PDA

View Full Version : Toy of the Year, 2008

The Scream Man
23rd December 2008, 03:11 PM
My humble picks:

01 - NECA - TMNT
02 - HASBRO - Big Millenium Falcon
03 - HASBRO - Jazz (TF Animated)
04 - YAMATO - VF-1S 1/60 scale (Roy Focker type + Stike Packs, Macross DYRL?)
05 - BANDAI - Gundam Exia (1/100 scale, Gundam 00)
06 - BANDAI - Ptolymius (1/400 Scale, Gundam 00)
07 - MATTEL - Green Lantern (DCUC)
08 - MATTEL - Nightwing (DCUC)
09 - HASBRO - Megatron (Leader Class, Transformers Animated)
10 - YAMATO - YF-21 (Macross Plus)

TheDirtyDigger
23rd December 2008, 05:53 PM
Excellent thread Scream Man.

Mine just quickly and with no thought attached....

01 - LEGO - Mill Falcon
02 - HASBRO - Hoth Speeder Bikes
03 - HASBRO - Ultra Onslaught
04 - DC Direct - Star Sapphire
05 - NECA - TMNT
06 - DC Unlimited - Orc Shaman Rehgar Earthfury
07 - MATTEL - Betty and Wilma Barbie 2 pak
08 - HASBRO - Springer/Ratbat 2 pak
09 - HASBRO - Cobra HISS Tank
10 - LEGO - Agents Truck

(PITT B.A.F is an awesome, awesome toy but I think it was last year)

Robzy
23rd December 2008, 09:08 PM
Man... I need to think about this one for a bit!

It's impossible to separate the Big Millenium Falcon and the Neca Turtles - both are simply perfect!

The Dark Knight Movie Masters and new Masters of the Universe Classics are unbelievable too!

For now...

1) BMF
1) Neca Turtles
3) Dark Knight Movie Masters (Joker & Batman)
4) Animated Leader Megatron
5) MOTU Classics (He-Man)
6) Animated Voyager Prime
7) Revoltech Regult
8) Movie Masters Scarecrow

Fungal Infection
24th December 2008, 08:47 AM
Dont think I can name 10 but here are several I've purchased in the past year that deserve recognition (in no particular order):

1. Guitar Hero: World Tour PS3
2. Yamato YF-19 with Fast Pack
3. City Commander (with thanks to Kyle ;) )
4. Lego Agents Mobile Command Center
5. TF Henkei Sunstreaker

GoktimusPrime
3rd January 2009, 01:58 PM
I've really scaled back on buying non-TFs toys during 2008 but I'd like to give an honourable mention to Transforming Wall-E.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bobM7LYVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
It's a really fun toy and just so darn cute. TRU has them overpriced but I got mine from Big W for nearly half of TRU's price! :)

...and a dishonourable mention to Clone Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi for the appalling and inexcusable lack of leg articulation. They've gone back to the old 1970s/80s style of just having 2 points of articulation at the hips, but by 2008 standards - where Captain Rex has 10 points of articulation in his legs - I find it really poor form... especially considering that both figures are selling at the same price point. :( Obi-Wan does come with an interchangeable head and light sabre, but Rex has a removable helmet, two pistols and a rifle. Both toys come with a missile launching weapon... so I don't see how Obi-Wan's accessories would justify sacrificing leg articulation... if so, I would rather have leg articulation over the missile launcher any day. Gah!!

As you can see here, I've tried to put Obi-Wan and Rex into basic fencing positions (http://www.np.edu.sg/sdar/cca/sports/PublishingImages/fencing.jpg) but Obi-Wan just looks retarded because there's nothing I can do with his freakin' legs!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Star%20Wars%20Minis/misc/rexvsobiwan.jpg
Aaaaarrrccchhhhheeeeeerrrrrrr!!!

Lord_Zed
3rd January 2009, 07:30 PM
Comparatively I scaled back my TF Purchasing (not being a fan of animated) and have ended up with more 25th Aniversary Joes than TF's this year, So I guess there my pic for top dog. Sure I got a couple who are a bit lacking but by and large there all really well done for a Hasbro toy, and 8-10 points of leg articulation each to. :D

So for me.

