PDA

View Full Version : MISB Collectors?

jaydisc
23rd January 2008, 09:46 PM
My love for TFs is all about the transforming... the cleverness, the engineering, etc. So, I've never understood the plight of the MISB collector. I'd love to hear some of what inspires them.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam in the past, but it'd be good to have on this fresh, new, minty board.

dirge
23rd January 2008, 09:48 PM
What you said, jay. It's the cleverness of the toys that grabs me. Which is why I'm more partial to toys with realistic alt modes, and generally dislike electronic gimmicks.

kup
23rd January 2008, 10:11 PM
I am also for the design so I open my toys. However what will initially get me to buy the toy will bet the actual character. Having said that I can get really dissapointed if I buy the toy of a character that I like and it turns out to have mediocre design or some aspect that does not appeal to me.
________
Buy glass bongs (http://glassbongs.org/)

1orion2many
23rd January 2008, 10:36 PM
:confused:Personally I don't see that there is a lot of difference between something that MIB or has been taken out and transformed a few times in a well looked after home, of course it is to my advantage when buying second hand because people then value thier TF's for a lot less:D.

GoktimusPrime
23rd January 2008, 11:00 PM
I totally agree with you jaydisc. Not just with Transformers, but I like playing with toys - that's why I collect them! I very seldomly keep toys sealed... what's the fun in that? Investment value? Toys appreciate very, very poorly. If I wanted to invest my money, I'd go buy some stock market shares.

I buy toys to play with. Buying a toy that I would never play with - to me - is like buying a book that I'd never intend to read or buying a piece of food that I'd never intend to eat (although I don't know if there's much collectibility in food unless you have it thoroughly well preserved or something :p).

Personally I don't see that there is a lot of difference between something that MIB or has been taken out and transformed a few times in a well looked after home,
Agreed. I can understand some people wanting to display the Transformers in packaging - and to that end Takara tends to do that a lot better than Hasbro. But keeping it sealed? It's just a piece of freakin' sticky tape. I knew a guy who collected Star Wars Miniatures - which he collected in triplicate, with one set he kept sealed in their individual bags and he would handle the minis and their cards with gloves on because he never wants anyone to have ever touched them. I reminded him that plenty of hands would've already touched these things in the factory in China. :p

On one hand I wonder if MISP collecting is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder or something related to autism/aspergers... but then, who's to say that loose collecting's that much different? We're probably on a lower part of the spectrum but it's still pretty compulsive. :) :)

jaydisc
23rd January 2008, 11:12 PM
Are any MISBers gonna chime in here?

STL
23rd January 2008, 11:24 PM
I believe S0undwave and Iceburn are both MISBers.

I have a few MISB but that's generally only after I've discovered how much I like the the figure in the first place. Either that or design of the packaging just rocks too much... which till this date hasn't really happened.

Gutsman Heavy
24th January 2008, 12:24 AM
those MISB'ers are MAD!!!!

iceburn
24th January 2008, 12:59 AM
Are any MISBers gonna chime in here?

ding dong...did I hear my nick being called??
*haha* anyways...there are certain of my series collections that will stayed 99% MISB e.g. Binaltech/Alternators, Cybertron, Classics, Star Wars Transformers, 6" Titaniums, 3" Titaniums, Movie

Other series that I've started purchasing mostly loosed or have opened up and played with so far are G1, Energon, Armada, RIDs and 2nd collection of Movie and Classic figures

I can say I've enjoyed both experiences but looked transforming the toys. Some figures I hate, some figures I adore too much but overall, like before...I'm kind of waiting to buy a house to have a room solely for my toys. I guess its there and then where they will be freed from their boxes?

roller
24th January 2008, 01:53 AM
i keep most of the new stuff sealed, no room anymore some i keep sealed cause they look sexy in their packaging eg:Takara stuff

and because i dont play with them like when i was a kid

im not that interested in the design process that much

liegeprime
24th January 2008, 08:30 AM
Ah Iceburn, you're gonna need the masters bedroom for your collection size and especially since you keep the boxes..:D I used the second largest bedroom in my house. At first I thought it would all fit in, but then I still have other figures waiting to migrate here and also I have other toys I want to display and already little room. I already moved my Comics collection to my bedroom as there's no more space for these shelves. I might even move my PC to my bedroom later on to get more shelf space.

