PDA

View Full Version : Acquisitions Etiquette?

jaydisc
11th December 2008, 12:12 PM
While this question is the result of another thread, I'd like like to try and keep this discussion at a very conceptual, non-specific level to see if the idea has merit. Do we need some form of Acquisition Etiquette?

Quite often, I, and some others, will post pics of lots of toys acquired on behalf of myself or many. Now, this might be a group order that has shipped to one person or the result of one person buying a bunch of the same item for others or simply multiples for themselves. Now personally, I've always liked to see large masses of toys, even if all the same for a few reasons. Firstly, I dig packaging and secondly, it makes it look sort of like a toy store, which is obviously a favorite sight to most of us.

Do people find this offensive? Does this instill feelings of envy or jealous or invoke outward opinions of greed or selfishness? And if these feelings are present, wouldn't it be best to just avoid the acquisition threads or should we instead impose or suggest some etiquette?

On a side note, my GF was quite shocked when she discovered we posted our acquisitions. She said it seemed like a pissing contest. Is it?

So yeah, should we introduce Acquisition Etiquette? And if so, what would the parameters be?

GoktimusPrime
11th December 2008, 12:34 PM
There is a certain coolness to seeing big group shots of the same toy - like three Gadeps (Omega Sentinels) etc. Perhaps we could say that photos of multiple acquisitions like these should have a disclaimer somewhere in the post that states that these are not all for yourself. But then you have people like heroic_decepticon who enjoys collecting multiples (like _five_ Lio Kaisers) for himself (ironically I am actually eating sour grapes as I'm typing this!). :p

On a side note, my GF was quite shocked when she discovered we posted our acquisitions. She said it seemed like a pissing contest. Is it?
Don't be ridiculous. We don't use urinals (yet). :p

The acquisition threads are basically about boasting and bragging rights - no doubt's there. But hey, it's mostly harmless fun for those involved. If you think it's a massive fap-fest then just don't view those threads! ;)

Eruntalon
11th December 2008, 12:42 PM
As a forum of collectors, I thought that showing off our acquisitions was one of the important factors of the community, in keeping with the theme of things. The title banner does read Transformers Collectors Australia. Do we need a disclaimer on the banner also?

GoktimusPrime
11th December 2008, 12:50 PM
Heheheh, yeah... part of the fun of being a collector is to show off your collection. We spend enough freakin' time and money investing on them!! ;)

TheDirtyDigger
11th December 2008, 12:50 PM
Do people find this offensive?
No.

Does this instill feelings of envy or jealous or invoke outward opinions of greed or selfishness?
Yes and Sometimes. I'll deal.

And if these feelings are present, wouldn't it be best to just avoid the acquisition threads or should we instead impose or suggest some etiquette? Haha...that's a joke right?

She said it seemed like a pissing contest. Is it?
Oh yeah!!! I f***ing love it.

Paulbot
11th December 2008, 12:52 PM

It sure is ;)

I like to give a little review (even if it's just a sentence) of what I think of the toy/item when I post an acquistion so it's not just "look at what I got". And I usually don't get much that everyone else isn't already getting anyway.

The only ettiqute I personally would like to see is:
a) Bulk purchases are explained (most people do this anyway)
b) Stories of how the purchaser conned seller (store, ebayer, etc) are avoided

springah
11th December 2008, 01:14 PM

i agree with her...

springah
11th December 2008, 01:16 PM
Heheheh, yeah... part of the fun of being a collector is to show off your collection. We spend enough freakin' time and money investing on them!! ;)

Depends whos doing the showing off, hey? :)

iceburn
11th December 2008, 01:18 PM
Why are we making things so difficult for ourselves? We are here for the fun and collecting TFs is our hobby.... so just cool down and let the year end in peace and harmony. We sometimes take others for granted but that doesn't mean we don't care.
So, let the acquisitions thread run as it is, with pics or no pics...it doesn't matter if you post your acquisitions or not.

If we wanna be discreet, just post our own acquisition next time and let others post theirs when they collected their share of the bulk order/purchase?

Doubledealer
11th December 2008, 01:20 PM
The only thing I don't like seeing in the aquisition thread is when people post large amounts of the same toy. Sure, you may be keeping them to give to friends but I still think it's wrong. Give everyone a chance at getting them!

Other than that I don't have a problem with the thread. It's a great feeling when you get a new Transformer and it's fun to show it off. Who doesn't like show and tell? And pictures...Shiny pictures with lots of sparkles. O_O*

Omega Supreme
11th December 2008, 02:10 PM
I personally love the Acquisitions thread, whether its seeing one figure or a whole bunch, honestly just glad to see there is such a passion still going for these things. I think the guys that try to out do each other here are very amusing and it just adds to the fun of it all IMO.

Eruntalon
11th December 2008, 02:25 PM
And there's just that something when you see a whole bunch of coloured plastic all together in one shot, or a wall of new packaging. You can almost smell the factory fresh dyes and chemicals just by looking at it.

1orion2many
11th December 2008, 02:40 PM
:)Even though I haven't had much to post in the Aquisition thread myself I still enjoy seeing what other people are picking up. You might see something and think you'd like that yourself but that just makes me start looking around for the figure myself, not make me jealous(a little bit envious maybe:o). Some of the older figures are out of my price range at the moment but I still like seeing pics of them posted up by a fellow collector off this board.;)

Paulbot
11th December 2008, 03:09 PM
Why are we making things so difficult for ourselves? We are here for the fun and collecting TFs is our hobby.... so just cool down and let the year end in peace and harmony. We sometimes take others for granted but that doesn't mean we don't care.
So, let the acquisitions thread run as it is, with pics or no pics...it doesn't matter if you post your acquisitions or not.

