure is going to be something that makes you totally happy then buy it. (If its in budget range of course)

I like the new 2007 Movie and am looking forward to part 2. I like some of the movie toys, but have never purchased one. Why? Because I like other stuff more. Masterpiece, Re-issues, BinAlts, and even Animated and Revoltech.

Appreciation before Quantity, for me. And to the guys with massive collections I have nothing but respect. :)

Mr_K
14th November 2008, 01:37 PM
Firstly, welcome. I was a lurker for a year or so before I joined up too.

Secondly about justifying $90. I think justification always comes down to your own preferences. I by no means buy all transformers, I find it very hard to justify having 2 of a same mold, in fact the only time I have is with Masterpeice Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime and Starscream Japan and Starscream G1 Masterpieces and that was only because I got Ultra Magnus from Target first for $80 and I got the Japan Starscream first and then wanted one tough enough for me to transform more than once.

In the end, it comes down to what you collect. If you are a big fan of the seekers then I reckon go for it. However if the justification is more if you should spend the money on transformers at all or something else, like house deposit or something then that's a personal issue for sure :)

No doubt all here will have their sugestions lol, that's just my lose thoughts.

Again welcome, enjoy, share :)

optimus1
14th November 2008, 01:41 PM
Welcome to Ozformers!

Robzy
14th November 2008, 01:47 PM
Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong! :D

blackie
14th November 2008, 03:00 PM
welcome

Paulbot
14th November 2008, 03:07 PM
Welcome to another Transfan from my part of town.

The new Seekers are a pricey addition to your collection. Have you checked out the pictures of what the Henkei ones look like? That's been a deciding point for several people.

d*r*j*
14th November 2008, 03:10 PM
Firstly, welcome. I was a lurker for a year or so before I joined up too.

Secondly about justifying $90. I think justification always comes down to your own preferences. I by no means buy all transformers, I find it very hard to justify having 2 of a same mold, in fact the only time I have is with Masterpeice Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime and Starscream Japan and Starscream G1 Masterpieces and that was only because I got Ultra Magnus from Target first for $80 and I got the Japan Starscream first and then wanted one tough enough for me to transform more than once.

In the end, it comes down to what you collect. If you are a big fan of the seekers then I reckon go for it. However if the justification is more if you should spend the money on transformers at all or something else, like house deposit or something then that's a personal issue for sure :)

No doubt all here will have their sugestions lol, that's just my lose thoughts.

Again welcome, enjoy, share :)

Don't get me wrong... I got masterpiece optimus prime (MP-4) from target for $200, Ultimate Bumblebee from Target for $120 and masterpiece starscream from Toys r Us for $100... I can spend money on toys, especially Transformers.
But these guys are really small, not vintage and incredibly pricey. Even the regular seekers aren't cheap at the $25-30 they retail for in Australia.
Having said all that... I still want them.

d*r*j*
14th November 2008, 03:14 PM
Welcome to another Transfan from my part of town.

The new Seekers are a pricey addition to your collection. Have you checked out the pictures of what the Henkei ones look like? That's been a deciding point for several people.

Yeah, really like the Dirge... think the stripes are great. Like the 'anatomically correct' photoshops of Thrust. In general like the coneheads more than the original 3 seekers...

d*r*j*
14th November 2008, 03:17 PM
And thanks to everyone who has welcomed me.

iceburn
14th November 2008, 05:15 PM
welcome to the "club" drj

1orion2many
14th November 2008, 05:38 PM
:)Welcome to the Ozformers, lurking just helps you decide in your own time if you want to be a member of this loonie club;):D.

loophole
14th November 2008, 07:22 PM
Welcome Mate!!!

Omega Supreme
14th November 2008, 07:24 PM
Welcome to the forum.

jacksplatt11
14th November 2008, 07:29 PM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jacksplatt11/Alloallotitle.jpg

GoktimusPrime
14th November 2008, 07:46 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/wb3.jpg

STL
14th November 2008, 07:48 PM
Welcome aboard! Another Melbournian, I suspect. ;)

You're not alone in being a lurker. In my 1st two years of collecting, I was for the most part a lurker cos I didin't like many forums but eventually you find a nuthouse to join. :)

k.wong23
15th November 2008, 01:19 AM
Welcome buddy, enjoy the stay here :)

d*r*j*
15th November 2008, 01:34 AM
cheers guys

Vector Sigma 13
15th November 2008, 05:56 AM
Gday!

