PDA

View Full Version : Henkei and Universe Cyclonus comparison

kup
29th December 2008, 12:01 AM
I have to admit, in my oppinion the Henkei's bright purple really hurts the look of the figure. I expected it to be more cartoon accurate but I didn't expect it so 'happy' looking.

And to be fair, I have to give credit to Hasbro on improving Cyclonus' overall color scheme from the previous pre release photos. They have made a great difference by making a proper looking silvery plastic than the standard 'Hasbro gray' they too often like to use.

At this point the Hasbro one has graduated to being an appealing choice in my opinion.

I give credit where its due.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-images-of-transformers-henkei-cyclonus-166477/

Robzy
29th December 2008, 12:18 AM
I actually like both colour schemes! :)

The Hasbro one is not as bad as I thought - very true to the original toy (which is great), and the Henkei one is very cartoon accurate!

I think I shall get both... Cyclonus and his armada! :D

STL
29th December 2008, 12:28 AM
I think I shall get both... Cyclonus and his armada! :D

:( :( :( :( :(

Awww, Robzy! I hate you!

;)

kup
29th December 2008, 12:30 AM

Awww, Robzy! I hate you!

;)

Yeah he made a good case for buying both........:mad:

:p

However Henkei Nightstick looks freaking awesome!

roller
29th December 2008, 12:30 AM
wow

having played with a friends Cyclonus today, this is kinda ironic, considering that in the original movie and G1 tv series Cyclonus showed up in various purples, so its kinda fitting that he have 2 moulds of different colours, im hoping the Henkei one wiill have a bonus 'blue' to it, like the original toy:)

Golden Phoenix
29th December 2008, 12:34 AM
I wish the henkei purple was just a fraction darker, other then that I still prefer it over the hasbro one.
I'm more worried about Nighstick. All that Chrome!
Why oh Why do Tomy/Takara insist on putting chrome on parts that you will actively move and easily chip...
*Sigh*

STL
29th December 2008, 01:15 AM
Yeah he made a good case for buying both........:mad:

:p

The next thought that scared me would be what if they did Scourge? I'm going nuts on Acid Storm but Sweeps would absolutely murder me. I guess its kinda good thing that Classics 2.0 is wrapping up, eh? :)

Golden Phoenix
29th December 2008, 01:20 AM
The next thought that scared me would be what if they did Scourge? I'm going nuts on Acid Storm but Sweeps would absolutely murder me. I guess its kinda good thing that Classics 2.0 is wrapping up, eh? :)

Classics may be, but is Henkei?

STL
29th December 2008, 01:23 AM
Classics may be, but is Henkei?
My line of thinking is that Henkei will go onto hiatus too with the exception of repaints. It seems to me that Hasbro always promo first and then release the toy before Takara gets to use it. So that's why I think it'll be on hiatus. Especially with the abundance of movie stuff we're getting next year which is going to be more than last time, I'd imagine

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th December 2008, 01:27 AM
Man I would love a bunch o Scourges.

I too had a play with rollers friends Cyclonus and I like enough to get both methinks.

I assume that henkei would finish when the movie toys start kicking around.

Golden Phoenix
29th December 2008, 01:38 AM
Oh I assume it too, but there hasn't been any official word has there?
Maybe they are going to keep going with it. Hasbro seems fine with having 2 lines, I don't think Takara would be against it.
And since they don't have Animated....

FFN
29th December 2008, 08:34 AM
I wonder why so few people try the Japanese Headmasters Targetmaster link up that this mold is capable of. Hasbro and Don Figueroa designed this into the toy as part of his concept.

If you leave his hand fliped into his forearm like they would be in vehicle mode, you can plug Nightstick into his wrist.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Nightstick_%28Decepticon%29#Universe_.282008.29

Oh I assume it too, but there hasn't been any official word has there?
Maybe they are going to keep going with it. Hasbro seems fine with having 2 lines, I don't think Takara would be against it.
And since they don't have Animated.... TFs do better for Hasbro than TakaraTomy though, so Hasbro can probably have two major lines going at the same time.

Besides, the ideas and concept designs for Universe (and thus Henkei) come from Hasbro's side of the ocean. Hasbro claimed that they weren't sure if Universe was going to come back after 2009, if that's true, then there would be no new tools Takara can use to continue the line.

I expect Takara to similarly devote their TF marketing and promotion to Revenge of the Fallen. As I recall, the 2007 movie line contributed to doubling their profits for that quarter.

STL
29th December 2008, 10:29 AM
FFN's pretty much spot on too. I just don't think Takara has the same resources to devote to its own line w/out Hasbro having some investment. Hasbro could possibly still be working behind the scenes as they work 12-18 months ahead so they could already be into post ROTF designs so there is a slim possibility they might give Takara first use but to me, with the shake up in the Japanese and world economy, Takara is unlike to pursue Henkei and stick with the tried and tested.