If we wanna be discreet, just post our own acquisition next time and let others post theirs when they collected their share of the bulk order/purchase?

Ultimately any decision on "rules" would be up to the board staff to enforce. I don't see that happening, but some discussion around the acquistions threads is fine.

JuzMel
11th December 2008, 03:29 PM
Honestly I don't get green-eyed at all about all those holy grails that people have the money to purchase, bulk orders from toy stores that some members decide to combine together. (it's always asked in the Swindle's Yard Sale section opened to all anyway: "Hey anyone in for a bulk or combined order for XXX"?)

I myself like to see all those interesting acquisitions (single, bulk/combined orders) from overseas or anywhere that people have in order to learn and find out more about other TF figures.

The only thing I don't like seeing in the acquisition thread is when people post large amounts of the same toy. Sure, you may be keeping them to give to friends but I still think it's wrong. Give everyone a chance at getting them!
The thing with photos of large amounts of the same toy only instills the impression:
"Hey look I got 10 of the new Summer 08 Barbie Dolls from X store(local retail) at a discount price! Of course they are not for me, I'm sharing with friends A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I"

Then of course all the other people from J to Z will be very jealous. ;)

On the other hand, if it's
"Hey look I got 10 of the new Summer 08 Barbie Dolls from BBTS/RK/ebay/online store! Combined orders with friends A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I"

That's a whole different story. :)

And I think in other previous acquis thread the "Stories of how the purchaser conned store" combined with the "photos of large amounts of the same toy from local stores" made the green-eyed situation even worse.

I think you get what I mean. ;)

TheDirtyDigger
11th December 2008, 03:32 PM
Can we run a poll on 'Who likes Paulbot's new font?'

Kyle
11th December 2008, 03:40 PM
I admit I do get jealous/envious when I see a mountain of the same toy (local AND import eg. brand new Henkei). But I don't feel it gives me any ground to stop the others from having their fun. :)

Can we run a poll on 'Who likes Paulbot's new font?'

Is this a new font for "Mod mode"?

Paulbot
11th December 2008, 03:55 PM
Is this a new font for "Mod mode"?

Yeah I'm experimenting between ways to separate regular posting and moderator posting :o :)

Kyle
11th December 2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah I'm experimenting between ways to separate regular posting and moderator posting :o :)

I'm sure roller will copy it and use it on unsuspecting new comers. :)

TheDirtyDigger
11th December 2008, 04:08 PM
Roller wouldn't do that. He's a good boy!

"Hey look I got 10 of the new Summer 08 Barbie Dolls

You better share some of that Barbie goodness with friend D over here Melbelle!

iceburn
11th December 2008, 04:13 PM
Roller wouldn't do that. He's a good boy!

You better share some of that Barbie goodness with friend D over here Melbelle!

BLAHHHHHH

JuzMel
11th December 2008, 04:25 PM
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]You better share some of that Barbie goodness with friend D over here Melbelle!

Yah! I saw them in Kmart yesterday and was so tempted to buy one! It was the Christmas 2008 barbie with white dress... :D Nice.. then I thought to myself better don't start... okay a bit straying from topic. sowie...

GoktimusPrime
11th December 2008, 04:52 PM
The only thing I don't like seeing in the aquisition thread is when people post large amounts of the same toy. Sure, you may be keeping them to give to friends but I still think it's wrong. Give everyone a chance at getting them!
But they _are_ giving others a chance at getting them, in fact, an improved chance because they're buying them for each other. Whenever you buy a toy you are of course depriving someone else the chance to buy that toy. So the only way to fully guarantee that someone else will have a chance to buy it is not to buy it at all for yourself. :p

I have no problem seeing people buy in bulk so long as each of those toys is going to a different person (and again, posting an explanation of that would help and make the poster seem less greedy). Then there are people who choose to buy in bulk just for themselves... like people who buy duplicates - one to keep sealed and another to open. Others buy triplicates - one to keep sealed, one to keep open in robot mode and another to keep open in alt mode. More so for more modes, gestalts etc. That really gets me jealous. :p

At the end of the day, it's toy hunting and like an actual hunt, the early bird catches the worm - and if we feel like hunting as a pack then that's okay so long as the spoils of the hunt are evenly distributed. :)

The thing with photos of large amounts of the same toy only instills the impression:
"Hey look I got 10 of the new Summer 08 Barbie Dolls from X store(local retail) at a discount price! Of course they are not for me, I'm sharing with friends A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I"

Then of course all the other people from J to Z will be very jealous.
Yeah but you can't please everyone. :p Welcome to consumerism. :D Let's just hope we never end up shooting someone else to get a toy... that's when you know you've gone waaaaay to far. Unless you're shooting a scalper, that's different. ;P

jacksplatt11
11th December 2008, 05:50 PM
"Hey anyone in for a bulk or combined order for XXX"?

I am interested in purchasing some XXX material Mel, what kinda stuff are you into?

:p

Vector Sigma 13
11th December 2008, 05:51 PM
From another perspective-

Some may choose not to post acquisitions because they feel that their single toy for the month (which is all they can afford) is insignificant compared to some members monthly hauls. I know when i first joined on here the first thing i thought of was- How do people afford all this stuff. I felt like a goober posting one score for a month.

Obviously there is nothing you can do about this because everyones situation is different. Maybe my attitude was initially that of someone who had some tall poppy syndrome. Dunno.

I do enjoy observing what everyone has collected over the month, especially the G1 items and im sure i will continue to do so. So keep em coming.