TheDirtyDigger
15th November 2008, 05:57 AM
Welcome dr. j! :)

Was actually thinking about buying a house or 5 down Cranny way as I heard there was some going cheap.

I guess you hit Karingal Big W and Frankston TRU for some TF bargains?

Wheel-J
15th November 2008, 06:54 PM
Mabuhay! Welcome to Ozformers! :)

liegeprime
15th November 2008, 10:33 PM
Wheel J already did my usual welcome :D hehehehe so a simple Welcome from me. :D:p

Oh about Classics Thrust, well Im sure you can do one yourself as youve said that you made dirge and Cracker already .For thrust well - very minor wingmod a bit and plenty of self convincing that its a VTOL thruster hehehe:D. I have for myself some customized Botcon seekers coz I wasnt ready to fork out big bucks then for those figs, but the Henkei ones have my wallet ready to bleed.:D anyways here's a photo of my customised Thrust ( courtesy of a very skilled member here in OTCA) with minor inputs from me as well, compared next to a botcon one ( courtesy of another fellow member here).

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Botcon%20Seekers%20Vs%20customs/TFcollection-Australianportion056.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Botcon%20Seekers%20Vs%20customs/TFcollection-Australianportion049.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Botcon%20Seekers%20Vs%20customs/TFcollection-Australianportion047.jpg

jaydisc
15th November 2008, 11:17 PM
Welcome!

Liege, that's quite awesome. I haven't seen that before.

liegeprime
15th November 2008, 11:23 PM
Liege, that's quite awesome. I haven't seen that before.

Sorry to hijack your thread here d*r*j*. jaydisc its Stencilator's first creation in the boards when he signed up. I immediately contacted him after his intro if he can do some custom job and these babies where his first ones hehehe. Second was the custom ratchet/ironhide from aan energon towline fig. I believe TDD has a same set of seeker beauties from the Stencilator as well.:D

d*r*j*
16th November 2008, 12:51 AM
Don't worry... I'm having major problems with cameras cables and my net... if not I'd be putting more pics up... I'll try some now...

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/RockNRoll138/adk098.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/RockNRoll138/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadan150.jpg

d*r*j*
16th November 2008, 01:17 AM
some more bad quality

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/RockNRoll138/Photo-0147.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/RockNRoll138/Photo-0145.jpg

d*r*j*
16th November 2008, 01:26 AM
Welcome dr. j! :)

Was actually thinking about buying a house or 5 down Cranny way as I heard there was some going cheap.

I guess you hit Karingal Big W and Frankston TRU for some TF bargains?

Fairly new to the area... just moved from Preston. It's kinda out in the edge of nowhere. Have always checked out Frankston TRU, a great place to snag the toy that is sold out everywhere else. Not sure about the Karingal Big W... where is that one? I go to the Big W in Fountain Gate.

d*r*j*
16th November 2008, 01:29 AM
Wheel-J
Scout Member Join Date: 3rd Nov 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mabuhay! Welcome to Ozformers!

pretty sure that MISB Classic Megatron you want lives in the Toy Kingdom in Fountain Gate shopping centre.

TheDirtyDigger
16th November 2008, 05:26 AM
Fairly new to the area... just moved from Preston. It's kinda out in the edge of nowhere. Have always checked out Frankston TRU, a great place to snag the toy that is sold out everywhere else. Not sure about the Karingal Big W... where is that one? I go to the Big W in Fountain Gate.

Karingal's closer to you than Fountain Gate. Check the Melways for it but don't worry about checking their Big W this week. I went there just yesterday....
Nice customs too!:)

Paulbot
16th November 2008, 10:46 AM
pretty sure that MISB Classic Megatron you want lives in the Toy Kingdom in Fountain Gate shopping centre.

Yes, they had four last time I checked

Karingal's closer to you than Fountain Gate. Check the Melways for it but don't worry about checking their Big W this week. I went there just yesterday....

