PDA

View Full Version : TFAn Review Ep6 (Spoilers)

griffin
24th January 2008, 03:21 AM
Post here your thoughts on the sixth episode of Transformers Animated. If this screens in Australia any time soon, we will re-look at this topic.

*** SPOILERS ***

Episode Synopsis apparently from Cartoon Network website:

Episode 6: Blast From the Past
Professor Sumdac Upgrades a trio of animatronic dinosaurs from a local theme park, but the creatures develop minds of their own & become rampaging Dinobots, bent on destroying the Autobots.

kup
24th January 2008, 10:16 AM
My views on this episode:

(need to scroll down a bit)
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=22&page=9
________
Magic Flight Launch Box (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/magic-flight-launch-box)

GoktimusPrime
24th January 2008, 10:25 PM
My views on the Animated Dinobots have also been expressed on the link provided by kup.

roller
29th January 2008, 10:17 PM
i watched the ep today

the skunk proffesor says in front of the Autobots that he reverse engeneered the robotic technology from alien parts, you think the autobots would have picked up on that

kup
30th January 2008, 12:35 AM
Yeah that is something that irked me at the end of that episode. You would expect Prime or someone to say "Hey! Where did you get our Technology?!!" but no one does in the same way that no one cares that they are Alien robots.

Stuff like this is what keeps me from fully enjoying this series as I did with Beast Wars. I wish that they make the Genius professor a bit smarter in future episodes as his stupidity is seriously hampering my enjoyment of this series as its absurd even at a kid's level. Same goes with other characters in such moments to what Roller described.
________
Amc ambassador history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/AMC_Ambassador)

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2008, 04:56 PM
Sumdac's robotics is still heniously primitive compared to proper Cybertronian technology, which would explain why the Autobots generally aren't suspicious. They don't seem terribly familiar with human technology, culture and other aspects of human civilisation/society in many aspects so they're probably oblivious to the technological leap that occured at the time of their crash. But even then, it's been largely attributed to Sumdac as a historical turning point - which happens (e.g.: advent of fire, writing, iron, roads, ships, sub-machine guns, flight, the atom bomb et al.).

I wish that they make the Genius professor a bit smarter in future episodes as his stupidity is seriously hampering my enjoyment of this series as its absurd even at a kid's level.
I agree. The whole "bumbling professor" routine is getting as worn as Bulkhead's "strong and stupid" thing. *sigh*

I was talking to a non-Transfan friend of mine who's been watching Animated and he told me that what irks him about this show is that there's nothing in it that engages him as an older/adult viewer. The entire show seems to be entirely geared towards children. There are references for G1 fans, but nothing to specifically engage an older audience. It isn't written on different levels or layers like Beast Wars or The Simpsons where kids and adults can enjoy it at different levels.

roller
30th January 2008, 08:53 PM
i can just picture the skunk being stabbed to death by a boomer from Bubblegum crisis tokyo 2040

Was he born in India? in the first ep it looks like America when he is a kid in the flashback. His accent troubles me

kup
30th January 2008, 09:06 PM
It hasn't been confirmed but he looks to be Indian and has been living in Detroit since his youth.

Something to credit the writers here is that its very rare to see Indian protagonists in US Television programs so its good to see that the main humans in this show are or appear to be from an Indian background.
________
NEVADA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES (http://nevada.dispensaries.org/)

roller
31st January 2008, 08:42 AM
my point exactly

like freakin star trek, showin that everyone on the planet can get along

do the other dinobots transform? Is there a Grimlock toy?

Paulbot
31st January 2008, 09:08 AM
The other Dinobots don't... yet

There is a Grimlock toy coming

STL
31st January 2008, 01:18 PM
I liked this episode. I think it touched on a variety of themes nicely. Appreciating people for what they are, fairness and freedom, right to life etc. Good for a kids show.

I didn't care for the Dinobots. I appreciate them being introduced and look forward to further appearances but their introduction didn't do anything for me. Nada at all. And I'm a Dinobot fan too...

The key is no longer even remotely tolerable. I understand that it's necessary to keep the girl around but what -can't- it do? It's like the ultimate weapon and the Autobots are like, yeah, let this girl keep it...

