PDA

View Full Version : Transformers ROTF Comic Prequel: Alliance

Autocon
3rd January 2009, 01:05 AM
hrm wait for number 2

too short and it just covered the gaps from the movie and ross

also stated that they knew his kind called him wreckage

so why were they all uppity when sam said his name was megatron? shouldnt they have discovered that themsleves since they already had for wreckage??

Autocon
4th January 2009, 01:29 AM
anyone else read it? post your views

i_amtrunks
5th January 2009, 02:13 PM
Looks to be better than the Reign comic. but the reign comic looked good in issue 1 too, it was only after the return to Cybertron and the guessing over which coloured splotch of squiggly lines was meant to be who, that it got bad.

Art makes the movie characters look somewhat decent.

I'm mostly reading to see how little it has to do with the actual second film.

Tommy K
5th January 2009, 03:49 PM
any one notice the optimus prime peter cullen hologram? lol

FFN
5th January 2009, 06:20 PM
I quite liked this comic. Mowry tried to get some of the movie's humour in, but it seems comic writers struggle to make Simmons as humourous as he was in the movie.

I think Mowry admitted on the IDW forums that it was an oversight for Epps and Lennox to have working cell phones (a Real Gear Robot if you look closely), given the whole communications blackout Frenzy caused.

Paulbot
6th January 2009, 10:45 AM
There was also an easter egg in the vehicle that Ironhide destoryed.

It's interesting that this book picks up on plot points from the comic book prequels (such as Wreckage being captured by Sector Seven) as much as the actual movie.

Lord_Zed
12th January 2009, 11:18 PM
Looks to be better than the Reign comic. but the reign comic looked good in issue 1 too, it was only after the return to Cybertron and the guessing over which coloured splotch of squiggly lines was meant to be who, that it got bad.

Art makes the movie characters look somewhat decent.

I'm mostly reading to see how little it has to do with the actual second film.

I agree with your assesment of Reign and Alliance.

The Alliance concept seems a lot more interesting than Reign's but we shall see. I'm only reading cause I like Wreckage or the toy anyway, so hopping to see him get some personality.

They should have made Stockade one of the Sector 7 TF's though.

Firecracker
19th January 2009, 07:57 PM
I loved the first issue and the second issue's ending got me really excited for the movie! Wikid!

STL
20th January 2009, 12:57 AM
Could one of the moderators change the title of the thread to a more general discussion thread for the series?

I’d probably not even have posted about this one if not for Autocon starting the thread. Thanks man. Despite initially avoiding the Movie comics b/c I wanted to wait for the trade, I relented after I saw Jai Nizzi’s breathtaking covers. I got cover B for the 1st issue and it just oozes atmosphere and presence. There’s a lot to like about this and I’m glad to see another new set of hands on the Transformers franchise as I’d really like to see us give some new writers a go..

I thought the story itself was above average. One major problem I had was adjusting to the artwork. This isn’t a discredit to Alex Milne, I honestly think this is some of his best work. But what threw me was the fact that I’ve seen it as a live action movie. It really pulled me initially to readjust to this different format. Seeing characters I knew rendered in an entirely different manner. I got over it and suspect with a bit more time will get used to it but by the time the actual movie comes around, I fear I’ll probably find it jarring to balance the two again.

Onto Alex Milne. Wonderful stuff. I’ve been a harsh critic of Milne always saying that he can sure do pin ups but his storytelling leaves a lot to be desired. No such problems here. I think there’s a page where that guy gets off the jet at the base where he splits a single image into two panels and each carries its own weight of atmosphere. I think he struggled with the human bits a lot more but that could be an extension of the fact that I have preconceived notions of how each of the humans should look and his cartoony style is a departure from that.

The writing. I could be very harsh on Chris Mowry’s plot but I’m happy to let it go. There’s a number of plot choices he had make and the first and foremost was where to fit this “prequel”. If you read it, it doesn’t feel like a prequel. It feels far more like a sequel. The story is set within the last few scenes of the movie, just after the conclusion of the battle and before the Decepticon bodies are dumped into the ocean. This means Mowry must be quite inventive and work within that space of time without contradicting anything that is to come. That however doesn’t excuse him for some pretty average storytelling. The dialogue after the introduction of that scientist is out of place. There’s a lack of intensity in the initial stages when the Autobots are supposed to rush. The dialogue tries very hard but its not successful. The whole accepting the gig by the Lennox and his buddy comes and goes way too quickly to be convincing. One moment they’re reluctant and the next moment, they’re in?

The ending was a bit jarring too and at first very disappointing as I was trying to figure how on Earth Starscream was in a protoform shell or whatever it was. But then I guessed it must’ve been from Reign of Starscream which makes it pretty jarring if u are only following this from the movie. A little footnote/caption would’ve helped there.

