PDA

View Full Version : ToyKingdom bought out by Toyworld.

griffin
1st December 2008, 01:10 AM
Not really a TFs news item, but both franchises are regularly mentioned here.
Toyworld have finalised their recent acquisition of the ToyKingdom franchise (most stores are in southern Australia like VIC).
Mentioned in the November issue of Toy & Hobby Retailer Magazine, most of the 72 Toy Kingdom stores will probably be renamed Toyworld, but it is up to the individual store owners - they can remain as Toy Kingdom if they want, but only until they sell their store/business.
Apparently the Toy Kingdom franchise (not necessarily the individual businesses) was in debt to a seven figure amount and close to collapse before Toyworld approached them in 2007.

MV75
1st December 2008, 01:15 AM
I wonder if this would mean that the stuff that toy kingdom gets in, toyworld everywhere else will now too? :)

liegeprime
1st December 2008, 09:13 AM
Well a world is much bigger than a kingdom anyways heehehe :D:p:p
I have seen neither, is there any here in NSW? only other specuialty shop I ever went to here is Uncle Pete's...

kup
1st December 2008, 10:04 AM
I hope they come to Sydney in force, that way they can give TrU some proper competition and therefore make their prices more competitive.

k.wong23
1st December 2008, 10:12 AM
Yes compete with TRU! more competition leads to lower pricing :)

Look at Big W's prices generally hehe

Trailer Park Ninja
1st December 2008, 10:19 AM
In Sydney, Big W has stuff all in terms of Transformers. Their Transformers section is pitful, granted I've only been to 3 stores in Sydney, but my hunting has proved fruitless.

Can't be stuffed trawling other metro stores as the cost of fuel negates any worthwhile finds.

i_amtrunks
1st December 2008, 10:27 AM
Well a world is much bigger than a kingdom anyways heehehe :D:p:p
I have seen neither, is there any here in NSW? only other specuialty shop I ever went to here is Uncle Pete's...

I have a suspicion that Uncle Pete's Stores were already owned (or aligned) with ToyWorld already. Not sure why I think that way though...

lcz128
1st December 2008, 10:42 AM
Dang!

I hope this still means that TK gets the good stuff they get - I don't know that much about what TW gets - but my experience of TK has been generally very good :D

Pulse
1st December 2008, 10:44 AM
I have a suspicion that Uncle Pete's Stores were already owned (or aligned) with ToyWorld already. Not sure why I think that way though...

I can recall Uncle Pete's being around in the late 80's (There used to be a giant warehouse/store in Blacktown behind Main St) so maybe Uncle Pete's wanted to keep the name - for the recognition/association factor? *shrugs*

Eruntalon
1st December 2008, 10:47 AM
From memory, all the Toyworld's I have ever purchased merchandise from - be it action figures or hobby supplies, have always seemed to have larger floor areas and greater stock turn overs than any of the Toy Kingdom's I have ever purchased from. Hence it seems to make sense that the larger company is taking over the smaller.

dirge
1st December 2008, 10:47 AM
Uncle Pete's use the Toyworld distribution.

hotaru_oz
5th December 2008, 12:09 AM
This'll prove interesting in my home town of Kadina, both stores are located in the main street across from the road from each other.

Krayt
8th December 2008, 05:41 PM
Nearly the same in Bairnsdale..... basically one behind the other....

yet back in the day.... it was the TK that had a better TF range, even getting TM2 Megs and TH.... but i've always thought of TW being the better store...

Wheel-J
8th December 2008, 08:27 PM
Yesterday when I went to a local Toy World store, most, if not all of their TFs are stamped with Toy Kingdom price tags..