PDA

View Full Version : Some minor membership changes (and behaviour issues)

griffin
22nd December 2008, 03:27 PM
Hi fellow bot fans, :)

Just completed the restructuring of the membership procedure here, to get around the email issues and make it more automated.

In the past, people registered, but it wasn't activated until they got an email from me and replied to the email. Obviously there was a problem if the free-mail providers were sometimes not getting my emails. And since I didn't want to risk having immediate activation, in case spammers joined up, I have to still have to process new applicants in some way.

The new arrangement is having all new registrations automatically activated, but change the settings of that default usergroup to prevent any usage of the actual board. But the difference will be that their temporary membership automatically comes with a message in their mailbox with details on how to make their membership permanent.

That way, if they register and never come back, their temporary membership will still be purged after a period of time. But if they stick around after they register, or come back in a day or two, they will see the message there and I will only have to deal with people who reply to that message (instead of chasing up every new registration with an email).

The one problem I couldn't get around with this board's (stupid) settings, is the private messaging system. I can't have a user-group or member only receive messages - I can only set it to have them send messages or send and receive messages. That means, there is no way of preventing someone who is a touble-maker or spammer, from sending messages without preventing me from sending them messages. It's a stupid setting, that should be the other way around. So unfortunately it means, for me to be able to send to new people, the message about how to complete their registration, they are also able to send messages (spam or harassment) to anyone else on the board. This was the only reason why I didn't restructure the registration procedure earlier, but it is now a risk I have to take to make sure new people who aren't getting my emails, can actually join here.

This has also affected the current members, because I had to create a new user group (Members), and manually move all existing members/scout members into it before changing the registrations settings. Plus, recently there was a new membership option - Protoform - for those who just want to join up to a board without any fuss or hassle of submitting details of themselves, because they don't (yet) plan to interact. The option is there for them to later ask to be a Member, as Protoforms are not elligable to become Deluxe Members.

So, the current membership structure is:

Guest - not registered, can only post in Guest House section.

New Spark - registered, but not yet activated, can not post anywhere.
(New Sparks are given a choice of - Protoform or Member options)

Protoform - registration activated and access to board, but can't become DM.
Member - registration activated and access to board.

Deluxe Member - status offered to those who are proven to be committed, active fans here, with emphasis on discussion, sightings and meetups.

Board Staff - the ones who monitor/moderate the board.

There also exists a 'Probationary Member' status, that can be used if necessary for anyone who needs to have their activities here monitored (age or conflict reasons). But usually people are removed or leave if it got to that point anyway.

- - -

Which gets me to a related issue...

Behaviour and respect on the board.
After a couple of fairly active members left in the last week, possibly for good, it is necessary to remind members to not be too casual with how you talk to others here.
Yes, this is a small, often tight-knit, community, but unless you are a close friend to someone else, don't talk to them (or down to them, even in a joking way) as if you were a close friend. People won't continue interacting here out of necessity, as internet forums aren't geographically restrictive. In other words, if you want interaction with other fans who don't annoy or disrespect you, the best forum for you could be hosted anywhere in the world.
Our small community here may sometimes feel like a close family, but that can also be its draw-back. People here take for granted the existance of this place and falsely believe that others will ignore, forgive or even forget what is said in jest, like one would to a *friend*.
But be realistic - we aren't all friends here (most are), we just have a common bond. And that bond in no way guarantees friendship or tolerance of you or others here.

So be careful who you are replying to, talking to, quoting, or even have a post following. You need to make sure that if you don't know this person well enough to be so casual and open in real life, don't behave that way here, or else your words can appear disrespectful, and they could end up leaving an environment that doesn't respect them.