As for keeping MISP/MISB - naaah I just keep the boxes I think look good, but I certainly keep them out of the their casings.. With the exception now of movie legends and a few Spychangers.. they dont take that much room anyhow ... I haven't decided if they will be let out just yet. Before I used to keep the backing cards ( Cybertron series) , but I threw them away when I moved to my house. Shoulda kept them actually as someone here might have better use for them. :)

Saintly
24th January 2008, 08:40 AM
I don't think there are any "TRUE" MISB collectors amongst us, is there?

I mean.. iceburn does open his toys well.. some of it.. perhaps the_damned? :D

iceburn
24th January 2008, 09:02 AM
I used to be "TRUE" until at a certain stage BUT when I realise there's not much point getting all MISBs especially old + older + oldest series with some figures that are rarely seen. New toys e.g. Movie and Classics line - I can leave these as MISB but it has come to a heavy cost of me keeping 2nds (which are now opened) as spares that might be sold later on

liege...will heed your advise but depends on my future wife too. But i'm sure if there's a garage, i'm gonna transform it to be sealed and air conditioned like an office of my own.

1orion2many
24th January 2008, 09:11 AM
:)I'm pretty sure Zippo is a MISB collector so he would most probably be the best one to voice his opinion about keeping his collection sealed:eek:.

iceburn
24th January 2008, 09:13 AM
i'm also sure The_Damn or Gutsman is...based on his video clips with those sealed TFs hanging on the wall....

GoktimusPrime
24th January 2008, 10:47 AM
iceburn's no longer a real MISP collector - he's just a loose collector in procrastination! :)

I used to try and collect all the boxes, but it was getting ridiculous in terms of the about of space they were taking up. So I've since thrown out the boxes I don't like and I now only keep the boxes I want. I find that I tend to throw out most of my Hasbro boxes but I've kept all of my Takara boxes (they just look so much nicer!).

If you really want to keep all your boxes, you're either gonna need to get some more storage space (and I find it hard enough to find space for the toys, let alone their boxes!) and/or flatten some of the boxes (although that would mean throwing out the insert trays).

iceburn
24th January 2008, 11:19 AM
iceburn's no longer a real MISP collector - he's just a loose collector in procrastination! :)

Totally agree..I've been comdemned
*haha* but i'm seriously enjoying this moment now than previously

Trailer Park Ninja
24th January 2008, 12:45 PM
I suppose I fit into the MISB Collector category so I'll chip in my 2 cents.

I have a very small Transformers collection by Ozformers Standards going by past collection pics. I'm very impressed by people's collections here, and at times very envious ;). My Transformers collection mainly consist of Hasbro Commemmoratives, Takara Reissues and Classics which are all MISB.

As I made a pact with the devil in my early teen years, and sold my collection of G1 Transformers, the prospect of collecting from scratch again was too daunting and expensive.

It was too hard to find original G1 Transformers in good condition at a decent price (considering how they can deteriorate with wear & tear over time). I know I have Shrapnel and Topspin from Ebay and they were probably my only loose purchases. Topspin was in pretty good nick but hardly a great transformer toy ;). Shrapnel's right leg is loose and so he stands like the Leaning Tower.

When the Hasbro Commemorative and Takara reissues came out a few years back, I saw this as a perfect opportunity to start collecting Transformers again and getting the figures that I had and some I didn't have as a kid.

Because of the bookshelf presentation of most of these reissues, it just displays well on the shelf. I have at times, in the early going had pangs of guilt and wanted to open them and play with them but I am at peace with keeping them MISB.

The main reason is nostalgic value to me. I like to peruse my collection from time to time and reminisce about my childhood with these toys but I don't really have the urge to break them out and play with them or display them. I like them to be in original condition that they are in and not deteriorate over time. And yes, I know some or most of these reissues are not the original mould but this is as close as I get to having back what I originally had.

I don't collect these toys as collectibles for resale. For investment purposes, I buy shares for a passive income stream and investment growth. It is the same reason, I was into comics, I collected them because I love the characters I grew up with and a good story. I do enjoy these Transformers the same way.

So coincidently, my Transformers collection will be limited to G1 reissues such as Hasbro Commemmoratives, Takara Reissues, Classics (love the G1 homages) and now the Encore series. I will never have a large collection as you guys (and I'm ok with this) because I only collect the stuff I grew up with. This means no RID, Armada, Beast Wars, Beast Machines etc, Movie toys, no matter how good the toy may be.

