PDA

View Full Version : Retro Headmasters coming to Target Australia

griffin
21st January 2021, 08:55 PM
The Retro Headmasters weren't on any lists of expected upcoming toys for Australia in the last few months, so it was a surprise to be told today... we are supposed to be getting them in Australia. (YAY!!!)
Both waves if there aren't any unforeseen problems in the next few months. (that's the usual disclaimer, as nothing can be guaranteed for Australia until the stock arrives in the country)

The first wave of four (Chromedome, Hardhead, Brainstorm, Mindwipe) should be in Target by early March.
The second wave of three (Highbrow, Skullcruncher, Weirdwolf) should be in Target in the second half of the year.

So it's a bit like the Buzzworthy Bumblebee toys... if you are willing to wait, the toys will be here about 2-3 months after America and Asia. And if you aren't willing to wait, or fear missing out (or just don't have a Target handy... or expect Target prices to be shocking), import them when they get released overseas.

Wave 1...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2021/012101.jpg

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2021/012102.jpg

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2021/012103.jpg

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2021/012104.jpg

Wave 2...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2021/012105.jpg

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2021/012106.jpg

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2021/012107.jpg

optimus1
21st January 2021, 09:01 PM
Oh wow!
Can't wait for this, was thinking of getting a couple online.
But in-store will be much better :)

Brainstorm here I come!

Gehirn
21st January 2021, 09:08 PM
Hopefully the 'vintage' tag line doesn't make these any more expensive than their previous price.

Flukey
21st January 2021, 09:10 PM
I find Target as the store of choice a little confusing because many are either closing down or being converted to Kmart, will Kmart end up carrying these when the brand closes? https://www.9news.com.au/national/target-australia-timeline-for-store-closures-and-conversions-to-kmart/1a4b0772-c9be-4743-b000-6a72ce1b65cb

Jaxius._
21st January 2021, 09:36 PM
I find Target as the store of choice a little confusing because many are either closing down or being converted to Kmart, will Kmart end up carrying these when the brand closes? https://www.9news.com.au/national/target-australia-timeline-for-store-closures-and-conversions-to-kmart/1a4b0772-c9be-4743-b000-6a72ce1b65cb

That’s a good question. Though not all are closing/being converted

I feel like i picked a bad time to upsize my headmasters from deluxe to voyager. Guess i could just sell brainstorm and get this one

griffin
21st January 2021, 09:43 PM
Hopefully the 'vintage' tag line doesn't make these any more expensive than their previous price.

I hope not... and their retail price in America at Walmart was US$23, which is between their Deluxe and Voyager pricing... so I would expect about AU$40 here.
Even though it has a Deluxe sized toy in the box, the US pricing is a fair bit more than Deluxe pricing, and the big fancy box is worth the extra dollars.
Besides, we have retailers here selling Deluxe figures for $40... so I wouldn't have a problem with paying $40-45 for each. It would still cost a lot more to import them.

I'm more concerned about them being in Target, which like Kmart, is going to have a lot of sticky little fingers probing the boxes that won't buy them, but will damage them for us collectors.
Or... they do like Kmart and damage the box or flap with security string. (something I need to warn the Hasbro person about... particularly if they want to get more Reissues in for Kmart)

Hmmm... I'm not sure about the stores being converted to "K Hubs" as one of the concept images has the Target logo at the customer service desk, suggesting that you would probably still be able to click-and-collect from the Target website to that location... if the site doesn't stick with randomly selected items, making it too risky.
The article does note that most of the Target stores disappearing or being converted are in regional areas, which will make it harder for fans outside of major cities securing exclusives. They do note that the Target brand is not going anywhere, and that they will be increasing their online side of things, so if they can offer some sort of free shipping option, the products could still be acquired domestically... provided they list things by individual item, and not by assortment or size (randomly picked).

i_amtrunks
21st January 2021, 11:14 PM
Didn't even know these were coming, so it's a very lovely surprise. Target getting them isn't great, but at least they still do have sales on transformers overall from time to time.
I know I'm a pessimist but I expect these will be more than $40-$45 here. We very rarely get good exchange prices.

Skyfire
21st January 2021, 11:31 PM
More G1 exclusives. Ha ha haahaa haaaha ha haahaa!!!!

Omega Metro
21st January 2021, 11:59 PM
I still have these exact TR figures in bags somewhere that I can’t sell/nobody wants.