Mowry hasn’t really done much with the characters either. Its more of been a straight plot movement story as opposed to much character work. And that’s probably one of its weaknesses and perhaps inherent b/c IDW can only go so far to define the characters without overstepping their boundaries into that of Hasbro and Paramount.

One of the other problems I think IDW gave themselves was how long they left this too. It should’ve easily been right on the heels of the movie right after the initial adaption. This was when the property was hot and would’ve been more accessible. Now, we feel like we’re still in the last movie as opposed to heading towards the next one b/c the time frame in which the story is set. However, a large part I suspect must have to do with Hasbro and Paramount having a say as well. They wanted to see the direction of ROTF before approving anything and as had been alluded to by Ryall and Denton, the approval process can take a long time. With something as important as ROTF is to the TF franchise, this is something that Hasbro would want to get right so hence why the delay. That’s all reasons for it but in the end it does hurt to call this a prequel when it isn’t. I think Defiance may be more of a success on that front but we’ll see. (And the covers on Defiance look great too!)

Great Moments
- Dispensor gets another moment to shine
- Beautifully rendered Ironhide. There’s no hiding the fact how much I love the toy and by extension the character.

Nice Moments
- G1 Easter Eggs: Ironhide alt mode, Long Haul nod, Optimus’ Trailer
- The fact that the Autobots are still hiding on Earth, not out in the open. Gives it that mystique still though I wonder how they can conceal that fact given their presence in a massive battle that would’ve been the centre of world attention. All the telecommunications was knocked out in the movie but there were still plenty of civilians to witness the giant robots.
- Barricade issue dealt with – not gracefully but its appreciated
- Longarm, Salvage , Landmine all appearing

Cringe Moments
- Lying to Agent Simmons and then Sam calling up mid-call. It know its supposed to be comedic but there was a lack of facial expression to convey that and it ended up being jarring
- The whole buddy buddy thing with the Autobots and Captain Lennox. Came out of nowhere. This is right after the big fight in the movie; they’ve fought a battle together but the whole change in attitude to be buddies and cover for the alien robots was just too quick a jump for me
- An out of the nowhere scientist – do we really need these one? And one with attitude too? It didn’t quite sync for me what made him so special yet his lines were so random and hardly matched the introduction he was given.

In all, it was above average but not quite excellent yet and I think what IDW here are trying to do here is maximise what they can get out of the movie franchise. Hence why they’ve focused on elaborating between moments in the movie. There are many compromises as a result so don’t expect too much and you won’t be too disappointed. I’d give it a 7/10. It’s not groundbreaking but it’s definitely satisfactory in the job it sets out to do.

FFN
22nd January 2009, 07:09 AM
STL, several of your concerns and observations are addressed in the Reign of Starscream, which you should have read before Alliance. ROS takes place during the month in between Mission City and Lennox and Epps asking the Autobots for their help.

Starscream never changed back into protoform mode. He left Earth in his F-22 form, which is what he is depicted on the last page. Issue 1 of the Reign of Starscream actually shows the altercation between Ironhide and Barricade, and Starscream's return for Barricade after the other Decepticons are killed.

I figure Lennox's men covering for the Autobots is out of a bond forged between soldiers on the battlefield. I liked the touch of the humans bowing their heads in respect to Jazz, who died provide covering fire so they could retreat. Plus I figure it's the relationship the Autobots will have with Lennox and co in ROTF.

Jai Nizzi? I think you meant Josh Nizzi.

STL
22nd January 2009, 04:36 PM
STL, several of your concerns and observations are addressed in the Reign of Starscream, which you should have read before Alliance. ROS takes place during the month in between Mission City and Lennox and Epps asking the Autobots for their help.

Now that explains a lot. I've skipped all of the movie TF comics to date b/c i expect to grab the massive Omnibus they'll eventually released. That said, it does make it harder for the casual fan like myself to jump on as I feel that its shoddy writing.

Jai Nizzi? I think you meant Josh Nizzi.

:o

Paulbot
22nd January 2009, 04:43 PM
Now that explains a lot. I've skipped all of the movie TF comics to date b/c i expect to grab the massive Omnibus they'll eventually released. That said, it does make it harder for the casual fan like myself to jump on as I feel that its shoddy writing.

Between the prequel, the prequel special, the adapatation, the comic sequel, and 2 sequel-movie prequels the IDW Movie universe is quite complex already! (And that's before you consider the UK prequel and sequel stories!) :eek:

STL
22nd January 2009, 04:44 PM
Between the prequel, the prequel special, the adapatation, the comic sequel, and 2 sequel-movie prequels the IDW Movie universe is quite complex already! (And that's before you consider the UK prequel and sequel stories!) :eek:

Oh X-Men! :eek:

FFN
22nd January 2009, 06:33 PM
From what I can tell, the order is:

-Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Defiance
-Transformers Movie Prequel (occasionally referred to as Prime Directive)
-Transformers Movie Prequel Special (reprints of Target's Interlude and Planetfall)
-Transformers (2007) movie
-The Reign of Starscream
-Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Alliance
-Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen movie

According to Alan Dean Foster on November 1st, his upcoming novel Transformers - The Veiled Threat was written with The Reign of Starscream comics in mind to avoid continuity issues, however, a month later he said he was asked to make some extensive revisions.

