PDA

View Full Version : MOTU Revelation Netflix trailer

Sam
15th June 2021, 10:48 PM
I saw this trailer the other day, and am looking forward to the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81wyj65SJIo

JJJ
29th June 2021, 09:35 AM
Yup, looks like fun :)

Will be interesting to see how MOTU works with an actual continuing storyline to it.

Jetfire in the sky
2nd July 2021, 08:50 PM
I'm going full negative Nigel on this one, But I hope I will be presently surprised. :)

High_Q
11th July 2021, 03:05 PM
I'm looking forward to this take of MOTU. I like the way this one is animated, compared to what we're getting with the current Netflix TF trilogy, which will not age well. Also, hoping for better voice acting. The TF one's awful.

JJJ
23rd July 2021, 10:35 PM
Watched it. Loved it.

I kinda liked it as a kid, but re-watching it is not the same for me as re-watching Transformers. Both were low-quality pap aimed at kids to sell toys, but for me Transformers has a certain spark, and MOTU doesn't. The toys manage to fascinate me (come on Big W or Target, sell them to me), but I can't see the cartoon the same way I did in the 80s.

MOTU Revelation, though, does a lot of work to have that spark. And it pays off.

I won't spoil anything here, but I will say this - if all you do is listen to the spittle-flecked rantings of the man-child "fans" who can't get over women taking centre stage for a change (and this does seem to be the big objection that I've seen; tells you quite a lot about these supposed "fans"), then you'll miss out on something pretty good.

Very much looking forward to the second half.

SMHFConvoy
24th July 2021, 09:32 AM
Finished it this morning, it's okay but not really for me although I liked the choice for the major story arc to reference a Teela centric episode from the original series

Kranix
24th July 2021, 06:18 PM
I thought about grabbing Netflix again to watch this but I just can't get into MOTU. I was nuts about it as a little kid and had a huge collection of toys until I first saw (G1) Optimus Prime. Then it was all over for MOTU and I was truly nuts for Transformers. This has never truly left me, although after series 3, I did move onto M.A.S.K as a focus, purely because you could no longer get the Transformers I loved in store (Season 1 and 2 toys).

However, I still longed for more of these toys while collecting other toy lines and as I grew out of toys and into girls instead :D. The Gold box release were amazing for me at the time, I wish I purchased more back then, in particular Wheeljack. I'm sure my parents were like, what is he buying toys for?

The same thing happened with the cartoon. I longed to see every Transformers episode from Season 1 and 2 and ended up spending way too much to purchase US versions of the full DVD box sets in my early 20s (which ended up being released here for cheap anyway). I still enjoy watching these shows, whereas with MOTU, M.A.S.K and TMNT, I can't watch them. Transformers of this time period seems to have a little bit of something the others don't.

Jaxius._
24th July 2021, 11:05 PM
As a child born at the start of the 21st century i have never experienced He-Man as many others have. It didn’t have constant new cartoons like Transformers or a reboot in the early 2010s like Thundercats or even a Netflix series like Voltron (though it had a show in the early 2000s i was probably to young to even watch it i was probably still watching bob the builder, the 86 movie and those two Energon dvds i had) but today i got my first taste of He-man
Even the most casual fan like myself knows of Skeletor, Prince Adam and even more minor characters like Man-At-Arms and the sorts so they really didn’t need much introduction and i feel revelations did it well. Drawing in new fans like myself and presumably old ones as well.

Immensely better than other [80s property here] netflix revivals and definitely up there with Voltron so far
Just can’t wait for more episodes. And guess it’s time to watch the original series?

JJJ
24th July 2021, 11:14 PM
And guess it’s time to watch the original series?

Maybe. Just don't set your expectations too high.

Jaxius._
25th July 2021, 01:09 PM
Maybe. Just don't set your expectations too high.