Kyle
29th December 2008, 11:03 AM

Awww, Robzy! I hate you!

;)

Also 40 this time, STL? :o

STL
29th December 2008, 11:10 AM
Also 40 this time, STL? :o

:o

I've been toying with the number ever since. At one point, I think 3 of Universe (thugs) and one Henkei (as leader) would make the perfect Armada. But then I thought I should have the reverse available too for 3 Henkei (thugs) and 1 Universe (leader). Then there's the matter of the Targetmasters and I'm thinking if thugs really should be having a Targetmaster like the leader so I figured I might have to buy some of those guns fro the Mars Attack packs so it looks better.

I know, I'm so weak. :o

Golden Phoenix
29th December 2008, 11:16 AM
:o

I've been toying with the number ever since. At one point, I think 3 of Universe (thugs) and one Henkei (as leader) would make the perfect Armada. But then I thought I should have the reverse available too for 3 Henkei (thugs) and 1 Universe (leader). Then there's the matter of the Targetmasters and I'm thinking if thugs really should be having a Targetmaster like the leader so I figured I might have to buy some of those guns fro the Mars Attack packs so it looks better.

I know, I'm so weak. :o

Have the henkei as the leader. The Hasbro one looks a little generic compared to the Henkei one. Due to it being darked. Plus the Henkei one comes with a Chromed Targetmaster, and the Leader should have the best looking gun

kup
29th December 2008, 04:07 PM
Have the henkei as the leader. The Hasbro one looks a little generic compared to the Henkei one. Due to it being darked. Plus the Henkei one comes with a Chromed Targetmaster, and the Leader should have the best looking gun

I have to agree from that perspective. The Hasbro one may arguably be more appealing but the Henkei one stands out in a 'royal' manner due to the violet and chrome. Plus given the present exchange rate, it would cost a fortune to have an Armada composed of Henkei.

Gutsman Heavy
29th December 2008, 07:47 PM
I'll stick to the hasbro release.

GoktimusPrime
29th December 2008, 07:51 PM
I think the Hasbro version looks better. The Henkei version is more show-like... but I've never cared for show-likeness - the Universe version looks more G1 toy-accurate which looks much nicer to me.

loophole
29th December 2008, 08:09 PM
wow they are really different to each other and both have there merits this is going to be a hard one on which one to get..... might have to be both ;)

lcz128
29th December 2008, 08:36 PM
I think I shall get both... Cyclonus and his armada! :D.

Wasn't it scourge that had multiples of himself more in the show? Or was it Cyclonus as well? :S

Either way, I was already planning on getting both :)
And most likely more than one of the universe ones :)
Custom fun ! ^_^

loophole
29th December 2008, 09:07 PM
there were two Cyclonus's in the movie but only had one in the cartoon

Robzy
29th December 2008, 09:44 PM

Awww, Robzy! I hate you!

;):D

Also 40 this time, STL? :o:p

Wasn't it scourge that had multiples of himself more in the show? Or was it Cyclonus as well? :STechnically it was both... see 1:21-27 (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=z9xbI5a1ilk) :)

Lord_Zed
30th December 2008, 12:00 AM
I have to admit, in my oppinion the Henkei's bright purple really hurts the look of the figure. I expected it to be more cartoon accurate but I didn't expect it so 'happy' looking.

And to be fair, I have to give credit to Hasbro on improving Cyclonus' overall color scheme from the previous pre release photos. They have made a great difference by making a proper looking silvery plastic than the standard 'Hasbro gray' they too often like to use.

20-29/new-images-of-transformers-henkei-cyclonus-166477/[/url]

I don't see any difference with the grey, but never had a huge problem with the original grey anways. That said I still actualy prefer the henkei, while the purple is a tad bright for my liking I do like the application, I much prefer the way the colours break up the figure to the hasbro versions (not a fan of the hasbro's shoulders), I'm also a fan of well done mostly monochromatic colour schemes on toys, (they are rare on toys cause they don't scream look at me). I will happily give Hasbro credit on doing a good job on Cyclonus though, but for me henkei is still the preffered option.

I do agree henkei is a bit to bright for a nasty decep like him, I can only assume he's taking after the king of happy colours...Starscream.

Doubledealer
30th December 2008, 12:41 AM
Have to say I much prefer the Henkei version of Cyclonus and it's definitely the version I'll be buying. The show accurate colours look superb and really show off all the detail, there's far less grey than on the Hasbro version and it just looks like the real deal in my eyes. Has-Cyc reminds me of Has-streaker in that they look undercooked and a bit bland compared to their Henkei counterparts.

