PDA

View Full Version : Need help on buying laptop for under $1K in Melbourne

Wheel-J
12th December 2008, 08:15 AM
I should've posted this query ages ago.. :(
Now I'm running out of time and can't accomodate risk from late delivery (if bought online) as I barely have a week now before I go overseas for a holiday.

I found Officeworks selling a Dell Inspiron Office Notebook
With Microsoft Office 2007 Home And Student Edition
2GB RAM. 250GB HDD.
2.16GHz processor.
Includes Microsoft Live OneCare security suite.

http://catalogues.officeworks.com.au/imageicon/OFW/PROD/J00003526/C_001/PAGE_001/PAGE_001_OFFER_0008586E_ODP.JPG
http://www.officeworks.com.au/owbd/b2c/init.do

I got a hardcopy of their catalogue and it shows it has Windows Vista and an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.
This is priced for $999.

So, is this a good deal?
If anybody knows a better retailer/computer shop, your help is much appreciated.

Cheers! :)

MV75
12th December 2008, 09:16 AM
If you need something right now that comes with office and don't want to hunt down something with better graphics than the included intel crud, then it's ok, especially if you need it "today". According to the OW website, it's a 2.0 GHZ processor, and the dell website doesn't even offer that 5750 cpu model anymore, but price wise, it's not bad compared to the same model (inspiron 1525) right now on the dell site.

roller
12th December 2008, 11:23 AM
what an age we live in

Paulbot
12th December 2008, 04:00 PM
I just today bought a Compario computer of similar stats and price. I'm no computer hardware expert though, but it's an big upgrade on my current notebook and was a good set of stats for the under $1k price range.

From my shopping around for that price the peak you'll get is 2GB RAM 250 GB Harddrive 2 GHZ+ so that deal looks fine, especially with a version of Office thrown in.

I spent $1000 at Harvey Norman (with $100 cashback) and didn't get Office.

Borgeman
12th December 2008, 05:07 PM
dell sucks balls - they give you the bare minimum....

George

Lint
12th December 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm no savvy but it looks like a standard deal to me. Theres not really enough specs described to affirm my opinion.

Wheel-J
12th December 2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks to all have responded.
Firstly, please pardon me I forgot to mention that the laptop is not for me but for my sister.
She's turning 18 this December and that's what she wished for several months ago. She said she's just keen in using it for school studies (and probably a bit of facebooking). :rolleyes:
I'm also not an expert when it comes to computer but I'm glad I got some positive feedbacks since I know no other place that offers same or better deal.

Tomorrow's gonna be the big pinchy day.. pinchy as far as my credit card is concerned. :o
Not really good in bargain asking but I'll try give it a shot! :D

If you need something right now that comes with office and don't want to hunt down something with better graphics than the included intel crud, then it's ok, especially if you need it "today". According to the OW website, it's a 2.0 GHZ processor, and the dell website doesn't even offer that 5750 cpu model anymore, but price wise, it's not bad compared to the same model (inspiron 1525) right now on the dell site.

Oh boy... clumsy me. How could I forget to check the dell website! Good thing you reminded me!

I just today bought a Compario computer of similar stats and price. I'm no computer hardware expert though, but it's an big upgrade on my current notebook and was a good set of stats for the under $1k price range.

I'm currently using a compaq presario which I bought a couple of years ago and I'm still very satisfied with this baby coz it havn't failed me since then.
And it doesn't even have Intel on it but the cheaper AMD (Turion64).

dell sucks balls - they give you the bare minimum....

George

Why do you say so? :confused:

I'm no savvy but it looks like a standard deal to me. Theres not really enough specs described to affirm my opinion.

What are the other specs should I look for when buying laptops?
I'm open for any advise since I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop next year.
:)

Lint
13th December 2008, 02:32 PM
What are the other specs should I look for when buying laptops?
I'm open for any advise since I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop next year.

On top of what you've spec'd I usually look at:
-ports & connectivity (eg. USB, video I/O, bluetooth, memory card slots) how many and where they are located
-what type of dvd RW it comes with (though this is more often than not, a cheap, loud whirring, prone to break down piece of crap)
-warranty, though this is usually 1-2yr
-what video cards or sound cards it comes with
-perks :p (built in webcam, pretty lights, free mouse or carry bag, whether it transforms into a robot etc)
-oh and if the user is actually gonna carry it around very often, dimensions and weight (and a carry bag).

It never hurts to read an online review or forum discussion of anything electronic you're planning to buy. You can usually learn quite a bit about what defects that model may have and whether or not others were happy with their purchase.

