PDA

View Full Version : MOTU new toy sightings

griffin
26th May 2022, 11:27 PM
Sightings for Masters of the Universe toys that are new toys out at retail or major online in Australia - not vintage or retro toys.
(never really had a new-toys topic here, because the last new series was mostly over by the time we started up this board)

-------------------------------

I saw some new MOTU toys at a BigW last week, and as someone who can't (legally) watch the new cartoons yet, some of these were a bit strange.

Is Stratos a female, or is the toy and artwork just very androgynous?
http://toycollectors.com.au/2022bw01.jpg

Battlecat... then and now...
http://toycollectors.com.au/2022bw02.jpg

Ram Ma'am??? Okay...
http://toycollectors.com.au/2022bw03.jpg

I had recently posted up a pic from Kmart of how there were a lot of retro toys out at the moment, and here we have it at BigW all together, straight out of the 80s and 80s with Beast Wars, TMNT, Power Rangers and MOTU...
http://toycollectors.com.au/2022bw04.jpg

Kranix
27th May 2022, 09:30 AM
I had recently posted up a pic from Kmart of how there were a lot of retro toys out at the moment, and here we have it at BigW all together, straight out of the 80s and 80s with Beast Wars, TMNT, Power Rangers and MOTU...
http://toycollectors.com.au/2022bw04.jpg

Those classic TMNT look very cool :cool: I loved TMNT as a kid but not payed it any attention as an adult but that pic is getting me going :D

M.A.S.K is the reissue I would love to see but I don't think it will happen. :(

Seraphim Prime
27th May 2022, 04:21 PM
I haven't watched the new 3D animated cartoon, but I do know the recast Ram Man as Ram Ma'am (which you have pictured)

I think the artwork for Stratos is just an unfortunate effect of trying to paint a silver highlight on a curved body, highlighting the chest, rather than being intentionally androgenous

Autocon
29th May 2022, 03:33 PM
Stratos is a guy

griffin
31st May 2022, 11:58 AM
On Saturday at Mr Toys in the Brisbane CBD - more of what I saw at BigW a few days earlier.
The Castle Grayskull looks really nice, and only $159 - with most of the accessories of the original, and includes an exclusive figure (the Sorceress in white).

http://toycollectors.com.au/2022tw05.jpg

http://toycollectors.com.au/2022tw06.jpg

Jetfire in the sky
6th June 2022, 09:15 PM
I haven't watched the new 3D animated cartoon, but I do know the recast Ram Man as Ram Ma'am (which you have pictured)

I think the artwork for Stratos is just an unfortunate effect of trying to paint a silver highlight on a curved body, highlighting the chest, rather than being intentionally androgenous

Once you see the new show (which is great imho) Stratos is very manly. I bloody love this series because its good MOTU but it puts a big seagull poop on the over the top left and right crap that is dividing so many. Anyway I'm, an old man, what do I know?

Jetfire in the sky
6th June 2022, 09:18 PM
How good are all these toys?! I'm still waiting for Lyn and Sorceress to hit our pegs. Man-E, while an important character, is a late entrant to the show, but has massive peg exposure. I guess his gimmick is pretty cool.

Autocon
6th June 2022, 09:41 PM
So theres three MOTU lines all at once! :O

Defcon
9th June 2022, 05:08 PM
More Masterverse figures appearing at Big W. Today I sighted New Eternia He-Man, and New Eternia Skeletor, also Teela and Merman. Merman seems to be the least popular, quiet a few left, the others probably all gone now.

Defcon
17th June 2022, 06:12 PM
My local Big W restocked Masterverse again, New Eternia He man and Skeletor they sold in 1 or 2 days, other wave mates still sitting on the shelf.

griffin
18th June 2022, 09:21 PM
Saw some new MOTU toys at BigW Loganholme while I was there looking for TFs...

http://toycollectors.com.au/2022bw14.jpg

Skyfire
23rd June 2022, 04:24 PM
At Toymate Innaloo, Origins He-man (a few) and 1 each of Clawful, Anti-Eternia He-man, Skeletor, Horder Trooper and Sun-Man. $19.99 each.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52167372890_b8a1bacae0_k.jpg

griffin
23rd June 2022, 10:59 PM
Horde Trooper from the original 80s toyline was one that would demand huge prices on the secondary market, I think because it wouldn't have been a high demand toy at the time of release, but when collectors became adults, they must have been buying up multiples to army build... making them even rarer to find.