I made this conscious decision and have a set of rules in mind when it comes to collecting Transformers. As an adult, my priorities have changed and I have other interests/concerns such as my career, travelling overseas, social life and my financial future. Because of this mindset, I can still keep on collecting and minimise the space my MISB collection will take up.

Having said all that, I know the inner child needs to be fed and one of the things I did marvel as a kid with Transformers was the "how did they think of that?" sensation. I remember having contests with other kids to see how fast we could transform our figures or seeing if I could transform them blindfolded etc.

To this end, my duplicate collection of Classics will come into play, a few selected doubles of the Encore series and some loose Alternators for sale here and on Ebay will satisfy this need.

jaydisc
24th January 2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks TPN! Just what I was looking for.

So you keep a non-MISB set of Classics as well?

Trailer Park Ninja
24th January 2008, 02:41 PM
Yes, I have been buying duplicates (sometimes even triplicates for both alternate forms) so that I can open these to play and display. But, I've only been buying the Deluxe and Voyager class figures because I don't much care for the minatures.

By going after the figures I like and not being a completionist for the sake of gettting the whole line, I can buy doubles and triples even. I do agree with the point raised concerning what fun it would be if they were all MISB, so this is my compromise.

The Classics and Encore series being fairly recent and each release staggered, means I could do it this way. I'd rather just leave the Takara and Hasbro reissues as they are considering the volume, scarcity and price of the them now.

jaydisc
24th January 2008, 03:25 PM
Ah, ok, ok. So you are opening doubles and triples... akin to Iceburn.

I have some MISB stuff as well, for example all the Movie G1 repaints. I've opened up the originally colored ones for my entertainment but again, since I'm engineering focused, a new paint job isn't enough for me to warrant opening it.

I completely understand your comments about nostalgia as well.

However, it does indeed seem that all of our previously-thought-of-as-MISB-collector collectors all do have some doubles....

Do we have any MISB only collectors? Does such a thing exist?

Saintly
24th January 2008, 03:27 PM
give the thread some time to develop, these MISB'er will come out :D

benben2142
24th January 2008, 05:46 PM
I have 3 misb movie legends.

Zippo
24th January 2008, 07:23 PM
Im a MISB collector, but also open what I want to open.
Started selling off my new stuff though in order to focus on MISB or AFA graded G1/G2. New stuff takes up too much room to keep sealed, espy when I was collecting Japanese and American releases.

hoardz01
24th January 2008, 07:29 PM
i've been misb for about 3 months now. The "rush" of the first transformation is the reason i started collecting again, but I find that it is better to wait till you are down to use that rush to pick you up.

The thing I like about MISB is that you have what is basically the greatest toy store in your room. In times of need you can crack open that toy that you waited so long for. It can really change your day and can put a little sunshine back in a dark moment.

Obviously this is not true MISB collecting, but the majority of the stuff goes unopened.

The_Damned
24th January 2008, 07:47 PM
is this what you mean by a MISB collector

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/THE_DAMNED666/my%20collection%20january%202008/IMG_1928.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/THE_DAMNED666/my%20collection%20january%202008/IMG_1961.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/THE_DAMNED666/my%20collection%20january%202008/IMG_1927.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/THE_DAMNED666/my%20collection%20january%202008/IMG_1926.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/THE_DAMNED666/my%20collection%20january%202008/IMG_1922.jpg

Scattershot
24th January 2008, 07:50 PM
I'm a MISB collector. I just like the look of them in there packages and they make a nice display plus I cant stand undoing all the grey strips of plastic...lol

GoktimusPrime
24th January 2008, 08:20 PM
benben2142: don't you mean MOSC?

Let's revise some terminology here...

MISP = Mint In Sealed Package (can be box, card, whatever...)
MISB = Mint In Sealed Box - only applies to Transformers that are packaged in a box that has never opened before. A box being a cube/rectangular shaped piece of cardboard.
MOSC = Mint On Sealed Card - a carded Transformer that's never been opened before (easy to tell with Hasbro's carded figures since they're not designed to ever be repacked once opened).

See all those unopened carded figures The_Damned has hanging on his walls? They're MOSC. Those unopened boxed figures are MISB. MOSC and MISB are both collectively referred to as MISP.

Thus endeth the lesson. :)

I'm a MISB collector. I just like the look of them in there packages and they make a nice display plus I cant stand undoing all the grey strips of plastic...lol
There's actually metal inside those stupid twist ties. I use tin-snips - they free twist-tied figures lickety-split!