I was thinking of going there today, thanks TDD you just saved me the trip. :)

autobreadticon
16th November 2008, 11:27 AM
Good to have a local in that Area, too many commies up North of Melbourne

Wheel-J
16th November 2008, 09:10 PM
Wheel J already did my usual welcome :D hehehehe so a simple Welcome from me. :D:p

hahaha!:D gotcha kuya! :D:D

Yes, they had four last time I checked

This is absolutely good news!:eek:

[...proceed to google map...]

ooooh.. it's an hour drive away.

I could get some hand here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=62668&postcount=19).

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/RockNRoll138/Photo-0145.jpg

You sure are a G1 purist! :)

d*r*j*
17th November 2008, 01:27 AM
well guys... I have decided not to get the new henkei coneheads.
It has been a troubling couple of days wrestling with the possibility of this (pre) purchase and I am very happy with the outcome.
It is the certainty of picking up a classics Cyclonus, and the chance that I may find an Acid Storm cheap enough to tempt... plus the strong suggestion of a Sunstorm in the not too distant future. To be honest that is more than enough decepticon jets for my collection. I only really collect what I can display, every figure I own is on display around me. I have no plastic containers filled with toys or display cabinets 3 or 4 figures deep. It sometimes worries me when I go to Big W and pick up a figure that is worth US$7.77 and I pay AU$23.88 for it... If I paid somewhere in the range of AU$100 for a figure of the same size and quality then I'm afraid my collecting would be going in the wrong direction.

STL
17th November 2008, 02:38 AM
Don't worry, man, I can sympathise w/ you completely. There have been times recently I feel like I want to sell off chunks of my collection so I can have more of it on display too and just concentrating on my core collecting habits but then I get sucked back in. :( And w/ spending $100 a fig, it has to really be something special to you too. if you're not feeling it, chances are, you don't want it enough so you're making the right decision. :)

TheDirtyDigger
17th November 2008, 07:39 AM
It sometimes worries me when I go to Big W and pick up a figure that is worth US$7.77 and I pay AU$23.88 for it... If I paid somewhere in the range of AU$100 for a figure of the same size and quality.....

Oh man I hate logic. :(

d*r*j*
17th November 2008, 10:50 AM
Don't worry, man, I can sympathise w/ you completely. There have been times recently I feel like I want to sell off chunks of my collection so I can have more of it on display too and just concentrating on my core collecting habits but then I get sucked back in. :( And w/ spending $100 a fig, it has to really be something special to you too. if you're not feeling it, chances are, you don't want it enough so you're making the right decision. :)

Yeah, trust me I'm not worried... it took a lot of thought to come to this decision, but I'm happy to be here. I will still pick up (as I said) more decepticon seekers and am really looking forward to masterpiece Grimlock. I also have the feeling that I have a reissue G1 Megatron in my future, something I have never owned.

GoktimusPrime
17th November 2008, 12:01 PM
Be aware that there are legal matters around owning a gun Transformer like G1 Megatron. Laws regarding the ownership of that toy differ between states and territories. e.g.: in NSW we require a replica firearms permit and the toy(s) must be in a locked display unit housed with secured premises (see here (http://www.megatron.net.au/) about NSW laws on gun Megatron ownership). I'm not familiar with Victorian laws in regard to this but it's something that I would recommend that you investigate when considering the purchase of a gun Transformer.

:)

d*r*j*
17th November 2008, 12:57 PM
Be aware that there are legal matters around owning a gun Transformer like G1 Megatron. Laws regarding the ownership of that toy differ between states and territories. e.g.: in NSW we require a replica firearms permit and the toy(s) must be in a locked display unit housed with secured premises (see here (http://www.megatron.net.au/) about NSW laws on gun Megatron ownership). I'm not familiar with Victorian laws in regard to this but it's something that I would recommend that you investigate when considering the purchase of a gun Transformer.

:)

I thought that was only the masterpiece version of that toy? Surely many people own G1 Megatron... thousands of children of the '80's for a start.

Pulse
17th November 2008, 01:01 PM
I thought that was only the masterpiece version of that toy? Surely many people own G1 Megatron... thousands of children of the '80's for a start.

Yeah but in the 80's, things were more innocent. That was the era before events like "Port Arthur" & you can't blame the Fed Government for changing the gun rules & regulations.

griffin
17th November 2008, 01:17 PM
Any 'replica weapon' in certain states is either illegal or has ownership restrictions (like in NSW). And even if it is okay to own one in your state (any of the TFs that turn into replica guns - Megatron (G1 and black recolour), MP Megatron, Browning), you could still get arrested for having it out in public, or on a flight (Federal jurisdiction).
If you are in a state that prohibits the ownership, keep it at home and it is best not to publically say that you have one, to prevent getting into any trouble later.