I'd never heard of Sun-Man before, so had to look it up. I thought it must have just been a new character to pad out the toyline with some new items with the classic ones, but apparently it was created for a different toyline in 1985 to give black kids a black superhero, and has now been brought into the MOTU toyline/universe with this release.

The black He-man toy (based on a comic character) looks lazy... and undermines Mattel's attempt of being more racially inclusive with more coloured characters, by now having an evil toy done in stereotypical black. At least Faker was blue (for a different reason), as an evil version of He-man, but just doing an evil version in black goes back to teaching kids the biblical concept that black is evil and white is good. The black doesn't look realistic anyway, so go with a different colour.

Defcon
5th July 2022, 02:49 PM
I'd never heard of Sun-Man before, so had to look it up. I thought it must have just been a new character to pad out the toyline with some new items with the classic ones, but apparently it was created for a different toyline in 1985 to give black kids a black superhero, and has now been brought into the MOTU toyline/universe with this release.

The black He-man toy (based on a comic character) looks lazy... and undermines Mattel's attempt of being more racially inclusive with more coloured characters, by now having an evil toy done in stereotypical black. At least Faker was blue (for a different reason), as an evil version of He-man, but just doing an evil version in black goes back to teaching kids the biblical concept that black is evil and white is good. The black doesn't look realistic anyway, so go with a different colour. I believe a dark grey may have looked better on anti-eternia he man, so that the black and red shield and harness looks different to the rest of the figure. Overall the figure looks unnatural like something from another world and has red eyes, Mattel has pitted Sun-man and anti-eternia heman as adversaries, in a mini comic that is included.

Jetfire in the sky
1st August 2022, 09:37 PM
Horde Trooper from the original 80s toyline was one that would demand huge prices on the secondary market, I think because it wouldn't have been a high demand toy at the time of release, but when collectors became adults, they must have been buying up multiples to army build... making them even rarer to find.

The black He-man toy (based on a comic character) looks lazy... and undermines Mattel's attempt of being more racially inclusive with more coloured characters, by now having an evil toy done in stereotypical black. At least Faker was blue (for a different reason), as an evil version of He-man, but just doing an evil version in black goes back to teaching kids the biblical concept that black is evil and white is good. The black doesn't look realistic anyway, so go with a different colour.

The Horde Troopers would fall apart with an activation of their gimmick, so finding a modern day complete one is difficult, hence their high asking price. There was a wain in MOTU around their time of release but they definitely didn't shelf warm due to the whole Horde thing being bad-ass. I'm amazed at the figures that Skyfire has shown. We have He-Man and Skeletor at the $19 price point and Battle Cat. Nothing else from the classics.

JJJ
15th August 2022, 05:49 PM
Wave 9 of Origins confirmed to be at Big W. There have been sightings across the country the past week, and I've just picked up all 4 toys at Big W Mildura. Looks like they only got a single case, of course. Still not listed on their web site.

reillyd
22nd August 2022, 09:30 PM
I picked up a full set across two different Big W stores last week. I was *so* surprised to see Wave 9. But its multilingual comic so no text. Still, can’t beat the price. It came it at higher than the $19 He-man/Skeletor though, somewhere low to mid 20’s. So must be a different SKU

Defcon
4th October 2022, 08:52 PM
New Masterverse figures at Big W. I have seen Catra, Zodac, and the new Skeletor and He-Man based on the lastest cartoon but in the Masterverse line.

Defcon
12th October 2022, 03:12 PM
Mr Toys Toyworld at Macgregor has Masterverse He-Man 40 years edition for $37.99

reillyd
9th December 2022, 02:16 PM
More MOTU Origins released at most Big W’s I’ve seen this week, as well as new assortments of masterverse.

I picked up New Eternia Battle Armor He-man. Now you take the head from the 40th edition Masterverse, you got Battle Armor He-man and a funky shield.

JJJ
9th December 2022, 04:29 PM
Toyworld just got in wave 10, for $25 each. Bought Randor, Digitino, Trap Jaw & Whiplash this morning. Postage was $15.

