PDA

View Full Version : AHM Author to visit Comiczone Perth (March 14th)

Hereticpoo
12th January 2009, 03:22 PM
Hi guys,

According to Comiczone Perth, Shane Macarthy will be visiting the store for a fan meet / signing in February. This will be a good chance to get the rest of your AHM's signed and to talk about the story so far.

I'll post a date as soon as I can.

Just don't tell him about the 'review' thread! :D (JOKES!!!) :D

STL
12th January 2009, 03:43 PM
Hrm, if this is a weekend thing, I might be over.

Sky Shadow
12th January 2009, 04:27 PM
Just don't tell him about the 'review' thread! :D (JOKES!!!) :D

Actually, it's too late - he's already posted in the thread six times:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/search.php?searchid=72088

Hereticpoo
12th January 2009, 04:33 PM
Actually, it's too late - he's already posted in the thread six times:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/search.php?searchid=72088

I give up......my white flag is waving Skyshadow. You win, truce?

blackie
12th January 2009, 04:38 PM
Hrm, if this is a weekend thing, I might be over.

all the way to perth, just to see some guy, damm your a crazy kid :P

GoktimusPrime
12th January 2009, 04:53 PM
Hey! I've travelled interstate to attend TF meets! So have plenty of other members! :p

I wonder if anyone planning on attending this even would be willing to bring along a list of select questions to McCarthy (like how griffin submits select questions to Hasbro) - or maybe remind him that he does have an active account here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/member.php?u=287) and ask him to check back on the AHM review thread. ;)

STL
12th January 2009, 10:09 PM
all the way to perth, just to see some guy, damm your a crazy kid :P

Nah, I have a cousin I've been meaning to catch up with just before she starts uni and I've also wanted to catch the Perth gang too so trying to see if I can do a whole lot of things in one. Not to mention, the weather in Perth means the birds are all around and about.

blackie
12th January 2009, 10:53 PM
Nah, I have a cousin I've been meaning to catch up with just before she starts uni and I've also wanted to catch the Perth gang too so trying to see if I can do a whole lot of things in one. Not to mention, the weather in Perth means the birds are all around and about.

gota love short shorts

Hereticpoo
13th January 2009, 11:26 AM
I read the 'letters to the editor' in AHM 6 last night and was surprised to see that IDW plan to release the first edition of the TPB in Feb.

My guess is that Shane Macarthy will time his signing / fan meet with the release of the TPB.

AND other unconfirmed GREAT news for Perth fans......Trevor Hutchinson, cover artist might be there too!

:D :D Griffin we need a dancing emoticon! :)

hotaru_oz
13th January 2009, 01:28 PM
Ah crud I wish I could go :(
*looks at empty wallet and sighs*

1orion2many
13th January 2009, 01:54 PM
:oI live over here Hotaru and I'll still be pushed to have enough money to go:o:D.

Hereticpoo
13th January 2009, 02:03 PM
Ah crud I wish I could go :(
*looks at empty wallet and sighs*

Don worry I'm going to try and get as many signed copies of TPB or AHM issues for OTCA members as I can. :)

Sky Shadow
13th January 2009, 08:58 PM
AND other unconfirmed GREAT news for Perth fans......Trevor Hutchinson, cover artist might be there too!

That's great - Hutchinson's propagandaesque covers are amazing.

i_amtrunks
13th January 2009, 09:05 PM
That's great - Hutchinson's propagandaesque covers are amazing.

Damn straight, such a nice change in style to what we are normally treated to.

liegeprime
15th January 2009, 08:13 AM
good thing I gave collecting individual of this a miss. i just hate the local comic shops here, so out of date and so late (if they ever) in restocking. I have to go all the way to the city (Sydney) just to get this though. But that can wait..... money being reserved for something else.:D Oh if you's guys attending this can post pics please. always a sucker for meet-up pics.

i_amtrunks
15th January 2009, 10:23 AM
good thing I gave collecting individual of this a miss. i just hate the local comic shops here, so out of date and so late (if they ever) in restocking. I have to go all the way to the city (Sydney) just to get this though.

Wait, what? we have comic Book shops out here? I thought there was only Kings at Parra and a shop in Liverpool??

Sky Shadow
15th January 2009, 11:32 AM
Wait, what? we have comic Book shops out here? I thought there was only Kings at Parra and a shop in Liverpool??