GoktimusPrime
17th November 2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah but in the 80's, things were more innocent. That was the era before events like "Port Arthur" & you can't blame the Fed Government for changing the gun rules & regulations.
Not really. Replica gun toys have always been illegal. I remember only seeing the G1 Megatron toy being sold here for a few months in late 84 and early 85 before the product was recalled by Hasbro in 1985. My mum read about it in the newspaper and told me about it, and it was also hot gossip in the school yard. Growing up I only ever knew one kid who had a Megatron toy because he managed to buy it before the product recall. It seems that Hasbro had chosen the Microman Walther P38 UNCLE Gun Robo toy as Megatron without realising that it conflicted with toy laws - thus having their product soon recalled.

Think back to all the kids you knew who played with Transformers in the 1980s when you were a child - how many of them owned Optimus Prime, Soundwave, Starscream etc. compared to how many that owned Megatron. It was a really rare toy even by G1 standards. And no other Transformer toy ever released in a Hasbro market has ever transformed into a realistic looking gun.

TheDirtyDigger
17th November 2008, 03:13 PM
I owned G1 Megatron as a kid. My dad and whole family were/are always been into guns and they were impressed. I was stoked when I got him in the box but a little miffed that he looked so ugly in bot mode. Wish I'd kept the box and inserts though.

gamblor916
17th November 2008, 03:31 PM
My friend bought a G1 Megatron in the late 80s from Kmart. The box was torn and not in great shape but the toy was otherwise new.

GoktimusPrime
17th November 2008, 03:38 PM
Okay, but my question was, how many kids (including yourself if relevant) did you know who were collecting Transformers in the 1980s had a Megatron compared to say Optimus Prime. Now granted that a heroic leader would be more popular than an evil leader, I personally found that there were way more kids who had an Optimus Prime compared to a Megatron... as I said, I only knew the one kid at my school who had a Megatron whereas every 2nd kid owned Optimus Prime.

TheDirtyDigger
17th November 2008, 03:51 PM
Not many kids I knew collected Tf's (they just weren't cool enough). Of say 6 or 7 that used to collect none had Optimus. Grimlock was probably the coolest Tf amongst our clique imo.

As for
Replica gun toys have always been illegal. I do remember that they were illegal but somehow my brother who is eight years younger than me had an arsenal of them purchased by my parents including battery operated Uzi's that made realistic sounds and smoked and an M16. My dad even made a weapons rack for him to display/store them all on.

PS Sorry dr.j for hijacking your thread.:o:)

d*r*j*
17th November 2008, 06:17 PM
With your replica Megatrons?

Okay... so G1 Megatron is illegal... how come there are no police raids on the collectable shops on chapel street? Come on... surely those prices are a hanging offence for a start.

A week or two ago I was in queensland and one of the news items was that the black market had managed to steal all the mangoes or something like that... was very strange. Can any members from queensland shed any light on this story? were the mangoes recovered?

dirge
17th November 2008, 06:42 PM
Okay... so G1 Megatron is illegal... how come there are no police raids on the collectable shops on chapel street? Come on... surely those prices are a hanging offence for a start.

I guess noone has brought them to Victoria Police's attention?

GoktimusPrime
17th November 2008, 06:47 PM
d*r*j: there are many known cases of Australian Customs having seized Megatron toys and detained them scheduled for termination. It primarily happened with Masterpiece Megatron, but G1 Megatron also falls under the same category and we know that Australian Customs are now actively looking for Megatron toys.

how come there are no police raids on the collectable shops on chapel street? Come on... surely those prices are a hanging offence for a start.
Perhaps the store was able to legally import the figure - again, I'm not familiar with Victorian laws regarding Megatron. I think a NSW store could import one if they had a Megatron Transformer replica firearms permit - and part of owning that permit means that the toy would have to be displayed in a locked unit in secured premises, e.g.: if it's on the ground level then windows must have grill/bars otherwise it can be displayed on an above-ground floor. Furthermore I think that they're supposed to be selling the toy to permit holders, but I'm not entirely sure about that. If you think the store is infringing the law then feel free to report them to the police and let them sort it out.

d*r*j*
17th November 2008, 08:41 PM
...and we know that Australian Customs are now actively looking for Megatron toys..

do you mean that they are actively looking for them in packages coming into the country or that they are actively looking for people who own them? I'm sure when they x-ray the package and it's a gun shape then they would lose their sense of humour anyway. I read a bit of the drama of confiscated masterpieces on the net... even as far as some of the legal stuff.

