PDA

View Full Version : JP mag - MP Grimlock, Henkei Cyclonus, Mickey Convoy.

griffin
6th January 2009, 04:24 PM
Scans from the latest JP Mag Hyper Hobby have appeared online, showing some really nice pics of MP Grimlock, Henkei Cyclonus (looking very cartoony), Alternity Megatron prototype, Henkei Inferno and Ratchet, and Transformers Disney Label MickeyMouse Trailer.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/february-2009-hyper-hobby-scans---masterpiece-grimlock-disney-label-henkei-alternity-megatron-166524/

and for those without tfw2005 access, watermarked pics can be found here:

http://tformers.com/transformers-hyper-hobby-magazine-transformers-updates/10704/news.html

I really like Grimlock (it shows how to change the colour of the dino eyes). Cyclonus colours really show off its cartoon form.
Nice close up of Altenity Megatron's head. And not sure why there is a Mickey Prime is black and white, but apparently it is a limited edition variant to the Optimus coloured one.

kup
6th January 2009, 05:53 PM
The appear to be using the Universe pics for Ratchet and Inferno. The other Tak-Tom promos for those toys look different.

heroic_decepticon
6th January 2009, 06:02 PM
MP Grimlock looks great. His dino arms are a little too lenghty though?

Still not buying into Alternity Megatron :cool:

Mr_K
6th January 2009, 06:26 PM
MP Grimlock is gonna be a bust buy for me when he comes out, however with the increasing AUS dollar atm, I'm gonna wait till he's released to order him; he's dear enough as it is so if the exchange rate continues to improve it will be a bit nicer.

Adzma
6th January 2009, 07:39 PM
Grimlock is looking quite nice. I wonder where the die-cast will be? I just hope TakTom don't cheat us like they did with Greenscream and Megs by making two bars in his chest or his toes metal respectively. Still, considering the lack of care for figure QC lately, I'm not going to buy him immediately, I'll wait for feedback before committing to him, and if TakTom once again let us down, I'll wait for Hasbro's version. So far they seem to be doing pretty well QC wise with Masterpiece moulds.

Lord_Zed
6th January 2009, 07:45 PM
Me like Grimlock very much, uh I mean that Grimlock just keeps looking cooler each time I see it. the other stuff looks cool to. I like the Alternity Megs to, it's nice that they've made his head a little different, though I doubt I can afford to get Alternity Megs and Grimlock if there released around the same time.

Robzy
6th January 2009, 08:20 PM
I like the "eye-colour-changer" gimmick on Grimlock!!

The appear to be using the Universe pics for Ratchet and Inferno. The other Tak-Tom promos for those toys look different.Yeah - I was thinking the same thing... don't like the red crest on Ratchet personally

MV75
7th January 2009, 09:27 AM
I really like Grimlock (it shows how to change the colour of the dino eyes). Cyclonus colours really show off its cartoon form.
Nice close up of Altenity Megatron's head. And not sure why there is a Mickey Prime is black and white, but apparently it is a limited edition variant to the Optimus coloured one.

Megatron looks great. I might have to get that one. :)

Micky in black and white would have been more significant if it turned into a steamboat instead.

With the purple cyclonus, I think I might have to hunt down a purple g1 galvatron.

dirge
7th January 2009, 11:02 AM
I like the look of that Cyclonus.

1orion2many
7th January 2009, 11:16 AM
Cyclonus looks a little bit light on colour for me, I wonder how many people will be on this forum saying "OH NO I just broke off my skinny little T-Rex arms from MP Grimlock" as they are looking a bit fragile:eek::D.

kup
7th January 2009, 11:18 AM
I think the arms will be ok, at worse they will come off their joints and be easy to reattach. There would only be a risk of snapping them if the joints are made way too tight.

Hot Rodimus
7th January 2009, 11:22 AM
I must have MP Grimlock....... I have no idea where the funds are going to come from and I sure as hell won't tell my wife how much it costs but I need it :D

GoktimusPrime
7th January 2009, 11:35 AM
Grimlock looks hawt! Damn, stupid Aussie Dollar - GET UP! *kick kick*

Adzma
7th January 2009, 11:41 AM
Gok I thought you were waiting for the local release. Sudden change of mind? ;) By the way Gok, do you think you could maybe pretty please if you felt like it translate some of the text for us...? :D

griffin
7th January 2009, 01:53 PM
With the purple cyclonus, I think I might have to hunt down a purple g1 galvatron.

Ooo, good thinking. I have that Galvatron too, and Cyclonus would look sweet next to it. And Titanium Scourge should work to complete the trio, even if it is a little bit smaller.

The_Damned
7th January 2009, 02:38 PM
damn grimlock looks awesome even btr then the first pics.