Dogboy
22nd January 2021, 07:26 PM
I was hoping these weren't going to hit Aus, if for only one reason.. that being I wouldn't have to decide if I was going to get them or not. They do look nice!

Keidatron
30th January 2021, 09:23 AM
I?d rather them reissue the original headmasters instead repacking the TR figures though,

Skyfire
18th February 2021, 03:24 PM
Now available. Check your stores/stock level.

https://www.target.com.au/p/transformers-generations-deluxe-retro-collectibles-5-5-action-figures-assorted/64784861

High_Q
18th February 2021, 03:57 PM
I?d rather them reissue the original headmasters instead repacking the TR figures though,

You and me both. 100%. They probably lost the moulds. Only explanation for the reissue of the same G1 toys over and over again in the last 20 years.

kovert
18th February 2021, 08:59 PM
Not bad at all for $29! Especially for a store exclusive in G1 style packaging.

Deano85
18th February 2021, 09:04 PM
I just want Chromedome for the G1 head for my Titans Return Chromedome to go with my Maketoys Chromedome. Would keep the vehicle in the G1 box

griffin
18th February 2021, 09:12 PM
Not bad at all for $29! Especially for a store exclusive in G1 style packaging.

Wow, that is impressive. These are US$20 in America (plus tax), and the number is usually doubled for us here, so anything less than AU$40 here is a bargain.

kovert
18th February 2021, 09:21 PM
Wow, that is impressive. These are US$20 in America (plus tax), and the number is usually doubled for us here, so anything less than AU$40 here is a bargain.

Works out to be almost a direct conversion at the current USD/AUD exchange rate, including GST. It's good news for us. :)

Paulbot
18th February 2021, 11:23 PM
Great price.

I don't need any of these but the packaging is wonderfully tempting. I've been wanting to see "CHUG" figures in G1 retro packaging for ages (other toy lines do it) and it's a great look.

I may pick up a wave 2 Skullcruncher (as my Takara version had a wrong fist)

griffin
18th February 2021, 11:40 PM
According to some people on fb, these have already shown up in a couple of stores already... but I can't find a store on their site that says it has stock, so maybe they have just arrived, but not yet entered into the system at those stores.

Skyfire
18th February 2021, 11:50 PM
Early this morning the website said at least 10 stores had limited stock and 1-2 had in stock (all over East e.g. Target Watergardens). And you could choose any form of purchase. Now it says Find in Store and Click and Collect Only. Don't know what's going on.

kovert
19th February 2021, 09:39 AM
Could be the scalpers buying up all the stock.

Skyfire
19th February 2021, 10:59 AM
Early this morning the website said at least 10 stores had limited stock and 1-2 had in stock (all over East e.g. Target Watergardens). And you could choose any form of purchase. Now it says Find in Store and Click and Collect Only. Don't know what's going on.

All good again, with Home Delivery available again. And about 15 stores (all East) with limited stock/in stock (Robina and Watergardens in stock).

reillyd
19th February 2021, 04:47 PM
The stock calculator sits on a throne of lies. My local showed no stock but had 2 cases in store. Just visit in person- it may be there

griffin
19th February 2021, 05:50 PM
One store i was at said the website can take up to 2 days to update.... which isn't very reliable.

Did anyone take a chance and order online for a set... and actually get 4 different ones?

dirge
19th February 2021, 08:19 PM
I'm not chasing these... which is a good thing, since all the Targets near me are being closed to convert to K-Marts and as such are just letting the stock run down.

Skyfire
20th February 2021, 10:57 AM
Target website now showing stock in Perth stores as at 7:56am. Good hunting sandgropers.

Target Morley Limited stock in this store
Target Innaloo Limited stock in this store
Target Carousel Limited stock in this store
Target Bull Creek Limited stock in this store
Target Fremantle Limited stock in this store
Target Joondalup Limited stock in this store
Target Rockingham Limited stock in this store

Skyfire
28th February 2021, 12:55 PM
Looks like largely sold out in Perth stores (and elsewhere?) in a few days after release. Glad I don't need to chase these. I'd be frustrated with getting all 7, especially if the 2nd assortment fails to show.

I think they are being scalped, which again deters me from collecting these as the chance of not completing the set is higher. There was a set of wave 1 going on Au Ebay for $300. Funny thing is that TLTC still has the Titans Returns for less than $25. Personally, I don't think they are worth much more than the usual price for deluxes, even with overseas pricing, exclusivity, minor repainting and G1 box art. But the scalpers are probably relying on such thinking. As is Hasbro ;).