...If you think the store is infringing the law then feel free to report them to the police and let them sort it out.

My comments were a bit more light hearted than that... I'm not about to rat out a toy store, besides there are a few mentions of stores carrying the Mp-05 through-out this website.

dirge
17th November 2008, 09:28 PM
do you mean that they are actively looking for them in packages coming into the country or that they are actively looking for people who own them?

Customs work at point of entry. The raiding of homes would be left to police (if it came to that).

d*r*j*
18th November 2008, 02:49 PM
Customs work at point of entry. The raiding of homes would be left to police (if it came to that).

On border patrol customs raid people's homes side by side with the police... unless I'm thinking of the new zealand version of that show.
I honestly doubt that (aside from customs policy regarding importation and the possibility of a consumer complaint regarding stores that retail it) law emforcement does not and will not have any interest in this toy at all. Unless, of course, you try and rob your local milk bar with it.

GoktimusPrime
18th November 2008, 03:05 PM
That doesn't change the fact that gun Transformers like G1 Megatron are a prohibited item classified as a replica firearm, hence I think it is advisable for you to check with what legal procedures (according to your state/territory) you may have to comply with in order to legally import/own Megatron... otherwise as griffin said, it might be best not to talk about it on a public thread/forum. *cough*

d*r*j*
18th November 2008, 03:31 PM
Most of the talk is on the legality of the situation. Aside from my original statement of desire to obtain a toy (icon) from my childhood.
The store which was elluded to (and not named) advertises freely of the internet and carries more than one G1 megatron openly on store shelves and on their store website. It is not a secret.

TheDirtyDigger
18th November 2008, 03:43 PM
Most of the talk is on the legality of the situation. Aside from my original statement of desire to obtain a toy (icon) from my childhood.
The store which was elluded to (and not named) advertises freely of the internet and carries more than one G1 megatron openly on store shelves and on their store website. It is not a secret.

...and on Ebay.

jgon2098
18th November 2008, 06:37 PM
...and on Ebay.

lol

dirge
18th November 2008, 07:10 PM

That's up to them, and they're running a real risk in doing so. Whether or not they end up getting into any trouble for it... is their issue. They could be raided tomorrow. In which case, the proprietor will be in the poo :eek:

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but keep in mind that at present there is no legal avenue for owning Megatron toys in Victoria. Which sucks, but that's beyond our control.

If you plan to purchase Megatron/Masterpiece Megatron, that's your decision. Personally, I _do_ own these toys and have a permit to do so (which can be obtained in NSW). I'd love to see Victorians be able to own them legally as well, but the powers that be down there haven't been very responsive (http://www.megatron.net.au/MC_Masterpiece_MP05_VIC.htm) to our efforts to establish a legal avenue for ownership.

We _know_ that Firearms NSW do read this board from time to time and there's no reason why their Victorian counterparts couldn't do the same. I'd recommend against talking about it publicly, at least until the Victorian government establishes a permit system or something similar.

For your reference:

Board rules: (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=111)

15 - Do not advertise, promote or advertise any illegal activity. Ownership of Megatron (and Browning) toys is in this category.... This rule is for your own protection, as well as for other members.

Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay :)

d*r*j*
19th November 2008, 08:00 AM
For your reference:

Board rules: (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=111)

Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay :)

For your reference no-one has promoted or advertised an illegal activity.. Unless in some abstract way you can manipulate my first post regarding G1 megatron to fit that square peg into a round hole. Talking about why things are illegal and possible responses to people breaking laws are a completely different thing altogether... as a transformers website, surely this place should have information and articulate discusssion about toy censorship... especially when said censorship involves one of the 5 most iconic transformers in the history of transformers.

griffin
19th November 2008, 10:39 AM
For your reference no-one has promoted or advertised an illegal activity.. Unless in some abstract way you can manipulate my first post regarding G1 megatron to fit that square peg into a round hole. Talking about why things are illegal and possible responses to people breaking laws are a completely different thing altogether... as a transformers website, surely this place should have information and articulate discusssion about toy censorship... especially when said censorship involves one of the 5 most iconic transformers in the history of transformers.