Golden Phoenix
7th January 2009, 03:25 PM
Damn, stupid Aussie Dollar - GET UP!

You can get pill for that

Hereticpoo
7th January 2009, 04:19 PM
I must have MP Grimlock....... I have no idea where the funds are going to come from and I sure as hell won't tell my wife how much it costs but I need it :D

Haha i know exactly what you mean. My preorder was nowhere near the price I told her! :D

GoktimusPrime
7th January 2009, 06:15 PM
Gok I thought you were waiting for the local release. Sudden change of mind?
If the AUD can get itself up higher against the JPY then I would absolutely consider getting one from Japan. Otherwise I'm undecided... at the current cost of the toy plus postage I might wait for the Hasbro version... although I fear that Hasbro will somehow screw something up. Gah! (-_-)

By the way Gok, do you think you could maybe pretty please if you felt like it translate some of the text for us...?
Meh... there's nothing really there that you wouldn't already know. The article is written for people who know nothing about Transformers. :)

Adzma
7th January 2009, 08:11 PM
If the AUD can get itself up higher against the JPY then I would absolutely consider getting one from Japan. Otherwise I'm undecided... at the current cost of the toy plus postage I might wait for the Hasbro version... although I fear that Hasbro will somehow screw something up. Gah! (-_-)
Well lets not get ahead of ourselves, TakTom have been screwing things up much more than Hasbro lately.

Meh... there's nothing really there that you wouldn't already know. The article is written for people who know nothing about Transformers. :)
Alrighty no worries then.

Lord_Zed
7th January 2009, 08:24 PM
Well lets not get ahead of ourselves, TakTom have been screwing things up much more than Hasbro lately.

So I hear, though so far I've gotten of ok. But Hasbro still has a negative MP score from 2 different releases of MP Prime inferior to the Takara Version, and a positive with One improved Starscream.

So there score is -1 + -1 + 1 = -1. :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th January 2009, 12:30 AM
Whats the little doobything on the top of Grimbos head in one of the small shots?

Looks VERY cool though.

kup
8th January 2009, 12:49 AM
So I hear, though so far I've gotten of ok. But Hasbro still has a negative MP score from 2 different releases of MP Prime inferior to the Takara Version, and a positive with One improved Starscream.

So there score is -1 + -1 + 1 = -1. :D

As of late, the problem with Takara-Tomy though is not so much the paint or materials used, its them allowing toys out of the factory with horrendous manufacturing issues.

I have been burned by two Henkei so far with Ironhide and Streak. Streak was the worse, much worse that I needed to buy a Universe version to 'repair' it.

Hot Rodimus
8th January 2009, 09:25 AM
Whats the little doobything on the top of Grimbos head in one of the small shots?

Looks VERY cool though.

Is it the thingy he used to transfer his intelligence to the technobots?

GoktimusPrime
8th January 2009, 10:15 AM
Yup. From the episode "Grimlock's New Brain" where, for a short while, Grimlock didn't act like a raging retard in a post-season 2 cartoon appearance! :)

roller
8th January 2009, 10:38 AM
Yup. From the episode "Grimlock's New Brain" where, for a short while, Grimlock didn't act like a raging retard in a post-season 2 cartoon appearance! :)

and sounded like Skyfire when he had his super intelligence

Hot Rodimus
8th January 2009, 11:36 AM
HA ha

I personaly liked Grimlock more as a raging retard, it just seemed to fit the character better. I am a Grimmie fan though.

swoop
8th January 2009, 01:11 PM
I gotta disagree grimlock was better in the comics, especially his earlier apperances in marvels transformers run. You should have a look at them and dreamwaves war within series and it'll change your mind

Hot Rodimus
8th January 2009, 01:27 PM
Hmm, ok Swoop, I stand corrected.... thinking back to the comics I have read (end of the Road line & All Fall Down line) Grimmie is not a raging retard in those and actually shows intelligence and a cunning that is impressive. I actually really enjoyed his involement in these story lines and made me like him more.

I haven't read War Within but have seen it mentioned on these boards a bit so I will look out for it (and Minimal/Maximum Dinobots)

I still think he was too smart in the toons before he gave his brains to the techno bots though.

Lord_Zed
8th January 2009, 01:30 PM
I gotta disagree grimlock was better in the comics, especially his earlier apperances in marvels transformers run. You should have a look at them and dreamwaves war within series and it'll change your mind

I agree which is why I'm so keen for a Grimlock MP, though I thought the end run of the Marvel US series really made Grimlock interesting, he's the character who walks that fine line between the light and the dark, the anti hero of the Transformers universe.

GoktimusPrime
8th January 2009, 02:31 PM
I personaly liked Grimlock more as a raging retard, it just seemed to fit the character better. I am a Grimmie fan though.
My favourite Grimlock is Grimlock from the original G1 (and G2) Marvel comics. He was never a raging retard there... he sometimes made less than wise decisions, but he wasn't a fool.

