PDA

View Full Version : Redundent Tech

Autocon
30th June 2022, 09:54 PM
What do you do for movies tv and music? Do you bother owning anything or just use sub services eg netflix disney spotify?

Sanity is closing down and it is getting harder to find cds dvds blu rays.

If you are having a party what do you do for music? Spotify from phone to sound system?

Handsprime
30th June 2022, 10:51 PM
I mostly use iTunes. While I am a little old fashioned, my biggest reason is that there is so much music not on streaming services, that the only way I can listen to it, is by purchasing the CD and ripping it onto my computer. While I do tend to stream new songs on Spotify, the majority of listening is via iTunes as I like to create playlists that combine both older tunes, and newer tunes.

DELTAprime
30th June 2022, 11:50 PM
I've gotten rid of most of my CDs. I pretty much just have CDs I couldn't buy on iTunes. Though ultimately I'm 90% finished transitioning to YouTube Premium which includes YouTube Music. Very few things I own on iTunes or CD are not available on YouTube Music, and what isn't on there I just upload to my library.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about my movies and TV shows. But I'm thinking if Disney owns it I should be able to get rid of the DVD/Bluray and just sub to Disney Plus when I feel like watching The Loin King for the 1000th time. Not sure about the other movie/TV companies though.

As for games, I haven't bought a game disk in maybe a decade with the exception of some highly discounted stuff I've bought from work. This is a double-edged sword though specifically on the Nintendo and Sony sides. Steam, Epic Origin, Ubi and GOG on PC don't go taking away your ability to download what you own. Also, Microsoft has not taken away the ability to download what you own since the OG Xbox because from 2005 onwards Xbox has been fully integrated into the larger Microsoft digital purchase infrastructure. However, Sony has recently tried to kill every console's online purchase and download capabilities prior to the PS4 and Nintendo is like the grim reaper when it comes to turning off your digital ownership on previous-gen console's games.

I personally feel better without disk taking up space in my house, but I understand why people still by CD's, DVD's, Blu-rays and physical games.

Ralph Wiggum
1st July 2022, 01:17 AM
I still buy 4k discs as it still beats streaming imo. But I’m very selective because my bookshelf is nearly full, so I pick movies that I’m really into and make the most of HD, ie blockbuster films like MCU, DC, Star Wars, Transformers, etc. Anything else I can live with streaming.
Haven’t bought a CD in decades, its all iTunes now.
Games-wise, on PC its digital but for my PS5, its disc not through choice, but because the PS Store is such a ripoff.

Autocon
1st July 2022, 02:13 AM
Baah itunes. I lost access to my account and lost all the songs.

What if itunes or other online services shut down? The internet is down?

I must be too old school :(

Thurmus
1st July 2022, 07:42 AM
I am with you Autocon. Prefer to have the CD.

DELTAprime
1st July 2022, 09:23 AM
Baah itunes. I lost access to my account and lost all the songs.

What if itunes or other online services shut down? The internet is down?

I must be too old school :(

iTunes shutting down or the internet being down is not a concern for music. All music from iTunes is DRM free and can be played without an internet connection.

Handsprime
1st July 2022, 10:05 AM
iTunes shutting down or the internet being down is not a concern for music. All music from iTunes is DRM free and can be played without an internet connection.

Yeah if iTunes shut down, I would just move to another music player. Google Play used to be my favourite music store, but Google decided that they should just transfer it to YouTube music. I feel a couple of albums have become lost to time because of that.

Paulbot
1st July 2022, 03:15 PM
I still buy my favourite movies on DVD or Bluray so I know I have a copy and am never at the whim of the streaming services. JB HiFi is still a steady supplier of these, while most other shops are getting out of the market (remember when Kmart had large CD and DVD sections, I remember buying a couple of cassingles at Kmart in the early 90s!).

For music I've only bought digitally for the most part (unless I've been able to buy a CD cheaper than buying the album on itunes which has happened a few times). Haven't got into the streaming music space.

XMan
1st July 2022, 04:11 PM
What do you do for movies tv and music? Do you bother owning anything or just use sub services eg netflix disney spotify?

Sanity is closing down and it is getting harder to find cds dvds blu rays.

If you are having a party what do you do for music? Spotify from phone to sound system?

Is Sanity actually closing or just moving online? They have great sales and stock, their Anime is better than JB's and I just bought some Harry Potter 3D puzzles from them.

I always buy my movies in 4K and anime on blu-ray so have a big collection. And parties is Apple Music to sound system. I sold all my CD's and DVD's

Autocon
1st July 2022, 05:18 PM
Is Sanity actually closing or just moving online? They have great sales and stock, their Anime is better than JB's and I just bought some Harry Potter 3D puzzles from them.

I always buy my movies in 4K and anime on blu-ray so have a big collection. And parties is Apple Music to sound system. I sold all my CD's and DVD's

The stores are closing. Midland now. Sure the others will follow. 75% off so 5.50 for movies cds etc. Limited stock left now

christalcase
2nd July 2022, 11:37 AM
Stopped buying blu-rays around two years ago when I realised I don't have much time now so I don't rewatch movies as much as I used to. Never had CDs as I just downloaded the MP3s, a lot of the music I listen to is too niche to be on streaming services.

Gaming though, I highly prefer physical if possible on consoles (on PC, there is no choice but to use Steam, GOG etc), mainly due to cost as I can usually get physical for lower than sales on digital copies (given I play games years after their release), plus I can resell later to recoup some money as I don't usually replay most games. No difference in terms of downloading given every game has so many patches now so purely financial reason.

Autocon
2nd July 2022, 02:34 PM
Stopped buying blu-rays around two years ago when I realised I don't have much time now so I don't rewatch movies as much as I used to. Never had CDs as I just downloaded the MP3s, a lot of the music I listen to is too niche to be on streaming services.

Gaming though, I highly prefer physical if possible on consoles (on PC, there is no choice but to use Steam, GOG etc), mainly due to cost as I can usually get physical for lower than sales on digital copies (given I play games years after their release), plus I can resell later to recoup some money as I don't usually replay most games. No difference in terms of downloading given every game has so many patches now so purely financial reason.

Big greedy game companies want to stamp out the 2nd hand market. Make it all digital so there are no cheap 2nd hand options

DELTAprime
9th July 2022, 07:51 PM
This is a good reason for me to never buy anything on a PlayStation.

https://www.techspot.com/news/95234-next-month-sony-remove-hundreds-purchased-movies-shows.html

Autocon
9th July 2022, 09:34 PM
I never purchased anything from the sony playstation store, but I did rent titles for $6 and was a good blockbuster substitute for new releases.

People are loosing their independents to big corporations, they have all the control and can take it away at any time.

Sad state of affairs for younger generation but they wont know any better. Think of photos, do they have any in hand for their future children to see what their grandparents look like or themselves when younger?