Omega Metro
9th December 2022, 06:41 PM
Toyworld just got in wave 10, for $25 each. Bought Randor, Digitino, Trap Jaw & Whiplash this morning. Postage was $15.
Me too. We never get anything new here in WA. Reasonable prices and they always ship really fast. Something a lot of other online stores can learn from. Coming from Hobart of all places.

griffin
9th December 2022, 07:11 PM
Mr Toys Toyworld at Macgregor has Masterverse He-Man 40 years edition for $37.99

I didn't remember this sighting when I saw this on Amazon Australia last month, and I purchased it, as I thought it would go well with my original 80s He-man... and it made me realise that it has almost been 40 years since I was first exposed to MOTU toys (in 1983).
The ironic thing is, that even though I was exposed to MOTU before Transformers, I never owned a MOTU toy as a kid. I just had friends and cousins who had MOTU toys that I played with.

reillyd
15th December 2022, 11:11 PM
None of the Gold Coast Toyworld Stores have stock of the new MOTU Wave 10…. Just plenty of wave 1 he-man and skeletons, battle cats and castle grey skulls. Not clear if they’ve been cleared out by scalpers (quite a few listed on eBay for local sellers), or just didn’t get any in. The Toyworld stores don’t ever know what stock they’re getting either.

If we’re lucky, it will eventually turn up at Toyworld and Big W stores. Keep checking your locals, I guess.

JJJ
16th December 2022, 07:31 AM
My wave 10 toys were dispatched from Hobart, it turns out. I expect people are buying online rather than in store.

Defcon
22nd December 2022, 09:10 PM
I didn't remember this sighting when I saw this on Amazon Australia last month, and I purchased it, as I thought it would go well with my original 80s He-man... and it made me realise that it has almost been 40 years since I was first exposed to MOTU toys (in 1983).
The ironic thing is, that even though I was exposed to MOTU before Transformers, I never owned a MOTU toy as a kid. I just had friends and cousins who had MOTU toys that I played with.
It was an impulse buy for me, I knew it was on Amazon, and was planning to order, happy to see at retail, at the time the price was just about the same. I never had any Motu toys, I just missed out, I don’t remember see them physically in a shop, but plenty of memories of the commercials, catalogues and cartoon series.

Skyfire
23rd December 2022, 01:30 PM
Big W Belmont - restock of Skeletor and 1x Pig Head (from Sun Man). I will post a pic later. EDIT: Pic added.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52580690381_ebb2fb859f_k.jpg

Omega Metro
23rd December 2022, 06:54 PM
Skeletors are on clearance for $13 at BigW by the way.

Defcon
3rd January 2023, 11:12 PM
Big W Garden City had a few origins Pig Head,. Also a new wave of Masterverse , Jitsu, Battle Armor He Man, Sun Man, and He-Ro. I picked up a couple of figures as I don’t really want to be completist. Hopefully they restock a couple of times.

Skyfire
6th January 2023, 03:47 PM
Big W Belmont - 1x Mantenna. Also special edition (not sure what they're called - look like the origin toys with different accessories) He-man and Skeletor. EDIT: pic added and forgot to mention that a Pig-Head was still there.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52610098476_b318966a1e_b.jpg

Thurmus
6th January 2023, 04:43 PM
I think I may have missed my timing but I am after an origins Webstor if anyone sees one.

JJJ
6th January 2023, 09:40 PM
You won't find one in Australia at retail (that was wave 6, very briefly found at Big W this time last year). Maybe on e-bay somewhere. Or from a retailer in the US - we still see from time to time people complaining about that wave clogging shelves. If you want to pay silly money, you can find one on Amazon AU from Amazon US.

Thurmus
7th January 2023, 11:39 AM
When we were in Hawaii in November I saw every figure from that wave except Webstor at Walmart. Thanks for letting me know.

reillyd
9th January 2023, 01:58 PM
Webstor is really, really expensive for some reason on the secondary market. I’d try to lock it in now though, as it’s likely to climb in price.

