PDA

View Full Version : GIJoe AUS Movie and Toy release dates. (spoilers, perhaps)

griffin
15th December 2008, 03:48 PM
Recently got the latest issue of the AUS Toy Retailer magazine, and there is a nice article about Hasbro, Transformers and GI Joe in it. I'm breaking up the big news items from the article into 3 different postings - the AUS TFs release dates, the AUS GIJoe release dates, and general overview of the article itself.

GIJoe movie 'will be released in Australia on 6 August, with product in retail by 26 June'.

Both movies being released within 2 weeks, and toys out at the same time - Hasbro AUS is gonna be busy mid 2009.

Also from the article:
- The GI Joe Movie includes Dennis Quaid as General Hawk, and former Dr Who Christopher Eccleston as Destro.
- Australia will be the first market in the world to get the brand (product?). (maybe there is a later release in America, the home of GIJoe)
- Products include, action figures, vehicles, and play sets. Three example figures mentioned are Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes and Timber, his wolf. So could be confirmation that they are also in the movie.

Omega Supreme
15th December 2008, 04:32 PM
Did it give any hint as to whether the figures would be 3 & 3/4 inch size ?

August 6th is now officially D'Day for me :)

FFN
15th December 2008, 07:11 PM
I hope there are good vehicles. I've not really gotten into the 25th line due to the boring vehicle assortment. Then again, apparently hard core Joe purists like boring things.

llamatron
15th December 2008, 07:29 PM
When's the US movie release date?

loophole
15th December 2008, 07:52 PM
When's the US movie release date?

25th june!! and you call yourself a TF fan...out with you :p

Lord_Zed
15th December 2008, 08:29 PM
I hope there are good vehicles. I've not really gotten into the 25th line due to the boring vehicle assortment. Then again, apparently hard core Joe purists like boring things.

Yeah but the figures are awesome, they wipe the floor with previous JOE lines, I hope the movie figures compare favourably.

While the initial vehicle assortment is pretty dull bar the Vamp, the latter ones have some cooler vehicles like a completely resculpted Water Mocassion, and Sky Hawk

roller
15th December 2008, 08:32 PM
i might have to buy the chris eccleston figure, since Dr Who toys are impossible to get in the colony

Lord_Zed
15th December 2008, 09:01 PM
i might have to buy the chris eccleston figure, since Dr Who toys are impossible to get in the colony

Pitty the other Dr Who figures aren't "3 3/4" scale though, Its kinda novel all the movie figures Hasbro are doing in that scale, wecould have a when Universe's colide with Indian Jones, GI Joe, Star Wars and Wolverine all in the same scale. :)

llamatron
15th December 2008, 09:29 PM
25th june!! and you call yourself a TF fan...out with you :p

I meant for the GI JOE film!:cool:

loophole
15th December 2008, 09:32 PM
I meant for the GI JOE film!:cool:

d'oh too many threads open at the same time :o

FFN
16th December 2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah but the figures are awesome, they wipe the floor with previous JOE lines, I hope the movie figures compare favourably.

While the initial vehicle assortment is pretty dull bar the Vamp, the latter ones have some cooler vehicles like a completely resculpted Water Mocassion, and Sky Hawk I find the 25th Joes to be quite boring because they're all the same guys with different colours and webgear.

griffin
16th December 2008, 02:01 AM
Apparently this is a Transformers forum, but there were 10 replies to the GIJoe movie release date posting, and only 1 to the TF movie release date posting... (shrug)

griffin
16th December 2008, 02:03 AM
Did it give any hint as to whether the figures would be 3 & 3/4 inch size ?

No details. Try looking at an American fan forum to see if it has actually been revealed yet.

hound
16th December 2008, 10:46 AM
Here's a link to new Images of upcoming G.I. Joe Movie: Rise of Cobra Figures

http://www.toyark.com/news/gi-joe-toy-news-11/gi-joe-rise-of-cobramars-base-igviper-set-319/

Lord_Zed
16th December 2008, 08:57 PM
I find the 25th Joes to be quite boring because they're all the same guys with different colours and webgear.

Well the original 13 are (just as they were in the 1980's). Afterall we all know how Hasbro love repaints, but to say that of the rest of the majority of line is erroneus.

Not a huge fan of those movie figures, just as it was with the Transformers movie I'll wait till I see the movie to decide.

benben2142
22nd February 2009, 08:14 PM
G.I Joe is awesome, nearly beats tf, I saw the original series and it's good!

liegeprime
25th February 2009, 09:27 AM
After seeing the video of the new toys covered at US Toyfair, Im getting the toys, don't care much for the movie.

Lord_Zed
26th February 2009, 08:51 PM
After seeing the video of the new toys covered at US Toyfair, Im getting the toys, don't care much for the movie.

I have mixed feeling about the toys, some look nice, others are horrible. As a whole the line looks inferior to the 25th Anniversary line. Although at least they haven't deviated to far from the look of GI Joe, the vehicles are all nice and tough and angular, and some of the figures are more military and less X-men wannabee.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get them, but if they come out here I'll pick up a few, it'll be interesting to see who gets better movie toys out of TF's and GI Joe actauly.

