PDA

View Full Version : TFA Pics of Sidecar/Samurai Prowl, Waspinator and Cybertron Red Alert repaint

STL
17th December 2008, 12:27 AM
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-images-of-tfa-waspinator-armor-prowl-and-first-look-at-cd-red-alert-repaint/14743/

Very cool. I love how buffed up Prowl looks. Looking forward to this.

Waspinator is cool but I imagine rather simplistic. Reminds me of Swoop on first glance (transformation-wise) though I havne't really dwelled on it. (I hate spoiling a figure by trying to figure it out first)

Cybertron Red Alert looks very much like Perceptor which I'd say is a sad choice as I'd have absolutely loved a Doubledealer out of the mold. I guess that's still possible though w/ lcz128 in the house. :D Perceptor would make sense though especially since he's expected to be in the next season of Animated.

kup
17th December 2008, 12:28 AM
I don't really collect Animated but this toy is kind of tempting. The Prowl mold is rather well made and I like the whole Idea of transformable armor (I have been spoiled by City Commander :) )

Tetsuwan Convoy
17th December 2008, 01:00 AM
Looks like Prowl has had a bit of retooling. Light piping eyes for one. Is the nose of the bike pointy-er than original? I can't be bothered TFing my Prowl, and he's standing next to the keyboard as I type.

Sad but true....

The Armour looks cool! A little bulkier than I originally thought, but still itsa good!

Waspy does look a little simple, but the overall effect works. Damn you animated. Make me buy them all......:o

liegeprime
17th December 2008, 07:53 AM
The pictures taken were not of the best shot but will suffice.

Prowl - will get if only for the variant armor. So Hasbro has worked out, they cant use the blue paint on this guy so they went for clear blue plastic instead.... somebody at Hasbro sure loves blue.

Waspinator, like the colors scheme and the clear plastic wings and its deco. must have for me. Even if his transformation is simplistic, Wish they'd make a Silverbolt - Winged wolf character in Animated, always liked the mold in Beast wars, would love to see their take on it at animated style.

Red Alert. Hmmm never had the mold we'll see.

Paulbot
17th December 2008, 09:01 AM
Cybertron Red Alert looks very much like Perceptor which I'd say is a sad choice as I'd have absolutely loved a Doubledealer out of the mold. I guess that's still possible though w/ lcz128 in the house. :D Perceptor would make sense though especially since he's expected to be in the next season of Animated.

It's the full size version of the legend-sized Perceptor from the first round of classics :D

Hmm I wonder if we could get a full size version of Classics Trypticon then, I'd like that over RID Bruticus?

i_amtrunks
17th December 2008, 09:16 AM
Samurai Prowl looks better and better in every pic. Waspy looks a little simple, but meh, if it talks like BW Waspy then I must own it.

The CD Red Alert repaint screams Perceptor to me, (I was hoping to get a Doubledealer or better yet, a Stalker repaint) but some on Seibertron have mentioned Countdown, if it ends up being Countdown I wont be surprised in the least.

jaydisc
17th December 2008, 09:23 AM
Hmm I wonder if we could get a full size version of Classics Trypticon then, I'd like that over RID Bruticus?

We've got one:
http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/trypticon.jpg

Paulbot
17th December 2008, 09:50 AM
We've got one:
http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/trypticon.jpg

He's still a little small, the Scourge repaint would be better (although having just got the Cybertron Scourge toy I don't think much of it).

Countdown's an interesting idea, but since Universe Blaster's tech spec mentioned Perceptor I hope it's him instead. Although the fact Perceptor already has a toy that's a repaint of a Cybertron Defence Red Alert might work against his chances.

Hereticpoo
17th December 2008, 10:56 AM
I love the Prowl with Super and Strike Parts! :D

Waspinator looks cool except the elongated forearms (is that how you spell it?) and claws look unfinished. Like the designer ran out of time and said

"Stuff it, it's Friday and the copier chick is going to the bar downstairs...that'll do Waspy, that'll do." :D

SilverDragon
17th December 2008, 11:10 AM
Also, Wreck-Gar. (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/animated-8/new-images-of-animated-wreck-gar-including-demonstration-of-weapons-gimmick-166409/)

MV75
17th December 2008, 11:24 AM
Cybertron redalert?