JJJ
9th January 2023, 04:35 PM
I think it is the same as all the other waves - once they went out of stock at retailers (and especially once it became known that production on the waves had ceased), the prices rocketed up. Wave 2 is currently seeing re-release at US Targets, and there have been persistent rumours for about a year now that a new run of wave 3 was coming. So maaaaaaybe Wave 6 will see a new production run later this year or early next... But don't rely on my speculation here :)

reillyd
2nd February 2023, 10:01 PM
Oh wow. While most of my Big W were clogged with the Pig-head wave, they seem to have completely skipped over the Snake-Armour He-man wave entirely and are now stocking the latest wave!!!! Snake Armor Skeletor Wave 12! Includes Roboto, a snakeman character I ‘m not familiar with, and a Rulers of the Sun figure.

Even better, it’s in English packaging, not multilingual, so we get a comic

JJJ
3rd February 2023, 07:42 AM
Oh wow. While most of my Big W were clogged with the Pig-head wave, they seem to have completely skipped over the Snake-Armour He-man wave entirely and are now stocking the latest wave!!!! Snake Armor Skeletor Wave 12! Includes Roboto, a snakeman character I �m not familiar with, and a Rulers of the Sun figure.

Even better, it�s in English packaging, not multilingual, so we get a comic

Whaaaaaat?!?!? That wave (wave 12, Snake Armour Skelly, mini-comic Roboto, Tung Lashor, and Hypno) is barely out at the US vendors who get stuff the very earliest, and isn't expected at general retail for ages yet.

Where is this Big W, and how do I get my Big W to stock stuff, damn it?

reillyd
3rd February 2023, 06:15 PM
All four figures from that wave were at Big W Pacific Fair, Broadbeach. But all the local ones on the coast are still clogged with Wave 10 Pigmans. I’ve seen three or four in a store, so looks like they restocked and got more wave 10.

If you want to maximise your chance, go to the Big W website for the MOTU Origins assortment, and use the postcode finder. Anything with low stock will be a bust, but if you see ‘In Stock’ then it’s likely to have been a restock. Whether it will be with Wave 11, or Wave 12, I couldn’t say.

The other option would be to order like a lot of them online, and just return the ones you don’t want. I’ve never tried that, but I assume they’d accept them. I’d order more than 4, so they HAVE to source it from a new case.

Kyle
3rd February 2023, 11:57 PM
These were found at two Big W stores in WA today:

JJJ
4th February 2023, 09:11 AM
Both wave 11 and 12 at Big W? Maybe they have indeed finally managed to get their shit in order with regard to stock. There's a Melbourne e-bayer with wave 12 on hand as well now.

Omega Metro
16th February 2023, 02:59 PM
Origins Rattlor and Kobra Kahn wave are showing up Toymate if anyone is still looking. $19.99

Bemblebuu
22nd February 2023, 11:28 AM
Picked up a Battle Cat from Big W for $29 (originally $47). Been wanting a Battle Cat ever since I was a wee lad.

JJJ
22nd February 2023, 07:02 PM
So, wave 13 is available at Big W somewhere in Melbourne (I have seen pictures (https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/motu-origins-thread.1189126/page-1009#post-21072120)). Not available anywhere else in the world yet, and wave 12 made its appearance here ahead of everyone else just a couple of weeks ago. Mattel's distribution is seriously up the pole.

If anyone happens to see any in Melbourne, I'd be happy to pay for them and postage, cos I've got a feeling that these won't make it to Mildura.

For reference, wave 13 is Snake Teela, Snake Trooper, Slamuria, 200x King Randor, and possibly mini-comic Man-E-Faces. If the rumours about a second wave with two different assortments is correct, two of these toys will be half as numerous as the others. Man-E-Faces is supposed to be one of the uncommon ones, don't know which of the other four is uncommon as well (assuming any of them are).

reillyd
2nd March 2023, 08:05 PM
Well scalpers are selling this wave on eBay for $99 per figure. So good luck finding it in the wild

Skyfire
11th March 2023, 12:54 PM
Big W Riverton has 1 each of Snake Armour He-man, Bolt-man, Kobra Khan, Ratlor.

Omega Metro
11th March 2023, 02:21 PM
Big W Riverton has 1 each of Snake Armour He-man, Bolt-man, Kobra Khan, Ratlor.

Yeah went origins hunting this morning. Seems WA has been lumbered with that wave as they are at Karrinyup and Whitfords too. Already have them so passed.

