PDA

View Full Version : animated swoop

Hot Rodimus
7th January 2009, 10:16 AM
Just picked this guy up the other day and I am impressed.

I was a major Swoop fan back in the day and used to own the incredibly fragile G1 figure ( who is no longer with us) so to pick this guy up I was excited.

Swoop looks pretty good in Alt mode though his legs are a bit too long compared to how they should be or how he looks in the cartoon, just a minor niggle but overall this is a pretty cool looking mode.

Transforming him to robot mode is a piece of cake and once done the robot mode looks sweet!!! Pretty much a perfect representation of how he looks on the screen. He has a ball and chain for a weapon which is really cool though I think it would have been even better if it had a real chain like on the proto pics on the back of the packet instead of the plastic links you actually get.

My only gripe with this figure is what appears to be a production fault. Kind of hard to explain but Swoops wings are hinged on his back which allows for his transformation. One wing has a cover over the screw which is in the hinge and the other does not, when viewed from the under side this problem is still present put the sides reversed so it seems to me that during production part of swoops wing was manufactored incorrectly. I have seen about 8 other figures in the shops and they all have this fault and all the package pictures on the net show the same fault too. It is not a major problem but does visually detract from what would otherwise be a perfect figure.

I am pretty much in love with this one, aswell as the other dino's and I give it a 8/10

GoktimusPrime
7th January 2009, 06:45 PM
I rate Snarl as my favourite Animated Dinobot and Swoop as a close second. Grimlock is just fail and so not worth its Voyager price tag.
http://www.vector-sigma.it/museum/d/14369-1/Animated_Swoop_bot.jpg
Now I say that Swoop is a close second because although I consider Snarl to be a better toy, Swoop is a pretty ambitious endeavour. It's not an easy feat to make a thin alt mode like a pterosaur transform into a bulky humanoid robot. TF jets also face the same dilemma. While the robot arms on the wings do bring back bad memories from Transmetal Terrorsaur, unlike TM Terrorsaur the robot arms can at least detach from the wings and the wings end up dressing up the back of the robot mode instead of dangling from the robot arms. I also think Swoop has the nicest weapon of the Animated Dinobots.

Perhaps I should encourage my Animated Swoop to join my Transmetal Terrorsaur's tabletop role-playing game group. ;) :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Summoner%20Geeks%20photocomic/dsummoner16.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Summoner%20Geeks%20photocomic/dsummoner17.jpg

loophole
7th January 2009, 10:59 PM
Swoop is a very :cool: figure one my fav's

Hot Rodimus
8th January 2009, 04:15 PM
I agree, Swoop is very sexy in Bot and Alt mode and he definitely has the best weapon.

I know your not a Grimlock fun Goktimus but I still suprised that Snarl is your favourite. He is very cool despite his ugly club that could have used an additional colour but Swoop is just so damn good.

I really like Grimlocks figure, the arms annoy me somewhat and he does have a hole in his chest in dino mode but he is still a very accurate depiction of his toon charater and just looks like a bad ass.

Snarl would be my least favourite, but dang all three of em look damn good posed together on my shelf.

Goktimus, does your swoop have the fault I was taking about?

SilverDragon
8th January 2009, 09:37 PM
Goktimus, does your swoop have the fault I was taking about?

I'm not Gok, but my Swoop has it too. Since loads of people have talked about their Swoops having it, it's not a fault, it's supposed to be like that.

Still looks screwed up, though.

Hot Rodimus
9th January 2009, 09:39 AM
Weird man, I didn't notice it at first, I mean I was just stoked to have a swoop again, wasn't until I got him home and opened him up that I noticed. At first I was really ticked off and emailed Hasbro...... since they are on holiday until the 12th according to the auto response email I got I didn't get a reply and just left it.

It does look weird to me and I think that even if it was supposed to be like that it shouldn't, but overall I am still very happy with the figure overall

GoktimusPrime
9th January 2009, 10:03 AM
I know your not a Grimlock fun Goktimus but I still suprised that Snarl is your favourite. He is very cool despite his ugly club that could have used an additional colour but Swoop is just so damn good.
I don't dislike all Grimlocks... depends on which continuity you're talking about. I like G1/G2 comic Grimlock. Don't like Animated Grimlock cos he's an even bigger 'tard than G1 cartoon Grimmie. Bleecch. (-_-) (seriously, Animated Grimlock makes G1 post-S2 cartoon Grimlock look like a genius).

You've just explained there why I like Snarl - he is a pretty cool toy despite the lack of detailing on the club (and too much detailing on the eyes!). Swoop is a very very close second for me. Think of the difference between 1st and 2nd place in last year's Melbourne Cup... it's that close. :)

Hot Rodimus
15th January 2009, 03:35 PM
ok well Hasbro got back to me, actualy it was the toy designer himself with the explanation on why Swoop has the screw showing on one of his wings.

from the email:
This is Eric Siebenaler, the designer of the toy that you are referring to. Thanks for taking an active role in letting us know what we can do better.