For new comics there's also Phantom Zone in Chatswood, Kings Comics in Pitt Street and Comic Kingdom in Liverpool Street in the city (as well as the one in Liverpool itself). Has anyone else been to 'The Comics Bug' which is near me in the Eastern Suburbs. It's amazing in terms of its stock of boxed old toys (stacks of Masters Of The Universe in particular although they also had a G1 Jetfire and Skystalker last I checked.) But it only has back issues of 20th Century comics and the opening hours are hilarious - closed for three days a week and and then on the days it is open it's for anywhere betweeen two and three hours in the afternoon. Plus there are no prices, so you have to ask how much things are (which can be somewhat varied.)

i_amtrunks
15th January 2009, 12:04 PM
For new comics there's also Phantom Zone in Chatswood, Kings Comics in Pitt Street and Comic Kingdom in Liverpool Street in the city (as well as the one in Liverpool itself). Has anyone else been to 'The Comics Bug' which is near me in the Eastern Suburbs.

Thanks Sky Shadow, I know of all of those stores, but I took Liege as meaning that there were some kind of comic stores out west that I didn't know about, even if they were crap.

GoktimusPrime
15th January 2009, 02:50 PM
I've had a standing order at Phantom Zone Parramatta since G1 days - it's good for new comics that I pre-order. I've pre-ordered the TPBs for the IDW Time Wars reprint and Transformers Animated comics... never pre-ordered a TPB before so I'll see how I go with that. In terms of pre-ordered individual issues they've always been good except for that one brief moment during the Dreamwave era when there was a problem with distribution, but that was an issue with Diamond not PZ. Thankfully it was sorted out.

liegeprime
16th January 2009, 06:18 AM

Im referring to Phantom Zone in Parra trunks. Sure its several train stations away from QH:p but I consider it still local to say... Sydney which is waaaay out stationssssss from QH :D. I'm not a fan of preordering - even back in Phils. Mebbe because back then, Phils comic shops do get restocked about after a week that the new stuff has been out in US. So I never needed to preorder. Plus the fact that there's heaps of branches. Here. it's just hit and miss. Only the booming big shops get to restock as often/updated - mainly in the city. It's not very geek (and I use this term in a positive sense) friendly here:(.

Where is Kings Comics in Parra? is it near the station. I dont drive, so it's all leg power for me... Anybody got the address?

i_amtrunks
16th January 2009, 08:16 AM
Where is Kings Comics in Parra? is it near the station. I dont drive, so it's all leg power for me... Anybody got the address?

Sorry Neil, was thinking too far ahead of the typing, there is only PH at Parra. Used to be a Kings in the Riff but they shut down about 10 years ago.

GoktimusPrime
16th January 2009, 09:05 AM
There used to be a Comic Kingdom in Parramatta... their staff were ruuuuude. I remember them being cheaper than PZ but I'd go to PZ anyway just because I preferred their friendlier customer service.

liegeprime
16th January 2009, 09:56 AM
Well the owner in the city Comics kingdom is rude as well anyways, like staff, like boss I guess. So you using "used to be" means its dead as a doornail now. :( as Ive said, not a geek friendly place :(:( Coincidentally one of the staff in PZ looks just like ( and sounds like too) a friend of mine, I thought it was him first time I saw him, almost said "what are you doing working here?" heheheh.

Hereticpoo
16th January 2009, 10:49 AM
UPDATE

The meetup / signing will definately be timed with the release of the AHM Vol 1 TPB.

The meet will be held approximatley 1 week after the comic ships.

Trevor Hutchinson is still a maybe, everybody cross your fingers!

P.S. Griffin we still don't have dancing emoticons! :D

King Atlas
17th January 2009, 01:16 AM
I think the Liverpool store closed a couple of years ago. Unless they changed location?

roller
17th January 2009, 04:54 PM
i wonder if McCarthy will sign my G1 Blurr toy

hutch
30th January 2009, 03:55 PM
UPDATE
Trevor Hutchinson is still a maybe, everybody cross your fingers!

You can change that maybe to a probably ;)

roller
30th January 2009, 03:57 PM
wooooooooooooo we are blessed :)

pleased to meet ya

Hereticpoo
30th January 2009, 04:03 PM
:eek:

Welcome Hutch!

