PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Snazzbot 101

snazzbot 101
25th November 2008, 05:44 PM
Hi Guys. I've been lurking on and off for awhile and I thought it best to bite the bullet and join in.

Watched the cartoon on The Early Bird Show - captured my imagination. Never saw Optimus or Megatron at retail - they became such objects of awe, spoken of in revered whispers at primary school. My best friend did get Megatron as a birthday present though.
Wow, underwhelming.

Didn't see season three. Didn't see the movie. My Mum said it was just a big toy commercial. Well, yeah.

Time moved on. Still found myself at the Toy Store upon occasion, a High School guilty pleasure, checking up on them. A tiny robot transforming into a gun? Cool. A robot in a human? umm...

And then there was Beast Wars - which I instantly dismissed. A hairy Optimus with a mouth? Ugh.

Somehow I ended giving it a proper shot. Damn. Amazing.

RID. Armada. Energon. Cybertron. *SIGH* I'd shake my head, but I fear it would fly clear off.

And now it's today. I have a Beast Machines Box Set I've been meaning to watch and the Anniversary Edition movie which I have. I have my own Optimus Prime and my own Megatron (reissues natch'). He's still underwhelming, but he's just so WOW as well.

jacksplatt11
25th November 2008, 05:49 PM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jacksplatt11/Alloallotitle.jpg

jaydisc
25th November 2008, 05:57 PM
Welcome Melbournian!

hanprimus
25th November 2008, 06:00 PM
Welcome!

TheDirtyDigger
25th November 2008, 06:04 PM
Watched the cartoon on The Early Bird Show - captured my imagination. Never saw Optimus or Megatron at retail - they became such objects of awe, spoken of in revered whispers at primary school. My best friend did get Megatron as a birthday present though.
Wow, underwhelming.

Do I know you?? Sounds like you could be any one of my three TF friends from 1985.

Did you have a Powerglide that....someone (wasn't me I swear) broke?

Welcome aboard anyway Snazz. What part of Melbourne you from?

loophole
25th November 2008, 06:25 PM
Welcome Aboard Snazzbot!!

snazzbot 101
25th November 2008, 06:28 PM
Do I know you?? Sounds like you could be any one of my three TF friends from 1985.

Did you have a Powerglide that....someone (wasn't me I swear) broke?

Welcome aboard anyway Snazz. What part of Melbourne you from?

I'm from the northern suburbs - But I'm not the person you might think I am (though I have been called worse than the boy who loved Powerglide).

iceburn
25th November 2008, 06:33 PM
welcome...snazz

d*r*j*
25th November 2008, 06:38 PM
hey snazz

GoktimusPrime
25th November 2008, 06:48 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/boardwelcome.jpg

Pulse
25th November 2008, 07:22 PM
Hey Mate! :)

Not another Melbournian!? :D

Wheel-J
25th November 2008, 07:30 PM
Mabuhay! Welcome to Ozformers!!! :D

Robzy
25th November 2008, 08:48 PM
Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong! :)

Vector Sigma 13
25th November 2008, 09:14 PM
Hi Guys. I've been lurking on and off for awhile and I thought it best to bite the bullet and join in.

Wow, underwhelming.

Didn't see season three. Didn't see the movie. My Mum said it was just a big toy commercial. Well, yeah.

Time moved on. Still found myself at the Toy Store upon occasion, a High School guilty pleasure, checking up on them. A tiny robot transforming into a gun? Cool. A robot in a human? umm...

And then there was Beast Wars - which I instantly dismissed. A hairy Optimus with a mouth? Ugh.

Somehow I ended giving it a proper shot. Damn. Amazing.

RID. Armada. Energon. Cybertron. *SIGH* I'd shake my head, but I fear it would fly clear off.

And now it's today. I have a Beast Machines Box Set I've been meaning to watch and the Anniversary Edition movie which I have. I have my own Optimus Prime and my own Megatron (reissues natch'). He's still underwhelming, but he's just so WOW as well.

Welcome- i share many of those views also.