Oh and ive got around the money issue by dressing my kids in hessian bags and feeding them imitation gruel. This Christmas ive bought the boys heavily played with gobots. (JOKE:D)

roller
11th December 2008, 06:26 PM
i bet 20 astrolitres of energon that everyone in here has seen "Rabbit proof fence" movie

Robzy
11th December 2008, 06:38 PM
This Christmas ive bought the boys heavily played with gobots. (JOKE:D)At least you didn't buy them KOs!

d*r*j*
11th December 2008, 07:07 PM
I really agree that people should post less about defrauding stores. Some of you are behaving like Decepticons...

Doubledealer
11th December 2008, 08:23 PM
But they _are_ giving others a chance at getting them, in fact, an improved chance because they're buying them for each other. Whenever you buy a toy you are of course depriving someone else the chance to buy that toy. So the only way to fully guarantee that someone else will have a chance to buy it is not to buy it at all for yourself. :p

They're giving a select few the chance at getting them, not others in general. Who deserves the new toy more? Joe Bloggs who travelled 20 minutes to get to the shop or Mr Lounge Lizard who collects it off his mate at his leisure? I don't know where all this jealousy/envy talk comes from either, I simply wouldn't buy bulk as a matter of principle. Others obviously think differently and I think that's a bit sad.

roller
11th December 2008, 08:50 PM
I really agree that people should post less about defrauding stores. Some of you are behaving like Decepticons...

why? Its like a victory against over, over priced shops

plus, the person gets it cheaper!

dirge
11th December 2008, 10:31 PM
I don't believe we need any sort of acquisitions etiquette.

Those who have questionable methods will be (and have been) judged by their peers. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around.

liegeprime
11th December 2008, 10:50 PM
From another perspective-
Some may choose not to post acquisitions because they feel that their single toy for the month (which is all they can afford) is insignificant compared to some members monthly hauls. I know when i first joined on here the first thing i thought of was- How do people afford all this stuff.
(JOKE:D)

The answer lies in my sig :D;)

Keep the aqui thread as it is, all forums have one anyhow, for me just dont post stuff you got that's not yours anyway.... just post YOUR stuff and then mention it because it would be of interest to some parties that have asked you mebbe to get for em, if you ever did manage to snag some e.g. Oh BTW so and so I got your XYZ fig as well, period. Simple :)
Oh and yeah no posting how you conned this or someone, thats against board rules anyhow, just state you got this for this price if someone comment wow howd you get it, well do it by PM.. Again simple:)

d*r*j*
11th December 2008, 11:04 PM

A victory? I hear childish rants, harrassment of little old ladies and young junior managers, scams, doubletalk and deceit... some victory... all so you can afford more toys?

STL
11th December 2008, 11:16 PM
I personally enjoy the thread in its present form. Though I could be a far more active poster in that thread myself I rarely am b/c I'm too lazy but that never stops me from enjoying what other people get. It's part of the community and so often we all know each other and seeing the pics gives that sense of community. Especially where you recognise that table or that computer in the background of someone's place. It adds to the sense of community in my opinion and I'm happy as it is. The other aspect I like is to here how people got their stuff, especially if there was some interesting twist to it all. That helps give this place a lot of life.

I do agree though that the initial perception of the thread is that it's a pissing contest but once you've been here awhile its one of the lovelliest and picture-filled threads

dirge
11th December 2008, 11:17 PM

Bragging about defrauding stores is against board rules.

roller
11th December 2008, 11:47 PM
True, but i still dont understand why most people feel that way.

As for etiquette, its not as though someone has posted (to my infallible knowledge) "HAHAHAHAHa i got this today! I pried it from so and so's hands and ran off"

Just dont read the acquiring thread if you are easily offended

dirge
12th December 2008, 12:02 AM
True, but i still dont understand why most people feel that way.

PMed.

Regarding the Acquisitions themselves, I enjoy seeing the obscure & HTF stuff people manage to get their hands on. Even if I have some of it. It's always great seeing someone has managed to get their hands on Liokaiser (or whatever).

roller
12th December 2008, 12:08 AM
PMed.

sorry dirge

i already sold that item

Stompy
12th December 2008, 12:33 AM
I don't really have any problems at how acquisitions are presented. Be it singular or multiple, for themselves and/or others, common or rare. All is welcome.

I think when you begin to become envious or jealous of any acquisition is a time that you need to have a good look at your hobby and think whether its still about fun or is it becoming a laborious job.

Just keep them coming in any size, shape or form. It's always fun regardless.

roller
12th December 2008, 12:45 AM
Well

i think that people should dress appropriately

and that curse language should be discouraged, except when its blatantly called for.

Oh and could we all see our way to not smoking in the aquisitions thread. Some of us dislike tobacco smoke

thankyou

GoktimusPrime
12th December 2008, 08:59 AM
I reckon everyone should use an acquisitions mascot. :D

and that curse language should be discouraged, except when its blatantly called for.
Or if I'm placing a hex on you. :p

MV75
12th December 2008, 09:30 AM
I think that this is just yet another Jaydisc thread that is digging for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

Did you recently get into a council job?

lcz128
12th December 2008, 09:56 AM
I've been away for the most part from the boards a little while now - Big, less-than-fun-stuff happening, including needing to move and all that jazz. LOTS of drama since I was last properly here...

My 13cents about buying for others (something I occasionally do, depending on whether I know what people want, or if it's a bargain, like the $15 screenbattles I found in bloody geelong first - I make a quick call or text around ) is that it's something that really helps the others do it -
With regards to cost and the issue of buying more of one thing prevents others from getting it, I raise the question:
Do you want a helping hand from a friend? Or not?
If we were to go looking into the cost of things, wouldn't it cost you or others more time by having to go out to that same location and buying the same item for yourself (there's time, petrol, PT fees, time cost involved) ; arguably more than if a mate of yours was willing to pick it up for you.