The things that keep this from being as enjoyable like, as Kup says, Beast Wars is the stupidity of the Autobots. THey aren't blatantly idiotic as they were in Cybertron or Energon but these points really peeve me off:
1.) The Dinobots change colour and they don't even notice!
2.) "Reverse engineering" anyone...?
3.) This little girl knows where every compartment on the Autobots are to stick that key. What did they do? Strip down their component parts and showed them all the key ports in their metallic hides? Really stupid.
4.) That Professor is brain yet he looks drugged up 90% of the time.

The best part was how they left the episode's ending hanging. You know u want to see more of the Dinobots and the transforming of Grimlock was a fresh sigh of relief.

As it stands, not bad. But still not that great.

kup
1st February 2008, 11:02 PM
Stop. Don't go there. There was a reason that other thread was locked and rules now in place.

We discuss animated for what it is, (a superhero series), and the story and characters portrayed within it. If you don't have anything to do but bitch and moan that it doesn't compare, then I really question why you or others watch animated, so stop watching animated if, to you, the few episodes so far pale against a whole completed past series.

If you want to discuss another series make another thread.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I still see the typical crapping on that these individual episode discussions were designed to put a halt to.

Please re-read Griffin's guidelines on the first post. We are allowed to bring up other Transformers series when discussing this particular episode. This includes episodes from the same series and other Transformers series comparisons in discussions as long as it relevant and within the context of this particular episode which STL has done correctly.

Inter-series comparisons that are not specifically dealing with this episode (including general series to series comparisons) are not to be posted here.

STL is making a series comparison that is specifically dealing with events in this particular episode. This is within the established guidelines of this thread.

As I understand it, the other thread was closed so that we can have more orderly discussions on each episode without cluttering everything in one thread. This makes it easy to read and discuss without diverting from the main topic or having to read an entire thread to find the episode you wish to discuss.
________
FORD SAV SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_SAV)

griffin
3rd February 2008, 01:26 AM
There is a difference between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law. I was hoping that a guideline on discussion parameters would prevent discussion from getting heated or agressive. That was the spirit of it, based on past experiance of unmoderated opinionated discussions, here and abroad. Unfortunately, following it to the letter, was too restrictive, and just prompted people to want to jump on others over it as soon as they could. The guideline may have been pre-empted by one person's irrational behaviour in earlier topics, but it was never instigated with just one person in mind. It was developed and re-written a number of times on the sole reason that comparative discussions have torn apart fan communities in the past. Unfortunately it will have to be the risk we take here, because I don't want to be sucking the fun out of people interacting here. Discussion topics will no longer be labelled with any additional rules or guidelines that are not already covered in the board guidelines topic (in the intro section). The Animated topics have already been editted to reflect this. You're free to say what you like about this and other TF series, but if the discussion gets too heated or agressive, the Mods/Admin will step in, as with any topic on this board. I just have to make sure I spend more time reading and monitoring topics, since it is ultimately my responsibility to provide the rest of you with an inviting environment.
And if you disrespect a moderator when they are contacting you about a moderator related issue, you will have to deal with me and explain why you should be allowed to continue interacting here. They are doing it on my behalf, so if you disrespect them, you are disrespecting me. If you don't agree with the moderator's decision, you come to me with your problem. Issues that do not concern other board members do not need to be thrust in their faces and spoil their time here.

I was called by another board staffer to address this issue because they were not being respected by members here, as they are entitled to. Moderators don't get paid for the job or get anything in return, they do it volunterily for your benefit as well as their own. The time spent monitoring this community and the frustrations caused by the occasional unruly member and how I deal with them, is a selfless task that can often effect their enjoyment of Transformers in the process.
The behaviour here, and the rules in place are my responsibility, so if any member or moderator has a problem with the way this community is run, tell me about it. I would like to think that the reason people choose to interact here is because I can be rational enough to adapt myself and this community to the needs of those who use it and respect it.