Oh and are you related to SHAZbot nannoo nannoo? lol i couldnt help myself. I had a mork and mindy figure once...:eek:

GoktimusPrime
25th November 2008, 09:32 PM
Whenever Mork called Orson, I secretly hoped that it was this Orson!

http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/customavatars/avatar18783_1.gif ;)

autobreadticon
25th November 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm from the northern suburbs - But I'm not the person you might think I am (though I have been called worse than the boy who loved Powerglide).

bahaha , welcome man

k.wong23
25th November 2008, 09:59 PM
Welcome mate, Megatron reissue really is a beauty isn't he :)

Tiby
25th November 2008, 10:03 PM
Welcome aboard!

STL
25th November 2008, 11:10 PM
Welcome aboard!

Golden Phoenix
25th November 2008, 11:21 PM
Hey man, enjoy your stay

snazzbot 101
25th November 2008, 11:29 PM
Welcome mate, Megatron reissue really is a beauty isn't he :)

Indeed. Systematically putting on all those U.N.C.L.E attachments, the stock... the barrel extension, makes you feel like some top notch assassin for hire.

Then you transform him into robot mode and spend 20 minutes fiddling around trying to get those double-hinged thighs to look Justright.

Stupid fusion cannon. I much prefer the gun emplacement mode - Ga'mede looks great in the little chair BTW.

Paulbot
26th November 2008, 12:11 PM
Which re-issues of Megatron do people have? Are there any major differences between them... I'm assuming all of the re-issues come out of Japan as america has strange laws regarding guns.

Firstly, welcome Snazzbot. :D

Secondly, as newer members both you and d*r*j* may be unaware that it's unfortuntely not actually legal to own a Megatron toy that turns into a gun in Victoria.

Our gun laws are just as strange.

snazzbot 101
26th November 2008, 01:49 PM
Secondly, as newer members both you and d*r*j* may be unaware that it's not actually legal to own a Megatron toy that turns into a gun in Victoria.

You may wish to edit or remove your posts as by stating you may have them could put you at risk legally.

You'd think the police would have better things to do - like crack down on Supa Soakers. Don't they know were in a drought?

I must add I no longer have my Megatron reissue. Oh I do hope it was not involved in a crime. You could pistol whip someone real good with all that diecast.

GoktimusPrime
26th November 2008, 02:00 PM
You'd think the police would have better things to do - like crack down on Supa Soakers. Don't they know were in a drought?
Yeah, I'm not sure what the police can do about droughts and other natural disasters though... :/ Anyway, the fact is that replica gun Transformers are currently outlawed in the state of Victoria whether we like it or not. Hopefully Victorian Transfans can reach some agreement with the Victorian Police in terms of legal ownership of these toys, as has been done in other states and territories (e.g.: it is legal to own Megatron in NSW if you have a replica firearms permit and keep it in secured safe storage, see here (http://www.megatron.net.au) about laws regarding owning Megatron in Australia)

jacksplatt11
26th November 2008, 02:07 PM
You'd think the police would have better things to do - like crack down on Supa Soakers. Don't they know were in a drought

Yeah, I'm not sure what the police can do about droughts and other natural disasters though... :/

He is not saying that police should fix the drought, he is saying that police should stop people from using super soakers that use water

I believe it's called a "joke"

1orion2many
26th November 2008, 02:20 PM
:)Welcome to the board. Hey Gok where's the pic of the original release:confused:. Nothing finer than an 84 shiny Megs in box:D.

d*r*j*
26th November 2008, 02:30 PM
When we were little... so late eighties early nineties... we played water fights with hoses... took them in the house and all at times.
People would hose down driveways (well mainly italian and greek people) and would even come and hose down their stuff after it had rained.

People are stupid. I can't remember if Megatron was hard to come by when I was in england (came to australia in '88)... by that time I think other things had my interest; gi joe, wrestling, music etc. Would my parents would draw the line at a replica gun??? maybe... probably not, I had a replica shotgun from spain as a child, a replica sword of omens (wish I held on to that guy) and a couple of not so replica daggers.