1:Gi joe 25th Anniversary (year 2) (I have to many favourtes I can't fit them in a top 10 list)
2: The new Yamato 1/60 VF 1S
3: Revoltech YF 21 and 19 (because you need both to duke it out.
4: Movie Salvage, although he apears unremarkable I never get bored of him.

The Yamato SV 51 I bought this year would be my toy of the year, though it was definately released last year so I don't count it.

...and a dishonourable mention to Clone Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi for the appalling and inexcusable lack of leg articulation. They've gone back to the old 1970s/80s style of just having 2 points of articulation at the hips, but by 2008 standards - where Captain Rex has 10 points of articulation in his legs - I find it really poor form... especially considering that both figures are selling at the same price point. :( Obi-Wan does come with an interchangeable head and light sabre, but Rex has a removable helmet, two pistols and a rifle. Both toys come with a missile launching weapon... so I don't see how Obi-Wan's accessories would justify sacrificing leg articulation... if so, I would rather have leg articulation over the missile launcher any day. Gah!!

As you can see here, I've tried to put Obi-Wan and Rex into basic fencing positions (http://www.np.edu.sg/sdar/cca/sports/PublishingImages/fencing.jpg) but Obi-Wan just looks retarded because there's nothing I can do with his freakin' legs!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Star%20Wars%20Minis/misc/rexvsobiwan.jpg
Aaaaarrrccchhhhheeeeeerrrrrrr!!!

Yeah I look at Star Wars figures from time to time and the articulation seems to vary greatly, the same with Indian Jones figures I picked up. I don't understand why they don't stick to a standard like GI Joe.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/zedkaiser/Minatures%20and%20toys/P1010130.jpg

GoktimusPrime
3rd January 2009, 08:33 PM
I got Clone Wars Anakin today... he's just as bad as Obi-Wan... arguably worse. He doesn't have an interchangeable head, but comes with a 'climbing rope' (i.e. piece of string with two handles attached). The "kung fu grip" on his hand is poorly done so that he can't hold his accessories properly. Definitely the worst value for money out of the 3 Clone Wars figures I have so far. :/

I don't understand why they don't stick to a standard like GI Joe.

Why, it's almost as if Hasbro's not paying attention! It totally sucks how Clone Troopers - grunts - have better articulation than Jedi who are the main hero characters of the franchise. :/

The Scream Man
5th January 2009, 10:42 PM
not as many people picking as id have thought!

Golden Phoenix
5th January 2009, 10:46 PM
Why, it's almost as if Hasbro's not paying attention! It totally sucks how Clone Troopers - grunts - have better articulation than Jedi who are the main hero characters of the franchise. :/

Although you are more likely to pick up a whole bunch of clones
Say you get one jedi and 3 clones. Better to have 3 good figures and 1 bad over 1 good figure and 3 bad

GoktimusPrime
6th January 2009, 09:55 AM
But I need the Jedi to be more articulated! Clone Troopers pretty much take cover and shoot at Battle Droids while the Jedi have to get into the thick of it and swing their lightsabres around cutting down droids and doing acrobatics etc... looks really 'tarded when their legs only have two pitiful points of articulation. (T_T)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jam_pain.jpg

Tober
15th January 2009, 04:47 AM
In order:

YAMATO Macross 1/60 VF-1J/any Valkyrie V.2
MegaHouse Mospeada Blowsperior/any
TAKARA Transformers Henkei Sunstreaker/Prowl
YAMATO Macross 1/60 YF-21 Valkyrie
REVOLTECH Macross Regult/VF-21 Valkyrie
Toynami Robotech Masterpiece Beta Fighter
WAVE Appleseed Ex-Machina Deunan and Briareos
YAMATO Macross 1/60 Tomahawk/Defender
FansProject City Commander
YAMATO Bubblegum Crisis 1/15 Motoslave Priss metallic

Honorable mention

Hot Toys 1/6 Appleseed Ex-Machina Deunan and Briareos

Dishonorable mention

BANDAI DX 1/60 Macross Frontier VF-25S Valkyrie (DISAPPOINTED!!!!!)

Honorable/Dishonorable mention

CMs Corp Mospeada Legioss and Tread

TAKARA Transformers BINALTECH BT-20 Argent Meister would have been way up there if it wasn't basically a repaint.