WTF are hasbro thinking? As much as I like the cybertron look better, it totally does not fit into the animated line.

They should never had tried and shoe horned any other line into this one.

This one as perceptor? Guys, I seriously doubt it. Have you all gone blind or forgotten how animated perceptor looks like?

The only thinly veiled reason why this could be perceptor is if it's a cybertron mode - pre-earth version.

EDIT:

Ah you retards, it's universe countdown that cybertron mould is destined for. ;)

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/vehicle-mode-images-of-universe-countdown-166404/

i_amtrunks
17th December 2008, 11:44 AM
Cybertron redalert?

WTF are hasbro thinking? As much as I like the cybertron look better, it totally does not fit into the animated line.

:D

I'm pretty sure that the CD Red Alert repaint is destined for the Universe line post 09 movie...

Paulbot
17th December 2008, 11:51 AM
This one as perceptor? Guys, I seriously doubt it. Have you all gone blind or forgotten how animated perceptor looks like?

The only thinly veiled reason why this could be perceptor is if it's a cybertron mode - pre-earth version.

Which fits with Universe Blaster's Marvel comic influenced bio:

"Working alongside his friend PERCEPTOR, AUTOBOT BLASTER has organized a series of resistance cells to fight against ever more orgainzed DECEPTICON attack squads"

Ah you retards, it's universe countdown that cybertron mould is destined for. ;)

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/vehicle-mode-images-of-universe-countdown-166404/

That news item still says its a rumour. I remember a few months ago when images of Universe Whirl and Sandstorm appeared on those same sites only for those toys to finally come out as Swindle and Vortex. :rolleyes:

MV75
17th December 2008, 11:55 AM
Still were universe toys though wern't they?

Paulbot
17th December 2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah I don't think anyone was saying that the Red Alert repaint would be an Animated toy, although STL's first post is open to interpretation.

GoktimusPrime
17th December 2008, 01:09 PM
Samurai Prowl looks alright... I'm not a big fan of the blue nor the retooled "teched out" windscreen. :/ I'm also not fond of the whole Ninja = Samurai thing - but that's more of an issue with the Animated story, so I don't fault the toy for that. I'll probably get this toy.

I think I'll pass on Universe Countdown... I already have the Cybertron version. :)

kup
17th December 2008, 01:26 PM
Samurai Prowl looks alright... I'm not a big fan of the blue nor the retooled "teched out" windscreen. :/ I'm also not fond of the whole Ninja = Samurai thing - but that's more of an issue with the Animated story, so I don't fault the toy for that. I'll probably get this toy.

I think I'll pass on Universe Countdown... I already have the Cybertron version. :)

If that toys comes out as Perceptor then I am all for it. However if it comes out as something idiotic like Countdown (as the rumor mentions) then forget it.

GoktimusPrime
17th December 2008, 01:53 PM
I don't think I'd get it as either TBH. :/

kup
17th December 2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think I'd get it as either TBH. :/

Aside from Botcon06 Megatron, I don't own any other release of this mold.

Its a stupid idea to release this as Countdown since he was a moon buggy not a big a$$ missile carrier. If they wanted to make the character of Countdown into this mold, at least they should have gone for the colors of his base rather than the Micromaster.

Lord_Zed
17th December 2008, 07:17 PM
Aside from Botcon06 Megatron, I don't own any other release of this mold.

Its a stupid idea to release this as Countdown since he was a moon buggy not a big a$$ missile carrier. If they wanted to make the character of Countdown into this mold, at least they should have gone for the colors of his base rather than the Micromaster.

Except for Big Daddy all the Micromaster repaints have been poorly handled, or missed oppurtunities, so this is entirely inkeeping with previous releases.

Zippo
17th December 2008, 07:52 PM
I don't like the extra blue on Prowl, though the light piping is all good. Not 100% sold on the extra armor however but I will probably pick up for the stable alt mode.