Furman has intentionally steered the Titan movie comics into an alternate universe where Sam died, so his stories don't count, thankfully, as they seem to be getting pretty stupid.

STL
19th February 2009, 12:13 AM
Just picked up the 2nd issue along w/ a whole lot of other comics today. Pricey :eek: But one of the gems was definitely the cover of Ironhide by Nizzi. Damn its gorgeous.

http://www.joshnizzi.com/images/joshnizzi_TFD_cover_02_FINAL_1000.jpg

blackie
19th February 2009, 12:14 AM
Just picked up the 2nd issue along w/ a whole lot of other comics today. Pricey :eek: But one of the gems was definitely the cover of Ironhide by Nizzi. Damn its gorgeous.
]

why did you get them today?
doesnt max dino 3 come out tmoz?

STL
19th February 2009, 12:18 AM
why did you get them today?
doesnt max dino 3 come out tmoz?

It actually came out tonight. They receive their comics on Wed normally but don't sort thru them until that evening. Plus, I was pass there for lunch today so it made easy to pop in and pay it off.

GoktimusPrime
19th February 2009, 12:42 PM
My comic store hasn't even gotten in #1 yet... what gives?

STL
19th February 2009, 05:34 PM
My comic store hasn't even gotten in #1 yet... what gives?

Either they didn't order it or they ordered low quantities which were quickly gobbled up.

i_amtrunks
20th February 2009, 09:09 AM
PhantomZone in Chatswood are terrible for only ordering in 1 or 2 extra Transformers comics, than what their standing order people ordered.

Guess Parra is probably the same.

Funnily enough, the crap comics that anyone could tell you werent going to sell (UK reprints, Saga of the Allspark) they seem to order in heaps of, but revelation, beast Wars and other more popular comics they order none of... go figure.

STL
22nd February 2009, 11:17 PM
PhantomZone in Chatswood are terrible for only ordering in 1 or 2 extra Transformers comics, than what their standing order people ordered.

Guess Parra is probably the same.

Funnily enough, the crap comics that anyone could tell you werent going to sell (UK reprints, Saga of the Allspark) they seem to order in heaps of, but revelation, beast Wars and other more popular comics they order none of... go figure.

I think they expected b/c Saga of the Allspark had been limited to the UK there might be more demand since it spun right out of the movie.

With BWs stuff and Revelation, those had been having a pretty miserable track record so they didn't bother.

Do you guys ask about those comics if they don't have them? If you do that definitely heightens the chances of them ordering more in the future. Maybe not just you guys but if every fan who misses out goes in and asks, that'd result in at least 2-3 more copies ordered for the shelves

But I guess u can't blame them. They have to stay in business after all and why put something on the shelves that people have been walking away from? If I ran a comic shop, I doubt I'd order more than extra 1 or 2 copies of AHM or Beast Wars despite actually like the comics b/c I know the IDW TFs just don't sell well period.

GoktimusPrime
23rd February 2009, 06:46 PM
I spoke to Phantom Zone Parramatta about Alliance and got told that their shipment got delayed... so hopefully I'll be getting it soon. (-_-)

Firecracker
27th February 2009, 11:13 PM
I just read issue 3... This series goes from strength to strength. It's really building to the Movie. My Decepticon Movie toys have a renewed appreciation! Ssshhh, while I go spin Incinerator's blades. :D

i_amtrunks
2nd March 2009, 10:36 AM
And the name dropping was not even so obvious!

Mowry has improved as a writer, but I wonder if he has left himself too much to do with all these non-first-movie Decepticons roaming around (and I guess highly unlikely to appear in the sequel).

Autocon
8th April 2009, 11:46 PM
so after all four issues have been released was it a great comic series?

i like it although they could have fleshed it out a bit better

i_amtrunks
9th April 2009, 09:55 AM
so after all four issues have been released was it a great comic series?

i like it although they could have fleshed it out a bit better

It was a nothing series. I feel quite stupid for buying it, as of course it adds nothing new to either movie, so as not to be spoilery or contradictory.

Defiance on the other hand is setting up everything...

STL
10th April 2009, 11:46 PM
It was a nothing series. I feel quite stupid for buying it, as of course it adds nothing new to either movie, so as not to be spoilery or contradictory.

I knew that coming in but I bought both series just for the Nizzi cover art. I'm very weak. :o :o :o