Tranceblade
28th February 2021, 04:10 PM
In all fairness, they're actually a tad cheaper than mainline Deluxes now.

Omega Metro
28th February 2021, 04:30 PM
I just wish Targets got in extra stock. Especially when they are closing some of their stores which increases the chances of stuff selling out if they still get 1 box per store.

griffin
28th February 2021, 05:27 PM
I really hope that they haven't sent out all of the stock yet, as they didn't show up in too many places, and very few stores were ever listed as having stock (I don't think any QLD stores were ever in-stock on the website at all, when I was checking several times over the last 2 weeks).
I will try to get some answers, but we are talking about two big corporations here, so don't expect prompt answers... or at all.

Batfan007
1st April 2021, 10:57 PM
I still have these exact TR figures in bags somewhere that I can’t sell/nobody wants.

Same. I've had doubles of Hardhead (LG and HAsbro versions) I've tried to sell for going on two years now. Never had a single msg/click any bit of interest so I don't even bother listing them anymore. find it nuts that you put modern toys in a vintage box (not even a true vintage box as its thin and flimsy, not the same) and people go nuts for them.

Never got a Brainstorm myself, so will have a look for that one at least.
Don't like my chances, their is like one Target about 20km from here, that usually gets nothing, and the other one in a major shopping mall is now gone / swapped into a Kmart. It's one of the more popular metro malls in the state, so it's not just regional.

Skyfire
1st April 2021, 11:28 PM
People go nuts... you said it (and Hasbro knows it).

I thought to myself when these were announced that I would only consider getting them if there was a reasonable chance of getting all 7. Because of the box art, exclusivity and the apparently good-value price, I had a hunch these would be hard to obtain. Worse still, Target stores seem to get one case of 4 figures at at time - has anyone actually seen more than one of a figure to indicate more than one case?

My very first, and quite possibly only, sighting was of wave 2 at Perth CBD Target 2 days ago. I held them, read the tech specs, admired the figures and art, and after thinking hard... put them back and posted the sighting (hopefully not for some scalper). I decided buying them and never seeing wave 1 (Brainstorm, Chromedome, Mindwipe) and then looking up insane online prices would just bring me unjoy.

So, Batfan, I think your chances are slim. But if I see one, I'll grab it for you.

griffin
2nd April 2021, 12:07 AM
People go nuts... you said it (and Hasbro knows it).

http://toycollectors.com.au/excellent.jpg

Deano85
2nd April 2021, 11:33 AM
G1 Chromedome was one of the first Transformers I had when I was a kid

https://dm2305files.storage.live.com/y4mHDeqm78WTtGw9anT8uLVecpCg-Y4TKK1Y92gbyBKTd9HESybH0eutYVexc2EI5Sz7cnrjm-7sxokXi8A13yCpxbSND0Pu5_Un3MjoJkbgCa5d1QfqDO0Ulh9S vCYSb3YCXFiDvYjJQE1NimavZsicaOvQrdT654c11cBO6yHDaw 49iV9B-7deknI3v7OgWSi?width=1327&height=1000&cropmode=none

Defcon
2nd April 2021, 04:16 PM
I have never seen these in store. The vintage style packaging is attractive, but would be more interested if they had brand new molds or reissued the vintage toys. I guess already having the titans returns figures is enough, but also have the takara legends displayed in the boxes. I can?t justify triple dipping.

shockNwave
3rd April 2021, 01:41 PM
I have never seen these in store. The vintage style packaging is attractive, but would be more interested if they had brand new molds or reissued the vintage toys. I guess already having the titans returns figures is enough, but also have the takara legends displayed in the boxes. I can?t justify triple dipping.

∆Wholeheartedly this!∆

Akky82
5th April 2021, 08:10 PM
Just opened up my Highbrow (the box was beaten up a bit, so I'm still hunting for a better box one to keep MISB) to replace my Takara legends one. I hadn't seen photos online but didn't realise the head pic on the box doesnt match the headmaster insode (it instead matches the art, same as Takara). Disappointed ... I replaced the Takara one more because I wanted the grayish color over the white. I opened a hardhead to display and am selling talara one too, like the extra apps, but I opened the Chromedome and was just no impressed but the darker brown and the even whiter head, so am keeping my takara one despite thr clear windshield.