Sure, I know I haven't been included in all group orders (even little ones between 2 or so people), mass group buys, exclusive orders (dangit! I missed that CJ upgrade - lol), and the instore-multibuys. The initial reaction may well be a tinge of jealousy - a very human reaction, but c'est la vie. I'm bound to get what I want one way or another - perseverance and waiting all works out in the end. Of course, that said, if I can get it sooner, rather than later, and at a good price great!

So - I don't think any changes need to be made to the acquisitions thread - bring on the multiples etc etc. P!ssing contest or not, it's something that not everyone will do for everyone. Mates like helping each other out, and when comes back to it, it's just toys.
Never ceases to amaze me how worked up we get about them.

GoktimusPrime
12th December 2008, 11:15 AM
it's just toys.
Never ceases to amaze me how worked up we get about them.

It happens whenever people are deeply passionate about something. If you're a gamer you know that gamers are LOUD. And just look at sports hooliganism. And sadly there was a shooting at Toys R Us in the U.S.. You just know that it's gone way too far if people are getting hurt or killed over sports and hobbies. :/

http://www.dw-world.de/image/0,,2585025_1,00.jpg<--German football fans rioting

"Sharon, his character is going to die if we don't get to him!"
"So what?"
"SO WHAT?!?!!"
(Make Love Not Warcraft, South Park)

liegeprime
12th December 2008, 11:57 AM
I reckon everyone should use an acquisitions mascot. :D

Well most of us are doing that now hehehe :):D

jaydisc
12th December 2008, 12:13 PM
I think that this is just yet another Jaydisc thread that is digging for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.

Did you recently get into a council job?

Actually, it sounds like you have assumed the reverse of my personal position. I'm actually against any regulation of this nature, but at the same time, I don't want to instill jealousy or cause ill will, so what I was doing was to try and gauge if certain styles of acquisition posts cause that. Contrary to popular belief, I don't want to upset anyone.

I think the best advice for anyone getting annoyed (advice I need to consistently remind myself of), is to simply ignore. Either ignore certain threads or ignore specific posters. I encourage people to ignore me if I grate them. And I would never take offense to it, nor would I consider it petty.

I remember a statement my fourth grade teacher said that always stuck with me:

If you're in a movie theatre and the person in front of you is blocking your view, it's your responsibility to move, not to ask the person in front of you to move.

DigDug
12th December 2008, 12:55 PM
i bet 20 astrolitres of energon that everyone in here has seen "Rabbit proof fence" movie

You lose Roller. I am sooooo uncultured :p

Capitalism is a bitch sometimes but he who gets there first with money wins :) I take pleasure in seeing fellow collecors having a win and see it as a privilege, as much as a brag, to have a case or two of new Masterpiece Grimlocks (for example) pictured in a blatantly pompous fashion when that person has taken the trouble to source them for others. Anyone else is just asking for a deal IMO :D

I have occasionally popped the question about availability to others on the board who have posted large purchases with no specified destination. That hasn't seemed to annoy anyone too much, but would quickly become a hassle if 10 others have the same idea and they were already taken :rolleyes:

Golden Phoenix
12th December 2008, 01:09 PM
They're giving a select few the chance at getting them, not others in general. Who deserves the new toy more? Joe Bloggs who travelled 20 minutes to get to the shop or Mr Lounge Lizard who collects it off his mate at his leisure?

But it is kind of like buying bulk from online shops to save on shipping. You save something in both cases. Both time and money is saved. The only difference is that having someone buy it in store for you is generally more spontaneous.
And I am fine with that. I don't have much time as it is and my income is limited. Anything that saves me time and money is welcome
And what is wrong with that?

jgon2098
12th December 2008, 01:26 PM
While this question is the result of another thread, I'd like like to try and keep this discussion at a very conceptual, non-specific level to see if the idea has merit. Do we need some form of Acquisition Etiquette?

Quite often, I, and some others, will post pics of lots of toys acquired on behalf of myself or many. Now, this might be a group order that has shipped to one person or the result of one person buying a bunch of the same item for others or simply multiples for themselves. Now personally, I've always liked to see large masses of toys, even if all the same for a few reasons. Firstly, I dig packaging and secondly, it makes it look sort of like a toy store, which is obviously a favorite sight to most of us.

Do people find this offensive? Does this instill feelings of envy or jealous or invoke outward opinions of greed or selfishness? And if these feelings are present, wouldn't it be best to just avoid the acquisition threads or should we instead impose or suggest some etiquette?

So yeah, should we introduce Acquisition Etiquette? And if so, what would the parameters be?

Well put. I share similar feelings.

d*r*j*
12th December 2008, 01:39 PM
Capitalism is a bitch sometimes but he who gets there first with money wins

Hmmm collecting Transformers is like a giant, pointless, game of monopoly. It's lucky that I have the actual Transformers monopoly set so I can play the make believe fun version instead of the toy sniping shoot-em-up version.

I am extremely picky about transformers that I purchase and most of them have to tug significant G1 heartstrings. I use the sightings page to get a feel for what is where and who has the cheapest prices... For example my desire for Special Ed Dragstrip made me gravitate towards toy kingdom, more than usual, for a few weeks.

GoktimusPrime
12th December 2008, 01:59 PM
My desire for Special Edition (heh, Special Ed has a different connotation :D) Drag Strip made me gravitate toward TRU, then their $40 price tag made me gravitate away! :p

DigDug
12th December 2008, 02:11 PM
Ahhh don't be so pessimistic D*R*J :) Like Lcz said:

With regards to cost and the issue of buying more of one thing prevents others from getting it, I raise the question:
Do you want a helping hand from a friend? Or not?

