PDA

View Full Version : eBAY seller rights

k.wong23
19th November 2008, 12:20 AM
Hey all, just wanting some advice from you guys on the following matter.

I sold a pair of shoes on ebay on the 22nd October which a guy from the U.K purchased. In my auction I had a flat rate of $40 AUD air mail for international post (no tracking just regular) and he paid straight after the auction through paypal. I posted it out on the 23rd or so.

Long story short to this date he claims not to have received them and wants a full refund.

I have proof of post from the P.O, but what do I do?

It's a hefty value of $350 AUD.

He may be lieing, but may be genuine... 50/50

is it not his fault for not asking for registered/ tracking ? Am I liable?

jgon2098
19th November 2008, 01:06 AM
Hey all, just wanting some advice from you guys on the following matter.

I sold a pair of shoes on ebay on the 22nd October which a guy from the U.K purchased. In my auction I had a flat rate of $40 AUD air mail for international post (no tracking just regular) and he paid straight after the auction through paypal. I posted it out on the 23rd or so.

Long story short to this date he claims not to have received them and wants a full refund.

I have proof of post from the P.O, but what do I do?

It's a hefty value of $350 AUD.

He may be lieing, but may be genuine... 50/50

is it not his fault for not asking for registered/ tracking ? Am I liable?

AS SOON AS YOU READ THIS MESSAGE, GET YOUR MONEY OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT ASAP VIA A BANK ACCOUNT (ASSUMING HE HASN'T ALREADY LAUNCHED A DISPUTE WITH PAYPAL YET)

Proof of shipment is usually not enough for the seller.

Paypal will most likely side with the buyer if he steps up to a claim.

And you will be 350 AUD short.

My suggestion to you right now if you want to protect your 350, is to take ur money out of ur paypal account ASAP via a bank account. Once the dispute is filed. Your money will get frozen. And the decision will most likely goto him, then the money will be dumped back into his account.

However, ur ebay account will most likely be suspended forever if paypal finds out that there is no money in ur account to dump back into the buyers account. Then you will have to becareful with setting up a new account. Ebay is very tricky, in particular with their IP tracking, but it can be done.

I dont know how much it costed to ship the shoes to the u.k. but if the 40 AUD was enough to cover both the shipping costs + tracking, you should have tracked it, so you can protect yourself from pathetic cons.

k.wong23
19th November 2008, 09:30 AM
jgon - the $40 was not even enough for regular air mail so I did pay extra.

Here's what the buyer replied:

As I understand it, if you have proof of postage, you can take the matter up with the post office to reclaim the cost of the item. As postal insurance wasn't an option when I paid for the shoes, the responsibilty for the item lies with you.

I do believe you have sent them, but as you said before, it is alot of money for a pair of shoes, especially if they do not turn up.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Of course I would allow postage insurance if someone asked for it why on earth wouldn't I???

It was his decision to be in such a rush and pay without asking me to adjust shipping costs.

Also with taking out money of my paypal account, should I unlink my bank accounts? I only have a couple of USD cents in paypal atm but are you saying I should withdraw my money also from my bank account?

TheDirtyDigger
19th November 2008, 09:38 AM
jgon - the $40 was not even enough for regular air mail so I did pay extra.

Here's what the buyer replied:

Of course I would allow postage insurance if someone asked for it why on earth wouldn't I???

It was his decision to be in such a rush and pay without asking me to adjust shipping costs.

Also with taking out money of my paypal account, should I unlink my bank accounts? I only have a couple of USD cents in paypal atm but are you saying I should withdraw my money also from my bank account?

Nah they cant touch your bank account. Just your paypal.

k.wong23
19th November 2008, 09:45 AM
Nah they cant touch your bank account. Just your paypal.

I also have linked my Debit Mastercard stew...is this an issue?

1orion2many
19th November 2008, 10:14 AM
I think the real problem is deciding if the guy is genuine or not, because of his quick payment I think he most probably is genuine. You also have to look at it this way, If it was the other way around wouldn't you want a full refund. People on this board have been on the other end with paying for an item and not receiving it, if I remember correctly they were having problems getting their money back for exactly the same reason which has been suggested to you which is removing all your money out of your Paypal account(which yours is empty anyway). Just think how you would feel if you were the buyer and make a decision. Next time you sell something don't give the cheap option postage to overseas buyers, only give them a trackable postage quote only and save the cheaper option for domestic postage(hindsight is a wonderful thing). Sometimes cheap air can take 4-5weeks so see if he'll hold out for another week or two as it may still show up. Good luck sorting this out.

STL
19th November 2008, 10:27 AM
I feel for u, man. It's one of the reasons why whenever I send anything I always insist on something that is trackable. People hate it but its totally necessary to avoid being scammed as people like that do exist out there.

TheDirtyDigger
19th November 2008, 11:16 AM
I also have linked my Debit Mastercard stew...is this an issue?

Not sure mate. I would assume it's not. Paypal have no legal right to touch your Debit Mastercard.

I don't trust this guy. He knows he paid alot for a pair of shoes. It was his fault for paying too quickly without requesting insurance or a tracking number. He knows he is likely to get his money back whether he got the shoes or not.
I smell Nigerian email scam here.

k.wong23
19th November 2008, 11:44 AM
I can understand from his viewpoint orion, but either way it woud seem one side would lose...

Generally if I am purchasing something overseas I will always ask if tracking is available even if not stated on the auction, its just common sense to have it considering anything over $100 is valuable. This guy probably thought $40 shipping was a bargain and considering he already paid so much for these shoes, did not justify insurance.