I'm assuming it's like G1 and the original voltron
Turn brain off watch for innocent fun

mikeyc7m
25th July 2021, 07:47 PM
Old She-ra was probably better than He-man simply because the storytelling was a little more nuanced. But don't expect shakespeare from either.
They were both comically idiotic but always polite, always tried to have a message or a point to make. In a nutshell, they were suitable for kids.
But by golly, when they hold that sword aloft...

High_Q
26th July 2021, 07:41 PM
I'm assuming it's like G1 and the original voltron
Turn brain off watch for innocent fun

Original MOTU storyline is so much worse than G1 or OG Voltron. I couldn't finish the first episode when i tried rewatching a year or two ago.

Netflix MOTU, on the other hand, has been enjoyable so far, two episodes in. The animation is decent (except for the static backgrounds), and i'm enjoying the story so far.

JJJ
26th July 2021, 08:43 PM
Original MOTU storyline is so much worse than G1 or OG Voltron. I couldn't finish the first episode when i tried rewatching a year or two ago.

I started to re-watch the original cartoon a few months ago when I first learnt about this new cartoon. I didn't have to force myself, as such, but it did take conscious effort, and once I stopped to watch something else for a while, I just ... failed to go back to it. I might yet.

High_Q
26th July 2021, 09:03 PM
I didn't have to force myself, as such, but it did take conscious effort, and once I stopped to watch something else for a while, I just ... failed to go back to it. I might yet.

I think Original MOTU is the worst amongst the 80s cartoons that I've rewatched over the last few years. The only thing worse was Hanna-Barbera Godzilla.

Inhumanoids, Visionaries, and Real Ghostbusters were OK.

IMO, Thundercats, JP G1 TF and Galaxy Rangers have aged better, both in terms of animation and storyline.

Kranix
27th July 2021, 09:48 AM
The real Ghostbusters is a show I haven't tried to re-watch. Really liked it as a kid, it may hold up. May have to find a way to watch it.

Trent
27th July 2021, 11:29 AM
Watched the show. It wasn’t bad. And a woman takes the lead which has made the man babies angry.

Tetsuwan Convoy
27th July 2021, 04:12 PM
I think Original MOTU is the worst amongst the 80s cartoons that I've rewatched over the last few years. The only thing worse was Hanna-Barbera Godzilla.

Inhumanoids, Visionaries, and Real Ghostbusters were OK.

IMO, Thundercats, JP G1 TF and Galaxy Rangers have aged better, both in terms of animation and storyline.

I found out of the olde cartoons, Thundercats and lion Voltron were pretty awful. Thundercats just seems to bland with random freaky bad guy for the week situations. I feel like my biggets issue with thundercats is that it could've been so much better. Lion Voltron, I bought on VHS whens they started doing re-releases and without fail it would put me to sleep on the couch.

I watched and enjoyed Revelations, but don't think its fantastic. The second episode was a drag and I forced myself through, but glad that I did as it picked up from 3 onwards.

I did have some issues with some of the story decisions made in it.
Spoilers incoming:
Wise King Randor sacking/exiling Man-at-arms on the spot after all they've been through seemed like a huge WTF moment.
Teela getting super shirty about not being kept in the loop re Adam/He-man and from then on completely despising him, even until the point where she meets him the afterlife. He died saving the world and Teela is still hassling the guy about how he betrayed her feelings. Wah wah wah Teela, you're a Master of the Universe as well. Speaking of which what happened to all the other Masters? Where did they go?
Teela being told that they need her help to help save the entirety of existence and her being all whingey over her feelings. How selfish is this girl?
Evil-Lyn blaming all her issues on Skeletor and feeling upset that he didn't recognise her brilliance. Well DUH, he's freaking Skeletor, he's not a fair, or nice guy.
Essentially, there are times when I thought Teela just acted like a spoilt selfish brat and it felt out of place
I did like the Lyn/Orko section. Oh, and my glowboy Scareglow was hella cool!
End of spoilers

Aside from that I rather enjoyed the character progression. It was nice to see what was happening to the bad guys without Skeletor holding them together, although I felt the episode with Triclops' debut was a little too edgy for it's own good. I would've liked to see more of King Randor and how exactly the world was going with dwindling magic. Oh, cute Pine comment from Skeletor, made me smile.