JMHO: Display-wise I much prefer looking at a loose collection. To me a MISP collection looks more like a toystore whereas a loose collection actually looks like a collection.

The main reason is nostalgic value to me. I like to peruse my collection from time to time and reminisce about my childhood with these toys but I don't really have the urge to break them out and play with them or display them. I like them to be in original condition that they are in and not deteriorate over time. And yes, I know some or most of these reissues are not the original mould but this is as close as I get to having back what I originally had.

We all collect G1 figures for nostalgic value (except maybe for benben2142 :p) - but to me, having them open and being able to apply their stickers and play with them gives me more nostalgia because I dunno about you, but I always opened and played with my Transformers when I was a kid! Keeping a G1 figure sealed does nothing for my sense of nostalgia as it was something that I would never even fathom of doing as a child. :p Opening carded figures with a blade to preserve the card?! That was unheard of! :)

As I mentioned before, I just love playing with my toys... as evident in my photocomics and stop-motion animations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYCqNbzRjg). :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/madboard01.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/madboard02.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/madboard03.jpg

SofaMan
24th January 2008, 09:02 PM
If you really want to keep all your boxes, you're either gonna need to get some more storage space (and I find it hard enough to find space for the toys, let alone their boxes!) and/or flatten some of the boxes (although that would mean throwing out the insert trays).

I started doing this about a year ago - I decided the insert trays didn't really add any value to the packaging, and they really were taking up too much damn room. Flattened out, my boxes take up less than a quarter of the space they used to.

There are however just a few boxes I leave intact, since they are quite nice as whole things.

iceburn
24th January 2008, 09:04 PM
TheDamn...it was you :P
hah!! I saw one loose Thundercracker....

hoardz01
24th January 2008, 09:38 PM
whoa.......can i come and worship at your shrine of MISB....thats inceredible. Like I said, the greatest toy store, in your own house.

That is truly impressive. Congrats.

Trailer Park Ninja
24th January 2008, 09:58 PM
We all collect G1 figures for nostalgic value (except maybe for benben2142 :p) - but to me, having them open and being able to apply their stickers and play with them gives me more nostalgia because I dunno about you, but I always opened and played with my Transformers when I was a kid! Keeping a G1 figure sealed does nothing for my sense of nostalgia as it was something that I would never even fathom of doing as a child. :p Opening carded figures with a blade to preserve the card?! That was unheard of! :)

As I mentioned before, I just love playing with my toys... as evident in my photocomics and [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vYCqNbzRjg]stop-motion anprime/avatars/madboard03.jpg[/IMG]

Well each to their own I guess. You get the nostalgic feeling through tactile contact by opening and playing with them. I don't open them because I don't need to do it to get that sense of nostalgia and for other reasons outlined in my original post.

Yeah, I opened and played with my orignal Transformers a lot as a kid. I spent countless hours as a kid transforming them back and forth, doing my version of the cartoon or creating my own adventures.

But I suppose in my adult years, I would think of myself more of a collector now. As a kid, Transformers were toys (my favourite toy) that I played with, to me now they are more like collectibles I enjoy having on display MISB etc than playing with them.

However, I do like a few loose to play around with so not everything I have is MISB etc.

So the distincition is the transition from kid to adult from playtoy to collectible for me. I never kept my Transformers in the box untouched as a kid, as soon as I got one, out of the box/packaging they came to join my growing band of Decepticons/Autobots in their neverending battle.

jaydisc
24th January 2008, 10:17 PM
i've been misb for about 3 months now. The "rush" of the first transformation is the reason i started collecting again, but I find that it is better to wait till you are down to use that rush to pick you up.

The thing I like about MISB is that you have what is basically the greatest toy store in your room. In times of need you can crack open that toy that you waited so long for. It can really change your day and can put a little sunshine back in a dark moment.

Obviously this is not true MISB collecting, but the majority of the stuff goes unopened.

That's just awesome. I'd SO LOVE to do the same thing, but lack any conscionable level of self control.

jaydisc
24th January 2008, 10:21 PM
is this what you mean by a MISB collector

Absolutely!!! Now tell me why!

Paulbot
24th January 2008, 10:40 PM
whoa.......can i come and worship at your shrine of MISB....thats inceredible. Like I said, the greatest toy store, in your own house.

Agree. And that's one thing I like about the few MISB toys I have - the feeling of being able to look at a toy like it's a new one (even if you've owned it for ages) and the feeling I could open it at some stage (and likely will).