Still looking for a Skullcruncher too, Brookside in QLD has 8 on hold (dont know if wave 1 or 2, assuming 2? apparently they had a scanning issue when a customer wanted to buy the lot and they put them on hold until he picks them up or tells them he doesn't want them (I've tried, they refuse to sell them)).

Dkaris
8th May 2021, 03:44 PM
I really want brainstorm, it sucks target online ships randomly. I really don't want to pay scalper prices on the bay though.

griffin
8th May 2021, 09:22 PM
Checking the product page tonight (every few days I check it), it had the purchase tab up... but it would only let me buy one, so maybe there was just one currently in the system within range of my nominated store.

Hopefully it is one I haven't got yet.

griffin
16th May 2021, 04:40 PM
Checking the product page tonight (every few days I check it), it had the purchase tab up... but it would only let me buy one, so maybe there was just one currently in the system within range of my nominated store.

Hopefully it is one I haven't got yet.

Went in today to pick up the order and I'm really confused... it was NOT one that I already had.
That just never happens with me... you just have to see how many Botbots and Tiny Changer duplicates I have, usually getting duplicates at a much higher proportion than random probability would suggest.
This is so unprecedented, I've been distracted all day wondering what is going on... or what big bad thing is about to happen for this to get me into a false sense of security.

If the two that I have coming in the mail arrive, somehow I ended up getting all seven Retro Headmasters, with only 2 duplicates (which I had refunded at the store).

kovert
17th May 2021, 10:57 AM
Which one did you get at the store?

griffin
17th May 2021, 11:35 AM
Highbrow.

dinobot
17th May 2021, 12:23 PM
Highbrow.

Need that one :(

griffin
18th May 2021, 09:27 PM
Thanks to kovert, the set is complete...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/f834.jpg

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/f835.jpg

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/f836.jpg

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/f837.jpg

Paulbot
18th May 2021, 09:30 PM
They look so good as a set

griffin
18th May 2021, 11:16 PM
The commentary I added to the photos on instagram...

The Transformers toys you buy if you can't afford (or in my case, justify) the expense of minty fresh sealed vintage toys from the 80s that you wouldn't want to open.
I think these newly released toys look great... being 2020 decos of 2016 toys homaging 1987 toys, in 2020 packaging homaging 1984 and 1987 packaging. :p
Yeah, best to just enjoy how they look and not try to figure out what they are...

Kranix
19th May 2021, 08:59 AM
These are very cool and the full set looks amazing!

Zommael
19th May 2021, 11:29 AM
Popping this in here as it's Target related. One of the two deluxes I bought today scanned at just $9! I imagine it was the Earthrise Arcee as they might be trying to clear out ER, but I also bought SS86 Jazz and I can't decipher the receipt to tell which is which.

Paulbot
19th May 2021, 12:34 PM
ER Arcee has been on clearance for a while so most likely her.

And to think you could have bought the same toy in a Kingdom box for $20 more!

Now if they had put ER Arcee in a faux-G1 box instead of a Kingdom box, or released Titan Master Arcee in G1 packaging - that would get more sales!

dirge
19th May 2021, 07:28 PM
Now if they had put ER Arcee in a faux-G1 box instead of a Kingdom box, or released Titan Master Arcee in G1 packaging - that would get more sales!

Oh the nostalgia! ;)

griffin
19th May 2021, 09:03 PM
It's another couple of years for the 40th anniversary, but I'd love to see the entire 1984 line of their most recent Generations versions, all re-released in Gen1 style packaging (like these Headmasters) into stores for a one-off release, giving us a wall of toys at stores looking like a step back in time to 1984.

kovert
19th May 2021, 09:03 PM
Sticking with the Headmaster theme, Hasbro now has to reissue LG/TR Fortress Maximus and ER Scorponok in retro style G1 boxes.

kovert
19th May 2021, 09:29 PM
It's another couple of years for the 40th anniversary, but I'd love to see the entire 1984 line of their most recent Generations versions

That would be cool. And there would also be more than seven to collect. :)

Skyfire
25th August 2021, 06:18 PM
Target listing came back online yesterday with a few Victorian stores showing stock. Today, there are more Vic stores, a few SA ones and a NSW one. So it appears a restock has occurred.

MirusX
7th December 2021, 11:31 AM
I am attempting to complete my Retro Headmasters collection - so far I am unable to find any stock for Wave 2 at Target. Anyone able to help with any sightings of Highbrow, Skullcruncher or Weirdwolf?