Waspinator looks fantastic, though simple. Needs a rather large weapon..

CD Red Alert repaint also looks good in alt mode, better than the orginal.

Tetsuwan Convoy
17th December 2008, 11:55 PM

To be honest, I don't know if real ninja had armour or not, but the Tenchu series of Ninja games had some "Ninja Armour" that could be equipped, and it looked like a lighter version of samurai armour, so maybe there was armour...

Is the toy definatley called Samurai Prowl by Hasbro?

Depsite its histrorical inaccuracies with the blending of warrior classes, I do like the toy and the concept.

liegeprime
18th December 2008, 12:03 AM
As far as i know, Ninja armor was light and only little (non bulky) as they need to be stealthy and move quick not encumbered by clanky armor as a samurai wouldve with a kabuto and shoulder pads and wotnot. Mebbe shinguards, elbow guards, a forehead guard/faceplate and basic plate armor for chest ( just light thin ones) and thats it. Sigh, Hasbro just didnt get it :(:(, oh well

jacksplatt11
18th December 2008, 12:06 AM
The prowl with sidecar/armour is pretty sweet, I don't watch the cartoon so it doesn't really bother me if he is a ninja/samurai or whatever, I just want it cause it looks pretty sweet. TFs with armour FTW *COUGH COUGH* City Commander :D

But yeah, Gok can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure ninjas are all about stealth, which is why they are always wearing single colour (usually black for camouflage, I guess), light, and mostly silent outfits. Whereas samurai are you soldier kind of deal, whom are fighting one on one with swords mostly, so they would definitely need armour

EDIT: Yeah, along the same lines as what Liege said ^^ :)

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th December 2008, 12:14 AM
Yeh, but all armour for a Transformer is going to be bulky, juts because of the design. All prowl has are shoulder, hip, fore-arm gurads and a helmet, so maybe it is ninja armour, just bulky coz of the design probs of fitting it onto a robot

jacksplatt11
18th December 2008, 12:23 AM
Yeh, but all armour for a Transformer is going to be bulky, juts because of the design. All prowl has are shoulder, hip, fore-arm gurads and a helmet, so maybe it is ninja armour, just bulky coz of the design probs of fitting it onto a robot

Oh ya makes sense, definitely plausible.. Perhaps it could be a question for Hasbro if we're ever stuck for one?.. If that is still going haha

GoktimusPrime
18th December 2008, 09:21 AM
To be honest, I don't know if real ninja had armour or not, but the Tenchu series of Ninja games had some "Ninja Armour" that could be equipped, and it looked like a lighter version of samurai armour, so maybe there was armour...

But yeah, Gok can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure ninjas are all about stealth, which is why they are always wearing single colour (usually black for camouflage, I guess), light, and mostly silent outfits. Whereas samurai are you soldier kind of deal, whom are fighting one on one with swords mostly, so they would definitely need armour
Ninja were basically guerilla fighters/assassins from peasant stock. Part of the reason why they rely so heavily on stealth, deception and the element of surprise is because your average peasant guerilla doesn't have the skill to attack a samurai in a head on fight, let alone a team of samurai. The ninja, being primarily Shinto, were also considered Pagans by the Buddhist Samurai so there was also a significant religious conflict between ninja and Samurai.

For those who don't know, the Samurai on the other hand are entirely different from ninja. They are a warrior class - born and bred through generations of Samurai families. As the movie "The Last Samurai" put it, "their sole pre-occupation for the past 1000 years has been warfare." (or words to that effect) The Samurai are also deeply bound to a strict code of honour known as Bushido (Way of the Warrior). Ninja on the other hand are without honour - hence why they can sneak around in the shadows, backstab, throw shuriken (ninja stars), use smoke-bombs, tetsuboshi and other weapons of guile and retreat (whereas a Samurai cannot withstand the shame of defeat and will commit honourable suicide rather than run from a fight). Ninjas are considered to be cowards without honour in the eyes of the Samurai.