GoktimusPrime
30th December 2008, 08:58 AM
Hasbro's Cyclonus does look more toy-accurate, unlike Universe Sunstreaker... the original Sunstreaker never looked like that. (-_-)

Wasn't it scourge that had multiples of himself more in the show? Or was it Cyclonus as well? :S
What Robzy said - mind you, that moment was the only time we saw Cyclonus' one-bot armada... that duplicate Cyclonus is never seen again either; for the rest of the movie and cartoon series. I believe his fate is as described by the three-headed giant in Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
"He buggered off."
"So he has, he's scarpered."
:D

http://www.pinktink3.250x.com/essays/holygrail_files/image019.jpg

Makes you wonder if the one who vanished was the "armada" or the real Cyclonus, eh? If so...

Brave Cyclonus ran away
Bravely ran away away
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled
Yes Brave Cyclonus turned about
And gallantly he chickened out
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat
Bravest of the brave Cyclonus
From 1:03 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwuTo7zKM8)

sanbot
30th December 2008, 09:35 AM
I really like the look of the Hasbro version and that comes as a surprise to me since I've never come across any Hasbro versions as being better then their Henkei counterpart.

The Hasbro one is much more loyal to the G1. Plus with the darker colour it looks more menacing. The Henkei one just looks too wussy.

kup
30th December 2008, 09:40 AM
I don't see any difference with the grey, but never had a huge problem with the original grey anways. That said I still actualy prefer the henkei, while the purple is a tad bright for my liking I do like the application, I much prefer the way the colours break up the figure to the hasbro versions (not a fan of the hasbro's shoulders), I'm also a fan of well done mostly monochromatic colour schemes on toys, (they are rare on toys cause they don't scream look at me). I will happily give Hasbro credit on doing a good job on Cyclonus though, but for me henkei is still the preffered option.

I do agree henkei is a bit to bright for a nasty decep like him, I can only assume he's taking after the king of happy colours...Starscream.

I don't know, to me the gray in the original pic looks way to creamy.

http://www.siebertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1223592235_UnivCyclonusbot.jpg

GoktimusPrime
30th December 2008, 10:01 AM
The Hasbro one is much more loyal to the G1. Plus with the darker colour it looks more menacing. The Henkei one just looks too wussy.
The Hasbro one is more accurate to the G1 toy whereas the Henkei one is more accurate to the G1 cartoon - which is the general theme of the Henkei line. I don't think one is inherently better than the other... it depends on your taste. If I were a lover of show-likeness thenb I'd consider opting for the Henkei version. As it stands, I've never been a big stickler for show-likeness (except for Animated).

Ditto Classics Jetfire vs. Henkei Skyfire - they're both nice toys, but Jetfire is a better homage to the G1 toy whereas Skyfire is a better homage to the cartoon.

Stompy
30th December 2008, 11:03 PM
I personally prefer the Hasbro paint scheme over the Henkei one but the paint schemes are so different from each other that it's like having a new character altogether. Hasbro is indeed very menacing with the dark colours sharply contrasted by two different greys, some creamy teal and offset by maroon and silver. Gives a very regal dark knight feel.

Henkei's feel a lot like an Animated character. Upon closer inspection, I knew that the colour they used for him was familiar... It's almost the same colour as Animated Starscream.

Also, Nightstick with the legs being chrome makes him look like he forgot to put his pants on before going out. I agree with the post befroe... unnecessary chrome.

Golden Phoenix
30th December 2008, 11:11 PM
What Robzy said - mind you, that moment was the only time we saw Cyclonus' one-bot armada... that duplicate Cyclonus is never seen again either; for the rest of the movie and cartoon series. I believe his fate is as described by the three-headed giant in Monty Python and the Holy Grail

He bailed so if Cyclonus got killed in the series and they needed him again, they could simply retcon it and make it a typical "comic book" death saying that it had been his "armada" all along and he had just been off on a mission far away

liegeprime
31st December 2008, 12:04 AM
Hope they make a universe Scourge and so we can make an armada of Sweeps. I prefer the Hasbro version of Cyclonus... much darker menacing color scheme, plus nightstick - henkei version has unnecessary chrome. Meh.

King Atlas
31st December 2008, 03:21 AM
Henkei is the one I prefer. I can see how others dislike the shade of purple but I personally find it majestic. Universe is pretty good too but I don't care for the grey, bland parts and unpainted face.

Zippo
31st December 2008, 07:32 AM
May have said this before, but I am going to get both .. They are very different looking toys

GoktimusPrime
31st December 2008, 09:41 AM
Also, Nightstick with the legs being chrome makes him look like he forgot to put his pants on before going out.
That would most certainly be true if you were the Silver Surfer or Pepsiman. Confound their silver nudity!! ;) :p

http://www.samruby.com/Heroes/SilverSurfer/SilverSurfer.gifhttp://www.doctorhook.com/pepsiuniversecom/images/pmanschwaa.gif
"Pants? I did not remove your genitals so that you could wear pants!" - Galactus (Twisted ToyFare Theatre)