PDA

View Full Version : Voice actor Jack Angel has died

griffin
20th October 2021, 09:59 AM
The voice of several main gen1 characters has apparently died. :(
https://news.tfw2005.com/2021/10/19/g1-voice-actor-jack-angel-omega-supreme-ultra-magnus-astrotrain-more-has-passed-away-443133

The main voices he did in the 80s cartoon - Omega Supreme, Ultra Magnus (post-movie), Astrotrain, Ramjet, Smokescreen, Breakdown, and a few other minor roles.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Jack_Angel

Metallikato
20th October 2021, 07:05 PM
Crying shame, good innings though. For me personally I think Astrotrain was his most iconic in TF's, I always liked all 3 Conehead Seekers too, unfortunately they're all gone now...
His voices for Zarkon and Hazaar in Voltron will stick forever though, after repeatedly renting those same handful of tapes that were around in the late 80's / early 90's.

Bidoofdude
20th October 2021, 07:34 PM
It’s pretty mind blowing that these deaths are only gonna keep coming faster and faster. We might not have much of the original cast left in the next decade. :(

griffin
20th October 2021, 07:50 PM
It is interesting to note that Jack Angel was doing a lot of "additional voices' roles in big budget animation movies like Frank Welker does, rating quite high on the rankings of people involved in the highest grossing movies (https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-star-records/worldwide/lifetime-acting/top-grossing-below-the-line-stars).

He was at one BotCon convention that I was at, in June 2014... and he was already 83 years old (he was 90 when he died).

(he is the one on the left, with other Gen1 voice actors (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/bc14/bc14gr.html) Hal Rayle, Samantha Newark and Michael McConnohie)

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/bc14/pb03.jpg

griffin
20th October 2021, 08:28 PM
It’s pretty mind blowing that these deaths are only gonna keep coming faster and faster. We might not have much of the original cast left in the next decade. :(

They are getting quite old, when you think that the first season of the cartoon was 37 years ago... and if the voice actors were at least 20 years old back then, none would be under 60 years now.
Jack Angel was one of the older ones too, as he was mid-50s when he started voicing Transformers (from season 2).

We have lost so many Gen1 character voices now...

Wally Burr - minor roles and substitute voices
Roger C. Carmel - Bruticus, Cyclonus, Motormaster, Unicron (post movie)
Phillip Clark - Dead End, Tantrum, Abdul Fakkadi, Auggie Cahnay
Rege Cordic - Menasor, Quintesson Judge (movie)
Scatman Crothers - Jazz
Walker Edmiston - Inferno
Marshall Efron - Hun-grrrr
Ron Feinberg - Headstrong
Ron Gans - Dragstrip
Linda Gary - Chromia
Dick Gautier - Apeface, Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime (post movie)
Ed Gilbert - Blitzwing, Thrust, Shawn Berger
Jim Gosa - Abominus
Johnny Haymer - Highbrow, Swindle, Vortex
Buster Jones - Blaster
Stan Jones - Scourge, Pounce, Weirdwolf, Lord Zarak
S. Marc Jordan - Onlsaught
Casey Kasem - Bluestreak, Cliffjumper, Dr Archeville, Teletran 1
Aron Kincaid - Sky Lynx
Bert Kramer - Computron
Chris Latta - Starscream, Defensor, Reflector, Skullcruncher, Wheeljack, Sparkplug, Snake
Don Messick - Gears, Ratchet, Scavenger
Jeff McKay - Fireflight
Leonard Nimoy - Galvatron (movie)
Tony Pope - Wreck-Gar (post movie)
Ken Sansom - Hound
Tony St James - Blot, Brawl, Cutthroat
Robert Stack - Ultra Magnus (movie)
Lionel Stander - Kup (movie)
John Stephenson - Huffer, Windcharger, Thundercracker, Alpha Trion, Kup (post movie)
Orson Welles - Unicron (movie)

DELTAprime
20th October 2021, 08:30 PM
The impression I got from interviews is that he was a kind older man. Plus he did some of my favourite G1 voices so that makes him great in my book.

Metallikato
21st October 2021, 11:36 AM
They are getting quite old, when you think that the first season of the cartoon was 37 years ago... and if the voice actors were at least 20 years old back then, none would be under 60 years now.
Jack Angel was one of the older ones too, as he was mid-50s when he started voicing Transformers (from season 2).

We have lost so many Gen1 character voices now...

Wally Burr - minor roles and substitute voices
Roger C. Carmel - Bruticus, Cyclonus, Motormaster, Unicron (post movie)
Phillip Clark - Dead End, Tantrum, Abdul Fakkadi, Auggie Cahnay
Rege Cordic - Menasor, Quintesson Judge (movie)
Scatman Crothers - Jazz
Walker Edmiston - Inferno
Marshall Efron - Hun-grrrr
Ron Feinberg - Headstrong
Ron Gans - Dragstrip
Linda Gary - Chromia
Dick Gautier - Apeface, Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime (post movie)
Ed Gilbert - Blitzwing, Thrust, Shawn Berger
Jim Gosa - Abominus
Johnny Haymer - Highbrow, Swindle, Vortex
Buster Jones - Blaster
Stan Jones - Scourge, Pounce, Weirdwolf, Lord Zarak
S. Marc Jordan - Onlsaught
Casey Kasem - Bluestreak, Cliffjumper, Dr Archeville, Teletran 1
Aron Kincaid - Sky Lynx
Bert Kramer - Computron
Chris Latta - Starscream, Defensor, Reflector, Skullcruncher, Wheeljack, Sparkplug, Snake
Don Messick - Gears, Ratchet, Scavenger
Jeff McKay - Fireflight
Leonard Nimoy - Galvatron (movie)
Tony Pope - Wreck-Gar (post movie)
Ken Sansom - Hound
Tony St James - Blot, Brawl, Cutthroat
Robert Stack - Ultra Magnus (movie)
Lionel Stander - Kup (movie)
John Stephenson - Huffer, Windcharger, Thundercracker, Alpha Trion, Kup (post movie)
Orson Welles - Unicron (movie)

Unfortunately there's another one to add to that list. Norm Alden, who did the voice of Kranix in the movie died back in 2012.