As for this particular topic, STL didn't appear to intentionally mean anything negative by mentioning Beast Wars, even if it could have been worded better to state it as his own opinion instead of someone else's. And even still, it wouldn't even rate something for the board staff to do anything about it anyway.
There was no reason for a non-staff member to publically post what they thought was a breach of the rules (reguardless of the interpretation). It is in the board guidelines for you to contact a staff member if you have a problem with someone's posting content. One member is not likely to listen to another member criticising their posting content in relation to the rules, so leave it to the people on this board who are responsible for it.
Both of the postings after STL's are here for reference, for other board members to see the reason behind my off-topic posting.

STL
3rd February 2008, 09:40 PM
If you don't have anything to do but bitch and moan that it doesn't compare, then I really question why you or others watch animated, so stop watching animated if, to you, the few episodes so far pale against a whole completed past series.

Wow. That's feisty. I didn't even realise this thread got that heated. Those threads weren't even there yesterday.

Hrm, my bad for mentioning Kup in my reference to BWs. (Sorry Kup!) I try and incorporate what I recall of other board member's thoughts that I agree with where I can, just gives that community feel which is what I like about this board. It wasn't meant to be a BWs is far better than so and so for reasons so and so because so and so and so just living up to what happened in so and so. Even the dot points after it aren't comparative, just picking up what I felt was wrong with the episode in general. Heck, 99% of the post commented on the Animated episode. It's a meanstreak to take that 1 line so far.

What I found offensive though is being referred to as someone who "bitch and moans". I don't like that being said about me or any other board member. We share differences of opinions on Transformers but I think it's gone too far when we start insulting and labelling others so flagrantly. For the 3 odd years now of being a TF fan again, I'd always avoided American and other forums b/c of the hostile slagging that happened every so often. I think diversity of opinion should be entited as long as it isn't aggressive and insulting. I felt I did not pass that line. I'm sorry if it was felt that I did. However, I do take offense to being referred to as such.

Thanks to the mods too for dealing with all the trouble a couple of words in my post caused too. Sorry for the inconvenience and time it took up.

griffin
3rd February 2008, 09:50 PM
You weren't the cause of the problem STL.

Gutsman Heavy
3rd February 2008, 10:21 PM
Am I the only one who finds it quite funny people get so hot under the collar about a kids TV show based on a toyline for kids? Just enjoy it for what it is, a childs cartoon, I love cartoons so I have no issue with the kiddy nature of this series!

Peace!

dirge
3rd February 2008, 10:49 PM
No more off topic posts, please (:

STL
4th February 2008, 01:49 PM
That was my favourite moment of the episode. Unfortunately, it came at the end. I do like the traditional choice of colours too. The more realistic earthy colours don't work for me on the Dinobots. The Shockwave Spotlight had them in realistic alt modes and that just looked fugly.

kup
4th February 2008, 02:11 PM
I am actually fairly pleased at how the Dinobots were designed in both the cartoon and toys. They seem to strike a nice balance between realistic/traditional and stylized character designs. If there is an Animated toy I would buy, it would be Grimlock.

I have not seen the continuation to the Dinobots story ark in IDW but since Shockwave burned off all of their synthetic pretender/Beast Wars like skin, it is very likely that they will end up with G1 color schemes.

I still have hopes that the Animated Dinobots will get smarter later on the series based on the synopsis but a lot of it relies on how the writers handle it and how much they want to persist on the 'dumb' aspect of them. I hope that their base of reference for the Dinobots is not exclusively confined to the Sunbow cartoon portrayal but also includes the comics.
________
RC113 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_RC113)

GoktimusPrime
4th February 2008, 04:16 PM
Am I the only one who finds it quite funny people get so hot under the collar about a kids TV show based on a toyline for kids? Just enjoy it for what it is, a childs cartoon, I love cartoons so I have no issue with the kiddy nature of this series!

Reply to this comment moved here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=6740#post6740)

Paulbot
4th February 2008, 04:32 PM
This thread is for discussing the Dinobots episode of Animated. All of this is off topic and should be posted in a general Animated discussion thread.

GoktimusPrime
4th February 2008, 05:43 PM
I wasn't aware that the more general Animated thread had been reopened. I'll move the discussion there. :)