He wasn't accusing you of anything. It is the responsibility of the board staff to make sure members, new AND old, are aware of the situation, to make sure that no one here gets themselves into trouble by not knowing. When it comes to potentially being arrested over a *toy*, it is better to be safe than sorry.
Not everyone reads the board rules (there are so many of them now), so we need to help out the members in other ways (like in this topic), so that people can own Megatron in some way, without getting into trouble over it.

d*r*j*
20th November 2008, 07:12 PM
Nice customs too!:)

I checked out the Karingal Big W the other day... probably the worst Big W I have ever been to... it reminded me of Kmart.

GoktimusPrime
20th November 2008, 07:16 PM
I've come to the same conclusion as you regarding Henkei Thrust and Dirge... they're just too expensive for a pair of Deluxes, I don't care how limited they are. *sigh* :/

d*r*j*
20th November 2008, 10:47 PM
It really is a shame... the classic seeker mold is, in my opinion, the jewel in the classics line. The triple changers are flawed, the leaders (megatron and galvatron) are both huge compromises, Soundwave is pretty much G1 and I... ummm... don't own the larger universe figures. The Autobots are better, but most people have at least 1 valid complaint each figure... could be wrong, most people liked Jetfire.

The seekers were simple, intelligent, complete and beautiful... Until Hasbro didn't see a future. Now we have on set of exclusives with poor imagination (the botcon set) and a further set of exclusives in a period of (apparent) extreme decline in quality control. For the price of a masterpiece transformer you can get a deluxe that will have numerous manufacturing flaws and a 'classics' theme (because funpub were to dull to think of one for theres). Yes they are beautiful toys... I would pay $29.99 at myer or maybe even $50 at toys r us... but... not... a hundred dollars.

GoktimusPrime
21st November 2008, 07:42 AM
I didn't like Classics Soundwave because:
1/ Being a G1 mould, it looks out of place in the Classics line.
2/ Blue Soundblaster =/= Soundwave IMO.

I sold my Classics Soundwave quickly after getting Encore Soundwave. :)

d*r*j*
21st November 2008, 09:42 AM
hehe I liked classics Soundwave because

1. I had never owned a Soundwave toy. Even though the chest is wrong, it's still good to me.

2. He not only came with Laserbeak.. but also Ravage. Owning Ravage was very important to me.

TheDirtyDigger
21st November 2008, 10:19 AM
hehe I liked classics Soundwave because

1. I had never owned a Soundwave toy. Even though the chest is wrong, it's still good to me.

2. He not only came with Laserbeak.. but also Ravage. Owning Ravage was very important to me.

I like my Commemorative Soundwave better than my G1 Soundwave just coz he looks better IMO. Love that big manly chest. Also I painted his eyes red so he looks even cooler. In my Classics line I have the MP3 Soundwave standing in with the reprolabels upgrade.

Pulse
21st November 2008, 12:23 PM
I like my Commemorative Soundwave better than my G1 Soundwave just coz he looks better IMO. Love that big manly chest.

ditto :) But if he'd had a chest big enough to fit all 3 original cassettes at once... *drool* :D

GoktimusPrime
21st November 2008, 12:47 PM
Well, I already had original G1 Soundwave and reissue Soundblaster long before Hasbro reissued Soundwave, so when I got that toy I was sorely disappointed with it. I wanted a reissue so that I could "retire" my original G1 and have a reissue to play with. I already have Soundblaster, so I didn't need another version of that mould - and quite frankly, I see them as different incarnations anyway (like Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime). As for Ravage, I already had original G1 Ravage and reissue Ravage (that came with TFC Soundblaster) so I didn't need a 3rd G1 Ravage at all. Anyway, I got Encore Soundwave now so I'm happy. :)

I took these pictures of G1, Encore and Classics Soundwave before I sold off my Hasbro reissue Soundwave.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/soundwaves-1.jpg

TheDirtyDigger
21st November 2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah my Commemorative Soundwave doesn't really fit into any of my lines (coz G1 goes with G1 and MP3 goes with Classics) so he just stays with me and my pc.