I will go to the P.O to see what can be done which I doubt is much.

Anyways thanks for the help all you guys, I will clear my paypal out, it is not a big loss if I lose my ebay account...I will just use my brothers :)

Pulse
19th November 2008, 01:29 PM
Anyways thanks for the help all you guys, I will clear my paypal out, it is not a big loss if I lose my ebay account...I will just use my brothers :)

That's what I'd recommend too :). More than likely Ebay will side with the Buyer & overall - it's much smarter to cover all your bases instead of taking a $350 risk. ;)

JuzMel
19th November 2008, 03:01 PM
If I were you, I will un-link all my accounts with PayPal NOW! And YES Paypal does HAVE the right to withdraw funds from your bank account and charge your credit card ANYTIME they like. I recently had a buyer dispute as well because the fella I sold the O2 phone to didn't know how to operate it and so disputed for a refund.

And as everyone says, he won the case as PayPal ALWAYS sides in buyer's direction. Now boy was I annoyed, I had no funds in my PayPal account and freaking PayPal actually had the nerve to charge my credit card for the refund even BEFORE the phone was shipped back to me. I was so pissed off with the matter. I emailed them countless times and no email was promptly replied. I have since un-link all my accounts from them, leaving only an expired credit card on file now.

They refunded the money to the guy and yet still have the nerve to claim the service fee from me. So of course I demanded the money back even though it's only a miserable AUD$9.11, but even if it's a few cents I'm not letting them earn it. And they have still YET to refund me that service fee.

PAYPAL = SCAMMERS: Steal money from you very quickly, return money to you takes forever.

I have no choice but to use PayPal still because of the silly ebay rule. But I have decided to use the funds I have in future for purchases and no way am I linking any accounts back with them.

TheDirtyDigger
19th November 2008, 03:11 PM
That sounds $#!tty Mel. I think you should contact your credit card provider to get the money back from Paypal.

k.wong23
20th November 2008, 09:53 PM
And so the paypal battle begins, he began a dispute and paypal has deducted '$346 AUD paypal' money. Lucky I unlinked all bank accounts and my debit card as Mel suggested :)

Will try to reason with them but the outcome to me seems bleak.

Eruntalon
21st November 2008, 11:34 AM
Next time you sell something don't give the cheap option postage to overseas buyers, only give them a trackable postage quote only and save the cheaper option for domestic postage(hindsight is a wonderful thing). Sometimes cheap air can take 4-5 weeks...

I've had people waiting for items I've sent to the UK for much longer than this and they still got them in the end. Surface mail is a lot slower than 4-5 weeks on occasion. Just think of all the pirates these days commandeering the ships and what not :)

I also had to wait three months for an item sent by the cheapest surface mail from Canada, but I got it in the end.

Pulse
21st November 2008, 01:55 PM
I also had to wait three months for an item sent by the cheapest surface mail from Canada, but I got it in the end.

Reminds me of this one time when a US Seller asked me to return a sealed Beastie to him (he got my package & someone else's mixed up) by instructing my PO to mark it "Return to Sender" (didn't cost me anything). To cut a long story short - it took nearly 3 months to reach him :eek: Talk about taking its time... :rolleyes:

k.wong23
2nd December 2008, 08:48 PM
It went as I had anticipated, in favour of buyer.

Oh well guess I am not using my own paypal anymore for ebay.

TheDirtyDigger
2nd December 2008, 08:50 PM
Did you lose any money Kev?

k.wong23
2nd December 2008, 08:58 PM
Nah just my Paypal balance is in the negative...

I unlinked all bank accounts and cards.

I bet he is laughing knowing he got the pair of shoes and his money back.

Well time for me to lodge a lost parcel complaint anyways

blackie
2nd December 2008, 09:04 PM
if they didnt get any money from you, he still gets his money?

jgon2098
2nd December 2008, 09:07 PM
if they didnt get any money from you, he still gets his money?

Its situational i think...

I was frauded a few weeks ago for 200usd

Havent managed to recoup that from paypal atm even though the dispute went my way. Likewise the seller cleaned out his account.

Kyle
2nd December 2008, 09:23 PM
If I were you, I will un-link all my accounts with PayPal NOW! And YES Paypal does HAVE the right to withdraw funds from your bank account and charge your credit card ANYTIME they like. I recently had a buyer dispute as well because the fella I sold the O2 phone to didn't know how to operate it and so disputed for a refund.

And as everyone says, he won the case as PayPal ALWAYS sides in buyer's direction. Now boy was I annoyed, I had no funds in my PayPal account and freaking PayPal actually had the nerve to charge my credit card for the refund even BEFORE the phone was shipped back to me. I was so pissed off with the matter. I emailed them countless times and no email was promptly replied. I have since un-link all my accounts from them, leaving only an expired credit card on file now.

They refunded the money to the guy and yet still have the nerve to claim the service fee from me. So of course I demanded the money back even though it's only a miserable AUD$9.11, but even if it's a few cents I'm not letting them earn it. And they have still YET to refund me that service fee.

PAYPAL = SCAMMERS: Steal money from you very quickly, return money to you takes forever.

I have no choice but to use PayPal still because of the silly ebay rule. But I have decided to use the funds I have in future for purchases and no way am I linking any accounts back with them.

All these horror stories... I guess I'm still not ready to lose my eBay virginity yet... (as a seller...)

TheDirtyDigger
2nd December 2008, 10:01 PM
All these horror stories... I guess I'm still not ready to lose my eBay virginity yet... (as a seller...)

I send everything by registered post now to avoid this.