Paulbot
26th November 2008, 03:14 PM
Differences between Megatrons has been moved to it's own thread
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2808

GoktimusPrime
26th November 2008, 03:58 PM
I don't know about Melbourne, but we have water patrols in Sydney which monitor water usage and they had they could impose penalties on people who were wasting water like hosing down driveways unless they had a displayed permit. They've recently relaxed those laws though because our dam water levels have improved.

TheDirtyDigger
26th November 2008, 04:06 PM
I don't know about Melbourne, but we have water patrols in Sydney which monitor water usage and they had they could impose penalties on people who were wasting water like hosing down driveways unless they had a displayed permit. They've recently relaxed those laws though because our dam water levels have improved.

We were supposed to have something similar but I don't know how effective it was. We have a lot of Greeks, Italians and Albanians down here so there were a lot of concrete driveways which have gone dry because of the drought.

GoktimusPrime
26th November 2008, 04:10 PM
I'm proud to be currently living in a wogbox. :D Me hates gardening. *nods*

d*r*j*
26th November 2008, 04:15 PM

Hehe... our gun laws are hysterical.

American's have the right to bare arms or whatever... but get all precious with their toy guns.

I just think it's sad that these matters have to effect such an iconic toy. I have shot a handgun and a shotgun and at one time was even licensed to carry one... in a security capacity... to say that I'm not allowed a toy that forms the shape of a gun... which is in no way a working or possible working weapon... strange days indeed.

snazzbot 101
26th November 2008, 04:34 PM
I don't doubt the legality of owning Megatron - he's a replica gun after all. A damn good one too.

But it does make me wonder. What about my Collection and MP Convoys with their mighty smokestacks standing proud and TALL?

I know, I know, we buy them as collectables not toys (right) but they are still toys and they would surely have to conform to Australian Standards as such.

roller
26th November 2008, 05:58 PM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jacksplatt11/Alloallotitle.jpg

listen carefully for i shall say this only once,:D, Welcome... to ze pit of despair.

stick it to the man!!! Hold your Megatron with pride!!!

d*r*j*
26th November 2008, 06:59 PM
but only your classics megatron... don't want to advocate breaking the law.

GoktimusPrime
26th November 2008, 08:37 PM
Hehe... our gun laws are hysterical.

American's have the right to bare arms or whatever... but get all precious with their toy guns.
I think you're confusing American and Australian gun laws. I agree that American laws seem kinda strange considering that they're so strict on toy guns yet it's ridiculously easy to get real guns. Our laws aren't quite so hypocritical and IMO it's because there are two things that the US has that we don't...
#1: The Second Amendment
#2: The NRA

I just think it's sad that these matters have to effect such an iconic toy. I have shot a handgun and a shotgun and at one time was even licensed to carry one... in a security capacity... to say that I'm not allowed a toy that forms the shape of a gun... which is in no way a working or possible working weapon... strange days indeed.
An excellent point - and that was the legal argument that was presented to the NSW Police Ministry which paved the way for legal Megatron ownership in this state. Unfortunately this has yet to occur in Victoria.

But it does make me wonder. What about my Collection and MP Convoys with their mighty smokestacks standing proud and TALL?

I know, I know, we buy them as collectables not toys (right) but they are still toys and they would surely have to conform to Australian Standards as such.
Actually, I also buy them as toys. :p

As for MP Convoy, in Japan MPs aren't marketed at children - they are marketed as "Ages 15 and Up." I think that MP Convoy's smoke stacks are okay under Australian toy safety laws though because we've had two versions of that mould sold locally here (MP Magnus and MP Convoy w/ trailer - both Target exclusives). Afaik Hasbro Australia didn't market them as "Ages 15 and Up" but I'm not entirely sure as I don't have either of those figures.

Either way, the smokestack issue isn't one that falls under replica weapon - it's a matter of child safety.

but only your classics megatron... don't want to advocate breaking the law.
Actually, ownership of replica gun toys like Megatron is perfectly legal in WA, so roller's all good. :)

snazzbot 101
26th November 2008, 09:22 PM
Actually, I also buy them as toys. :p

As for MP Convoy, in Japan MPs aren't marketed at children - they are marketed as "Ages 15 and Up." I think that MP Convoy's smoke stacks are okay under Australian toy safety laws though because we've had two versions of that mould sold locally here (MP Magnus and MP Convoy w/ trailer - both Target exclusives). Afaik Hasbro Australia didn't market them as "Ages 15 and Up" but I'm not entirely sure as I don't have either of those figures.