Adzma
8th January 2009, 05:04 PM
Aww but Grimlock's so hiwarwious in the show. :D

Hot Rodimus
8th January 2009, 05:24 PM
My favourite Grimlock is Grimlock from the original G1 (and G2) Marvel comics. He was never a raging retard there... he sometimes made less than wise decisions, but he wasn't a fool.

True, after that period they did become somewhat comic relief, though still cool in my opinion. I just didn't like him as the intellectual type, to me it just didn't seem to fit.

He is totally passable and respectable as a streetwise,cunning,strategist and ruthless type though, which by no means makes him dumb.

In the end any Grimlock is good, I don't think I could get sick of the dinobots.

heroic_decepticon
8th January 2009, 06:14 PM

I'd say he was more a docile retard in Season 3...

Lord_Zed
8th January 2009, 10:46 PM
Aww but Grimlock's so hiwarwious in the show. :D

Yeah like that Jar Jar fellow in Star Wars.

As far as I'm concenred Dr Smoov's version of SOS Dinobots is canon for the show, and if anyone ever tells me otherwise....

..I'll Ignore them. :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th January 2009, 01:34 AM
Is it the thingy he used to transfer his intelligence to the technobots?

Not that thingymabob, its the one that is third from the left in the 4 pictures that are in a row. It looks like the top of his head folds open or something:eek:

Oh with a closer look, the blurb seems to go on about lighty eyes and some stuff, so maybe he has electrics in his noggin:D

griffin
9th January 2009, 01:54 AM
Not that thingymabob, its the one that is third from the left in the 4 pictures that are in a row. It looks like the top of his head folds open or something:eek:

Oh with a closer look, the blurb seems to go on about lighty eyes and some stuff, so maybe he has electrics in his noggin:D

I really like Grimlock (it shows how to change the colour of the dino eyes).

Hot Rodimus
9th January 2009, 09:31 AM
Yep its the eye colour changing hatch doohicky.......... whats everyones preference, red or blue?

GoktimusPrime
9th January 2009, 09:49 AM
Red. The original toy's eyes are red and comic Grimlock's eyes are red too. Grimlock's eyes were only blue in the cartoon and yeah... DrSmoov's "SOS Wheeljack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aTbHsZJ9g)" says it all. :p

"That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard!" :D

Hot Rodimus
9th January 2009, 09:54 AM
Yeah I am going red too and sitting him next to my G1 Grimmie..... Why the autobot blue eye decepticon red eye in the cartoons? I mean did they think kids needed additional hints who the bad guys were or something?

Never thought about it until now.

Hot Rodimus
9th January 2009, 09:55 AM
I am gonna watch that youtube clip when there are less people in the office lol

GoktimusPrime
9th January 2009, 10:43 AM
Why the autobot blue eye decepticon red eye in the cartoons? I mean did they think kids needed additional hints who the bad guys were or something?
Heh, I guess faction symbols alone weren't enough. :p They did a similar thing in I, Robot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0f3JeDVeEo) too, only that the robots' torsoes would turn red if they were evil. Mmm... cheese fresh... :)

Adzma
9th January 2009, 10:55 AM
Yep its the eye colour changing hatch doohicky.......... whats everyones preference, red or blue?
I prefer the blue personally, but that's mainly because I don't own a G1 Grimlock toy, and I'm too lazy to read the Marvel comics. :p I tried but gave up after the first four issues I think it was. So for me it's show-canon.

heroic_decepticon
9th January 2009, 11:30 AM

Yeah I am going red too and sitting him next to my G1 Grimmie..... Why the autobot blue eye decepticon red eye in the cartoons? I mean did they think kids needed additional hints who the bad guys were or something?

Blue-eyed Autobots and Red-eyed Decepticons (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2007/10/blue-eyed-autobots-and-red-eyed.html)

Lord_Zed
9th January 2009, 01:11 PM

Red, because it looks meaner, and blue is synonimus with mentaly challeneged Grimlock.

kup
9th January 2009, 01:50 PM
Blue-eyed Autobots and Red-eyed Decepticons (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2007/10/blue-eyed-autobots-and-red-eyed.html)

I prefer the eye color variations that we get in the toys and comics. All Transformers are divided by ideology not race so there is no reason why Autobots would have only blue eyes and Decepticons only red eyes.

Also some Decepticons do not consider themselves evil either (such as Carnivac or Catilla and even Thundercracker if he ever gets some characterisation) so there is no reason why their eyes should be red since they are not evil themselves .

heroic_decepticon
9th January 2009, 02:45 PM
I prefer the eye color variations that we get in the toys and comics. All Transformers are divided by ideology not race so there is no reason why Autobots would have only blue eyes and Decepticons only red eyes.