I’m attaching photos of the product in question and would like you to confirm if they match your description. If so, the toy is correct. If not, then there may have been a slight mistake/or an engineering change-up in the manufacturing process. This sometimes happens to ensure consistent safety standards. Other changes may have been made to ensure that production costs were met (i.e. The screws are covered in my Grey model photos, but the finished toy has actual screws).

As it were, if your toy does match the pictures that I’m sending to you, there is no production fault. There is an explanation for why the joints are screwed in from different sides of the wings on this toy. This is actually a very clever engineering system designed to minimize manufacturing errors. Explanation - Left and Right wings look pretty similar... Left and Right wing Joint pieces look very similar... In efforts to minimize confusion of “which parts go where?”, the screw setting has been designed to fit one way on the Left set, and another way on the Right set. This method makes it very difficult to Mix up opposite parts.

Thought the pics he sent me were cool too

i_amtrunks
15th January 2009, 04:13 PM
Pretty snazzy to get a response from the designer himself.

A perk of Eric being in the country I suppose!

GoktimusPrime
15th January 2009, 10:58 PM
That and being to hang out with him was, as Cheetor would say, Ultra Gear! :D

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Transfan%20Meets/Parramatta%20Meet%20November%202008/th_parrameet_nov08_05.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Transfan%20Meets/Parramatta%20Meet%20November%202008/parrameet_nov08_05.jpg)

liegeprime
16th January 2009, 09:19 AM
Of the three Animated donis Swoop is my #1 though. I like his slender Physique, though the alt mode suffers from longleggedness ( dont think there's such a word :p) the bot mode is screaming "assassin" to me. If he was given perhaps a katana or a long pole with a blade in the end , perfect. BUT, tha would not be in keeping with the primeval theme of their weapons. having said that as well, his weapon among the three is the best one yet, next would be the flaming sword of Grimy ( though I hate how his face can be seen in alt mode) last of course is the big carrot of Snarlag. Of the three Grimy is my least fave but only due to the face being seen in alt mode, if that had been rectified he'd be second. Hope they make 2 more dinos though. dont care what they're names would be , as long as one's a stegosaurus (G1 Snarl was my fave dino - pity he got assimilated).

GoktimusPrime
16th January 2009, 10:12 AM
If he was given perhaps a katana or a long pole with a blade in the end , perfect. BUT, tha would not be in keeping with the primeval theme of their weapons.
...or bombs... considering that Animated Swoop's function is bombardier. (-_-) They should've changed it to something more suitable if they wanted to maintain the theme of ancient weaponry. I think Swoop should've been an archer - it would still make him the Dinobots' long-range fighter but still maintain that Ye Olde weapon theme.

Swoop has the best weapon amongst the Animated Dinobots, but I don't know how effective he would be as a bombardier using a flail!

liegeprime
16th January 2009, 10:51 AM
well he'd prolly "swoop" and as he passes you by, you duck but when you get up, BAM around the tail end is the flail you never knew coming hehehe, Another weapon which wouldve fit him is a bola whip ( like Catwoman's whip) Its wicked and long range and downright painful hehehe plus it's still long range... depends on how long it is :D

SilverDragon
16th January 2009, 04:35 PM
...or bombs... considering that Animated Swoop's function is bombardier. (-_-) They should've changed it to something more suitable if they wanted to maintain the theme of ancient weaponry. I think Swoop should've been an archer - it would still make him the Dinobots' long-range fighter but still maintain that Ye Olde weapon theme.

Swoop has the best weapon amongst the Animated Dinobots, but I don't know how effective he would be as a bombardier using a flail!

Well, Swoop can attack from a distance by breathing fire.

For some reason, before we saw Swoop's robot mode and his flail, I thought that Swoop's weapon would be a boomerang.

It'd work with the theme of ancient weaponry, and it could potentially be stored under a wing in beast mode.

GoktimusPrime
16th January 2009, 06:54 PM
Well, Swoop can attack from a distance by breathing fire.
I said long range. As far as ranged weapons are concerned, flamethrowers are relatively short ranged - though not as short-ranged as depicted in movies... they have a typical 50-80m range. A longbow on the other hand can fly up to 165-228m. In ancient combat snipers would use bows, not flamethrowers, which were more reserved for naval combat and to a lesser extent, land siege combat.

Tetsuwan Convoy
25th January 2009, 08:38 PM
Swoop's weapon is most un-fitting, I mean just the size alone is odd, Swoop almost looks small next to it:p I would say he is my fave Dinobot as well. Shame that the flames were taken out of the ball, I was realy looking forward to that, but I can see the safety issues thar.

I would love a Stegosaurus as well! ThI think the "fins" (for want of a better word, "Sails" perhaps?) would look really cool with animated's styling in mind!

