PDA

View Full Version : 25th Optimus now out in Oz.

griffin
26th November 2008, 02:22 AM
Sighted at a couple Myer stores for $100, is the 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime. It should be at other store chains as well, for a little less, because it isn't a Myer exclusive.
Also note that the version being released here is the same as the Asian one, which doesn't have the DVD in it. It only has the comic and sound-gimmick thing. It also doesn't look as nice without the flap on the front, because it shows all the accessories, and doesn't have the extra artwork.

TheDirtyDigger
26th November 2008, 06:52 AM
Which ones come with the flap and which don't?

iceburn
26th November 2008, 08:31 AM
Here's a pic update with the 2 Variants
- 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime with Comic only
- 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime with DVD and Comic

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/5/photos/61/1200x1200/25/PB250016.JPG?et=Qtp3MLPWNASFrorCfZ6ISw&nmid=112402033

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/5/photos/61/1200x1200/26/PB250019.JPG?et=oIUUOKZe4ikjyF87ZH%2CLWA&nmid=112402033

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/4/photos/61/1200x1200/27/PB250020.JPG?et=Jjef8slcvJLzkbhE%2C3ONcw&nmid=112402033

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/4/photos/61/1200x1200/28/PB250022.JPG?et=IWaTnRJYnHCU1n7NVCRS6A&nmid=112402033

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/6/photos/61/1200x1200/29/PB250023.JPG?et=k3CJpyaVzmUCssndKOiE3w&nmid=112402033

Both backings are the same. I kind of forgotten to take both together so here's just with 1 of them.

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/3/photos/61/1200x1200/31/PB250028.JPG?et=XOvP8Bc3Mq4nO9cAu8FhZw&nmid=112402033

Here's the picture of the cover with the comic and the DVD inside the packaging

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/3/photos/61/1200x1200/30/PB250024.JPG?et=fbHX4JiK2oTYFgys0d8y5g&nmid=112402033

Close ups...which some people might not like as it shows short smokestacks and super long missiles....

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/3/photos/61/1200x1200/32/PB250039.JPG?et=mMmgwAkjLo%2Bh%2BkBPT3dMzA&nmid=112402033

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/3/photos/61/1200x1200/33/PB250042.JPG?et=L2Jhto08leNpaN6svyzPcA&nmid=112402033

i_amtrunks
26th November 2008, 09:13 AM
Geez, Pinkimus Prime really continues with Hasbro's love of two toned shades of the same colour on a figure. :rolleyes:

Make me want the encore version even more.

iceburn
26th November 2008, 09:41 AM
hooray for encore prime!! *hehe*...

TheDirtyDigger
26th November 2008, 09:52 AM
Are both these version available at Oz retail?

iceburn
26th November 2008, 09:54 AM
The one with the DVD and comic will not be in retail here. I got that off ebay.

Kyle
26th November 2008, 10:38 AM
Are both these version available at Oz retail?

The one with the DVD and comic will not be in retail here. I got that off ebay.

I think the DVD is region 1 and most probably only available in America.

Interesting they've gone back to the "slim" gun again...

kup
26th November 2008, 10:54 AM
Worse Prime reissue ever.

I would have forgiven the short smokestaks if it wasn't for the fluro pink and different shades of color.

I feel sad now as I really wanted to support the 25th Anniversary line and this is supposed to be the flagship toy.

Kyle
26th November 2008, 11:02 AM
I'm more worried about the quality of the plastic used.

JuzMel
26th November 2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah I just bought it first because it was $79.96 with the Myer 20% discount. Planning to sell it later if I can find the one with the DVD version. Only want it because of the comic and DVD. :p

My Encore one with the long smoke stacks certainly looks much better. :)

GoktimusPrime
26th November 2008, 01:15 PM
Only want it because of the comic and DVD.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to ge the comic (even a reprint, it's been reprinted several times) and the DVD separately? What's on the DVD?

autobreadticon
26th November 2008, 02:04 PM
They whole toy and packaging looks so.... disappointing, i think i am the only one here without the g1 Prime and was really excited on this :(

jaydisc
26th November 2008, 02:06 PM
They whole toy and packaging looks so.... disappointing, i think i am the only one here without the g1 Prime and was really excited on this :(

Nah, I'm in the same boat as you. Encore it is.

iceburn
26th November 2008, 02:19 PM
well, it's a variant afterall

JuzMel
26th November 2008, 02:26 PM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to ge the comic (even a reprint, it's been reprinted several times) and the DVD separately? What's on the DVD?
Yeah true Gok, what's on the DVD anyway? If it's an episode of the G1 that I already have, then I'm happy to stick with the set I got from Myer.

