benben2142
27th January 2008, 11:33 PM
First review http://youtube.com/watch?v=hoSAoU_LTiw

jaydisc
28th January 2008, 12:08 AM
Well done benben

dirge
28th January 2008, 12:14 AM
FYI benben, there is some minor remoulding. The post on one side of the larger gun is new - it allows one of the other limb's gun to attach, forming a hybrid weapon for Ruination.

dirge
28th January 2008, 02:56 AM
So that means it's a g2 reissue then? :)

No, the changes were introduced on Greyjeeper, the Car Robots precursor to Rollbar.

Soundwarp
28th January 2008, 08:31 AM
Wow mate, that was really good!!!

Looks like you have studied Gok's style and it was great!

Borgeman
28th January 2008, 09:17 AM
very well done :)

George

liegeprime
28th January 2008, 09:36 AM
Just a little more lighting as it is rather dark. Or shoot the camera angle with the lighting from the back or either side of the camera and not against the light as it shows the figure you are reviewing as too dark to really appreciate. But well done for your first post. :)

TheDirtyDigger
28th January 2008, 10:13 AM
Omg benben.:eek: I was very impressed with that considering your age.:cool:

Gok should be proud to have taken you on as his padawan.:)

(EDIT: the title of this thread needs correction.)

benben2142
28th January 2008, 10:32 AM
WTF how come when I search this video on youtube it doesn’t come up? It only appears in my video record?

TheDirtyDigger
28th January 2008, 10:41 AM
Put more title words in the search. It's only a new vid so other more popular ones will come up first.

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2008, 10:58 AM
That's quite good for a first effort. :)

As liegeprime said, it needs more lighting. That looks like it was shot in the day time but the blinds/curtain was drawn - open them. Switch on any indoor lights in that room and if it's still too dark, use something like a desklamp. Trust me, you can never have enough light. ;) And as Soundwarp said, the camera angle needs to be adjusted to see the entire toy. dirge already pointed out that it's not an actual direct repaint and that there is a mould variation.

Also FYI G1 Swindle is a 1986 figure, not 1985. The "funky languages" in the instructions are English, Spanish and French.

You said, "The head can actually rotate down to the chest which is quite weird." - firstly, the head swings down, it doesn't rotate ('rotate' means to spin/turn), secondly you later go on to explain the reason for it in the arm mode... so how is it weird?

Gutsman Heavy
28th January 2008, 03:55 PM
oh be nice for once Gok!

good work benben

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2008, 04:26 PM
oh be nice for once Gok!
even though 3/5 of what I just said was merely reiterating comments from liegeprime, Soundwarp and dirge... (-_-)

...and there's a difference between constructive criticism and being actually mean or unkind. If I really wanted to be mean I would just comment on how ugly benben2142 is* ;) :p

*(jest!)

Tiby
28th January 2008, 04:31 PM
I'm satisfied with "rotate". Well done benben!

dirge
28th January 2008, 09:15 PM
MV75 - the two guns have always been able to combine. There is an extra post on the side of the larger gun - which your G2 Swindle lacks - that is present on Greyjeeper & Rollbar. This post allows Hepter's gun (think Vortex) to attach to the outside of the larger gun.

griffin
28th January 2008, 10:59 PM
Good effort for your first video. It's not going to be perfect, so don't be too concerned about (constructive) criticism.
What made you choose Rollbar as your first video review? Just a random selection from your collection, or is it a favourite toy of yours?

Hereticpoo
28th January 2008, 11:20 PM
OMG benben that was really good. Well Done :)

dirge
29th January 2008, 12:34 AM
For a first off review, you did a pretty good job, benben.

I would recommend taking into account the comments people have made here regarding improvements, for future reviews (especially lighting!).

One more thing I noticed, you need to keep the toy in frame at all times. There were a couple of occasions where you dragged Rollbar off camera, leaving an empty desk!

Before you undertake your next review, have a read of this thread then watch your Rollbar review. Try to be critical of your own work. That way, you're far less likely to make the same mistakes again (:

iceburn
29th January 2008, 07:11 AM
nicely done...though camera can be tilted downwards a little from the start as when you placed Rollbar on your table, the figure is totally hidden. keep it up...

Saintly
29th January 2008, 11:34 AM
a good little review... as mentioned before (lighting and camera angle), take on those constructive criticism, it will make your next review better!

Was disappointed that you didn't slot the fist or foot in, when you show the combiner mode.

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2008, 04:09 PM
People will always be making critical comments - and I don't mind them as long as they're valid and trying to be helpful as opposed to silly irrelevant comments. For that reason I also have all my video comments set on approval - because quite frankly a lot of people post stupid crap (often from people who want to insult you because you collect toys - despite the fact that they've intentionally taken the time to watch your toy review video and then post an insulting comment about it) (-_-)

I would recommend setting your video comments to approval basis too for that same reason.

And lighting's an easy mistake to make at first - I certainly did the same with my early videos, and lighting will always be an issue (just ask any professional cameraperson or photographer). That's why directors typically say "lights, camera, action!" (i.e.: lighting is of primary importance)

But lighting's an easy mistake to make when you start out because you're not necessarily aware of how bad cameras are at capturing light. Often you sit there in a well-lit room, and as far as your eyes can perceive, it's quite bright. But to the camera it's very dark.

I attended a wedding recently and during the reception dinner at moments when the photographers wanted to capture important/special moments, they used these really BRIGHT lights that just flooded the entire room (a reception hall) full of light. A lady at my table was facing front-on to one of these lights and it was so bright, she put her sunglasses on (remember that this was at night indoors)!!

Any time you see professional camera operators in action you can see them very carefully measuring and working with lighting.

Now I'm not suggesting that you need to set up some professional studio for making your YouTube toy reviews, but yeah - be aware that lighting is important and try your best within reason to make the room as well lit as possible: open windows, turn on all indoor lights and if possible/necessary use a lamp. That's all I do.

I try to shoot my videos during daylight hours whenever possible, but it's not always possible because obviously I'm at work during most daylight hours. :p

There are still people who give me crap despite my best efforts... these are the messages which I delete rather than approve. :p You can only do your best. :)

The_Damned
29th January 2008, 10:23 PM
nice work, cant believe that you managed to talk about him for 5 min though:)