Got Soundblaster as well but he's still MISB until I get around to watching the Japanese G1 cartoons.

JuzMel
24th November 2008, 01:03 PM
hehehe I'm too lazy to read all the previous posts, and sorry for the late welcome (yay another melbournian!), I was a lurker as well in the beginning, only here to check out the sightings thread, but now it seems a loooonggggg time since I've been here.

If you have friends from overseas or you are planning to go overseas, Singapore has Henkei Dirge and Thrust for SGD$160 a pair or $135 per pair if you pre-order before 30 Nov. ;)

d*r*j*
24th November 2008, 04:06 PM
is that 135 american dollars?

that is way too much!

At the moment I have 6 seekers;
Classics Starscream
Classics Skywarp Target exclusive
Homemade Classics Thundercracker (Starscream re-paint)
Classics Acid Storm
Classics Ramjet
Homemade Classics Dirge (Ramjet wing mod/ re-paint)

Yeah I found an Acid Storm and eventually caved in.

But with:
Classics G1 Starscream coming out within a month or so...
Classics Cyclonus in the same wave as G1 ss...
Classics Sunstorm already strongly hinted at...

I just don't have the energy to pay $100 each for these... it's just not worth it...

d*r*j*
24th November 2008, 04:21 PM
I know it's a shabby state of affairs... and I don't mean to bring a downer to the excitement of these pre-orders, it's even possible that when these things eventually come out (march isn't it?) I might not be able to resist... but wtf? This isn't a normal way to do things and it certainly isn't doing anything to draw me into the Henkei brand.

I'm not into Henkei because I'm assuming that the best price I can get these for is about AU$50, double what I aready paid for the classics figures... even with ebay and luck it seems the best price is around the $40 mark.

GoktimusPrime
24th November 2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah, atm with the dismal rate of the AUD vs JPY AU$40 is the best I've been able to get for Henkei, although that is including shipping. I believe mel is quoting Singaporean Dollars.

d*r*j*
25th November 2008, 12:32 PM
I must have mis-read mel's post. I thought she said SGD160 = US$135... but she said SGD160 or SGD135 for early pre-order... nevermind... how does SGD stack up against US$ or AU$??

It's a shame because I have quite a decepticon army of classic deluxes.

Never really did like car transformers that much... even as a child when I had an autobot allegiance. Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Slag, Superion, Defensor... even now I only really have Sunstreaker and Hot Rod Classics... Although I do have 2 Hot Rods as I needed the Starscream out of a 2 pack. Will buy Mirage when I see him coloured as Dragstrip... that mold finally appeals to me now. Might buy Bumblebee if I see that 3 pack in K mart.

TheDirtyDigger
25th November 2008, 12:49 PM
I'm up to 9 Decepticon Seeker Classics that will very soon grow to 16.

-Henkei Starscream
-Classics Skywarp
-Custom Thundercracker
-Classics Ramjet
-Custom Dirge
-Custom Sunstorm
-Classics Acid Rain
-Custom Bright Green Rainmaker (Sidestreaker)
-Custom Yellow Rainmaker (Sunswipe)

and soon to get...

-Henkei Ramjet (who when I get will mean Classics Ramjet is getting renamed)
-Henkei Dirge (same as above)
-Henkei Thrust
-Custom Thrust (who is being renamed as well...)
-Custom Nightfall
-Custom Clusterf*** (in Essendon Bomber colours)
-Custom Bright Purple Rainmaker (Purple Rain)

Yeah I love my 'con jets as well.:)

d*r*j*
25th November 2008, 01:19 PM
Do you display all of those jets?

Can I ask you a question... Aside from the chrome and different paint apps are there any real differences when you compare say Henkei SS with Universe Acid Storm... is one heavier or of a different quality?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/RockNRoll138/Photo-0160.jpg

TheDirtyDigger
25th November 2008, 01:28 PM
Do you display all of those jets?

Can I ask you a question... Aside from the chrome and different paint apps are there any real differences when you compare say Henkei SS with Universe Acid Storm... is one heavier or of a different quality?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/RockNRoll138/Photo-0160.jpg

At the moment they are all displayed on top of our piano which I think really pi$$es my wife off but she's good enough not to say anything. We're currently in temporary residence for at least another eight months *sigh* while our building gets major upgrades done so display space is at a premium.