Also some Decepticons do not consider themselves evil either (such as Carnivac or Catilla and even Thundercracker if he ever gets some characterisation) so there is no reason why their eyes should be red since they are not evil themselves .

isn't Catilla an Autobot (although he was in the Mayhem Attach Squad)?

I can agree with your view. And in that sense, saying that Autobots should have blue eyes and Decepticons should have red is almost like saying that there is only good and evil, black and white in the TF universe. It rules out the possibilities of grey.

Arguably, even Decepticons that may not be 'evil' all the time can/should have red eyes, unless they switch factions. Their starting point is that of a Decepticon and at the end of the day, they are still Decepticons even if they chose in particular moments not to be 'evil'. Just because Hitler "oversaw one of the greatest expansions of industrial production and civil improvement Germany had ever seen, mostly based on debt flotation and expansion of the military" does not mean he is less 'evil', and at the end of the day, he is still a nazi. He had chosen where he will stand and will be viewed as part of that collective notwithstanding the odd act that is inconsistent with the practices and ideaology of that faction.

What perhaps I'm lamenting most about is the gross lack of consistency in terms of eye colour. If bot X were to have colour Y eyes, then I'd hope that this would be consistent, at least across that particular field it appears in (ie: IDW comics). I feel something bordering on exasperation when there are wildly inconsistent eye colours say within the Dreamwave universe or even the IDW one.

But I think I must end with saying that where TF eye colour is concerned, it is very much a thing of personal preference, and my preference being such does not mean that it is any more right than another preference.

Adzma
9th January 2009, 03:14 PM
Here, here! Now lets all get drunk and play ping pong!
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/9/9a/Number_One.png

Robzy
9th January 2009, 03:15 PM
Poor Thrust must be so confused...

http://www.tfu.info/1985/Decepticon/Thrust/cartoonshot.jpg
:)

kup
9th January 2009, 03:47 PM
isn't Catilla an Autobot (although he was in the Mayhem Attach Squad)?

According to Marvel G1 fiction: Catilla is a Decepticon who was willing to give up his Decepticon ideals and join the Autobots. Something that Catilla's friend, Carnivac was not ready to do despite joining the surviving Autobots after the Time Wars.

Also according to that G1 cartoon episode, their eyes don't change at will but rather changed because the Autobot themselves became evil so according to cartoon canon, eye color is not exactly a cosmetic change but something that manifests if the Transformer is evil or good.

GoktimusPrime
9th January 2009, 05:55 PM
As far as the comics were concerned, Catilla was a Decepticon with the heart of an Autobot. Carnivac was a Decepticon who, like Thundercracker should have been, doubted the Decepticon cause and ended up losing faith in it. Both Catilla and Carnivac allied themselves with the surviving Autobot members of the Wreckers (forming the Survivors) but Carnivac always steadfastly remained a Decepticon despite being allied with Autobots - a lot like how Blackarachnia insisted on remaining a Predacon for a long time despite being allied with Maximals.

Anyway, I think it's great that TakaraTOMY are going to so much effort into taking both the fans of the G1 cartoon and comics into account. Just set the eye colour to whichever your preference is. :)

Lord_Zed
10th January 2009, 01:05 AM
Discriminating against red eyed Transformers is racist damnit.

Anyways based on the cartoon theory neutral Transfomers should have purple eyes.

Adzma
10th January 2009, 09:54 AM
Since this discussion is still continuing, (no one wanted to get drunk and play ping pong :() remember how when Skyfire and Starscream were friends? They were both scientists but Screamer still had red eyes. Maybe he's been evil all along!

GoktimusPrime
10th January 2009, 11:10 AM
Autobots who don't have blue eyes & Decepticons who don't have red eyes in the G1 cartoon. :)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/cartooneyes.jpg

Gutsman Heavy
10th January 2009, 02:19 PM
Outback has no eyes!
"Crikey, I'm blind drunk here"!

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th January 2009, 05:24 PM

Oh yeh, READING posts seesm to help a lot dunnit?

As for the eye debate. I am going for "Mood eyes" When I am agnry red all the way, when not angry, blue.

Now I just have to carry grimlock around with me everywhere and hand out little cards to people explaining the system...:p

roller
10th January 2009, 11:43 PM
Autobots who don't have blue eyes &
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/cartooneyes.jpg

Skyfire has to be the worlds smallest decepticon for a time, length of alliance not height you fool:p

GoktimusPrime
11th January 2009, 05:34 PM
Skyfire's career as a Decepticon lasted longer than Crosscut (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Crosscut_(Decepticon))'s. :p And remember that he (Jetfire) started off as a Decepticon in the G1 comics too. :)