1orion2many
24th January 2008, 10:48 PM
:)I was speaking to someone today at Toyworld and mentioned this discussion about MISB collectors, he came up with this view that if you never open up and play with the Transformers you collect then in essence you are just buying the box they came in. I'm a great believer in opening and having them transformed a few times but I am not one of these people that continually need to play with my TF's as I'm happy to display them in robot form:D.

GoktimusPrime
24th January 2008, 11:35 PM
I have enough trouble mustering self control not to open my current MISP Transformers - all of which are doubles of moulds I already own!

The_Damned
25th January 2008, 11:16 PM
if you have seen all my pics you will see that i am not a true misb collector as i do purchase doubles so i can open them.... and i all of my g1 transformers are loose, (well i cant afford mib ones though), for example i love the classic's deluxe s and voyagers so much i eventually purchased doubles so i could have a second set loose and out on display. same goes with the movie transformers i have bought some i could have as loose doubles. i must say it is an exspensive way of collecting.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/THE_DAMNED666/unmisbclassics.jpg

though i dont know how long i will be able to keep having all these sealed transformers as i am starting to run out of room.

and this concludes chapter 1 on the misb collector.

dirge
25th January 2008, 11:35 PM
Let's all head to Bateman's Bay and o...

...actually I can't be bothered to drive that far! (:

1orion2many
26th January 2008, 12:35 AM
:eek:You can only call it far if you want to drive from here in Perth:p:D.

iceburn
26th January 2008, 01:09 AM
if you have seen all my pics you will see that i am not a true misb collector as i do purchase doubles so i can open them.... and i all of my g1 transformers are loose, (well i cant afford mib ones though), for example i love the classic's deluxe s and voyagers so much i eventually purchased doubles so i could have a second set loose and out on display. same goes with the movie transformers i have bought some i could have as loose doubles. i must say it is an exspensive way of collecting.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/THE_DAMNED666/unmisbclassics.jpg

though i dont know how long i will be able to keep having all these sealed transformers as i am starting to run out of room.

and this concludes chapter 1 on the misb collector.

Hi5 to you on having a 2nd Classics loose set too.

Wondering how long we'll last once Classics 2.0 is out and will be a painful process to collect as the line/series will be getting bigger in the coming 2009 as well

Qn: Are there any true MISB collectors around still?? *haha*

jaydisc
26th January 2008, 09:35 AM

I was going to ask the same question. The MISB collector that I had assumed existed doesn't seem to.

dirge
26th January 2008, 10:10 AM

There was one, but someone opened him :rolleyes:

Kyle
26th January 2008, 07:05 PM
Semi MISB collector here. If I want to open up a toy I would get a double. :p

TheDirtyDigger
26th January 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm on the fence with this one. Half I open, half I don't. try to get two of each so I can do both.

Except when it comes to G1 (including reissues).

Gok stated my exact position when he relayed his own....

We all collect G1 figures for nostalgic value (except maybe for benben2142 ) - but to me, having them open and being able to apply their stickers and play with them gives me more nostalgia because I dunno about you, but I always opened and played with my Transformers when I was a kid! Keeping a G1 figure sealed does nothing for my sense of nostalgia as it was something that I would never even fathom of doing as a child

The_Damned
26th January 2008, 09:45 PM
but that is the point i not a child any more and dont have to play with toys:p....:eek:

GoktimusPrime
26th January 2008, 10:30 PM
I choose to play with toys. :)

http://www.geocities.com/planetsabretron/photo_setup.jpg

TheDirtyDigger
26th January 2008, 10:33 PM
Psychologists say it's mentally healthy to get in touch with your inner child.
I don't have to worry about that because I never got out of touch with it.

Only the most important things in life I take seriously. Everything else is just good for a laugh.

Kyle
27th January 2008, 11:20 AM
I'm guessing most of us are having WAY too many toys then we ever had in any childhood anyway. :p

It's a HOBBY, so do what you ENJOY doing! We can open up and play with our toys. And there's nothing wrong with keeping them in boxes if one prefers it that way. I choose to do both. :D

jaydisc
27th January 2008, 12:57 PM
I'm just surprised that there are no completely MISB collectors.... or actually, not surprised :D

iceburn
27th January 2008, 02:59 PM
well, there's still partial and its already amazing enough considering the images by The_Damned!! Rock on Ben...