I can honestly say I never expected you here! Flabberghasted! :D

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2009, 04:22 PM
I look forward to seeing photos. ;)

Golden Phoenix
30th January 2009, 07:10 PM
I look forward to seeing photos. ;)

There better be photos
*shakes fist*

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2009, 08:37 PM
Lawl! :D

roller
30th January 2009, 11:13 PM
The Wa guys dont like photos

i have no idea why

Golden Phoenix
31st January 2009, 09:27 AM
The Wa guys dont like photos

i have no idea why

Don't worry, they're not going to steal your spirit

roller
31st January 2009, 07:12 PM
thats what i tell them

but they are still wary of that dang flashy picture taken machine :)

Kyle
1st February 2009, 01:16 PM
I remember another comic book writer Kurt Busiek came to Perth for a signing once (back in 1998... 10 years now :eek: ). He asked where the toilet was and some guy told him "this is Australia, just find a tree!" :o

griffin
1st February 2009, 03:12 PM
That's so funny.
I love messing with Americans' minds when I'm at BotCon. Making them think we are just a technologically deficiant country, and we have koalas and kangaroos as pets.

GoktimusPrime
1st February 2009, 07:19 PM
At least we use the metric system. :p

Golden Phoenix
1st February 2009, 10:31 PM
That's so funny.
I love messing with Americans' minds when I'm at BotCon. Making them think we are just a technologically deficiant country, and we have koalas and kangaroos as pets.

Ever managed to convince one about drop bears?
God that was a fun day

valkyrie_76
2nd February 2009, 03:52 AM
.......and kangaroos as pets.

Heh I did actually :) waaaaaaaaay back when I was living up north.

GoktimusPrime
2nd February 2009, 09:20 AM
I once told Americans online that I had a pet joey and that I fed it kangaroo food sold in cans at the supermarket, made from minced koala. They thought it was the coolest thing. ;D I like the episode of Simpsons when they come to Australia and it totally shows all the cheesy stereotypes that Americans have about Australia. I once spoke to an American Transfan over the phone who told me that my accent didn't sound Australian (re: like Crocodile Dundee or "Look at moi!" (Kath & Kim)). So I asked him why he didn't sound like Forrest Gump. :D

I first saw Beast Wars dubbed in Japanese and I once asked an American fan what their original Canadian English voices were like... he described Beast Wars Megatron's voice as being a "European" accent. I asked him if he meant British or French or German... he just insisted it was a "European" accent. Buh?! (o_O)

Golden Phoenix
2nd February 2009, 10:03 AM
I first saw Beast Wars dubbed in Japanese and I once asked an American fan what their original Canadian English voices were like... he described Beast Wars Megatron's voice as being a "European" accent. I asked him if he meant British or French or German... he just insisted it was a "European" accent. Buh?! (o_O)

This should explain everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEP7uti0PDw

hutch
14th February 2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Guys. This is definitely happening. Shane McCarthy and I will be doing signings Saturday Feb 28th at Comiczone. The All Hail Megaton TPB (#1-#6) should be available then. More details soon. Cheers!

Comiczone is located at 572 Hay Street, Perth, WA across the road from the Perth Town Hall.

valkyrie_76
14th February 2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah found out yesterday when I was in there.....pity Ill be away for work.

GoktimusPrime
14th February 2009, 04:03 PM
How many other cities have a Comiczone? Is Sydney the only one without?! (should I really be that upset considering that we do have Phantom Zone, Comic Kingdom, King's Comics, Hondarake, Kinokuniya etc.?) :p

This should explain everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEP7uti0PDw
Wow... forget being smarter than a 3rd grader... she needs to work on being smarter than a preschooler.

liegeprime
14th February 2009, 04:06 PM
How many other cities have a Comiczone? Is Sydney the only one without?! (should I really be that upset considering that we do have Phantom Zone, Comic Kingdom, King's Comics, Hondarake, Kinokuniya etc.?) :p

Um where's Hondarake? :confused: Hope it's not a store accessible only when your a non-sole pedestrian. :o

GoktimusPrime
15th February 2009, 05:10 PM
Level 1, 465 Kent St - upstairs from Roses Only. Here (http://www.fullofbooks.com.au/)'s their web site.

roller
20th February 2009, 05:02 PM
what time is this thing?

loophole
20th February 2009, 06:46 PM

Adelaide doesnt have one either that i know of.

Gutsman Heavy
20th February 2009, 11:59 PM
Adelaide doesn't have crap, apart from that one across from Movie Maniacs what is there?
I guess there's kollectable kaos but they focus so much more on model cars these days.

hutch
22nd February 2009, 05:56 PM
what time is this thing?

I've just heard that it has been postponed to Saturday 7th March (due to a late shipment of copies of the AHM trade) I think it'll be in the afternoon, but I'll confirm it here when I know for sure.