I can't say there's a noticeable difference in the weight of Henkei/Hasbro but the plastic seems to be of a crappier quality with Hasbro. That said Acid Storm doesn't seem too bad at all.

d*r*j*
25th November 2008, 01:46 PM
Yeah that's why I specified... you don't have classics starscream?? Did you sacrifice him to a custom or something? I know that when classics G1 starscream is released I will purchase and display with the normal classics one...
Are you getting Henkei Ramjet cheap?

TheDirtyDigger
25th November 2008, 01:51 PM
Haha...yeah my loose Classics Starscream is now a very delicious Sunstorm. I still have one sealed on the card but I think it's gunna stay sealed. Also have a sealed Classics Ramjet but he too is staying where he is.
Henkei Ramjet I got for I think $33.35 from memory or possibly $30.35.
Iceburn can correct me if I'm wrong.

d*r*j*
25th November 2008, 02:03 PM
Haha...yeah my loose Classics Starscream is now a very delicious Sunstorm. I still have one sealed on the card but I think it's gunna stay sealed. Also have a sealed Classics Ramjet but he too is staying where he is.
Henkei Ramjet I got for I think $33.35 from memory or possibly $30.35.
Iceburn can correct me if I'm wrong.

Never ever really got my head around moc or misb collectables... I'm the guy who would rather play the $200 test press of a vinyl than the $10 cd. Is the Ramjet part of a ozformers bulk order or something? For that price I would definately consider buying one, for the pretty red wings and to put my curiousity about quality to bed once and for all...

TheDirtyDigger
25th November 2008, 02:33 PM
Never ever really got my head around moc or misb collectables... I'm the guy who would rather play the $200 test press of a vinyl than the $10 cd. Is the Ramjet part of a ozformers bulk order or something? For that price I would definately consider buying one, for the pretty red wings and to put my curiousity about quality to bed once and for all...

I love to open mine too but I think some look awesome in the packaging and if that's the case and cash flow allows I'll grab two. That said I have nearly the complete movie line all MOSC (and only one of each) coz generally I think they are crap and drab figures and look better in the box.

And yep....Henkei Ramjet was an Ozformer group buy from Robot Kingdom.

d*r*j*
25th November 2008, 02:55 PM
Is RK generally the cheapest way to go? How about the japanese stores in Box Hill... any good??

TheDirtyDigger
25th November 2008, 03:47 PM
Uhhh I think so but I'm not the one that does the orders. Throw some questions in the other areas and some of the more knowlegable folk will let you know who's cheapest and where it's at.

Never go out to Box Hill...they got that whole alcohol restriction thing going on out there so it's been designated a wasteland on my map.

GoktimusPrime
25th November 2008, 04:10 PM
Box Hill has Animezone which - last time I checked (admittedly a very long time ago) - stocked Transformers. Some of their prices were pretty steep whilst others were kinda okay. I think it's worth checking out at least if it's not too much trouble for you go get there.

d*r*j*
26th November 2008, 12:34 AM
just managed to get the camera to work once more. don't really consider myself a collector in the completist sense... well not were transformers are concerned anyway. but I've been going on about the seekers...
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/RockNRoll138/15ore.jpg

Wheel-J
26th November 2008, 07:00 AM
Nice decepticon set you have there mate!
Really cool!

For me, galvy complements the set in place of blitzwing.:)

d*r*j*
26th November 2008, 10:19 AM
Nice decepticon set you have there mate!
Really cool!

For me, galvy complements the set in place of blitzwing.:)

I'm guessing the release of Cyclonus will make Galvatron look more at home. Not sure if Thundercracker is done yet in jet mode, I'm happy with his look as a 'bot... might go to a hobby shop and invesigate model plane stickers. Am mainly interested in a kind of shark teeth thing for him. Might also add more red paint (or maybe orange) to starscream when I pick up the classics G1 version... but this is still open because after a few licks of paint... he's a really strong character now.

Also 'forgot' to add laserbeak and ravage and kinda didn't transform that back fin on Astrotrain properly.

blackie
30th November 2008, 10:04 PM
animezone has a few things, but mainly just the encore line. if your looking for things like henkei then the internet is the way to go imo