PDA

View Full Version : The Day the Earth Stood still

kup
27th December 2008, 11:57 PM
I went to watch it today with Zed:

It was watchable and good in the entertainment sense but by no means perfect, far from it actually. Most of the problems it had were very much avoidable too and the sort of thing that is too common in modern day movies.

Spoilers:

The Good:

- Watchable all the way
- No crazy stuff that kills your suspension of disbelieve like a normal person jumping out of a building and suriving, etc.
- Extremely strong begining that very much set the mood.

The bad:

- Blatant product placement that really got too much. It was more subtle than say a Michael Bay movie (X-Box, anyone?) as they tried to merge it into the scene but it was still very much in your face and distracting.

- The kid was extremely annoying and even though he had a defined purpose in the film, it wasn't very well executed either so putting up with him doesn't pay off at all.

- The bit that was supposed to 'convince' Klaatu that humanity was worth it was hopelessly executed and unbelievable. His only exposure to humanity's 'better side' was the kid and his mother and frankly, there was a lot of selfishness there than goodness and its not convincing that after all that, the kid crying at his father's grave with his mother was enough of convincing Klaatu that humanity has hope. They should have expanded that bit with the professor guy instead or some better act of selflessness like someone sacrificing himself for others. For me this was the movie's biggest deterrent as it was a flaw at the heart of the plot.

- The movie had a lot of potential in portraying its message of where humanity was going but it was very hard to take that seriously when you get an in your face McDonald's or LG mobile product placement.

Overall, it was an ok movie and watchable but it wasn't great and many of the flaws are cringe worthy and all too familiar in modern Hollywood films. It's biggest flaw was at the core of its plot with how the annoying kid and his mom showed klaatu the better side humanity in such an unimaginative and unconvincing way. This could technically make it a bad movie even though I didn't mind it as much because overall, I was entertained BUT I can see why someone could walk away hating it due to this alone.

roller
28th December 2008, 12:01 AM
i knew it would be less then exciting then its trailer

As we all know already, Americans can come up with good ideas, but the execution of the film always sucks, they ruin it with bad dialogue, over action action scenes, pointless drivvle and the universal Hollywood theme of 'Love'

thanks Kup, now im sure i wont fork out $15 to see silly Keanue 'rip off Ghost in the shell" Reeves bad/non existent acting

Lord_Zed
28th December 2008, 12:10 AM
thanks Kup, now im sure i wont fork out $15 to see silly Keanue 'rip off Ghost in the shell" Reeves bad/non existent acting

Fortunately we only payed $10 then, which it was argubly worth.

Overall it was a bit of a standard by the numbers Hollywood Winter atempted Blockbuster. It's main strength is that as a remake goes its not to far from the original.

i knew it would be less then exciting then its trailer

Do you mean this Trailer Roller? :D

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=OfpSXI8_UpY

Bottom line is It's about as good as the first one.

omega3
28th December 2008, 11:38 PM
the original is great

contemplating whether to see this remake or not

iceburn
29th December 2008, 12:20 AM
erm, watched it today...
was excited at first but lost interest almost at the ending
definitely only worth going to watch in the cinemas on Tuesday nights $10 or less
NOT worth for $15

- The kid was extremely annoying and even though he had a defined purpose in the film, it wasn't very well executed either so putting up with him doesn't pay off at all.

is the kid Will Smith's son?

roller
29th December 2008, 12:35 AM
well i saw this tonight

with my new minty fresh girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):) woooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

the film was crap!

They spend the whole film running around or driving around, and the alien just kinda brings people he kills for fun back to life

i swear Hellen was on the helicopter that exploded, then the next scene shes a-ok somewhere else.

I kept pretending that the Presidents advisor was the mum from 'The Waterboy'

my girl and i kept talking and ripping on the film, and everyone in the cinema agreed with us!

kup
29th December 2008, 12:39 AM
well i saw this tonight

with my new minty fresh girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):) woooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

the film was crap!

They spend the whole film running around or driving around, and the alien just kinda brings people he kills for fun back to life

i swear Hellen was on the helicopter that exploded, then the next scene shes a-ok somewhere else.

I kept pretending that the Presidents advisor was the mum from 'The Waterboy'

my girl and i kept talking and ripping on the film, and everyone in the cinema agreed with us!

Is this the same Girlfriend you were trying to find a gift for at the Fan meet?

roller
29th December 2008, 12:42 AM
Is this the same Girlfriend you were trying to find a gift for at the Fan meet?

nah Kup,that was the Brazillian who was jerking me around:mad:

iceburn
29th December 2008, 07:04 AM

i think i know which scene you're talking about

There were 3 helicopters, the one that took her flew away first....
the other 2 were destroyed

liegeprime
29th December 2008, 08:19 AM
I havent seen any of the versions at all, So is there mass death? If there is , might be worth watching on a saturday night- free tv that is:p:D, no way am I forking out on movies here. Only movie I ever paid for here was Transformers, and it was discounted at that - $10. Prolly show up in you tube anyways.:p

roller
29th December 2008, 09:22 AM
I havent seen any of the versions at all, So is there mass death?

negative

just alot of vacant shocked stares into the distance

and alot of running around

gamblor916
30th December 2008, 07:04 PM
Saw this today. The first 20 minutes were interesting but it goes downhill from there.

omega3
30th December 2008, 10:49 PM
saw it today
good movie, very much unchanged from the original except for some extra tiny bits and special effects