Unlike Ebay, retail or online stores, the excess purchases here are more likely to benefit you and far less likely to be scalped off elsewhere to mystery buyers. Sure you will need to trade or make offers that won't always work out; but that, and the resulting toys can be more fun than fighting crowds.

If you refer to Scalping, the ugliest side of mass-purchasing, I can only suggest you keep up with the Australian toy release schedule and be very nice to your local toy department managers (while asking them to keep you informed) around the time they are expected. Also be realistic about the price you expect to pay for the product. I have missed far too many opportunities by waiting for sales that come after the stock I want is long gone :(

Doubledealer
12th December 2008, 02:14 PM
But it is kind of like buying bulk from online shops to save on shipping. You save something in both cases. Both time and money is saved. The only difference is that having someone buy it in store for you is generally more spontaneous.
And I am fine with that. I don't have much time as it is and my income is limited. Anything that saves me time and money is welcome
And what is wrong with that?

*screen blurs and time fades back to Robot High School*
Mixmaster: Hey Scrapper, how come there are no more Energon shakes left at the canteen? It's not even recess and they've sold out already. :/
Scrapper: Oh, yeah. That a***hole, Megatron bought them all so he can sell them to his friends at lunch time."
Mixmaster: Well yank out my all spark shard and send me to the scrap heap..."
*fades back to reality*

d*r*j*
12th December 2008, 02:37 PM
Ahhh don't be so pessimistic D*R*J :) Like Lcz said:

Unlike Ebay, retail or online stores, the excess purchases here are more likely to benefit you and far less likely to be scalped off elsewhere to mystery buyers. Sure you will need to trade or make offers that won't always work out; but that, and the resulting toys can be more fun than fighting crowds.

If you refer to Scalping, the ugliest side of mass-purchasing, I can only suggest you keep up with the Australian toy release schedule and be very nice to your local toy department managers (while asking them to keep you informed) around the time they are expected. Also be realistic about the price you expect to pay for the product. I have missed far too many opportunities by waiting for sales that come after the stock I want is long gone :(

Not sure if this was meant to be addressed to me... but here goes. I know the excess spending or toy buying 'syndicate' is just saving people time and money... have nothing against it, like seeing the pictures. I choose not to participate because a) I'm anti-social b) I like purchasing my own transformers c) I like torturing my girlfriend with endless hunts...
I just feel for the kids who live near epping or northland or where ever else you guys hunt often... it must seem like certain toys never get released to them.

I like scalpers... well not really... but I think that when the movie came out, when bumblebee was the 'bee's knees' of children's toys, it really amused me to see middle aged, stinky men in bombers jackets scoping the racks for that one elusive toy... I'd watch them stare at the Cyber Slamming/ Stomping whatever rubbish with a confused look and snigger to myself... it helps that I didn't really want that toy. Apart from that I don't really think that we have that much of an issue with scalpers... after all our shelves are full of cheap plasic toys that are way over-priced.

liegeprime
12th December 2008, 03:30 PM
My desire for Special Edition (heh, Special Ed has a different connotation :D) Drag Strip made me gravitate toward TRU, then their $40 price tag made me gravitate away! :p
You could say you were depolarized severely then heheheh, which TRU Gok? (is it....the nearest one here?) they really should lower their prices. ah well...:(

GoktimusPrime
12th December 2008, 04:04 PM
If you refer to Scalping, the ugliest side of mass-purchasing,
Nobody's talking about scalping here. Scalping is an entirely different (and evil) practice.

I just feel for the kids who live near epping or northland or where ever else you guys hunt often... it must seem like certain toys never get released to them.
This tends to happen more because of scalpers not because of active toy-hunters. Remember that toy-hunters are basically only buying for their own needs. Scalpers will take _everything_ - as in, fill up an entire trolley full of toys and then purchase them. There's stories of scalpers fighting with children over toys. Scalpers also tend to camp outside stores when they know there's a new stock coming out and they rush in and scoop everything up before anyone else can have the chance to get in there. They then sell the toys off to collectors at inflated prices.

A person who buys a bunch of toys for him(her)self and his(her) friends is an entirely different thing. First of all, they usually don't take as many toys as scalpers do, and secondly their motivations are far more altruistic. It's one thing to grab a bunch of toys to help your friends/fellow collectors and basically sell them at the same price that you paid (i.e.: you're not making a profit). It's an entirely different thing to grab everything and then sell them at an increased price, with the intention of making a profit. The former is effectively doing a favour for other people, the latter is exploitation of collectors.

And as I said before, if you're worried about other people missing out then the only thing you can do is _stop_collecting_ because every toy you buy is a toy that someone else can't have!!

On some rare occasions toy stores have been known to enact anti-scalping policies, like restricting the sales to say a limit of 3 of the same toy to any one customer. I remember some toy stores doing this when Star Wars The Phantom Menace toys first came out - there was a limit of 3 per customer (of the same figure). The vast majority of stores don't do this though.

I remember in late 1986 Kups were shelf-warming and they were marked down to like $5 each or something really cheap like that. My mum went and bought a crapload of Kups! I got one, my brother got one and she kept the rest as presents for my cousins and her friends' children... so for the next year it was like, "Happy Birthday!" "Oh wow, Kup!" or "Merry Christmas! Oh wow, Kup!" over and over again. :D It wasn't scalping or anything, she was giving them away as free gifts to children. d:

So blame Santa. ;P

which TRU Gok? (is it....the nearest one here?)
The one we went to last time. ;)

Doubledealer
12th December 2008, 04:17 PM
Nobody's talking about scalping here. Scalping is an entirely different (and evil) practice.