Eruntalon
13th December 2008, 04:03 PM
On the same subject of purchasing new laptops, I'm going to go hunting for one early next year and was wondering if it was going to be more feasible and more practical to buy an 'already-put-together' laptop offered by one of the companies such as Dell, Compaq, HP, ASUS, etc. or whether I could get a better deal from a computer store who have built laptops from random components tailored to suit individual customers.

I used to build computers as a hobby 4-5 years ago and I too have very little knowledge these days on what the most popular pieces of hardware people recommend you should have in your machines. It can be a confusing process, but I think I would need a set up which would have at least a capable graphics card that wasn't built onboard with the laptops motherboard.

autobreadticon
13th December 2008, 05:35 PM
my advice is get one with built in wifi , abg whatever frequeny every1 is using these days

jacksplatt11
13th December 2008, 05:39 PM
my advice is get one with built in wifi , abg whatever frequeny every1 is using these days

Bah, haven't you heard? Wireless is old technology, everyone is back onto wired now, it's all the rage

Eruntalon
15th December 2008, 11:50 AM
Bah, haven't you heard? Wireless is old technology, everyone is back onto wired now, it's all the rage

Everyone uses 802.11n mimo I think, although 802.11g is still popular.

STL
15th December 2008, 11:12 PM
Don't know much about laptops (or computers for that matter) but talking to former colleagues/clients over Christmas lunches and whatnot the indications are that there's approx. a 25-32% price rise (25% on the lower price range and 32% at the top of the range) in January so buying now would be a very good time.

Wheel-J
15th December 2008, 11:53 PM
UPDATE:

As much to our surprise, me and my wife ended up buying a netbook instead. :o

The Story:
On that rainy Saturday afternoon, we went to the nearest Officeworks in our area.
We were eager to buy the Dell laptop which I mentioned in my first post.
But when we were there, luck is not on our side. They don't have the laptop we wanted. :(
We were told that we have to go to another branch which is a bit farther away coz other nearby stores don't have it.
Whilst the weather is not doing well and it was 4pm that time, we decided not to pursue our hunt that day.
Then When we're about to leave, I happen to pass by the netbook section and noticed one of the item has a big-marked price tag.
It attracted my attention coz the price is almost half of the laptop we're looking for.
I called my sister to ask if she would reconsider a netbook instead. Eventually she agreed.
It was a white 10-inch Asus Eee PC 1000H. Just an ideal size and weight for a uni student, I said.

So the next day, I went to check that exact same model from other stores (Harvey and JB-Hifi).
And found out that officeworks still sell it much cheaper ($599).

I havn't owned a netbook before. Funny I didn't expect netbooks don't have DVD-ROMs. :)
I read a few reviews about it and it seems that many people are satisfied with its performance.
Just hope my sister will like it.

Btw, I noticed that there are so many people shopping around for computers. Probably that is where they're spending most of their christmas bonuses. :)

Everyone uses 802.11n mimo I think, although 802.11g is still popular.

The box of the netbook I bought says Wifi 802.11b/g/n

Don't know much about laptops (or computers for that matter) but talking to former colleagues/clients over Christmas lunches and whatnot the indications are that there's approx. a 25-32% price rise (25% on the lower price range and 32% at the top of the range) in January so buying now would be a very good time.

I thought the best time to buy computers is during the tax season (June/July) where major retailers pull down the biggest discount sales of the year. I'm hoping the price would still be cheaper that time. I guess nobody could really tell..

kay-al
18th December 2008, 11:26 AM
UPDATE:

It was a white 10-inch Asus Eee PC 1000H. So the next day, I went to check that exact same model from other stores (Harvey and JB-Hifi).
And found out that officeworks still sell it much cheaper ($599).

Wow - you sure is the EEEPC1000H? I thought it was selling at $799! (Cheapest I found is at $749 on sales) Instead it's the EEEPC900HA which is selling at $599. You really did get a good deal if it's the EEEPC1000H!!

Wheel-J
18th December 2008, 08:38 PM
Wow - you sure is the EEEPC1000H? I thought it was selling at $799! (Cheapest I found is at $749 on sales) Instead it's the EEEPC900HA which is selling at $599. You really did get a good deal if it's the EEEPC1000H!!

Yup! Thats what it say...:D

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/Wheel-J/Misc/IMG_0152_small.jpg

If that's so, I'm surprised I got a good bargain. Officeworks do sell them last week at that price. I still have that catalogue with me. Which is now different from the catalogue they have now.

But just a few more clicks on OW website, you could still find that 10-inch "black" netbook at the same low price (sorry I couldn't make it link).