PDA

View Full Version : eBay Shipping Question

Tober
20th December 2008, 12:28 AM
So I've won a small auction from the UK where I was quoted a shipping fee that "would be between £8-£12" for a diecast 1/24 car. Now I'm being charged £15.70 for Seller's Postage and packaging" after requesting the invoice. Do I have any realistic options here? Can the seller just charge me whatever they want for a packaging fee?

iceburn
21st December 2008, 12:22 AM
you can insist seller to keep to his max £12 estimate i guess.
for him to give you an over-charge of what he/she has quoted is "not as agreed"

jaydisc
21st December 2008, 01:45 PM
Depending on whether you still want the item at that price, I'd either cancel or pay and leave negative feedback.

Lint
21st December 2008, 06:31 PM
Unless the seller stated that there would be an added 'packaging/handling' cost to the shipping fee in the item description; you have a case

jgon2098
25th December 2008, 04:59 AM
neg him.

and if he replies to your feedback.

reply to that.

I swear, ppl who tries to profit on shipping are the biggest tools.

Unfortunately this includes some of the more prominent tf sellers on the aus bay.

Namely,

Spottoland (tried to charge me 40 AUD for REGULAR post for something that weighs less than a kilo in a small box, and I live just a few suburbs away from this heshe). She's got 6 negs coming up. Definitely the queen of tools.

ezystyles (another world-class clown who typically tries to inflate shipping by 200-500%)

more and more sellers are just throwing out random numbers in the postage and hoping that the buyer won't give a damn or will not give a damn to prevent jeopardising the sale. And whats infuriating is that most buyers still give these sellers max stars and +ve feedback, TOP EBAYER!! A++++ EXCELLENT, WILL BUY AGAIN!! when they've just been screwed.

its funny, some sellers say they charge handling fees for tape. ok how are you going to portion that per item you ship, are you seriously gonna measure it and fraction it by the total metres of tape bought? even if you did, how much would it be?? less than 5 cents?? or will you just throw a random number and expect the buyer to accept this pathetic excuse +along with others to justify some ridiculous handling costs. apparently according to some sellers scrunching up some newspapers is also worthy for excessive P&H. I'l buy you a complete sunday telegraph, can you now please take off the excess $10 dollars shipping, thanks.

anyone that gets screwed in p&H should really stand up for themselves and let it be known. If the seller tries to play it dirty then so should you.

Fungal Infection
25th December 2008, 11:15 AM
You have to take into account though some sellers will sell you an item very cheaply but mark up the postage costs to avoid ebay fees. I bought a Gundam kit this past year for only $5 but was charged a whopping $50 for postage from HK. When I asked the seller about it, that was the explanation he gave me (which made sense since the kit cost about $30 everywhere else). But in this case, this appears to be a case of profiteering. Personally, depending on how desperately you want the item, I'd just outright refuse if you can get it elsewhere cheaper, and leave him neg feedback if he does anything. Or pay for it and leave neg feedback. Either way, he's getting neg feedback unless he backs down on his postage demands.

jazzcomp
24th November 2014, 11:08 AM
Resurrecting this thread to inquire about ebay shipping - from the ebay item -
Postage: US $42.18 (approx. AU $48.57) International Priority Shipping to Australia

But when I use Postage Calculator Rates http://payments.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll (from purchase history) -
International Priority Shipping Postage & Handling: $25.44

Which will show up when I pay thru paypal?

Sinnertwin
24th November 2014, 11:13 AM
from my experience it'll be what the seller has quoted as postage costs. I would still query that though -you could always ask him to send you out an updated total through the 'request total' option :)

jazzcomp
24th November 2014, 01:06 PM
I think the quoted shipping price is from GSP.

Skullcruncher
24th November 2014, 03:05 PM
Yep that would be GSP.

jazzcomp
24th November 2014, 04:14 PM
Yep that would be GSP.Is that standard? Because the postage calculator is cheaper, I was hoping to pay the extra and just ask the seller to ship it overseas instead of going thru GSP. I'll switch my address to US (for cheaper shipping & add the difference) but ask to ship it to Australia.

griffin
24th November 2014, 04:19 PM
GSP is such an annoying, confusing concept, just to help ebay earn more in fees from the extra international sales.

In jazzcomp's situation, some of the $42 went to the international shipper ($25), and the rest went to the seller ($17) to cover them posting it to the international shipper and paying for a box or supplies if necessary.
As such, it makes shipping more expensive, because you have to pay for it to be posted twice... and you can't combine items from the one person to offset that extra shipping amount. (and can't use PO Box address either)

And to really be a kick in the pants - I paid for multiple items at checkout which included one for the GSP, so ALL items had to be addressed with my home address (as the Fedex/UPS need a signature to deliver it). But after sitting around America for 7 days at three different sorting centres, UPS handed it off to another shipping company that gave it to Australia Post anyway. I could have had the GSP item addressed to my POBox address for convenience after all (if I wasn't home to sign for it, I would have had to chase it up from who-knows-where), and now I have to put up with all the other items coming to my house that don't need a signature, so the postal worker in the van is just throwing them to the door without knocking or anything. The GSP forced me to sacrifice the security of several parcels to my home, only to use Australia Post anyway which could have used the security of my POBox.
Like today, one arrived and I only just heard him bang his Van door, to come out to find a big box at my door as he was back in his van to drive off (is it too much to knock or ring the door bell?). I have a bus-stop outside my place on a fairly busy road - a parcel at the front door is gonna go walking in short time.

Skullcruncher
25th November 2014, 10:16 AM
Is that standard? Because the postage calculator is cheaper, I was hoping to pay the extra and just ask the seller to ship it overseas instead of going thru GSP. I'll switch my address to US (for cheaper shipping & add the difference) but ask to ship it to Australia.

Sellers have the option to opt in, then it just gets added to the postage calculator.

Unfortunately posting overseas seems beyond many US Based sellers.

jazzcomp
25th November 2014, 10:56 AM
Totally confused now :( on my purchase page it shows :

Calculate postage -US $5.50 adjustment
Don't know if this applicable to US or Aussie address

dirge
25th November 2014, 08:35 PM
When buying from the US now, I simply disregard ANY listings that have GSP as the shipping option. Between the stupidly expensive cost & refusal to use PO Box (I'm paying for the security, and it's not being handed to a courier here as griffin said), the inability to combine costs & exclusion from any eBay specials, it's just too much trouble.

Skullcruncher
25th November 2014, 09:09 PM
Speaking of ebay I just paid 'import charges' on a $10 item from the UK. This is ontop of shipping. :confused::confused:

TAAUBlaster
25th November 2014, 09:34 PM
Speaking of ebay I just paid 'import charges' on a $10 item from the UK. This is ontop of shipping. :confused::confused:

Did they open the box for an inspection or something? I haven't ordered anything from the UK for years, but that seems really strange to have to pay import charges on it:confused:

[EDIT] Did the item contain any alcohol or tabacco?

Skullcruncher
25th November 2014, 10:15 PM
Did they open the box for an inspection or something? I haven't ordered anything from the UK for years, but that seems really strange to have to pay import charges on it:confused:

[EDIT] Did the item contain any alcohol or tabacco?

No it was a stationary set, I went through the process of paying by paypal then I then realized the conversion was off and there was a 'import charges' amount. I paid anyway as I wanted the set but it was still odd.