This tends to happen more because of scalpers not because of active toy-hunters. Remember that toy-hunters are basically only buying for their own needs. Scalpers will take _everything_ - as in, fill up an entire trolley full of toys and then purchase them. There's stories of scalpers fighting with children over toys. Scalpers also tend to camp outside stores when they know there's a new stock coming out and they rush in and scoop everything up before anyone else can have the chance to get in there. They then sell the toys off to collectors at inflated prices.

A person who buys a bunch of toys for him(her)self and his(her) friends is an entirely different thing. First of all, they usually don't take as many toys as scalpers do, and secondly their motivations are far more altruistic. It's one thing to grab a bunch of toys to help your friends/fellow collectors and basically sell them at the same price that you paid (i.e.: you're not making a profit). It's an entirely different thing to grab everything and then sell them at an increased price, with the intention of making a profit. The former is effectively doing a favour for other people, the latter is exploitation of collectors.

And as I said before, if you're worried about other people missing out then the only thing you can do is _stop_collecting_ because every toy you buy is a toy that someone else can't have!!

On some rare occasions toy stores have been known to enact anti-scalping policies, like restricting the sales to say a limit of 3 of the same toy to any one customer. I remember some toy stores doing this when Star Wars The Phantom Menace toys first came out - there was a limit of 3 per customer (of the same figure). The vast majority of stores don't do this though.

I remember in late 1986 Kups were shelf-warming and they were marked down to like $5 each or something really cheap like that. My mum went and bought a crapload of Kups! I got one, my brother got one and she kept the rest as presents for my cousins and her friends' children... so for the next year it was like, "Happy Birthday!" "Oh wow, Kup!" or "Merry Christmas! Oh wow, Kup!" over and over again. :D It wasn't scalping or anything, she was giving them away as free gifts to children. d:

So blame Santa. ;P

The one we went to last time. ;)

Just for the record, I didn't say what you've quoted me as saying.

GoktimusPrime
12th December 2008, 04:23 PM
Sorry Doubledealer - I've corrected my last post. :)

Apart from that I don't really think that we have that much of an issue with scalpers... after all our shelves are full of cheap plasic toys that are way over-priced.

We do have a problem with scalpers on some toys. As you said, movie Bumblebee was heavily scalped and so was Masterpiece Starscream. I wonder if you would find it so amusing/charming if it was happening to a toy you wanted. :/

I don't care what the toy is, if I see a scalper I will hurt his janglies. A lot.

JuzMel
12th December 2008, 04:49 PM
Guys I think we should stop "arguing" about whether it's right or wrong to help friends buy TF figures (otherwise this might get to be a "heated" thread.) ;)

Everyone has their own perceptions and no one's bound to agree. From what I have read, there's no right or wrong in wanting to help your friend buy a TF. Maybe it's just a different way to approach it and also a compromise.

Instead of buying say 6-8 packs of the same TFs for yourself and other friends from one store (and other fans or parents nearby have less chance of buying), why not just buy extra for a couple of friends? In that way the shelves will still have more stock for parents and other fans who go over and buy for themselves later.

Some of us here have their little mini-groups of 2-3 who are on the look out for each other more as compared for other members (and we all know that) :). There's nothing wrong in that, so sometimes when we see in acquis that Member A bought extra for friend B or C, no one is really fussed about it.

But when it becomes heaps like 6 or more of the same TF item, then yes that would cause the jealousy, "why-was-I-left-out", "you're a scalper, you buy so many of the same item" factors that will come out.

Remember, not everything is on your "MUST HAVE NOW" list. :) And certainly no doubles, triples of quadruples or more in this festive season. Unless they are shelf-warmers of course. :D

DigDug
12th December 2008, 05:20 PM

This tends to happen more because of scalpers not because of active toy-hunters....

You really didn't read that twice before posting, did you? ;)

I was attempting to clarify a comment D*R*J made earlier and you chided me then turned around and did exactly the same! :)

d*r*j*
12th December 2008, 05:22 PM
Did masterpiece Starscream get scalped? really? I saw it twice in Toys R Us and purchased it the second time... and that was the northland store so I must of had plenty of competition.
I liked the toy but thought that $100 was pretty steep. Am pretty sure you can still order it online for $100-110ppd... could've probably got it cheaper from the US before the US shipping skyrocketed.

And GP when you say;

if you're worried about other people missing out then the only thing you can do is _stop_collecting_ because every toy you buy is a toy that someone else can't have
I think you are talking to the wrong person... My collecting is really based heavily on G1, I'm not a completist and most of my purchases are agonisingly slow and well thought out. I do not own one single Animated toy, I consider them toys for the new generation of children along with every other post G1 series (with the exception of the 2007 movie line... even then this was simply treated as a curiousity).

roller
12th December 2008, 05:31 PM
Leave Brittany alone!!!!

DigDug
12th December 2008, 05:36 PM
Did masterpiece Starscream get scalped? really? I saw it twice in Toys R Us and purchased it the second time... and that was the northland store so I must of had plenty of competition.
I liked the toy but thought that $100 was pretty steep.

Only a handful were available to begin with in Brisbane but it appears that MP Starscream, among a few other toys, has been scalped heavily here (hence my assumption about what you were getting at when you said collecting was a bit like Monopoly :D).

