PDA

View Full Version : A bit confused today.

MV75
15th November 2008, 12:27 AM
:)

Anyway, so I go to netbank today, and I found a deposit for $119.xx in my account from "ANZ BANK" that went in yesterday. I have no idea who it was, and the account number has many 0's in it.

So um yea, free money.

iceburn
15th November 2008, 12:29 AM
:)

Anyway, so I go to netbank today, and I found a deposit for $119.xx in my account from "ANZ BANK" that went in yesterday. I have no idea who it was, and the account number has many 0's in it.

So um yea, free money.

it must have been me.... :D
*haha* lucky deposit but beware that if that silly someone did know it went to the wrong account...it might be withdrawn out (not sure how but the bank might)

Pulse
15th November 2008, 12:32 AM
Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers... ;) :D

STL
15th November 2008, 12:38 AM
The banks do have a right to get it back but the issue is whether they are willing to as often its a complicated process. We looked at this in banking law last year IIRC and there's an uphill battle if you are the person who sent it incorrectly. However, if its one of the banks major clients or the bank itself, I'd be weary.

You also have no defence now if you spend the money b/c you have acknowledged your receipt of it as unusual and therefore you cannot use the defence of change of position since the moment you spend it now, you are spending money you know is not yours.

jacksplatt11
15th November 2008, 12:45 AM
Maybe this guy gave it to you?

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jacksplatt11/MatthewLesko.jpg

MV75
15th November 2008, 01:08 AM
Yea I think they just have to demand it back, I don't think they have the authority to just take it.

But that said, I'm not touching it, I'm working around it, so if a demand does come along, they can have it.

But another thought, it actually might be my first days pay from my new job I just started earlier this week. I wasn't expecting it yet though because I was late with some paperwork, so yea, I'll leave it for now and chase it up Monday. It just seemed strange as well that the account number is basically all 0's.

Borgeman
15th November 2008, 01:19 AM
Yea I think they just have to demand it back, I don't think they have the authority to just take it.

But that said, I'm not touching it, I'm working around it, so if a demand does come along, they can have it.

if they screwed up, apparently they can just take it back and let you know of the error. also (apparently from what ive been told), if you knowingly spend that money, it could be looked upon as stealing from the bank....

or so ive been told (i once asked wat would happen if you suddenly foung like 100k in your account and said nothing :o)

George

GoktimusPrime
15th November 2008, 08:48 AM
Oh yeah, that was me. Can I have it back? :p :p

Tiby
15th November 2008, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't spend it and see what happens. If it looks too god to be true...

dirge
15th November 2008, 09:26 PM
The bank cannot simply _demand_ it - at least not at first. You do need to consent. Having said that, the bank can force the issue later on.

You're doing the right thing by working around it. It's not worth getting an overdrawn fee later down the track if the bank takes it after you've spent it.