PDA

View Full Version : Covers for Spotlight Drift

STL
9th December 2008, 09:41 AM
http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/12/drift-2-electric-boogaloo.html

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2008/12/blog-post.html

There's some ugliness on that blog in the comments below that you might want to ignore. I personally think he looks cool and look forward to giving him a chance.

blackie
9th December 2008, 09:59 AM
the third one looks freaken sweet
will be picking this one up

i_amtrunks
9th December 2008, 12:11 PM
Meh.

Drift is not yet a character I could even pretend to care about, and yet I have the feeling he will be uber important in the AHM series.

he probably should have gotten a Spotlight ahead of Blurr (since Blurr's Spotlight was rather empty).

Lord_Zed
9th December 2008, 01:14 PM
Look good, hopefully Drift wont be the Transformers equivelant of Itchy and Scratchies, Poochie.

Paulbot
9th December 2008, 01:38 PM
Drift gets a Spotlight? I thought AHM was going to spotlight the character. A bit odd.

griffin
9th December 2008, 02:37 PM
Meh.

Drift is not yet a character I could even pretend to care about, and yet I have the feeling he will be uber important in the AHM series.

Would any of us be any different? I know that if I was signed up to do a TFs comic, the fanboy in me would want to feature one or more of my many original characters. This is one fan who has actually been given the chance to do just that (and get Hasbro to do an actual toy of it), which should inspire more of us to aim for the same, somehow.

i_amtrunks
9th December 2008, 04:28 PM
Drift gets a Spotlight? I thought AHM was going to spotlight the character. A bit odd.

If he is, it has yet to be announced, I only meant that perhaps he should have been given the spotlight slot that Blurr got instead, rather than waste pages of AHM story to flesh him out/introduce him to the fandom.

Would any of us be any different? I know that if I was signed up to do a TFs comic, the fanboy in me would want to feature one or more of my many original characters.

Fair enough.
Personally I think there are plenty of already made Transformers characters that could be used or expanded on first, and in a series that really focuses on the early waves of figures adding a brand new fanwank character kinda feels wrong. Thats just my opinion though.

FFN
9th December 2008, 05:41 PM
Would any of us be any different? I know that if I was signed up to do a TFs comic, the fanboy in me would want to feature one or more of my many original characters. This is one fan who has actually been given the chance to do just that (and get Hasbro to do an actual toy of it), which should inspire more of us to aim for the same, somehow. Thing is, Drift sounds a bit meh.

Did Hasbro ever confirm a Drift toy?

GoktimusPrime
9th December 2008, 06:28 PM
I'm not thrilled because I know nothing about Drift - but I reserve final judgement until I know more about him. Or her. It.

Where's Spotlight: Time Warrior?

swoop
9th December 2008, 07:42 PM
I dont understand all the hate for the character. I have'nt read the latest AHM yet, but so far he hasn't had a single line. from what I've read most people dislike him simply because he is shane's creation and that they dont like AHM. Honestly that isn't much of a reason to slag of a character that as yet we nothing about other than him being a nod to japanes culture. Personally I think its good to try out new characters, and I'll be keeping an open mind about drift until I've atleast read something about him

Sky Shadow
9th December 2008, 08:18 PM
Would any of us be any different?

God yes. I'd rather spotlight any one of the hundreds of Transformers who haven't received enough attention than create my own fanboyish one. McCarthy should have just used Powerdasher.

(Actually, that would have been awesome. If IDW ever release Spotlight: Powerdasher, I promise to buy fifteen copies.)

STL
9th December 2008, 11:25 PM
Did Hasbro ever confirm a Drift toy?

Not Hasbro but IDW confirmed it a few weeks back now. I can't dig it up though. :confused: ahh here we go (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2543&highlight=Drift+IDW).

FFN
10th December 2008, 12:32 AM
God yes. I'd rather spotlight any one of the hundreds of Transformers who haven't received enough attention than create my own fanboyish one. McCarthy should have just used Powerdasher.