I thought $100 was steep but scalping is all about shrinking supply to artificially create demand. Even at $100 I was prepared to buy a couple of spares (*NOT* to scalp). It turned out I got the last one at TRU Garden City the first day they were released! They showed up online and elsewhere, often for several hundred $$ to begin with. This scenario was foiled for MP-3 scalpers with additional releases in the US but still continues to be a problem here, esp. with exclusives. *cough* MP4 *cough*

My Brother is a manager at a non TF-retailer (but owned by one of the big 2) and says, with some disappointment, that it is better to ignore 'retail quantity' rules that prevent scalping when the stores are usually under a lot of pressure to continually grow their sales... So this situation is unlikely to improve until management culture changes :(

Edit: BTW I am in no way affiliated with the Melbourne buying group, nor do I benefit from their arrangement.

d*r*j*
12th December 2008, 06:29 PM
...continues to be a problem here, esp. with exclusives. *cough* MP4 *cough*

This is where you cease to make sense... at least from a melbourne perspective... I must have seen MP-04 50+ times at Target on the shelf. It lasted (at least) two sales the first was 10% off the other 15%... I saw one last week in a target and could probably find another one if I so desired. This thing is close to a shelf warmer, and it's quality is comparable to the new Hasbro 25th prime.

I think that your scalper theory is baseless and just a result of stores not really believing that grown men can buy expensive toys in great numbers.

DigDug
12th December 2008, 06:47 PM
This is where you cease to make sense... at least from a melbourne perspective... I must have seen MP-04 50+ times at Target on the shelf. It lasted (at least) two sales the first was 10% off the other 15%... I saw one last week in a target and could probably find another one if I so desired. This thing is close to a shelf warmer, and it's quality is comparable to the new Hasbro 25th prime.

I think that your scalper theory is baseless and just a result of stores not really believing that grown men can buy expensive toys in great numbers.

I have only got access to one Brisbane store regularly and a couple of others up here on a more incidental basis. I can't speak for Melbourne...

The local store filled their shelves and then sold all of their 20 MP4s a week before their first catalog sale. The other stores sold out in short order too although I didn't follow closely enough to say how soon.

About that time the nototrious quality problems also became apparent, meaning the savvy buyers would still avoid them. Too late for the eager buyer(s) from around here, but not for those who were waiting for the inevitable catalog sale to be put off...

Be that coincidence or not, please note that my observations above are just that. A theory would take research, which sounds all too much like hard work for a Friday afternoon :p I only intend to voice suspicion of the situation. You may not have faced this sort of behaviour before, but if it were happening to you, I'm sure you'd be damn suspicious too

GoktimusPrime
12th December 2008, 07:15 PM
I liked the toy but thought that $100 was pretty steep. Am pretty sure you can still order it online for $100-110ppd... could've probably got it cheaper from the US before the US shipping skyrocketed.
I saw the toy plenty of times when it came out and it was in plentiful supply. I mean plentiful. Shelves were full and the extra storage shelves on the top were also packed. Then after Xmas/New Year there was _nothing_. Unfortunately this occured when this board was at the old location so I can't pull up the old Masterpiece sightings thread as reference. :(

I think you are talking to the wrong person... My collecting is really based heavily on G1, I'm not a completist and most of my purchases are agonisingly slow and well thought out. I do not own one single Animated toy, I consider them toys for the new generation of children along with every other post G1 series (with the exception of the 2007 movie line... even then this was simply treated as a curiousity).
In that case this entire discussion about acquisitions/hunting/scalping of current TF toys is irrelevant to you then?

You really didn't read that twice before posting, did you?

I was attempting to clarify a comment D*R*J made earlier and you chided me then turned around and did exactly the same!
No ill-will was intended dude. m(__)m

I was just trying to clarify a point. I agree with you about how scalping is indeed the darker (evil) side of mass toy purchasing as it's done out of selfishness whereas mass buying for friends is done with more noble intent. :)

DigDug
12th December 2008, 08:19 PM
Absolutely cool Gok, no offense was ever taken hope none was made. I only intended to indicate the lighter side of the situation. :)

Edit: I only just caught up with the 'other' recent acquisitions thread and now I realize why this subject is so touchy... I will just shut up now :rolleyes:

d*r*j*
13th December 2008, 12:07 AM
In that case this entire discussion about acquisitions/hunting/scalping of current TF toys is irrelevant to you then?

Yeah in large part. Talk about animated toys is pretty irrelevant to me as a consumer... I don't own them or intend on owning them. I still read some threads that are animated related and enjoy seeing what is currently available. When reading the acquisitions my main interest is Universe/ Classics with some interest in Encore/ Re-issue and Masterpiece. I'm also not really into buying second hand stuff.

MV75
13th December 2008, 10:51 AM
Actually, it sounds like you have assumed the reverse of my personal position. I'm actually against any regulation of this nature, but at the same time, I don't want to instill jealousy or cause ill will, so what I was doing was to try and gauge if certain styles of acquisition posts cause that. Contrary to popular belief, I don't want to upset anyone.

I think the best advice for anyone getting annoyed (advice I need to consistently remind myself of), is to simply ignore. Either ignore certain threads or ignore specific posters. I encourage people to ignore me if I grate them. And I would never take offense to it, nor would I consider it petty.

I remember a statement my fourth grade teacher said that always stuck with me:

If you're in a movie theatre and the person in front of you is blocking your view, it's your responsibility to move, not to ask the person in front of you to move.

Ok then, from that POV; Nah, I don't really give a toss that you do display a whole pile of stuff, but, it would be nicer if you seperated your stuff once in a while so we know what you got for yourself, then the others you buy for could then do that themselves. Unless you're just after lots of recognition for buying for others...... Yes, it can be seen as being a "look at what I did" attention whore. Now if that is what you wanted to know, then there you go. Not that I think that readily of you, it's nice to see a big group of the same stuff, but that's all really, no real thoughts of "that's great he got himself that toy" cross my mind in those sorts of shots.