Nah, I'm in the same boat as you. Encore it is.
Or you can get both like most of us did... :D :D

i_amtrunks
26th November 2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah true Gok, what's on the DVD anyway? If it's an episode of the G1 that I already have, then I'm happy to stick with the set I got from Myer.

I believe it contains More than meets the Eye Part 1. It may contain more, but I honestly cannot remember.

Kyle
26th November 2008, 02:40 PM
The toy inside is inferior to Encore or earlier reissues. The attraction, in a collector's point of view I guess, is the toy itself + all the extras together as a "complete" package. Without the DVD it is a big minus (even though I already have the same episode on multiple DVD releases). If one is to collect different packaging variants then I suppose he would attempt to get both versions. But this one at $100 is really hard to swallow (especially at this time of the year). I'll wait and see if the other retail chains have better prices.

I think this one is more for kids, parents who pick up for their kids, or people who don't have online access or a habit of ordering online.

iceburn
26th November 2008, 02:44 PM
I think this one is more for kids, parents who pick up for their kids, or people who don't have online access or a habit of ordering online.

where do i stand here :D :confused:

jacksplatt11
26th November 2008, 02:46 PM
If I buy it, it'll be to keep MISB on display, or open but keep the packaging so it can still be a display piece, a complete package like Kyle said. I certainly won't be buying it for it's version of the G1 Prime mould...

Pulse
26th November 2008, 02:49 PM
Maybe Hasbro are aiming this at people who've never owned a G1 Prime before - Let alone a G1 figure (I'm talking about non-TF people).

If you were a non-TF person, how would you know that this 25th Anniv. edition is the worst G1 Prime ever?

Kyle
26th November 2008, 03:01 PM
Maybe Hasbro are aiming this at people who've never owned a G1 Prime before - Let alone a G1 figure (I'm talking about non-TF people).

If you were a non-TF person, how would you know that this 25th Anniv. edition is the worst G1 Prime ever?

This "kind of" falls into the category of people who don't have online access or a habit of ordering online. :p

Paulbot
26th November 2008, 03:31 PM
I was after it for the complete package too, so without the DVD it's a bit disappointing and I'm less inclined to buy it.

My Optimus Prime has a broken spine, broken smokestacks, broken trailer door, major chrome wear, and is missing Roller's accessories... but I've had it since my 7th birthday (and done all the damage personally) so I love it anyway :D

Kyle
26th November 2008, 03:36 PM
My Optimus Prime has a broken spine, broken smokestacks, broken trailer door, major chrome wear, and is missing Roller's accessories... but I've had it since my 7th birthday (and done all the damage personally) so I love it anyway :D

I still keep all my old toys too, after I got the new reissue versions. Can never get rid of them. :D

iceburn
26th November 2008, 03:37 PM
I was after it for the complete package too, so without the DVD it's a bit disappointing and I'm less inclined to buy it.

sheesh..at least my original prime didn't suffer that much like yours. i've got an Ultra Magnus junker cab with a good spine if you wanna repair it...

was gonna do a black (dead) prime out of him anyway

griffin
26th November 2008, 03:37 PM
http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/3/photos/61/1200x1200/32/PB250039.JPG?et=mMmgwAkjLo%2Bh%2BkBPT3dMzA&nmid=112402033

That 2-tone colouring is terrible. At least on the seibertron pics it was front on, so it looked like it was all pink, but with just the diecast part being pink, the side-on view, it's packaged view, looks like a poor imitation KO.

I think they should have tried to get the US version released here. All they would need to do is put a small sticker on it saying NTSC region 1 DVD. DVD stores and retailers do the same thing with NTSC versions, but not sure if they have to stock region 4 though.

I'd still prefer the US version, because I'd be keeping mine displayed sealed, and the US versioin hides all the accessories and has the front artwork.

It took me about 10 minutes to find it, but I found the US retail price - US$70 (plus tax - 5-10%) - so our retail price isn't too bad on todays exchange rate, despite the missing DVD. Hasbro AU probably had it paid and on its way from China before the exchange rate crashed, but it's usually the smaller classes they over-charge on. We usually get a good deal on the larger figures here.
The US version listing at the US Hasbro site:
http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=22776

d*r*j*
26th November 2008, 04:36 PM
Wouldn't mind picking this up at k marts sale... have a (nearly) 3 year old nephew that could use this for christmas... the safety features would be nice for him.