(Actually, that would have been awesome. If IDW ever release Spotlight: Powerdasher, I promise to buy fifteen copies.) The drill guy would be Champagne Comedy.

i_amtrunks
10th December 2008, 09:41 AM
Not Hasbro but IDW confirmed it a few weeks back now. I can't dig it up though. :confused: ahh here we go (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2543&highlight=Drift+IDW).

I don't doubt that IDW has been told that there will be a toy of him made, but I bet Hasbro is waiting to see what the reaction to him is, if it's really negative, maybe we will only see a Legends class figure? :p

Personally I'd prefer to see an already created character than any new ones.

Spotlight Rack 'n' Ruin or Spotlight Repugnus would be awesomesauce!

Lord_Zed
10th December 2008, 01:10 PM
Spotlight Impactor FTW.

GoktimusPrime
10th December 2008, 03:20 PM
Universe G1-style Impactor and Rack 'N Ruin toys FTW! (heck, I'd even take a crummy 15cm Titanium Series figure!)

roller
10th December 2008, 05:16 PM
i dont read the spoilers or previews but

I hope Drift is a Drifter!!! ha ha

FFN
10th December 2008, 06:19 PM
Universe G1-style Impactor and Rack 'N Ruin toys FTW! (heck, I'd even take a crummy 15cm Titanium Series figure!) Cybertron Defense Red Alert painted purple/pink and yellow.

GoktimusPrime
10th December 2008, 06:23 PM
I'd be happy with a G2 Combat Hero Megatron (RiD Bludgeon) mould with retooled head and hook-hand. :)

FFN
10th December 2008, 06:35 PM
But see, Cyb Defense has that flip out tool thingy which you can attach the claw thingy onto, making it LOOK like some sort of hook claw hand thingy. Yeah. No need for retools.

Besides, Impactor should pretty big for the Wreckers leader.

GoktimusPrime
10th December 2008, 07:04 PM
The head would still need to be retooled - but yeah, it's less retooling. :)

That "rising sun" cover is... interesting... lucky this book won't be sold in Japan. :p

roller
11th December 2008, 06:36 PM
On cybetron they call him Hirohitobot

bassbot
11th December 2008, 10:16 PM
it's been said by Shane on his blog (smactalk) that Drift is not intro-ed in AHM. He's there, and a part of it. And I doubt he'll become THE MAIN character, he hasn't done anything, and there's 7 issues left. He could (and probably will) become key somewhere in some part, but will be a part of what goes on.

SPOTLIGHT: DRIFT, as Shane says, will give us the background so that it doesn't take up space from AHM's story.

I think that's a great way to go. Gonna be awesome, Casey and Joana do some fantastic tf artwork!!!

Denton's also recently said that with Max Dino's and future AHM issues the continuity will get a bit clearer apparently. That is my wording. It's from the Simon Furman Q&A thread on IDW's forums.

p.s. sorry i haven't been here on the ozzy board for a while. Missed it!

FFN
13th December 2008, 06:28 PM
Part of me suspects what spurred IDW, Denton and McCarthy to finally address (in a significant manner) continuity in AHM is due to the significant (though obvious not totally) negative response to IDW's change of direction in the main TF comic as well as McCarthy's seemingly deliberate ignorance of previous storylines.

bassbot
15th December 2008, 09:35 AM
yeah, I think it's fine for the editor to come out and say that on their forum though, and it was relevant to the conversation and questions being asked.
anyhow, looks unlikely that we'll get AHM #6 before Christmas.

i_amtrunks
15th December 2008, 11:11 AM
anyhow, looks unlikely that we'll get AHM #6 before Christmas.

Well unless there is a massive overhaul of the comic release schedule then we certainly will not be seeing AHM before Christmas, as the comic would be "released" on Christmas Day here. :D

-EDIT-

According to Dento Tipton, AHM#6 is slated for release in the week of the 29th of December 2008, so New Years Eve for us...
2nd Last post on this page (http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=5071&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15).