Personal aquisitions are a nicer thing to see overall. ;)

GoktimusPrime
13th December 2008, 11:04 AM
I don't think it needs to be physically separated - and there is some coolness in seeing a "wall" of the same TF. But it could be simply explained in text in the post by saying, "one is for me, others for A, B, C, D and E" or something like that, or even "group order/purchase" says it all really. :)

d*r*j*
13th December 2008, 12:32 PM
Once we start censoring the aquisitions thread according to who is jealous of what... then what is the point of an aquisitions thread? I thought that it was there to inspire the kind of envy only obsessive collectors can feel.
That combined with a rough educational guide as to what toy was where, who collects what and who is generous enough to buy for others.

Seriously... It saddens me.

jacksplatt11
13th December 2008, 12:37 PM
Once we start censoring the aquisitions thread according to who is jealous of what... then what is the point of an aquisitions thread? I thought that it was there to inspire the kind of envy only obsessive collectors can feel.
That combined with a rough educational guide as to what toy was where, who collects what and who is generous enough to buy for others.

Seriously, one member has a temper tantrum and all of a sudden everyone is getting their panties in a bunch discussing COMMUNIST solutions... It saddens me.

Couldn't have said it better myself, 100% agreed

Kyle
13th December 2008, 12:49 PM
Ok then, from that POV; Nah, I don't really give a toss that you do display a whole pile of stuff, but, it would be nicer if you seperated your stuff once in a while so we know what you got for yourself, then the others you buy for could then do that themselves. Unless you're just after lots of recognition for buying for others...... Yes, it can be seen as being a "look at what I did" attention whore. Now if that is what you wanted to know, then there you go. Not that I think that readily of you, it's nice to see a big group of the same stuff, but that's all really, no real thoughts of "that's great he got himself that toy" cross my mind in those sorts of shots.

Personal aquisitions are a nicer thing to see overall. ;)

I don't think it needs to be physically separated - and there is some coolness in seeing a "wall" of the same TF. But it could be simply explained in text in the post by saying, "one is for me, others for A, B, C, D and E" or something like that, or even "group order/purchase" says it all really. :)

Guys, from another point of view, maybe Jay couldn't resist to post the "wall" pic (hey it's cool and many of us enjoy seeing these). AND at the same time he didn't feel the need to mention names, as he didn't want to remind each individual he helped that he has helped them?

Whenever I see one of us on this forum posting a "wall" pic, it's just common sense that the toys will be going to good homes (fellow board members) with the poster keeping 1 or 2 for himeself. I don't see the need to take separate photos, nor I see the posters have to explain themselves everytime. While we can't stop others from thinking negatively and jumping to a conclusion, this forum will continue to be a nice place if we can all think positively towards fellow members. :)

GoktimusPrime
13th December 2008, 07:22 PM
That's true, we've had many mass-acquisition "wall" pics posted and nobody's ever kicked up a stink about it before. It seems unfair to me that when other people do it nothing's ever said but when jaydisc does it, suddenly it's something bad. :/

MV75
13th December 2008, 07:31 PM
I think I said that in my first reply Goktimus. ;) I didn't even know there was an issue until this thread appeard.

I don't think I should need to repeat myself again that I don't care if there are mass groups pictured. I just don't take as much interest in them as the more "personal" postings. :)

dirge
14th December 2008, 01:16 AM
Seriously, one member has a temper tantrum and all of a sudden everyone is getting their panties in a bunch discussing COMMUNIST solutions... It saddens me.

[board staff]
Can we please refrain from this sort of statement? Constructive criticism is fine, but I don't think metaphors such as these really help.

Thank you.
[/board staff]

blackie
14th December 2008, 01:25 AM
dirge you need a snazzy new font like paul has :D

d*r*j*
14th December 2008, 01:39 AM
[board staff]
Can we please refrain from this sort of statement? Constructive criticism is fine, but I don't think metaphors such as these really help.

Thank you.
[/board staff]

Would it help if I replaced the word 'communist' with 'socialist'?

dirge
14th December 2008, 08:18 AM
Not really, no. And a new font wouldn't help either (:

Lint
15th December 2008, 08:54 PM
Colourful language makes the world go round yo

STL
15th December 2008, 11:48 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself, 100% agreed

Agreed.

roller
16th December 2008, 09:47 AM
Wheres the love gone?

Where???!

Golden Phoenix
16th December 2008, 10:14 AM
Wheres the love gone?

Where???!

Have you checked under the couch?

Hereticpoo
16th December 2008, 10:59 AM
I love the acquisitions thread. Yes it is a pissing contest, but its still cool too see people scoring boxed G1's and seeing a TF at a home rather than a store shelf. By the way I think Jgon is winning....:D

GoktimusPrime
16th December 2008, 12:32 PM
I think he's in a one-man competition there. Does anyone else here actively collect G1 boxes? I sure don't - the toys matter to me way more than bits of cardboard. :p

TheDirtyDigger
16th December 2008, 12:41 PM
Does anyone else here actively collect G1 boxes? I sure don't - the toys matter to me way more than bits of cardboard. :p

I try to. Heroic Decepticon does I think. And The Handsome Crab too I believe. Think there's others as well judging by the $550+ a very recent Scorponok MIB went for. They're quite a bit more than a bit of cardboard. Work of art would be a more apt description. A Rembrandt or a Van Gogh would be just a piece of canvas by your estimation.

Hereticpoo
16th December 2008, 12:45 PM
Mmm, I'm pretty sure most of his acq's have a TF with the boxes or are intended to be kept with a loose TF....but I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread again. I must admit I keep my bits of cardboard so that the TF's not on display have a home. I even keep the twist ties! :)

GoktimusPrime
16th December 2008, 03:22 PM
They're quite a bit more than a bit of cardboard. Work of art would be a more apt description. A Rembrandt or a Van Gogh would be just a piece of canvas by your estimation.

And Transformers are chunks of plastic. :p