GoktimusPrime
22nd February 2009, 06:14 PM
Whenever it happens, please remember to take lots of fotos pholks! :)

valkyrie_76
22nd February 2009, 07:47 PM
I've just heard that it has been postponed to Saturday 7th March (due to a late shipment of copies of the AHM trade) I think it'll be in the afternoon, but I'll confirm it here when I know for sure.

If thats right..................OH YEAH !!!!! Ill be back from work by then.

WOOHOO!

STL
22nd February 2009, 09:33 PM
I am VERY fortunate that I haven't booked my flight yet. Was going to do it tonight. So so lucky.

Kyle
22nd February 2009, 09:37 PM
That was close. :p

roller
22nd February 2009, 11:03 PM

so its now definitely march 7? I need ze money from work so i dont wanna skip a day of joyful backbreaking labour :(:)

hutch
23rd February 2009, 09:28 AM
Edit: March ??th from 12.00pm at Comiczone in Perth (opposite Perth Town Hall). I look forward to meeting you chaps!

valkyrie_76
23rd February 2009, 08:31 PM
wooooo alright :D

Oilspill
23rd February 2009, 10:47 PM
Damn it's nice to have something come out of Perth so we have a chance to get to events like this. Just my luck that I'm flying to Sydney the night before! But as Hutch suggested elsewhere, I'll see if I can get Comiczone to organise a signed copy for me.

If that doesn't work out I may call on the services of you good gentlemen. :)

hutch
1st March 2009, 07:22 PM
Okay, I've just heard that Comiczone have had problems with their shipment of the AHM trade (ie: it hasn't arrived), and as a consequence the signing may be postponed another week or two. Sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. I'll post here when I have more news.

roller
1st March 2009, 10:40 PM
ooooooooooooooh bother

im itching to go to this

luckily i haven't asked work for this weekend off, the boss is super moody

Kyle
2nd March 2009, 12:43 AM
luckily i haven't asked work for this weekend off, the boss is super moody

Lucky. :)

Tetsuwan Convoy
2nd March 2009, 09:29 AM
I wont be able to make the 7th methinks lads. Oh well.

roller
3rd March 2009, 07:55 PM

wait wait wait

the 7th? whats happening on the 7th? :confused::eek:

Oilspill
3rd March 2009, 08:11 PM

Well the good news is that it is no longer March 7th. Hutch says it'll be a week or two after.

valkyrie_76
3rd March 2009, 08:13 PM
Dont mind an extra week but not two weeks.....working away again.

roller
3rd March 2009, 08:19 PM
now the man inside my head (Jonathan Gringle) says that this thing is not for another 2 weeks, and its not the 7th of March is it?

im 90% sure its not this week

hutch
5th March 2009, 02:50 PM
Hi guys and gals,

We have a new date, and the books are in transit as we speak, so this one is pretty solid!! :D Again, apologies for messing you around.

Shane McCarthy and I will be hanging out for a chat, signing some stuff, and you can pick up the trade of All Hail Megatron (pt1). I look forward to meeting you!

Saturday March 14th
ComicZone,
572 Hay Street (opposite the Perth Town Hall)
Perth, Western Australia

Google Maps link (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ComicZone,+572+Hay+Street&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=50.831014,76.289063&ie=UTF8&ll=-31.954001,115.860057&spn=0.005735,0.008562&z=17&iwloc=A)

valkyrie_76
5th March 2009, 05:52 PM
Alright.......looks like Ill be going then :D

llamatron
5th March 2009, 05:53 PM
Sweet, I'll be there!

roller
9th March 2009, 08:45 PM
its the 14th right? Which is this saturday correct?

hutch
10th March 2009, 02:16 PM
its the 14th right? Which is this saturday correct?

Yes! x2

Hereticpoo
10th March 2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the update Hutch-imus :)

Mate is this still for 12 noon?

Thanks

hutch
10th March 2009, 04:00 PM
Mate is this still for 12 noon?

Yes! 12 - 1pm is probably the best time

valkyrie_76
10th March 2009, 08:30 PM
High noon in the Wild West huh............which means getting to the CBD early for the long trek around the place with Comiczone being the final resting place for the afternoon.

Looks like my Saturday is booked up :D

STL
10th March 2009, 10:41 PM
Gah. So keen but my uncle's over this weekend. :(

hutch
13th March 2009, 05:27 PM
Hope to meet you guys tomorrow!:)

Sky Shadow
16th March 2009, 07:42 PM
So how did this all go? Anyone have a review of the day? :)

Hereticpoo
16th March 2009, 09:19 PM
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3778&page=2

Catch all the action there mate :)