Yeah... wearing all that armour wouldn't make one very "stealthy." ;)

Semantically speaking the word "Samurai" (侍) literally means "servant" with the implied translation of "to serve upon a noble." The word "Ninjutsu" (忍術) means "the art of stealth" and "Ninja" (忍者) basically means someone who practices stealth. Another word for Ninja is Shinobi 忍び which means to sneak about. Heh, so I guess you could translate "ninja" as meaning "sneaker." :p

Depsite its histrorical inaccuracies with the blending of warrior classes, I do like the toy and the concept.
I'm not fond of the concept, but I don't fault the toy for it so I can like the toy on its own merits despite the inherently flawed concept. And for better or worse, the concept was used in the show so it is canonically accurate for TF Animated (although I don't remember Prowl's windows ever turning blue and teched out... still don't a fan of that).

P.S.: Another word for "samurai" is "Bushi" (武士) - and this means 'warrior.'* The Mini-Con's name "Kobushi" (古武士) means 'old warrior' or 'ancient warrior.'

*This word is not used in the context of Transformers' functions though. Autobot warriors are called "senshi" (戦士) whereas Decepticon warriors are called "heishi" (兵士).

kup
18th December 2008, 10:25 AM
I have to admit, Countdown in Robot mode is looking much better but I am still not sold on the character tribute:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/more-pics-of-cybertron-red-alert-repaint-as-countdown/14756/

Zippo
18th December 2008, 06:46 PM
I have to admit, Countdown in Robot mode is looking much better but I am still not sold on the character tribute:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/more-pics-of-cybertron-red-alert-repaint-as-countdown/14756/

Yep, I am liking the robot mode..

Tetsuwan Convoy
19th December 2008, 01:51 AM
I'm not fond of the concept, but I don't fault the toy for it so I can like the toy on its own merits despite the inherently flawed concept. And for better or worse, the concept was used in the show so it is canonically accurate for TF Animated (although I don't remember Prowl's windows ever turning blue and teched out... still don't a fan of that).

I should have referred to which concept I liked with this Prowl. Mainly, the armour on the robot, like City Commander.

Maybe the blue teched out windows come later:p;)

kup
19th December 2008, 01:53 PM
I should have referred to which concept I liked with this Prowl. Mainly, the armour on the robot, like City Commander.

Maybe the blue teched out windows come later:p;)

i am not a fan of the teched windows, that was a bad move but what is making me consider this is the armor.

griffin
19th December 2008, 03:05 PM
The tformers website have posted up pics and info from tf08 website, comparing old and new Prowl toys.
http://www.tformers.com/transformers-animated-prowl-samurai-prowl-comparison/10625/news.html

Vehicle Mode
Windshield is now blue rather than clear
Headlights are now blue rather than black
The tail light is one piece of blue plastic rather than the split red and blue police lights
The left front and right back hub caps are now black and gold while the right front and left back hub caps are now blue and gold rather than just gold all-around
The pattern on both sides of the rear seat have been changed. The older version has arrows pointing towards the back of the bike while the new version has arrows pointing towards the front of the bike.
The gas cap is now the same gold color as that portion of the bike.

Robot Mode
Hands are now black
His mecha stars are no longer removable on his legs and also sport a different pattern
The horns on his head have been reduced in size to allow the helmet to fit over his head
The face has a slightly different mold to it.

GoktimusPrime
20th December 2008, 11:45 AM
His mecha stars are no longer removable on his legs and also sport a different pattern
While this was probably done to save money (to compensate for extra $ spent on the armour component) I think it's kinda cool as it tones down the "ninja" aspect of Prowl which complements the "samurai" theme of this version of the character. If only he came with a sword. :p

Golden Phoenix
21st December 2008, 12:55 AM
While this was probably done to save money (to compensate for extra $ spent on the armour component) I think it's kinda cool as it tones down the "ninja" aspect of Prowl which complements the "samurai" theme of this version of the character. If only he came with a sword. :p

Well there is that blade he has that come out of the wheel on his wrist

GoktimusPrime
21st December 2008, 10:18 AM
Neat. :)