The final episode was cool. I was all getting hyped and then I got even more hyped when the end happened. Will be very interested to see season 2!

Also, who were all those "champions (?)" in the after life, Greyskull, He-ro, Wun-darr(?) what about the sorceress looking chick?

Was it perfect? No
Was it enjoyable? Yes.
Will I want to see more? Yes, I would like to know where it is going.

JJJ
27th July 2021, 07:34 PM
Also, who were all those "champions (?)" in the after life, Greyskull, He-ro, Wun-darr(?) what about the sorceress looking chick?

Exactly that - champions, from the past, and a previous sorceress. The back-story to He-Man is lengthy, but think of it like this - Prince Adam/He-Man is the latest champion, just like Buffy was the latest Slayer.

He-Ro never got past the prototype in the 80s, and Wun-Dar was a fan-club-only repaint of He-Man. King Grayskull was invented for the 2002 reboot. The priestess is an invention of Revelation, and serves the same purpose as the rest, to show a series of heroes holding the same roles thoughout history.

Seraphim Prime
29th July 2021, 12:00 PM
The 2000's Mattel He-Man team did a lot of work synthesising the mythology of He-Man into what they released through the Classics line, trying to bring in a lot of the half-finished concepts into something that would allow for a continuous saga over many generations.

Think of it like what Hasbro tried to do for the Aligned continuity, but a bit more successful.

I've been watching the Spector Creative videos recently - from their former Brand Manager/Brand Designer and it's been really interesting to see the level of thought and world building they tried to instil. And also the minefield of IP rights across He-Man and She-Ra across the different mediums (toys VS TV series VS movies VS comics)

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th August 2021, 10:00 AM
He-Ro never got past the prototype in the 80s, and Wun-Dar was a fan-club-only repaint of He-Man. King Grayskull was invented for the 2002 reboot. The priestess is an invention of Revelation, and serves the same purpose as the rest, to show a series of heroes holding the same roles thoughout history.
I assumed that was the case, I was wondering if I knew their names. The priestess was the one I was most curiosu about, thanks for the clarification.

I've been watching the Spector Creative videos recently - from their former Brand Manager/Brand Designer and it's been really interesting to see the level of thought and world building they tried to instil. And also the minefield of IP rights across He-Man and She-Ra across the different mediums (toys VS TV series VS movies VS comics)
Are they on youtube? I might give them a watch. I find the He-man franchise interesting in that it's kinda cool, but somehow never manages to kick off into something awesome. And I wonder why.

JJJ
10th August 2021, 12:50 PM
Just take anything that Spector Creative says with an enormous grain of salt. He has an incredible opinion of himself and his knowledge, trades endlessly on (allegedly) having worked in the industry, appears not to understand (or perhaps care) about the difference between fact, opinion, and rumour... and in the areas I have had some knowledge of he spouted a whole lot of, well, crap, which makes me doubt he knows anything about the subject at hand.

I've written him off as just another click-bait blowhard.

Bemblebuu
11th August 2021, 08:46 AM
Watched the first episode of the Netflix MOTU. Wasn't awful nor was it amazing. Kind of find the overreaction by whiny YouTubers more entertaining, if anything.

People seem to forget the 80's cartoon wasn't great in the first place, and like so many other shows, were tools to sell toys.

Transformers are unique to me, because the toys themselves are so creative. The TF cartoons carried that element even if the stories weren't grand epics... although the 86 movie is still in my top 5 fave films ever as it just kicks butt without any filler nonsense.