Lots of pics here.
http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=09_Toy_Fair%2FHasbro%2FGI+Joe%2FRise+Of+Cobr a%2F&start=0

So far I like the trenchcoat wearing ninjas, Shipwreck, some of the more military figutres, and the Cobra 4WD. the Cobra Drill vehicle reminds me of oldschool GI joe which is cool. The Night Raven is disappointing compared to the original, but still one of the better Jets that have been released for GI Joe in recent history might have to get one if they don't cost to much.

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/albums/09_Toy_Fair/Hasbro/GI%20Joe/Rise%20Of%20Cobra//IMG_0297.JPG
Ninjas in Trenchcoats are cool.

Soundwarp
26th February 2009, 08:59 PM
All i care about is them releasing the old cartoons on DVD!

Lord_Zed
26th February 2009, 09:05 PM
All i care about is them releasing the old cartoons on DVD!

Some small company did release a GI Joe DVD set a few years back. Unfortunately for those that want the whole series it was just a collection of random episodes though. Although for me that's as much of the cartoon as I can handle.

Mind you the trailer for the new movie is pretty cartoony, diabolical plans involving green stuff eating the Eiffel Tower, and swarms of Submarines is the sorta think I'd excpect from the cartoon.

I wonder if they will release a Christopher Eccleston figure?

liegeprime
27th February 2009, 10:31 AM
Zed Im more after the vehicles and the Pit Base. Not the figures. I prefer the 25th line than the movie figures. Still hoping they release a Cobra base for the movie line. Those darn terrordromes are worth a fortune on secondary market.

GoktimusPrime
27th February 2009, 10:39 AM
They should reprint the old Marvel comics - they were way better than the toon IMO. I actually have a lot of G.I. Joe (Action Force) comics due to the fact that they were printed in the back of UK Transformers comics! :D

Here's a question - what does "G.I." stand for? As a kid my friends and I had assumed that it either stood for "General Issue" or "Ground Infantry."

Paulbot
27th February 2009, 11:43 AM
They should reprint the old Marvel comics - they were way better than the toon IMO. I actually have a lot of G.I. Joe (Action Force) comics due to the fact that they were printed in the back of UK Transformers comics! :D "

They are. IDW re-released volume one in January, and three more are available for order.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-G-I-Joe-Graphic-Novels/dp/1600103456/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Marvel released these trades (and a fifth volume) several years ago which is when I picked them up. They got up to where the TF UK reprints started which was good.

Lord_Zed
27th February 2009, 01:30 PM
As Paulbot said they've already started reprinting. I wish they'd hurry up and get to the point where Marvel dropped the ball though. I'd like the whole series in trade format cause there always frun to re-read and my comics are all dogeared. Also there are 2 issues near the end of the run, the only two I've never read.

The original comics are pretty much the sole reason I'm still a GI Joe fan.

d*r*j*
5th March 2009, 11:30 AM
I assume G.I. stands for 'General Infantry'...

griffin
5th March 2009, 02:37 PM
About damn time. I got those five volumes when they were released thinking it was finally my chance to read the entire series (the back-up strip in the UK TFs comic hooked me in). When they stopped at volume 5, I started buying up the individual issues that followed it, but the last 50 issues are so darn expensive, I'm stuck at about issue 90.
Pity about the stopping and starting of Devil Due's modern GIJoe comics though. It would gain momentum, and then be restarted, or split off, or something... it just got too confusing to follow. And that was if you could actually accept that 10+ years had passed in their time since the original comic ended, but they ended up looking like they hadn't aged...
Still a fun comic. :)

griffin
5th March 2009, 02:55 PM
Here's a question - what does "G.I." stand for? As a kid my friends and I had assumed that it either stood for "General Issue" or "Ground Infantry."

I thought it would have some sort of military meaning, but according to this acronym site (http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/GI), the standard term 'GI' stands for 'Government Issue'.

But the site also claims that the name 'GI Joe' for the Hasbro toyline, stands for 'Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity', but could be retconned acronym for the new movie.
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/GI+Joe

I think this article (http://usmc.yuku.com/topic/9720/t/American-G--Joe----acronym--Global-Integrated-Joint-Operatin.html)sums up the 'politically' changed meaning of the GI Joe name, from its original US military abbreviation, to an international abbreviation:

Paramount has confirmed that in the movie, the name G.I. Joe will become an acronym for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" - an international, coed task force charged with defeating bad guys. It will no longer stand for government issued, as in issued by the American government.

Ah well, just as long as it doesn't turn out to be nothing more than a big budget version of the 'Streetfighter' movie...

And it must have Cobra Commander as well, somewhere. I can't really see Destro as being the main bad guy, as his character traditionally was just an arms dealer, not global terrorist, or intent on taking over the world. CC was the insane on to keep trying to take over the world, Destro was too intelligent to see how nihilistic the goal of global domination was.

liegeprime
8th March 2009, 10:26 AM
Government issue ei? heh explains why the Joe's uniforms are so blah! bland and anyone who walks into a salvation army store can dress up like one. Unlike the marvelous well thought off uniforms of Cobra! The viper faceless helmets alone is pure evilicious!

FFN
13th March 2009, 01:12 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GI_(military)