Zippo
26th November 2008, 05:07 PM
I was worried about getting the UK/Asian version in New Zealand and I am glad that I went ahead and got the American version from HTS during their last sale. Perfer the overal completness of the packaging even if the back of the box shows a better product (Encore release with Silver Rollar)

foor
29th November 2008, 01:12 PM
These are out already? Time to start raiding local shops!!

Yeah right... who am I kidding. I live in Darwin...

Golden Phoenix
29th November 2008, 01:17 PM
Saw some at the Doncaster Myer. Wasn't impressed. Big pass for me

Stompy
29th November 2008, 01:24 PM
I was gonna get this til I saw it in person. The light grey trailer is too bright, and the two tone cab is too obvious. I don't mind Pinkimus but not Two-tonimus. Having the Takara Encore version really didn't help matters when it came to leaving this re-issue back on the shelf. Maybe if it's $50.

TF76
29th November 2008, 01:31 PM
It really suprised me how bad it was.

I know people on forums always seems to complain about everything but the ones I saw yesterday were truly crap.

Kind of sad really.

Paulbot
29th November 2008, 02:09 PM
I saw it for $100 today and I thought it didn't look that bad really, but I prefer the US packaging with the flap and all.

kup
29th November 2008, 02:15 PM
Myers Hurstville and Roselands are dangerously overstocked in this toy, each department had at least 20 on the shelf. I wouldn't be surprised if they remain shelf warmers and a few months from now we see them reduced half priced.

To be honest, once I saw it in person it didn't seem as awful as it does in the pictures but it is still a considerably inferior reissue. I went through several of them checking them out, they suffer from bad QC when it comes to the chorme. One of them had this big dent on the front grill while another had what looked like a hacking damage mark on the side as if someone hit it with an axe.

If you plan to buy this toy, check it very carefully before you do.

Ironhide63
22nd May 2009, 10:04 PM
DO NOT BUY THIS
I bought this...it was definitely not worth the money I paid for it. Seriously do not buy it, unless you want to waste money. I think the 20th anniversary Prime was the best one ever made. This one is dare I say, stupid. And pointless. Unless you want to be disappointed...:mad:

d*r*j*
23rd May 2009, 12:01 AM
DO NOT BUY THIS
I bought this...it was definitely not worth the money I paid for it. Seriously do not buy it, unless you want to waste money. I think the 20th anniversary Prime was the best one ever made. This one is dare I say, stupid. And pointless. Unless you want to be disappointed...:mad:

What didn't you like about it? I gave mine repro smokestacks and encore primes trailer... he looks great in vehicle mode. I then gave the 25th trailer fresh decepticon labels and put it on my custom g1 decepticon black prime.

TheDirtyDigger
23rd May 2009, 06:15 AM
I then gave the 25th trailer fresh decepticon labels and put it on my custom g1 decepticon black prime.

Can we see pics?

Ironhide63
23rd May 2009, 09:47 AM
What didn't you like about it? I gave mine repro smokestacks and encore primes trailer... he looks great in vehicle mode. I then gave the 25th trailer fresh decepticon labels and put it on my custom g1 decepticon black prime.

yea well...i suppose that wouldn't be too bad, but I just think its not what most people are expecting...and in my opinion its not exactly the best Optimus Prime ever made. Altho it would be interesting to see some pics...of your custom.

The_Damned
23rd May 2009, 10:14 AM
DO NOT BUY THIS

so what is wrong with it i saw it in a shop and though it didnt look as bad as everyone said?

GoktimusPrime
23rd May 2009, 11:01 AM
...this is why I get my reissues from Japan.

Sky Shadow
23rd May 2009, 11:05 AM
so what is wrong with it i saw it in a shop and though it didnt look as bad as everyone said?

I think the relevant main issues seem to be:

- pink chest,
- short smokestacks,
- long missiles,
- odd choice of grey for the trailer and
- iffy quality control.

Ironhide63
23rd May 2009, 11:10 AM

until you open it you probably wont realise...

d*r*j*
23rd May 2009, 12:20 PM
G1 Optimus Prime will forever be the number 1 toy of all time, especially for those kids born in the late seventies that got him for christmas in 1984/1985.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff83/RockNRoll138/carda005.jpg

The masterpiece version is just a tribute to this great toy... nothing will ever touch the original. Having said that the 25th release is probably the poorest representation so far.