Tetsuwan Convoy
12th August 2021, 09:55 AM
Just take anything that Spector Creative says with an enormous grain of salt. He has an incredible opinion of himself and his knowledge, trades endlessly on (allegedly) having worked in the industry, appears not to understand (or perhaps care) about the difference between fact, opinion, and rumour... and in the areas I have had some knowledge of he spouted a whole lot of, well, crap, which makes me doubt he knows anything about the subject at hand.

Roger dodge. The speed viewing settings of youtube are my best friend.

Watched the first episode of the Netflix MOTU. Wasn't awful nor was it amazing. Kind of find the overreaction by whiny YouTubers more entertaining, if anything.

People seem to forget the 80's cartoon wasn't great in the first place, and like so many other shows, were tools to sell toys.

Transformers are unique to me, because the toys themselves are so creative. The TF cartoons carried that element even if the stories weren't grand epics... although the 86 movie is still in my top 5 fave films ever as it just kicks butt without any filler nonsense.
Youtubers seem to deliberately exaggerate anything. Part of the reason why I am very select about which ones I watch. But I agree on your points.
Also agree on the Transformers movie, it is full on throughout the movie (and not in a bad way).

Seraphim Prime
13th August 2021, 03:53 PM

You can have your own opinion of his personality - but his toy industry cred is up on his LinkedIn Page - Scott Neitlich - Creative Director - Spector Creative | LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/in/scott-neitlich-51948041). He could be like a lot of people trying speak up his work history and achievements.

He's effectively like Ben Montanno (or Aaron Archer in later years) - privy to the internal discussions, but thinks brand / lore first not toy design - but would be abreast of what was trying to be achieved in design. He would also have an internal perspective of the brand that many of us don't, which could mean that what he says on certain topics are either generalisations or come from mixed messaging / non-corporate messaging.

reillyd
30th August 2021, 08:13 PM
Just take anything that Spector Creative says with an enormous grain of salt. He has an incredible opinion of himself and his knowledge, trades endlessly on (allegedly) having worked in the industry,

Allegedly? He was the MOTU brand manager for almost the entire run of the MOTU Classics line, and its only when he left that it lost momentum and sales.
He?s also got a treasure trove of Mattel designs, storyboards, licensor bibles, and production information because he took copies of it. In fact, he managed to salvage much of the original material and concept work, which otherwise would have been destroyed. You might not like him personally, but there isn?t any ?allegedly? about it.

?

I?m only at the third episode, but really enjoying it so far. Enough to buy a case of MOTU Masterverse figures. There only seems to be six episodes though, so I?m hoping there are more in production. Otherwise its a real short series.

Tetsuwan Convoy
3rd March 2022, 11:04 AM
Can we talk about the show here as well? I just finished episode 10 (season two I guess) and thought it was all right. Not great, not bad. Kinda fan fictiony in a way.

Spoliers incoming I guess

I did like the way it took the point of what would Skeletor do once he's destroyed He-Man, Adam calling on the power without the sword was a nice addition and kind of setting the purpose to the sword itself.Evil Lyn as the sorceress (I really dign that design as well) and then again when she had the power as well as sorceress-i-ness. But It did kind of strike me as a bit meh, the way practically anybody can use the power. uscle Lyn had he power as well as being the sorceress, so apparently all the power, yet there is still power for He-Man, Skelegod and Teela as well. Yet, Man at Arms tells Lyn that as the sorceress, she has control of the power, so she could have easily just blocked it from the 3 others.

It was kinda of cool watching He-man rip through the dead army, like I don't recall ever seeing He-Man really let loose like that.

Then what happens at the end to Skeletor. Is he out of magic? He's now at the point where two lackeys could hold him down? Although the way it ended does add some conjecture to the continuation. New adventures? She-Ra? Rather exciting!

So in the end, it wasn't spectacular, but wasn't so bad

Autocon
25th April 2022, 06:40 PM
Watched season two. Interesting how it was not totally focused on he-man, I liked it. Not the best written but still good, kept my interest up. I learnt of Mr Fisto who loves to give the fist to people. Har har