Either way, the smokestack issue isn't one that falls under replica weapon - it's a matter of child safety.

I wasn't comparing a smokestack to a smoking gun, but the Master Piece analogy wasn't the best (forgot all about them selling them over here). I'll try again...

The Gen 1 reissue Primes from Hasbro has short stacks for safety reasons. My Collection Convoy has long - God-intended - smokestacks. As they are both the same TOY they should both confirm to the same Australian Standard, regardless of how it's marketed in Japan.

Given that, has anyone considered the potential ramifications of importing and owning something which could be illegal?

(This isn't just a shortstack question - which may not be recognised as a hazard by Australian Standards - collectively we import a lot of stuff and it's something I'm curious about.

GoktimusPrime
26th November 2008, 09:38 PM
Given that, has anyone considered the potential ramifications of importing and owning something which could be illegal?
Japanese reissues aren't illegal for adult collectors. There could be an argument that they are not suitable for children and shouldn't be supplied to young children... I don't let young kids touch any of my G1 toys anyway. :p

As a Federal body, Customs can still seize the toy from any part of Australia but laws and procedures for recovering the toy would vary between different states and territories. There is presently no process available for legal importation and ownership in Victoria. Click here (http://www.megatron.net.au/MC_Masterpiece_MP05_VIC.htm).

snazzbot 101
26th November 2008, 09:59 PM
Japanese reissues aren't illegal for adult collectors. There could be an argument that they are not suitable for children and shouldn't be supplied to young children... I don't let young kids touch any of my G1 toys anyway. :p

I do understand what you're saying, but just because I collect something doesn't make it a collectable and therefore above the Law. They're toys and the standards they must adhere to are Toy standards. If Hasbro has to shorten smokestacks or mould HUGE seeker missiles or remove springs from launchers to sell reissues in the US then clearly they don't meet someone's standards.

Whether they're Australia's standards too - and if so what then? - is what I'm asking about.

Cos I don't want to have to hide my long stacked Prime where I also have to hide my watch.

griffin
27th November 2008, 01:54 AM
I think what you are asking, relates to the sale of toys, not ownership. The legal safety requirements would pertain to the ability of retailers selling certain products. If you privately import an item and don't resell it, the safety standards would not apply, and you shouldn't be worried about getting into trouble for owning toys that may or may not legally be sold in this country. If a toy is dangerously unsafe in some way, you would be liable for any injury it causes to others - but that would relate to anything you own, not just toys.
That said, I think our safety requirements aren't as bad as America, because we had the JP Masterpiece Ultra Magnus and MP Optimus with Trailer released here, which both had the long smokestacks. The American retailers seem to be the ones who can't sell Optimus with long smokestacks, and unfortunately, we end up getting the same thing in our Hasbro packaged toys.

liegeprime
27th November 2008, 12:27 PM
Mabuhay and Welcome to the boards! :D:D

snazzbot 101
30th November 2008, 09:00 PM
I think what you are asking, relates to the sale of toys, not ownership. The legal safety requirements would pertain to the ability of retailers selling certain products. If you privately import an item and don't resell it, the safety standards would not apply, and you shouldn't be worried about getting into trouble for owning toys that may or may not legally be sold in this country. If a toy is dangerously unsafe in some way, you would be liable for any injury it causes to others - but that would relate to anything you own, not just toys.
That said, I think our safety requirements aren't as bad as America, because we had the JP Masterpiece Ultra Magnus and MP Optimus with Trailer released here, which both had the long smokestacks. The American retailers seem to be the ones who can't sell Optimus with long smokestacks, and unfortunately, we end up getting the same thing in our Hasbro packaged toys.

That's exactly what I wanting to know. Thanks Griffin