PDA

View Full Version : Toy Sightings Format Poll.

griffin
10th January 2009, 03:38 AM
There is a bit of resistance to the new State-based sightings format, either because it is 'change', or because there are some who prefer series-bases sightings threads.

The advantage of series-based sightings is that it allows people only interested in one particular series to just look at sightings relavent to that series without sorting through all the other stuff posted, in several different (state-based) topics. The drawback is for people who collect multiple lines, or from all lines, they have to check every series-based topic anyway, and currently there are more active series-based threads than state-based threads.

The advantage of state-based sightings is that it encourages more sightings to be posted, because it is an all-in-one format. After all, if we don't have an incentive to post the sightings, people won't have any sightings to complain about sorting through. The drawback is having a lot more info being posted to read through to find what you might be looking for.

I can relate to both, but also would think that a store-chain-based sightings format would also be a worthy option, as new items usally appear at one store chain before the others, and some people only have certain stores near them, and would only want to see what has been sighted at that store chain recently.

I feel that we have a 'cause and effect' issue here, and that the priority must lie with which ever system encourages the most sightings being posted. If we cater for the reader at the expense of the poster, there won't be enough sightings for people to get enough of an idea of what is being released in which stores.

To offset the expected extra quantity of sightings, I instigated the 'First Sightings' topic, to at least run in conjunction with whatever sightings method we use. That way, people don't need to check any of the sightings posts until they see that a particular figure has been reported in that 'First Sightings' topic.

So the poll asks, which do you prefer as a poster and reader of sightings here - State-based, Series-based, Store-chain-based, or, don't care?

If it is Series-based, there would currently be 7 active sightings topics.
If it is State-based, there would currently be 6 active sightings topics.
If it is Store-chain-based, there would currently be 8 active sightings topics.

Kyle
10th January 2009, 09:44 AM
There is a bit of resistance to the new State-based sightings format, either because it is 'change', or because there are some who prefer series-bases sightings threads.

I believe it is the former. :p

griffin
16th January 2009, 03:04 PM
Okay, I think this poll has been running long enough. I was a little disappointed that we only got 18 people to vote, because even if you don't care, there was an option there for you.

Two thirds of those who did vote, were in favour of the new State-based system.

It's a pity that the sightings system was changed after Christmas, as most stores aren't restocking with much new stuff, or at all. So we haven't had a proper test of it yet.

I may re-open the series based topics for anyone who wants to still use them, and if I get the time, I'll copy any significant sightings in the state topics to the relevant series topics.

Tiby
20th January 2009, 07:58 PM
I like to see how toys are coming in across the country, and if need be, I can contact distant members to nab me some figures. It really helped me when the KMart Activators problem started, and the various TRU problems, because I could see that it was not just my store but a systemic problem.

Accordingly, I prefer the series-based system.