Defcon
12th March 2023, 11:16 AM
So I managed to pick up Boltman and Rattlor from Big W, I want the other two from the wave, but don't like my chances. A Mr Toys Toyworld had wave 12, I grabbed 1 of each, don't think there was anymore left. At $20 these are big savings compared to buying online or ebay. Wave 12 has Roboto, Tung Lashor, Snake Armor Skeletor, and Hypno (Sun Man character with a giant Lollipop). Wave 12 has been quite abundant on Ebay. I completely missed wave 10 at retail, did see a Digitino.

Defcon
14th March 2023, 07:57 PM
Bought a Kobra Kahn and Snake Armor He Man from Big W at Garden City. Nothing else is remaining, and lucky the ones I needed were right there! from a distance it looked empty, super happy.

Defcon
21st March 2023, 07:05 PM
Picked up King Randor and Slamurai from a local Big W. Nothing else for Origins, no Snake Teela or Snake Trooper. There are some Masterverse Skeletor and He-Man, the stylised versions from the recent He-Man cartoon series

Defcon
26th March 2023, 02:45 PM
TK Maxx at Macgregor, found 1x Masterverse Skelegod on clearance for $25, nothing else there of much interest. I did buy the Skelegod figure, its not a rare figure, always curious about picking it up.

Defcon
19th April 2023, 02:19 PM
Masterverse Two Bad is in stock at Mr Toys Toyworld Macgregor for $54.99
Is also on Amazon reduced to $54.99 previously price was a fair bit higher at around $69.99 but price has gone up and down.

Skyfire
25th July 2023, 06:50 PM
Toymate Innaloo is clearing Origins figures at $15 (there were many He-mans, 2x Skeletor and 2x Pig-Head) and selling Battle Cat (many) at $25.

Skyfire
20th October 2023, 07:26 PM
Big W Belmont, this morning, had 1x Spikor, 1x SSSqueeze, 1x Serpent Claw Man-At-Arms.

reillyd
14th November 2023, 12:57 PM
Big W Broadbeach and Robina had Masterverse Ram-Man (huge oversized package) for $49. Seems a bargain for that amount of toy.

R0B0T
17th November 2023, 05:52 PM
Picked up a Masterverse anniversary He-man from TKMAXX Tuggeranong (ACT) for $24.99

Skyfire
18th November 2023, 02:27 PM
Toymate Cannington has 2x Origin Castle Greyskulls for $99, plus 5% off that for members.

JJJ
18th November 2023, 04:38 PM
Big W Mildura has a single Serpent Claw Man-At-Arms, the first MOTU Origins toy I've seen on a shelf since February. Naturally there was no marked place for it, it was simply dumped amongst a pile of stuff.

JJJ
9th December 2023, 05:37 PM
Now this is interesting.

At JB today I saw several of the larger (8.5 inch), more articulated (well, they've got elbows...) He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe toys, including Mer-Man, which I didn't even know had been made.

Along with them was a single Savage Eternia Skeletor from the smaller He-Man line, which I understand to be considered quite rare (the toyline may or may not have survived the end of the Netflix cartoon, and this item appears to have had limited release in any case).

Plus there was a Masterverse He-Man of some sort.

Now, JB hasn't previously stocked MOTU to my recollection. And there's a new push for Origins coming from Mattel in the new year, with the Turtles of Grayskull and Cartoon Collection. I wonder if they'll be turning up as well?

Skyfire
13th December 2023, 04:48 PM
Big W has the World's Smallest figures with the comic book, $10. Looks like a case has 2 each of Leo Skeletor, Skeletor, He-man, Orko, Teela, and Slime Pit He-man (as well as 2 each of Optimus Prime, Starscream, Bumblebee, Megatron, Soundwave, Arcee).

reillyd
11th January 2024, 10:08 PM
Although overpriced, the new MOTU Origins Turtles crossover wave 1 is available from Amazon. They look very, very cool

Donny as man-at-arms (https://www.amazon.com.au/Masters-Universe-Origins-Teenage-Donatello/dp/B0CBNMHHYY/ref=sr_1_2?crid=382L2P03Z4RNV&keywords=Masters+turtles&qid=1704971311&sprefix=masters+turtle%2Caps%2C306&sr=8-2)