GoktimusPrime
25th January 2009, 10:46 PM
Swoop's weapon is most un-fitting, I mean just the size alone is odd, Swoop almost looks small next to it
heh, gave me the image of Wicket W. Warrick knocking himself on the head with his bolos in Return of the Jedi. ;)

I think the "fins" (for want of a better word, "Sails" perhaps?)
Plates. :)

SilverDragon
26th January 2009, 02:07 PM
Swoop's weapon is most un-fitting, I mean just the size alone is odd, Swoop almost looks small next to it:p I would say he is my fave Dinobot as well. Shame that the flames were taken out of the ball, I was realy looking forward to that, but I can see the safety issues thar.

They weren't taken out of the ball-they're still inside it. They just need to be modded to pop out.

Hot Rodimus
26th January 2009, 05:59 PM
Has anyone tried the mod for swoops weapon?

I kinda like how large and menancing looking it appears next to his slender frame, it hints at him having great strength to use it effectively in battle.

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th January 2009, 08:50 PM
They weren't taken out of the ball-they're still inside it. They just need to be modded to pop out.

I took mine apart and all the parts are fuse together. They are moulded to the shape of te ball. I didn't see any way to assemble them so they wouls stick out without cutting them up.

Kyle
26th January 2009, 08:54 PM
I took mine apart and all the parts are fuse together. They are moulded to the shape of te ball. I didn't see any way to assemble them so they wouls stick out without cutting them up.

I remember seeing a mod before and it required cutting some plastic to make the intended gimmick work.

Stompy
26th January 2009, 09:39 PM
I watched a clip with the mod where the flame comes out on the end of the ball.

I opened up the weapon and notcied that you would have to cut about 4 small pegs and the two large pegs that houses the screws. Plus the vertical one has to be cut down by a centimeter or so which will make it move forward as the video shows. But I think the original concept required different pieces so the flames came outwards like wings on all four compass directions. Like a claw if you will. Which would require a simple mechanism of geared ends for each falme and perhaps a slightly different ball innards.

GoktimusPrime
26th January 2009, 11:16 PM
I kinda like how large and menancing looking it appears next to his slender frame, it hints at him having great strength to use it effectively in battle.
Although all that strength and a powerful weapon are worth bugger all against Decepticons armed with laser guns, missiles and capable of supersonic flight. Yup. Conan the Barbarian and Miyamoto Musashi ain't nuthin' against even an average F-22 Raptor pilot. :D

Reminds me of "Darths and Droids" Part 8 (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0008.html) and Part 9 (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0009.html). :) :D

Golden Phoenix
26th January 2009, 11:50 PM
Conan the Barbarian and Miyamoto Musashi ain't nuthin' against even an average F-22 Raptor pilot. :D

But a F-33 Raptor pilot isn't ain't nuthin' if I summon a bigger fish! :p

Swoop may posses the ability to throw fire through his mace. I don't know how, but he can spit fire in at least one if I remember correctly, maybe he could use it in a different way

Hot Rodimus
27th January 2009, 09:26 AM
Although all that strength and a powerful weapon are worth bugger all against Decepticons armed with laser guns, missiles and capable of supersonic flight. Yup. Conan the Barbarian and Miyamoto Musashi ain't nuthin' against even an average F-22 Raptor pilot. :D

Reminds me of "Darths and Droids" Part 8 (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0008.html) and Part 9 (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0009.html). :) :D

true it is a limiting weapon when compared to modern or fictional weapons others may have but it does keep in theme of the dinobots/primitive dark ages kinda look which I think is very cool.

And good thing for Conan and Mushashi that F-22's weren't around in their day huh huh:)

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 06:30 PM
Of course, my logic didn't work for the Empire when their Imperial fleet and 2nd Death Star were destroyed at the hands of primitive woodland teddy bears. :p ;) Yub nub!!

Golden Phoenix
27th January 2009, 06:57 PM
Of course, my logic didn't work for the Empire when their Imperial fleet and 2nd Death Star were destroyed at the hands of primitive woodland teddy bears. :p ;) Yub nub!!

You have to remember that Stormtroopers get stage fright and fail dismally at really stupid times, hence the term :Stormtrooper effect

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2009, 11:14 PM
heh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7p96aiE32k) heh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UVVBctvylU&feature=related) :)

Hot Rodimus
28th January 2009, 09:40 PM
In all honesty I kinda wanted to see Wicket and his buddies get their asses handed to them after I watched Caravan of Courage....not sure about you guys but I couldn't get into it

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2009, 10:16 PM
Caravan of Courage is a lot better than Star Wars Episode 4.5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCNGjKnTzaQ). (-_-)

Hot Rodimus
29th January 2009, 09:00 AM
haha thanks Gok, I just wasted 9:58 mins watching that and I will never get it back...pretty bad indeed